Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A bit discouraged over lack of HARD CC...

2»

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Kyleran said:
    At the end of the day Mark will implement his vision of CC and we will have to see if its something that meshes well with the overall combat expereience.

And I'll have to decide if its a game I'll be playing.
    He might even surprise us all and do something very different with the same effect to stop zerges and that is more fun, anything is possible.

In any case will it be interesting to see how it all turn out. :)
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Viper482 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Solid CC was a hallmark of DAOC combat, a single 8 man should be able to defeat a small zerg, if this title skips this mechanic then I'll call it fail right now.

They need to decide if they are catering to DAOC vets or Warhammer fans, two very different audiences IMO.
    Disagree. You are part of a very small hardcore crowd that played Daoc. 99% of the population of players did not run 8 man groups. You 8 man group people were loathed by most as elitist non-team players. Most did not care about the war at hand, only themselves. Many refused to even communicate with the leaders on the field. And I disagree, 8 people should not be able to defeat an army. You few who did it may have had fun, but 8 man groups were bad for Daoc.

Bingo. I had a lot of fun chasing down the elitist 8 mans all the time. Once they were gone we were back to the actual war at hand.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited December 2015
    Viper482 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Solid CC was a hallmark of DAOC combat, a single 8 man should be able to defeat a small zerg, if this title skips this mechanic then I'll call it fail right now.

They need to decide if they are catering to DAOC vets or Warhammer fans, two very different audiences IMO.
    Disagree. You are part of a very small hardcore crowd that played Daoc. 99% of the population of players did not run 8 man groups. You 8 man group people were loathed by most as elitist non-team players. Most did not care about the war at hand, only themselves. Many refused to even communicate with the leaders on the field. And I disagree, 8 people should not be able to defeat an army. You few who did it may have had fun, but 8 man groups were bad for Daoc.
    I actually played where the real war was, Mordred, and beating 8 mans was an accomplishment

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Asariasha said:
    Loke666 said:
    Asariasha said:
    Find it kind of strange that people complain about crowd control and to be honest @Loke666, DAoCs crowd control system is what made the PvP great and challenging. What seems unfair or unbalanced is what actually made the first MMOs and especially DAoC great. Crowd control for example: sometimes it lead to epic moments, be it epic for you or your opponent. Point is, you experienced epic moments in PvP/RvR and not just the casual balanced and evened out zergfests that are called great PvP in todays MMOs.

By the way. DAoC offered several counters when it comes to crowd control effects. Accessible via realm abilities, player abilities, master level abilities and champion abilities - be it passive or active abilities.

The gret challenge - or let's call it art of pvp - was to make use of all the offered abilities in the best way.
    And I still think it was over the top but taste differs.
    In the beginning, yes. Later on Mythic implemented several counters to crowd control effects. But you're of course right. Taste differs.
    It was far too late for a large number of players as well. ToA lead to the mass exodus and the fixes to the ridiculous CC in early DAoC came way too late. 

Hard CC can be a real tactical tool, but it also needs to come with a heavy price for using it. Long cooldowns, massive resource hog, some type of negative effect on the caster are some examples of ways that hard CC can be made more meaningful. There also needs to be multiple counters which are also somewhat restricted in use.

When you get to a point where you can make plays to have enemies use their counterplay to line up for hard CC, it becomes far more strategic in use. Class knowledge of your enemies becomes far more important as well. That's where the game becomes more fun for more folks. 
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Having not played DAoC, can someone explain the differences between hard and soft CC? Is it just length of CC, or is it relating to inability to escape from the CC?

As for what I feel should be in CU, it all comes down to what the devs want to achieve. If they want long term success then a heavy CC based game wont cut it. Any time you take control away from a player and then that player dies, the player feels frustrated. Its not fun for the player and the more negativity a player feels, the more likely they are to quit. 

There are plenty of other ways to keep the combat varied, tactical and skill-based without pissing off players. WAR had short CC, but I saw and was a part of many small groups / raids that could take on the zerg and win. Rather than using CC or overpowered skills, the skill came from from distributing damage (tanks ftw) and clever use of morale abilities, using player collisions to protect squishies. The more skillful players still came out on top, but both sides always felt in control and had fun. 
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    edited December 2015
    I prefer slows and snares and partial resists and etc.; they're much less of an binary on/off "I Win! No, I made my saving throw!" button.

But I doubt you'll ever find any CC system that's universally considered ideal for PVP purposes.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    DaOC hard CC was a weak mechanic abused by weak players..
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited December 2015
    Scorchien said:
    Says a player who didn't understand the counters or how to simply avoid it by not running in a line behind the leader with /follow on.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395
      DAoC CC was a ton of fun.  My second 60 I played an Albion Sorcerer and if you think CC was just spamming AOE mezz, then you have no idea how the game was played.  CC was definitely part of it and the bad players had no way of countering it.  If you paid attention to abilities, specifically realm abilities, there was a break available for like 5 points, not hard to get.

The take away being, if you didn't know how to deal with CC you were a bad DAoC player.
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Whoever invented CC was an idiot. :D
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:
    Says a player who didn't understand the counters or how to simply avoid it by not running in a line behind the leader with /follow on.

well we know what assuming makes you ...

Played DAoC from beta for years and am well aware of its mechanics , and i stand by my statement .. Weak weak weak
  • will75will75 Member UncommonPosts: 365
    My opinion is still the same, Hard cc is much like speed class, very important to roaming pvp. Maybe i am biased /shrug. I enjoy hard cc

• continuumccontinuumc Member UncommonPosts: 9
    They haven't said anything definitive on CC yet. It's still under discussion internally. Many classes have soft CC and I personally agree that soft CC is the way to go. I think, philosophically, they have said that they do not want lots of hard CC because it removes a person's ability to play their character. I agree  with them. We don't need stuns, we have roots. We don't need knock-downs, we have knock-backs and slows. I think the game can work just fine without hard CC and honestly don't see any real advantage that hard CC brings to the game that outweighs the reasons for not having it. 

Vellic - Guild Leader
    CU News - RealmsUnchained.com
  • Seige105Seige105 Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Hard CC's in Daoc allowed smaller more organized and more skilled players the ability to lock down and take out overwhelming numbers. Was hard cc a pain in the butt on the receiving end, Yeap, But it was the great equalizer imo..  Something other RvR similar games have been missing.. No way to counter the zerg of the mindless.  Hopefully there are hard cc's very similar to Daoc.  One of the things new rvrers will have to learn is his how to think on your feet when encountering other players.  No more of the lets throw numbers at em to win a fight.. This is just my humble op. and I realize other have different memories and thoughts on the matter.