Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elderscrollsonline $1,000,000 advertisement fail?

Comments

• HellboundHeartHellboundHeart Member UncommonPosts: 390
    I live in Florida so im screwed somehow. Hell were on the same side of the US as the damn parent company Bethesda.
    Keldor837 said:
    I was also bummed that I couldn't participate, due to living in New York.

Upon further research, I stumbled upon something that truly lit my torch and prompted me to grab a pitchfork.

The week before this was announced, Zenimax laid off a good chunk of their people. I understand that the budget for marketing is generally separate from development and other sectors in a company. But that's just far to sketchy. It looks from the outside like they did some number crunching. Then realized they needed to lay-off a bunch of people to come under a safe financial line with their earnings and the give-a-way price cost.

I would be happier, and more supportive to a company that keeps content makers, to make the game better. Than to see a bunch go, and in exchange have a less than 1% chance at winning $1,000,000.

I uninstalled and won't be supporting Zenimax anymore with my money.
    Not to nitpick but, it's buy to play. If you own it and it's but to play, why uninstall lmao? If I quit everything that had a giveaway with a small chance of winning then i would be doing nothing. Now it sucks for me too because I live in Florida but, i'm not giving up because I can't win. Am I pissed? Hell yes. But, i'm still going to play. it is a great game.

Also, the people they let go, were not working the last half of the year anyway, they were on retainer just in case. This was stated everywhere. Literally in ever article. None from the US were let go. Just retainers in other countries like Sweeden, Finnland, China, etc.

And to the OP, I have email from all of December and 2 in January, one on the first and one on the 7th.

Mind you, both my emails recieved these emails.
  • Keldor837Keldor837 Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Keldor837 said:

Upon further research, I stumbled upon something that truly lit my torch and prompted me to grab a pitchfork.

The week before this was announced, Zenimax laid off a good chunk of their people. I understand that the budget for marketing is generally separate from development and other sectors in a company. But that's just far to sketchy. It looks from the outside like they did some number crunching. Then realized they needed to lay-off a bunch of people to come under a safe financial line with their earnings and the give-a-way price cost.

I would be happier, and more supportive to a company that keeps content makers, to make the game better. Than to see a bunch go, and in exchange have a less than 1% chance at winning $1,000,000.

Not to nitpick but, it's buy to play. If you own it and it's but to play, why uninstall lmao? If I quit everything that had a giveaway with a small chance of winning then i would be doing nothing. Now it sucks for me too because I live in Florida but, i'm not giving up because I can't win. Am I pissed? Hell yes. But, i'm still going to play. it is a great game.

Also, the people they let go, were not working the last half of the year anyway, they were on retainer just in case. This was stated everywhere. Literally in ever article. None from the US were let go. Just retainers in other countries like Sweeden, Finnland, China, etc.

And to the OP, I have email from all of December and 2 in January, one on the first and one on the 7th.

I wasn't quitting it due to not being able to win the giveaway. Please read my post over again. I stated uninstalling after the layoff bit, which you were kind enough to point out some information I wasn't aware of (thank you).

However, your statement that it was everywhere and in every article isn't conclusive. Since I read several articles on it when it first happened. And none of them were privy to that information as of yet. Perhaps that was revealed a day or two later, and I had already stopped reading up on it (my fault).

It seems more like you've come in to "White-Knight" than to actually raise a point and provide additional information. Which makes you come off as an ass, instead of actually correcting miss-information.

Perhaps my interpretation of your post is jaded, but that's how it came across. Thanks for the information on the layoff. Could you provide a link to one of the many said articles with this additional information?
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    Keldor837 said:
    Keldor837 said:

I wasn't quitting it due to not being able to win the giveaway. Please read my post over again. I stated uninstalling after the layoff bit, which you were kind enough to point out some information I wasn't aware of (thank you).

However, your statement that it was everywhere and in every article isn't conclusive. Since I read several articles on it when it first happened. And none of them were privy to that information as of yet. Perhaps that was revealed a day or two later, and I had already stopped reading up on it (my fault).

It seems more like you've come in to "White-Knight" than to actually raise a point and provide additional information. Which makes you come off as an ass, instead of actually correcting miss-information.

Perhaps my interpretation of your post is jaded, but that's how it came across. Thanks for the information on the layoff. Could you provide a link to one of the many said articles with this additional information?
    http//forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/210312/more-layoffs-for-zenimax-update-confirmed

i think the bottom line is the layoffs have not seemed to affect their ability to pump out new content. but people have a right to play/quit games for whatever reason they see fit.

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    You guys know the last two DLC's were already done before game went B2P. Thieves Guild was already being worked on back then. So don't be shocked in the future if they start slowing down on DLC's.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Brenics said:
    You guys know the last two DLC's were already done before game went B2P. Thieves Guild was already being worked on back then. So don't be shocked in the future if they start slowing down on DLC's.
    Source?

According to Zenimax (Dec '14) they put work on Imperial City - the first DLC - on hold to get the console version out. And work on Orsinium - 2nd DLC - at that point was only in the early stages; also went on hold.

There was the justice system stuff released as a patch - and more was presumably planned as they had talked about 3 phases whereas we got 1 because - yep - "everything was put on the back burner" to focus on the console launch.
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited January 2016
    I live in Florida so im screwed somehow. Hell were on the same side of the US as the damn parent company Bethesda.
    Zenimax owns Bethesda. Zenimax is the parent company.
    Keldor837 said:
    Keldor837 said:

Outch. I was just informing the uninformed.

Go to kotaku, here, massively op, ign, game informed, GameSpot, and many others. I believe there all the same articles too. From Zenimax I mean, the article they gave to the press.

And please, saying a game is good or great does not make me a "white knight" lol. 

You're post, literally, sounded as if you uninstalled because of the giveaway but, I do see what you mean. Just remember, we did just get dlc and getting more with the dark brotherhood. So, nothing to worry about.

In the grand scheme of triple A games, ESO, SWTOR, WoW, FF, and EQ will always be top player choice and the games that will last the longer.

Again, I agree with you, the layoffs thing sucks but, if you're in the US or general EU, then we're fine. Until our boys here start getting laid off, we have nothing to worry about. Blizzard lets go of retainers everyday lol. That's what a retainer is or does.

josko9 said:
    All located in Bethesda Maryland lol. Eastern US time zone. Yet, Florida and Ney York were exempt. Why? That's all I want to know. Still going to play lol.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

josko9 said:
    All located in Bethesda Maryland lol. Eastern US time zone. Yet, Florida and Ney York were exempt. Why? That's all I want to know. Still going to play lol.

They have an office in Bethesda, but they are up by Baltimore now I think.  As people said complain to your state govs if you are pissed they are not there.  Same reason some states can not get in on the Power Ball.
    Horusra said:

josko9 said:

They have an office in Bethesda, but they are up by Baltimore now I think.  As people said complain to your state govs if you are pissed they are not there.  Same reason some states can not get in on the Power Ball.
    I just thought it was weird to exempt two big states. Florida got in on that powerball. I live in Sanford, Florida and some dude just won. Swear to go look it up. What luck huh? From the same circle k I go to everyday. Kid lived 4 block's away. Maybe I'll do some googling to find out why. Maybe it's a tax thing?
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    edited January 2016
    I received the email on the 9th. I decided it wasn't worth the effort knowing that it was like the lotto or publishers clearing house... there is no guaranteed winner, only a chance at winning. It's very doubtful that anyone won it. 
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    idk what to say but ... check your email more than once a quarter?
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Was a winner ever announced?
  • GremeGreme Member UncommonPosts: 66

SlyLoK said:
    Was a winner ever announced?

The draw was supposed to happen on 1st of February but I havent seen any news about winners yet.

My guess would be they are trying to contact main prize winner and doing all the legal work required before announcing who won it.

• corvascorvas Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Well I got the email from them in December but I wasnt allowed to join because where i live (The Netherlands) so why send me an email if i cant join anyway, they have all my info where i live so why send the email in the first place to us, so yeah for me this was also a Failed Campaign.
    Hell starting to think the whole thing was a scam (I do hate using that word). Here we all thought we would know the winner week of Feb 1st. Then we were told we would know the winners on Feb 22nd. Here we are on 25th and still nothing. 

Sad these guys can't fix bugs, lag, and even run a contest right. First mistake was not allowing everyone into contest. If you can't include everyone then don't run it. Second is not letting winners and others who won first week after contest ends. 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited February 2016
    i joined the sweepstakes without ever checking my email. It was all over the internet on any ESO related news.

EDIT: lies, i thought i joined, i was just playing the game... I think the east coast was not included.

Whatever, i'll just make my own million dollars working hard... (said no one ever :( )

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Keldor837 said:

The week before this was announced, Zenimax laid off a good chunk of their people.
    Yeah. So what. They probably use a variable headcount model, like most businesses do (if they're smart).

The budget implications are different, the tax implications are different (read: cheaper), and you hire and fire based on need. Basically it means you have a temp position with the same perks as a full-time employee. Your managers are standard headcount and all their direct reports are variable. Hell, some companies are even making managers variable these days.

My guess is those people were hired and Zen knew they had a shelf life. Work dries up, people must go.

If you work for any company in the U.S., your job is probably under variable headcount and you don't even know it. Companies are under no obligation to tell you.

Keldor837 said:

The week before this was announced, Zenimax laid off a good chunk of their people.
    Yeah. So what. They probably use a variable headcount model, like most businesses do (if they're smart).

The budget implications are different, the tax implications are different (read: cheaper), and you hire and fire based on need. Basically it means you have a temp position with the same perks as a full-time employee. Your managers are standard headcount and all their direct reports are variable. Hell, some companies are even making managers variable these days.

My guess is those people were hired and Zen knew they had a shelf life. Work dries up, people must go.

If you work for any company in the U.S., your job is probably under variable headcount and you don't even know it. Companies are under no obligation to tell you.
    They laid off all customer service people. No this is not normal for a game to just get rid of CS when the game has so many problems where you need to contact CS. They are hurting for people this is no surprise the way they have run the game. CS has become worse after this and it is even more telling how bad the company is when they can't even run a contest right. 

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Brenics said:
    Keldor837 said:

They laid off all customer service people. No this is not normal for a game to just get rid of CS when the game has so many problems where you need to contact CS. They are hurting for people this is no surprise the way they have run the game. CS has become worse after this and it is even more telling how bad the company is when they can't even run a contest right. 
    We run all of our CS people as variable headcount, even the managers and Andon team leads. Call volume goes gown, we chuck them. Call volume goes back up, we bring folks in. It doesn't take much to get a CS associate up to speed.

Seriously, CS is THE most expendable part of an organization. Companies don't hire mental giants for CS positions. Let be realistic. Zen is no different.

Oh they are a lot different than any other company I have dealt with.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/245740/authorize-access-code/p5

Better if you start this from page 1. Just this one thread shows how bad they are. But if you look around you will see many more of the same issues and problems when it comes to getting support to help.

Heck back when consoles went live they had problems for months not getting their crowns when they subbed. That was also before any layoffs. 

They really need to replace some key people that know how to direct this game and knows how to do support. Until then I really believe this game will never get to its potential.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    A game so desperate for players it gives out million dollar prizes? Eh, that in itself says a lot.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    karmath said:
    A game so desperate for players it gives out million dollar prizes? Eh, that in itself says a lot.
    isn't every game desperate for players? lol

doesn't the fact that they are giving away that much money to try and get more players tell you how profitable their game is?

to me it's just a marketing ploy like any other, like spending a similar amount on a TV commercial like blizzard does. is blizzard desperate for players? i'm sure they have spent far more than a million dollars on marketing their game post launch over the years.

We weren't allowed to see how they picked the winners. This isn't how a contest should be run, more so when they ignore us when reported bugs are hurting the game and players. Who is to say they didn't just pick friends.