Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Back to the Beginning With the Open Meridian Project

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageBack to the Beginning With the Open Meridian Project

The oldest MMORPG ever, Meridian 59, is making a comeback, and we got the scoop on the project at PAX South.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    I guess they're trying to "re" invent the wheel.
  • barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618

I guess they're trying to "re" invent the wheel.

Sounds more like they're trying to restore an old wagon wheel.

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• BanegrivmBanegrivm Member UncommonPosts: 262
    Not the oldest MMO, although that's amusing. Neverwinter Nights (NWN for short) on AOL was first by a few years in 1991 followed by Shadows of Yserbius in The Sierra Network (later bought by AT&T and rebranded the Imagination Network) a year later. Meridian 59 didn't come out until 1995. It's a little late to the party for being "the first". Guilds from the original NWN are still around today as well.

Banegrivm
    Leader of the 1st Fist of Light
    www.1stfistoflight.com

• ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757
    Banegrivm said:
    Not the oldest MMO, although that's amusing. Neverwinter Nights (NWN for short) on AOL was first by a few years in 1991 followed by Shadows of Yserbius in The Sierra Network (later bought by AT&T and rebranded the Imagination Network) a year later. Meridian 59 didn't come out until 1995. It's a little late to the party for being "the first". Guilds from the original NWN are still around today as well.
    Nothing like getting charged by the hour....if you could even get on. :)
    @Banegrivm ;
    Could you imagine the number of f2p gamers who's heads would utterly explode getting charged 5 bucks an hour?
    LOL

Thourne said:

Banegrivm said:

Nothing like getting charged by the hour....if you could even get on. :)

Man I remember those AOL bills, holy crap. People spent hundreds of dollars a month just to play. It was insane. No one in their right frame of mind nowadays would pay money for that. The one thing NWN had going for it that most modern MMO's don't is a tried and true sense of community. Although it also had real role playing (and I'm not talking about that bad soap opera drama we're stuck with nowadays that people call RP) and it had meaningful PVP... not to mention... the DM room! ;)

Banegrivm
    www.1stfistoflight.com

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Server 102 1996! "Taki"  "Shadow Rose". :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Again nostalgia beats actual sense.

Now i did play the original game and while it was pretty radical for it´s time. I see no reason at all to bring it back.

This have been a good conversation

• UrncallerUrncaller Member UncommonPosts: 167

Banegrivm said:

Yeah I use to pla that on AOL as well then went on to Underlight which a lot have forgotten about.
  • DaenksDaenks Member UncommonPosts: 6

Banegrivm said:

Oldest "Commercial" MMO is the key word there :)
    Daenks said:

Banegrivm said:

Considering we were charged hourly to play the games he mentions, they were definitely commercial ventures.
  • inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441
    oldest, non-text MMO, yes there were chat rooms and MUD's but there was nothing even close to M59!! Loved it and played it everyday until March 16, 1999 when EQ1 was launched!!

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Daenks said:

Banegrivm said:

Yea wasn't Archmage before both of those? I can't quite remember it was so long ago...

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

oldest, non-text MMO, yes there were chat rooms and MUD's but there was nothing even close to M59!! Loved it and played it everyday until March 16, 1999 when EQ1 was launched!!

NWN on AOL and Shadows of Yserbius as well as Underlight (mentioned above) were non text MMO's. Again, out before M59 as those of us simply referred to it as at that time. They were great games. Better sadly than most modern games which could learn quite a bit from their examples.

Banegrivm
    www.1stfistoflight.com

• A1learjetA1learjet Member UncommonPosts: 258
    lulz played it and at the time loved it!

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    edited February 2016
    They planning to charge us $6 an hour again to play it? I had many $300 - $600 a month gaming bills back between this and AOL NWN. AOL was the worst they charged you for service, then charged you extra for the game section, then another fee for NWN as it was considered premium. God Bless Ultima Online that set a reasonable price point for online gaming that has endured for 25 years.
  • Rockinw311Rockinw311 Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Personally, I miss TradeWars and the BBS days
  • RenantonRenanton Member UncommonPosts: 26
    I remember when NWN shutdown and we got an influx of players into a small game called Lords of Empyria. Also don't never seem to see anyone ever mentioning the TEN Network which had D&D Dark Sun Online. That was my first online game in 1995. What fun :)

psiic said:

They planning to charge us $6 an hour again to play it?

I had many $300 - $600 a month gaming bills back between this and AOL NWN. AOL was the worst they charged you for service, then charged you extra for the game section, then another fee for NWN as it was considered premium. God Bless Ultima Online that set a reasonable price point for online gaming that has endured for 25 years.

Not sure what NWN you were playing but they never had a double charge like that. It was always just a flat hourly fee for AOL itself. At one point they talked about making a games channel after AOL bought the Imagination Network from AT&T so that they could move Shadows of Yserbius onto it. Then they were going to put NWN on it, add in Multi-Player Battletech: Solaris, The Realm (which I tested in alpha), and UO. Again, everything for an hourly charge. At that time AOL had just gone to a flat fee to compete with other ISP's. But, Steve Case the CEO at the time didn't like the objections to the fact that no one would pay an hourly fee when they could pay a monthly fee as UO was currently doing. He got greedy and being egotistical instead of making it work and trying to make a profit he lead by his ego and shut down the entire games section sealing the fate of NWN until Bioware secured the rights to make their version of an NWN game.

Banegrivm
    www.1stfistoflight.com

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I used AOL games for one month.. Got the bill then went to Gamestorm for $9.95 a month. There I found some of the best games ever.. Warcraft , Air Warrior , Legends of Kesmai , MP Battletech , Aliens Online , Silent Death , Magestorm , Darkness Falls and plenty more.

Course EA eventually bought Gamestorm and some of the titles ( KesCo titles if I remember. Still using the code from those games today ). Shut the games down and then eventually Gamestorm once they ran everyone off ( tried to move everyone to UO - Sent everyone a disc ). Sad too.. Gamestorm went from 50k-100k concurrent users to barely breaking 10k very quickly.

When people say first MMO.. Do they not include the 2D tile based or text based variants that came prior? They had many players at once also and the worlds were huge as well.
  • JaimlJaiml Member UncommonPosts: 130
    My memory may be fooling me (sometimes you remember things better than they were). BUT being able to capture an opposing guilds Guild Hall in M59 was fun. Various sizes and locations were a neat touch. These new "modern" instanced Guild Halls with everyone having the same ones does not cut it.

As for NWN... I was in college and could not afford to play. I still remember pouring over magazine articles about the game. I remember making plans on how to schedule 6 hours of play time in my week once I had a job and could hopefully afford to pay for that much play time! =)

I'm sure memories are flowering everything up and painting out the bad stuff. It sure seemed like a great time back then!
  • ULBlue13ULBlue13 Member UncommonPosts: 28
    edited April 2016
    NWN on AOL and Shadows of Yserbius as well as Underlight (mentioned above) were non text MMO's. Again, out before M59 as those of us simply referred to it as at that time. They were great games. Better sadly than most modern games which could learn quite a bit from their examples.

Just found this thread on a search. Some of you might like to know that Underlight is also active - in fact, it more or less never went away. It's free-to-play now. It relaunched as Underlight: Shades of Truth, then as Underlight: Clash of Dreams which is what it is now. (Its website has recently moved back to the original address Underlight.com, after a long series of to-ings and fro-ings.) Still on the same basis as ever; no NPCs, ALL the game characters are the players or GMs, and their actions (plus live interference from GMs from time to time) determine the storyline. (And, yes, the exact same endearing graphics, but it doesn't matter, the sheer variety makes up for the technical primitiveness). Thriving recently with a good number of new players joining, the problem used to be that I'd log in and find nobody much to interact with, but in the last few months it's been bustling and great fun to play.

I always have a special interest in Underlight, because it's like no other MMORPG that I know of - I suppose that comes of having been built before time had settled what an MMORPG was supposed to be like; it dates from the Cambrian Explosion of online games!
    If you write, be polite.
  • mikeb0817mikeb0817 Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Wait, wasn't The Realm Online around before M59?