Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ub3rgames Secures Darkfall Online LicensingDFO Darkfall News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageUb3rgames Secures Darkfall Online LicensingDFO Darkfall News

Ub3rgames has announced the final negotiations have been completed with Aventurine and that the company has secured licensing for Darkfall Online. Ub3rgames is currently at work on its iteration of the game called Darkfall: New Dawn.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• PsyckedPsycked Member UncommonPosts: 100
    What a complete cluster ****.... two indy companies remaking this....

I am the Cannon Fodder God

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Psycked said:

It's probable that the other company will have to stop now that licensing has been transferred to this company. They, I would assume, now have exclusive use of all assets and the name.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    and without a skillcap .................it will fail again

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    SBFord said:

Psycked said:

It's probable that the other company will have to stop now that licensing has been transferred to this company. They, I would assume, now have exclusive use of all assets and the name.
    No official word on BPG forums yet.
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• zeropridezeropride Member UncommonPosts: 41
    edited February 2016
    Scorchien said:

Not really. They plan to address the power gap through diminishing returns and skill point loss on death. I dont really care though. They are turning DF into a actual Sandbox game rather than it just being a PVP game like its always been. Which is my book is awesome.
  • mmoluvammoluva Member UncommonPosts: 323
    New Dawn of PVE.

mmoluva said:
    New Dawn of PVE.
    Lol. This guy.

If I were you I'd find any other game to play. Remember what happened to you the last time? 

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• DekapitatorDekapitator Member UncommonPosts: 261
    there's no help on the way, just more comments. we living in a beautiful world!
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• 4Renziks4Renziks Member UncommonPosts: 390
    hmm 2 companies making it?  There cant possible be that many people that want to play this game to sustain two companies.  Maybe I been in my cave too long.

playing: Dragon Age
    Waiting: for FF14, Mass Effect
    Want to try: Fallen Earth

• ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    edited February 2016
    Better to change the engine and start from scratch
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    What are the backgrounds of these companies? It was really fishy when Razorwax was bought by Aventurine when their debts were being called in ( left Razorwax as its own outside company so they could file for bankruptcy ) .. Something doesnt sit right here either.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    This could only get better if we found out the two involved in the Ant Simulator scam are behind this new company.
  • brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975
    Hasn't this game already had like 2 or 3 incarnations? I don't know the reason for the previous failures as I'm not into hardcore PvP games, but it sounds a bit like beating a dead horse. Just make something different instead of trying to revive a failure.
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    brihtwulf said:
    Hasn't this game already had like 2 or 3 incarnations? I don't know the reason for the previous failures as I'm not into hardcore PvP games, but it sounds a bit like beating a dead horse. Just make something different instead of trying to revive a failure.
    The original developers of Darkfall after screwing it up decided to instead of fix their existing game and add in many improvements which they promised for a couple of years decided instead to just make a new game (Darkfall Unholy Wars) which along with having some of the same problems as the original, was missing features, had clunkier combat, a horrible UI, had themepark style classes (which were later removed), and many other problems. In some ways it was better than DFO, but in many ways it was worse.

Most people just wanted an improved DFO, not the crap fest that was DFUW.

Now it might finally happen.

The biggest factor in the failure of both games was the development team behind it. They were pretty much the definition of incompetence. Hopefully the new crew can do what Aventurine was incapable of and actually turn Darkfall into the game it had the potential to be.
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    original df with a good alignment system in place so that there is pvp but sociopaths are punished?

a lot of us have been waiting for this... me included!

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• Xeno.phonXeno.phon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    This game gets passed around more than a box of twinkies at an Oprah convention.
    SBFord said:

Psycked said:

One would think that was the case but don't be so hasty; here's BPG's response:

"We just didn't want to sign whatever was put in front of us to get DF back. This is a serious endeavour and a contract we'll be bound to for years so we're not rushing to sign till we're ready and satisfied with the terms. Should be hopefully quite soon .

-Andrew".

What we have here are two distinct projects based on one hell of game that are inevitably both going to make their presence felt and do so in their own unique way. Either way Darkfall is back bitchs!

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519
    edited February 2016

Cecropia said:

mmoluva said:

New Dawn of PVE.

Lol. This guy.

If I were you I'd find any other game to play. Remember what happened to you the last time? 

It always struck me so weird that people are so quick to write off the PVE element as unneeded when Darkfall Online was meant to be the spiritual successor of Ultima Online. In Ultima Online, a rich vibrant world filled with monsters was always the top priority. The extreme interest in PvP was not really expected and, in fact, they dialed it back huge by giving everyone Trammel (A PvE server).

UO was a PVE world first. For PvP to actually matter in a Massive Multiplayer sense, you need to love the world. It needs to feel alive - like it's more than just a giant Battleground. If everything exists just to make it easier for people to kill each other and serves no other purpose, then you don't have a virtual world - you just have a MOBA. And MOBAs are better at being MOBAs.
  • LachdadanLachdadan Member UncommonPosts: 17
    DFO after release had thousands of players online and you coould wait several hours in queue to get in -the game was sold out and they were letting in ppl nearly weekly just to handle the massive interest - in few months there was just hundreds of ppl online.... as many stated - AV failed to execute a very high potential game with close to 0 updates and very bad /and missleading/ communication. Both DFO and DFUW are great games - i even like DFUW more after all the patches etc /they changed stuff maybe a year ago and it looked things are getting better/ but the new stuff started to communicate less and less and many major features/adjustments werent still adressed - hence there is very small playing community right now - they are looking to introduce Freemium model and everybody is hoping thats why they are so silent and are working hard on this model to be available asap. The new DFO games in development are nice to have, but i dont believe they will be able to change the game that drasticaly to get new players attracted or majority of old players to come back - those who want DFO back would it play even in the state it was shut down, but rest would need complete revamp
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Lachdadan said:
    DFO after release had thousands of players online and you coould wait several hours in queue to get in -the game was sold out and they were letting in ppl nearly weekly just to handle the massive interest - in few months there was just hundreds of ppl online.... as many stated - AV failed to execute a very high potential game with close to 0 updates and very bad /and missleading/ communication. Both DFO and DFUW are great games - i even like DFUW more after all the patches etc /they changed stuff maybe a year ago and it looked things are getting better/ but the new stuff started to communicate less and less and many major features/adjustments werent still adressed - hence there is very small playing community right now - they are looking to introduce Freemium model and everybody is hoping thats why they are so silent and are working hard on this model to be available asap. The new DFO games in development are nice to have, but i dont believe they will be able to change the game that drasticaly to get new players attracted or majority of old players to come back - those who want DFO back would it play even in the state it was shut down, but rest would need complete revamp
    I dont think either version ever cracked 20k subs so " massive interest " is a big overstatement.
  • LachdadanLachdadan Member UncommonPosts: 17
    well i believe it was more then 20k as in beginning there was thousand of players online and i used to wait in queue literally for 7-8 hours so i believe it was more - even if it was 20K i believe for such small company it was ok start and for the game itself it was more then enough
  • kdchankdchan Member UncommonPosts: 79
    edited February 2016
    Scorchien said:
    No they will have a new slot system (specializations), reduce the grind and make Darkfall a true sandbox like EVE thanks to localizing resources and banking.

You can direct ask them these questions in their website or reddit if you don't believe me, they will reply to your doubts.

In the hand of these 2 new companies DF1 will hopefully reach its true potential.

Long life Darkfall!!!

ps: Price for the first 10000 players will be only 20€ + a monthly fee included for the beta phase and the first release month (next fee will be only 10 € till the release when the price will be 14,50 €), very cheap, no cash shop, no potions, no skins, no p2w, everyone will have access to the same content. They will also add something like the EVE "plex", so you can play for free buying these items from other players.
    The nextgen sandbox
    Crowfall - LiF: MMO - Darkfall: New Dawn
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    I guess Crowfall is onto something.

Darkfall has been rebooting the world every couple of years now. Crowfall just intends to reboot the game world every few months.