Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ok, now I'm upset. SQ42 release now anticipated for late 2016/early 2017

Comments

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100

Colt47 said:

I'm hardly worried if they feel they have to delay their first episode an extra six or eight months given the shear amount of cogs that are turning in this monster of a project.

Well, that time is now. SQ42 was originally slated for July 2015 and this has been retconned as well. So... you mean another 12 months. Also, it won't look a damn thing in-game as proposed long ago, because Roberts fired Illfonics. Oh, mo-cap is snazzy, but you don't play mo-cap.
  • QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    edited February 2016
    Shodanas said:
    Wait, let me get this straight.

1. They split the single player game in 3 Episodes because $100 million is not enough to develop it all at once.
    2. They Split Every of these 3 Episodes into chapters that get released individually because $100 million is not enough to make at least one full Episode.
    3. They now delay this mini Chapter of an Episode another year.

Sounds legit.
    Can you please provide us a link to the relevant info ?

Thank you.
    Sq42 was only mentioned as a single game from the inception.  I don't know if the plan was to make it 3 parts, there has been mention of making it such like the Wing Commander franchise was split.  It's hard to tell since the stretch goals don't really state that aspect specifically.

I think @MrSnuffles is thinking it will be 3 episodes each of which will then be split into individually released chapters.  There was no mention of this, in fact CR stated in Episode 59 of 10 for the Chairman that Squadron 42 will be 3 episodes, the first of which will be 70 missions.  The chapters are just sections/groupings of the missions, like you see in single player games all the time.
    Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    edited February 2016
    Shodanas said:
    Wait, let me get this straight.

1. They split the single player game in 3 Episodes because $100 million is not enough to develop it all at once.
    2. They Split Every of these 3 Episodes into chapters that get released individually because $100 million is not enough to make at least one full Episode.
    3. They now delay this mini Chapter of an Episode another year.

Sounds legit.
    Can you please provide us a link to the relevant info ?

Thank you.

In 2014 they said we get the first 10 Mission at the end of the year:

Eric Peterson: What's the plan of action for [Squadron 42]?
    Phil Meller: Well, the first ten missions for the end of this year, fingers crossed. So we'll [start] with those, and then, in the background, we'll have other teams working on the followup ten; You know, ten, there are segments of ten missions every month, after.
    Eric Peterson: You're kind of doing the modular release kind of schedule, like the rest of us where, it's interesting- it's a serial sort of release, kind of like the old movies, the old Buck Rogers movies, or something.
    Phil Meller: Yeah yeah yeah, that's the plan, yeah like cliffhangers at the end of them, like Flash Gordon, like the old Flash Gordon serials. You know, the big cliffhanger at the end of the, every ten mission segment.

–Eric Peterson and Phil Meller on February 19, 2014  YTIcon Wingman's Hangar episode 57 @23:58 on RSI YouTube Channel

In terms of when Squadron 42 is launched, [...] when we put it out it will be ten missions with the intro, with the intro it will be ten missions, and then we will do a further four chapters with ten missions each, so there will be fifty missions on the launch.

–Erin Roberts on April 11, 2014 - Geekdomo Interview with Erin Roberts and Ben Lesnick from Cloud Imperium Games @11:30 (http://www.twitch.tv/geekdomo/b/519001941)

For the first chapter [of Squadron 42], we're aiming for it to be towards the beginning of next year.

–Erin Roberts on April 11, 2014 - Geekdomo Interview with Erin Roberts and Ben Lesnick from Cloud Imperium Games @11:13 (http://www.twitch.tv/geekdomo/b/519001941)

Quesa said:
    Sq42 was only mentioned as a single game from the inception.  I don't know if the plan was to make it 3 parts, there has been mention of making it such like the Wing Commander franchise was split.  It's hard to tell since the stretch goals don't really state that aspect specifically.

I think @MrSnuffles is thinking it will be 3 episodes each of which will then be split into individually released chapters.  There was no mention of this, in fact CR stated in Episode 59 of 10 for the Chairman that Squadron 42 will be 3 episodes, the first of which will be 70 missions.  The chapters are just sections/groupings of the missions, like you see in single player games all the time.

You don't know what you are talking about. You lie just as much as CR. Stop spreading misinformation.

Have Faith!

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

edited February 2016

Phil Meller: Well, the first ten missions for the end of this year, fingers crossed. So we'll [start] with those, and then, in the background, we'll have other teams working on the followup ten; You know, ten, there are segments of ten missions every month, after.
    Eric Peterson: You're kind of doing the modular release kind of schedule, like the rest of us where, it's interesting- it's a serial sort of release, kind of like the old movies, the old Buck Rogers movies, or something.
    Phil Meller: Yeah yeah yeah, that's the plan, yeah like cliffhangers at the end of them, like Flash Gordon, like the old Flash Gordon serials. You know, the big cliffhanger at the end of the, every ten mission segment.

–Eric Peterson and Phil Meller on February 19, 2014 [source]

Huh, they'd retconned so hard, even I'd spaced this one. Thanks for correcting me. So, 6 months delay, plus 8 months delay, plus 12 months delay.

edit: Oh, and that's for the single player mode, which is actually a separate game. Hmm, I haven't seen production delays like this since....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freelancer_(video_game)

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Man, It'd been a while since I'd seen that great old Star Marine playable demo they showcased back in 2014. It still looks sooooooo much better than any other SC bits before or since.

I hope they realize that they still have to live up to the promise of that demo. The quality of SC gameplay will forever be judged against that.  
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Man, It'd been a while since I'd seen that great old Star Marine playable demo they showcased back in 2014. It still looks sooooooo much better than any other SC bits before or since.

I hope they realize that they still have to live up to the promise of that demo. The quality of SC gameplay will forever be judged against that.  
    "No, that is what is in 2.0, that's what it's 2.1" < sic >

"I get so tired of people asking me..."
    edited February 2016
    Adjuvant1 said:

Huh, they'd retconned so hard, even I'd spaced this one. Thanks for correcting me. So, 6 months delay, plus 8 months delay, plus 12 months delay.

edit: Oh, and that's for the single player mode, which is actually a separate game. Hmm, I haven't seen production delays like this since....

You are welcome, most Star Citizen Members will try to twist those words or say that is perfectly normal for game development.

I think delaying this long, splitting the game in Episodes and then into chapters of just 10 chapters just shows that they are fighting teeth and nails to get anything out there.

Re: Freelancer

Which incidentally is another CR mismanagement and probably his biggest show of incompetence as a Producer. That will change soon though, i do not think that either game (SQ42 or SC/PU) will ever be a polished and smooth experience with all the promised features.

PS: You know the best part? It shut up @Shodanas and @Quesa because they got caught with their pants down. I bet we won't hear them say anything about this in this thread any more.

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Late 2018/early 2019 for Star Citizen or should I say PU now?
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    bcbully said:
    This is about Squadron 42 a completely different game they are struggling to release at the same time as the other game they are struggling to release which is Star Citizen a multi-player game set in the same universe.

- Michael Bitton

- SEANMCAD

bcbully said:
    The latest conspiracy theory nonsense dictates, associated with a private investigator hired last fall, Roberts will seek out people to make scapegoats, as internet detractors and naysayers, claim they caused such irrepairable harm to the project, nuke it from the inside and sue everybody. This is probably why people like Smart and such want to keep such close info on character profiles of Gardiner and financial data of the, now, 10 or 14 entities (I'm not sure what the number's up to now) holding CIG's assets. OR Smart is as Slugworth/Mr. Wilkinson, whichever version you prefer.

There's no way to know, honestly. For this thread I'd rather stick to facts with cited references.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    bcbully said:
    This is about Squadron 42 a completely different game they are struggling to release at the same time as the other game they are struggling to release which is Star Citizen a multi-player game set in the same universe.
    Yeah SQ42 morphed from offline MODE to that other game.. but it's all good, "the scope changed." Translation: "The more cash you throw at us, the more we want, and if we can figure out a way to make it 4 games (PU + a SQ42 trilogy,) we will."

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited February 2016
    bcbully said:
    I worded it that way because SC appears to be the sum of both now separate games. An umbrella if you will? S42 late 2016 early 2017 optimistically? The PU late 2018, early 2019? At that time you can say SC has been released? 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    MrSnuffles said:

–Eric Peterson and Phil Meller on February 19, 2014  YTIcon Wingman's Hangar episode 57 @23:58 on RSI YouTube Channel

In terms of when Squadron 42 is launched, [...] when we put it out it will be ten missions with the intro, with the intro it will be ten missions, and then we will do a further four chapters with ten missions each, so there will be fifty missions on the launch.

–Erin Roberts on April 11, 2014 - Geekdomo Interview with Erin Roberts and Ben Lesnick from Cloud Imperium Games @11:30 (http://www.twitch.tv/geekdomo/b/519001941)

For the first chapter [of Squadron 42], we're aiming for it to be towards the beginning of next year.

–Erin Roberts on April 11, 2014 - Geekdomo Interview with Erin Roberts and Ben Lesnick from Cloud Imperium Games @11:13 (http://www.twitch.tv/geekdomo/b/519001941)

Quesa said:

You don't know what you are talking about. You lie just as much as CR. Stop spreading misinformation.

Have Faith!

You're right about the splitting off of the chapters/missions as separate releases, sorry bout that.  I took it as you saying they were splitting them off as separate purchases, coupled with me not following the game until after June~ish of 2014, I didn't see those quotes until you put them here.  Only ever seen where they talk about having the three full-game episodes (1, 2, 3).

Adjuvant1 said:
    bcbully said:
    There's no way to know, honestly. For this thread I'd rather stick to facts with cited references.
    I await your first post sticking to this.
    bcbully said:
    bcbully said:
    I worded it that way because SC appears to be the sum of both now separate games. An umbrella if you will? S42 late 2016 early 2017 optimistically? The PU late 2018, early 2019? At that time you can say SC has been released? 

Not quite. First of all SQ42 is split into 3 Episodes with 5-7 chapters so we will not get a full game any time soon. We will get some 10 mission teaser and intro.

As for the release dates. I doubt we will see any stable or remotely polished version of the PU with all the promised features before 2020. We will get more and more stuff crammed into the "alpha" test bed but a real game, no chance.

SQ42 will probably be finished with it's episodic and chapter nonsense by then, hopefully.

That is my optimistic view and i have experience with C/C++ projects and i managed international teams spread across the globe. This shit is a nightmare to manage and it is pretty obvious that even great producers leave because it is just too much to handle. (i think 2 or 3 senior producers left now already correct me if i am wrong)

- Michael Bitton

- SEANMCAD

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Adjuvant1 said:

You are welcome, most Star Citizen Members will try to twist those words or say that is perfectly normal for game development.

I think delaying this long, splitting the game in Episodes and then into chapters of just 10 chapters just shows that they are fighting teeth and nails to get anything out there.

Re: Freelancer

Which incidentally is another CR mismanagement and probably his biggest show of incompetence as a Producer. That will change soon though, i do not think that either game (SQ42 or SC/PU) will ever be a polished and smooth experience with all the promised features.

PS: You know the best part? It shut up @Shodanas and @Quesa because they got caught with their pants down. I bet we won't hear them say anything about this in this thread any more.

I will commend you for actually using factual evidence to support your argument. It's better than 99.99% of posts. Freelancer is also a great example. However, what they did here that they didn't do with Freelancer is axe something. Maybe it was CR, maybe it wasn't, but I'm hoping it signifies a refocusing of efforts towards S42. Delays are normal, 2 year delays are abnormal. Guess we'll have to stay tuned and see what happens.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Quesa said:
    MrSnuffles said:

Quesa said:

Have Faith!

You're right about the splitting off of the chapters/missions as separate releases, sorry bout that.  I took it as you saying they were splitting them off as separate purchases, coupled with me not following the game until after June~ish of 2014, I didn't see those quotes until you put them here.  Only ever seen where they talk about having the three full-game episodes (1, 2, 3).
    Not really your fault then. Most people don't even know what has been said because to be frank, they change their story every couple of months to fit their agenda. Most of it is also hidden and removed from their webpage by now to cover their asses.

- Michael Bitton

- SEANMCAD

edited February 2016
    MrSnuffles said:
    Not really your fault then. Most people don't even know what has been said because to be frank, they change their story every couple of months to fit their agenda. Most of it is also hidden and removed from their webpage by now to cover their asses.
    Some things have changed and mutated but I expect this.  The It's Alpha and things could change disclaimer is on nearly every page.  I'm not seeing changes being blatantly hidden as there are too many people watching as either interested, wishing success, and wishing crash-n-burn, for that to really happen.  

I think a lot of this really stems from the development style.  I don't remember many games with such overnight success having so much open to the public.  I cannot say that I've had your development experience as my projects are always for smaller communities but projects change all the time, in not only scope but initial designs.  In fact, by the release of a lot of projects, much of the initial design decisions have changed completely.  

People aren't used to that, they don't see the issues and solutions that happen in a more, traditional, isolated development process.
  • ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757
    @MrSnuffles ;
    Some good posts.
    Thanks for the detailed points of view based on the data.
    edited February 2016
    It's not just "their webpage", though. It's on many sites. Look at the wikia which is supposed to be fan supported.

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Anticipated_release_schedule

The citation numbers go all over the place, as the page has been edited over time, from "social/planetside" module on down. 22, 2, 3, 21, it's obnoxious.

For example, wikia cites http://www twitch.tv/geekdomo/b/519001941?t=11m13s (reference 28 ) for "beginning of 2016 Approximate date" of SQ42 release, and that link, the citation used when that part of the article was written, no longer exists.

edit: Actually, "...when that part of the article was written." should be "...when that part of the article was edited".

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    edited February 2016
    Adjuvant1 said:

Colt47 said:

I'm hardly worried if they feel they have to delay their first episode an extra six or eight months given the shear amount of cogs that are turning in this monster of a project.

Well, that time is now. SQ42 was originally slated for July 2015 and this has been retconned as well. So... you mean another 12 months. Also, it won't look a damn thing in-game as proposed long ago, because Roberts fired Illfonics. Oh, mo-cap is snazzy, but you don't play mo-cap.
    My position is that I put money into an idea that may or may not become a game.  If the game is getting delayed, that means that we are assuming it is getting released, which is a win in my book for a KS started 3.5 years ago.  I liked the idea of a space sim in the same genre as wing commander and that is what he is attempting to make.  What else is there to ask about?

The games I'm worried for are Shroud of the Avatar, Underworld Ascendant, Mighty No. 9 (because net code was honestly worth the pain they are going through...), and EQ Next.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    For months now 99 % of the comments in all forums expect SQ 42 for Christmas 2016 (or early 2017) ...

....and the OP is upset .... because he just found out   ?

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    For months now 99 % of the comments in all forums expect SQ 42 for Christmas 2016 (or early 2017) ...

....and the OP is upset .... because he just found out   ?

Have fun
    Right, that's why the fan-supported wikia, still to this moment says "Beginning of 2016"

Oh, man, I feel another retcon coming. It feels like, well, this...