Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon have enough investors?

Can they launch with the promised support thus far? Doesn't seem like they are looking anymore and no new videos have been released to attract anyone anyways. I hope they are fully funded because not releasing progress seems like a bad move otherwise.

Comments

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440
    edited February 2016
    Dunno,  I was a big $ Kickstarter funder but when the Kickstarter went belly up [mod edit] . I decided that would be the last time I would give them a dime.  If I play Pantheon then I'll play it once it goes live.
    Post edited by Amana on

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Can they launch with the promised support thus far? Doesn't seem like they are looking anymore and no new videos have been released to attract anyone anyways. I hope they are fully funded because not releasing progress seems like a bad move otherwise.
    If I were to guess, I'd say they are waiting until they have something truly impactful to show. Revealing too much about a game in pre-alpha can damage the perception of your product as well as slow down the development process.

• KilsinKilsin Member RarePosts: 515
    We will launch with or without an investor, the only difference is with an investor it will allow us to hire more staff and speed the process up while adding more bells and whistles.

Without an investor, we will still continue to work hard until we have a good quality game to release, but that may slow things down considerably.

Either way, the game will be made and will be released as a good quality product for everyone to enjoy. :)
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I was under the impression Pantheon already had an angel investor, I was just curious about the development timeline if no one else invests? I think the concept of the game "eventually" being made no matter what is wishful thinking.

People will only volunteer and/or work for peanuts for so long. If launch gets delayed by +5 years due to financial constraints, a project like this can crash and burn overnight. We've seen it many times before. So assuming no one else invests, what's a realistic launch year for Pantheon as of now?

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I think any company is going to tell you that it will launch when they finish it, especially this early in development. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

I was under the impression Pantheon already had an angel investor, I was just curious about the development timeline if no one else invests? I think the concept of the game "eventually" being made no matter what is wishful thinking.

People will only volunteer and/or work for peanuts for so long. If launch gets delayed by +5 years due to financial constraints, a project like this can crash and burn overnight. We've seen it many times before. So assuming no one else invests, what's a realistic launch year for Pantheon as of now?

They did receive money from an angel investor last year. I think Kilsin is referring to future or on-going investors.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Citadel of Sorcery is in the same boat, with a failed KS and no investor's, development time is really stretching way out. (6, 7 years now?)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I hope for the best, but don't expect me to hold my breath.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Love Brad's work (Huge fan) but there is a trust factor with money that has scared away people who would love to back this project. I almost dropped $200 bucks on this game to get my wife and I into beta when it happens. Little digging into the company and I thought better of it. Sad thing is if this game does launch I would drop money on it in a second. I wont back it but I hope it launches lol. What do you do lol?
  • dcutbi001dcutbi001 Member UncommonPosts: 49
    edited February 2016

[Deleted]
    Post edited by dcutbi001 on
    They made great progress in the first year considering they had people coming and going and had no outside investor. I don't really see how this project being stretched out, even by a few years, will make any difference. The graphics are solid and still rank lower on the totem than things like game mechanics. I don't think people are going to suddenly decide they no longer like the intended gameplay, and no one else has announced a game that intends to fill this specific niche.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Nanfoodle said:
    Love Brad's work (Huge fan) but there is a trust factor with money that has scared away people who would love to back this project. I almost dropped $200 bucks on this game to get my wife and I into beta when it happens. Little digging into the company and I thought better of it. Sad thing is if this game does launch I would drop money on it in a second. I wont back it but I hope it launches lol. What do you do lol?
    I wonder how many people would invest in these games if the only promise was that you'd get to play the game once it was released... not during a beta or alpha... only once the game is released.

Personally think most "backers" are just desperate gamers looking for something to play... no matter what state it might be in.

Yes, we have an angel investor, I was referring to the future and whether or not we get further funding/investors.

You cannot predict what our staff will do as you don't work on the team and have no idea of how dedicated we are, what our financial positions are, what time we have spare to dedicate to this game and what our level of passion for the game being made is, so I respectfully disagree with your assumption ;)

We are focussed on a 2017 release as per our website (https://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/faqs/#q45 ) and if anything changes, we will update accordingly.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited February 2016
    Dullahan said:
    They made great progress in the first year considering they had people coming and going and had no outside investor. I don't really see how this project being stretched out, even by a few years, will make any difference. The graphics are solid and still rank lower on the totem than things like game mechanics. I don't think people are going to suddenly decide they no longer like the intended gameplay, and no one else has announced a game that intends to fill this specific niche.
    A few years can make a lot of difference, as it's hard to say what else will come along within that time, as well as how well other projects will do. There are a few games in development that are trying new things, like COE  or Revival as an example. Such games if executed well could draw many looking for a deeper MMORPG experience than we normally see. In turn taking potential interest away from Pantheon.

There is always such a possibility. Especially when considering what many older vets are looking for is that longterm community driven experience, if any of those games achieve that, many others could suffer from it. Look at WOW...and it's effect on the industry back then. As it took many who were tired of the status quo at the time, which had a tremendous effect on other existing games going forward. In terms of population as well as their design focus.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Distopia said:
    Dullahan said:
    A few years can make a lot of difference, as it's hard to say what else will come along within that time, as well as how well other projects will do. There are a few games in development that are trying new things, like COE  or Revival as an example. Such games if executed well could draw many looking for a deeper MMORPG experience than we normally see. In turn taking potential interest away from Pantheon. There is always such a possibility. Especially when considering what many older vets are looking for is that longterm community driven experience, if any of those games achieve that, many others could suffer from it. Look at WOW...and it's effect on the industry back then.
    I'm considering every game currently in development that has been announced, including COE, Revival and the long list of other indie mmos. In my opinion, none of them threaten Pantheon directly. They are simply too different and do not offer what I myself, and I'd imagine many others are looking for in an MMO specifically. That isn't to say that I wouldn't play them, just that I wouldn't play them over Pantheon.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Did you support the kickstarter or any support thus far? if not then don't concern yourself about it. All i know is that Brad has a funny way of pulling the rabbit out of the hat when all seems lost. This game will be released imo, How about you come back when the game is released or when they make an announcement that the game will not be released. 

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I'm not a programmer, far from it.  But I do have a deep ability to analyze situations.

So think about this :

On the list of well over 200 mmos here on the game list page.  We can safely say many are full games complete with content and many with good graphics ( or at least expectable ). 

Most are Asian grinders with ridiculous cash shops.  Many of us wouldn't even think about playing them.  Still the key words here are "full games". 

Important :

If they made it ( well over 200 ).  Why wouldn't Pantheon ?........ Being released in Korea is not an excuse, they had to have a start some where in the world.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Pepeq said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    I wonder how many people would invest in these games if the only promise was that you'd get to play the game once it was released... not during a beta or alpha... only once the game is released.

Personally think most "backers" are just desperate gamers looking for something to play... no matter what state it might be in.
    No doubt gamers are desperate and for good reason. Game play is getting over simplified and dumbed down for the masses. Only skill games are being designed for is twitch. MMOs are being designed with less and less teamed content to level with, then slamming people together at end game expecting communities to form. Never a thought to how that happened best at the leveling side of things. Crafting is so useless in most MMOs it has no part in the economy or end game. There are many gamers stuck playing 10+ year old MMOs to find content and communities worth playing in. 
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Did you support the kickstarter or any support thus far? if not then don't concern yourself about it. All i know is that Brad has a funny way of pulling the rabbit out of the hat when all seems lost. This game will be released imo, How about you come back when the game is released or when they make an announcement that the game will not be released. 
    Did you take your meds this morning? This isn't the Pantheon website you dolt, we can discuss whatever topics we want. And we could've really used that rabbit out of the hat for Vanguard.....lol.

As for the original question, I get that Pantheon is shooting for a 2017 launch but will their current support get them there or do they need more investors. If they can make due with what they have that's great news.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Nanfoodle said:
    Pepeq said:
    Nanfoodle said:

No doubt gamers are desperate and for good reason. Game play is getting over simplified and dumbed down for the masses. Only skill games are being designed for is twitch. MMOs are being designed with less and less teamed content to level with, then slamming people together at end game expecting communities to form. Never a thought to how that happened best at the leveling side of things. Crafting is so useless in most MMOs it has no part in the economy or end game. There are many gamers stuck playing 10+ year old MMOs to find content and communities worth playing in. 

This. It's not about just wanting something to play, but what kind of something to play. Currently the market is full of (as seen above) and so when a title comes along proposing that it will be what is missing said title will get some pre-release love (/rimshot).

Community, before the last 15% of the content... Who'da thunk it?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Kilsin said:

Yes, we have an angel investor, I was referring to the future and whether or not we get further funding/investors.

You cannot predict what our staff will do as you don't work on the team and have no idea of how dedicated we are, what our financial positions are, what time we have spare to dedicate to this game and what our level of passion for the game being made is, so I respectfully disagree with your assumption ;)

We are focussed on a 2017 release as per our website (https://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/faqs/#q45 ) and if anything changes, we will update accordingly.
    Might not know your team, but you just gave the same reply as the COS team did 4 years ago.

But a big difference, you are boldly predicting a 2017 launch (they still won't predict a date for a publisher's demo) so good form.

Unless this title is released as only a shell of a MMORPG my guess is more like late 2018 or early 2019.  Let's see how it goes.

Not my first rodeo  B)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    edited February 2016
    Kilsin said:

I have no idea how much money you have, if you have a PH.D. in statistics or if you have a lucky rabbits foot but I can predict that you won't win the lottery.

There are long odds on any startup. The safe bet is on failure.  Maybe we will be pleasantly surprised. We will see.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KayydKayyd Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Kilsin said:

I have no idea how much money you have, if you have a PH.D. in statistics or if you have a lucky rabbits foot but I can predict that you won't win the lottery.

There are long odds on any startup. The safe bet is on failure.  Maybe we will be pleasantly surprised. We will see.
    I think you'd be surprised at the odds. It depends on time frame and whose doing the estimating. I've heard as few as 30% of startups fail to make it to market. I've heard as high as 95% fail within three years, most due to premature scaling. Meaning their hiring and expenses outpace their revenue as they grow and eventually that gets them in a bind.

So, a lot depends on having a smart CEO with experience in how to grow and scale the company. Of course, none of those numbers apply here because games have to spend a lot of money to even get to market.

This becomes even more complicated because many failing companies are bought either before (think Vanguard) or after bankruptcy and so continue to provide a product even though they technically failed. So it also depends on how you define "fail."

My point is, that the odds of failing are often greatly exaggerated and I wouldn't say failure is a safe bet. I've worked in four startups started by three different people and none of them failed.
    Kilsin said:

That's just it, I do know where we sit financially, I do know how far we are in development, I play the game, I am a part of the multiple weekly meetings, I know our forecast, milestones, goals, targets, I know we are hitting them all and on track to continue, which is why I can post such things and counter someone's opinion with actual experience and knowledge on the subject.

You also cannot predict with absolute certainty that I wouldn't win the lotto as there is a very small chance that it could happen, the odds are stacked against me, yes, but while there is still a slim chance and probability that I could win it, you cannot 100% rule it out and state that I couldn't, so while it may seem like a safe bet to take, it can just as easily go against you, so my advice would be to keep your money safe in your pocket and use it for a Pantheon sub when we release the game, whenever that may be ;)
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Kilsin said:

You also cannot predict with absolute certainty that I wouldn't win the lotto as there is a very small chance that it could happen, the odds are stacked against me, yes, but while there is still a slim chance and probability that I could win it, you cannot 100% rule it out and state that I couldn't, so while it may seem like a safe bet to take, it can just as easily go against you, so my advice would be to keep your money safe in your pocket and use it for a Pantheon sub when we release the game, whenever that may be ;)
    LOL... if you think 1 in 150,000,000 is something that could "just as easily go against" me it explains a lot :)

Good Luck Don Quixote!!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018