Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen Number and Amount of Funds Raised - true or fake ?

Comments

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Kyleran said:
    As there is no other source, I'm inclined to believe they are true until evidence to the contrary is presented, my opinion on it is meaningless.

Meanwhile I'm having fun.

I agree. After all, what would be the purpose of lying? They're essentially admitting to collection over $100 million and they haven't released their game yet, and they receive plenty of negative feedback on that every day. I almost think that a $6 million game would have been much easier for them. It leaves you with way fewer options. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I dont care but if I were to lean one way or another.. I would say one is fake. At this point I wouldnt put it past them to buy their own packages to inflate the numbers. After all that has been their biggest marketing chip and not the actual game(s) they have been " working " on.
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Most likely true. Or at least true'ish to the best of thier ability.
    SlyLoK said:
    I dont care but if I were to lean one way or another.. I would say one is fake. At this point I wouldnt put it past them to buy their own packages to inflate the numbers. After all that has been their biggest marketing chip and not the actual game(s) they have been " working " on.

If I had to venture to guess on one number being fake, I would say revenue, but not the complicated route you're talking about. I would question whether subscription revenues are stated in the number. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Quesa said:
    Talonsin said:
    Quesa said:
      Most of the discussion revolves around people arguing semantics or how Chris Roberts said this in 2012 but changed a word in 2016 - HE'S NOT DELIVERING ON HIS PROMISES!
    Welcome to the support side of SC.  You are doing a great job of masking the real issues with non-issues, like most of the supporters, so you are off to a great start!    Lets hide the fact that Star Marine was said to be releasing in a few weeks 8 months ago and is now indefinitely postponed after all those promises brought in many backers and mask it behind something completely off the wall like making it appear one word has changed in 4 years.  My hats off to you sir!  You will make a great apprentice for Erillion. 
    Which means, it's delayed.  Shocking that this can happen in a development project but lets just ignore the fact that people, on these very forums, are saying SM is scrapped.

You're just proving my point.
    NO, you are proving my point. 

You start a post accusing people of arguing semantics and use the example of changing "a word" as the basis for their argument.  When I point this out suddenly you jump to an entirely new issue of the project being delayed and how game companies do this all the time.

Are people mad because CR changed a single word - NO (your first post is worthless)

Are some people justifiably upset they purchased this product based on Chris Roberts telling everyone several times in videos and interviews that it was weeks away from release as far back as 10 months ago?  YES  (Your second post is worthless)

I'm not arguing about what CR did and if its right or wrong.  I am saying worthless posts like yours are on both sides accusing people of using semantics and then doing it yourself.  Changing topics when you get called on an issue.   90% of the topics about this game are crap/meaningless/baseless/simple trolling

I also take back the part about you being an apprentice to Erillion.  At least he tends to stay on point and moves on when his position is weak on an issue.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    Talonsin said:
     and moves on when his position is weak on an issue.

I move on when a thread has stagnated and people (including me) repeat themselves over hundreds of posts and many forum pages without anything new being added.

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    Talonsin said:
     and moves on when his position is weak on an issue.

I move on when a thread has stagnated and people (including me) repeat themselves over hundreds of posts and many forum pages without anything new being added.

Have fun
    A bit touchy there eh?  I'm sorry, you are of course perfect and everything about you, Chris Roberts and Star Citizen are perfect.  Perhaps we should give you a new forum name?  Something that is synonymous with perfection or perfect being...
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Talonsin said:
    A bit touchy there eh?  I'm sorry, you are of course perfect and everything about you, Chris Roberts and Star Citizen are perfect.  Perhaps we should give you a new forum name?  Something that is synonymous with perfection or perfect being...
    Garfield ?

Have fun
    edited February 2016
    Erillion said:
    Garfield ?

Have fun
    Not my first choice but if you like it, who am I to disagree. 
    <3

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    This poll is meaningless. The real question should be "Do you believe they have majority of money left from Crowdfunding". Because clearly they are years away from a finished game. 
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

edited February 2016
    Erillion said:
    As some posters have predicted, the ongoing Free Fly event has increased the number of "Star Citizens" ... its over 1.2 million now.

Seems like quite a few of those have converted their free accounts into paid pledge accounts as the number of ships ("UEE Fleet") has increased by 2200 in the last 1.5 days.
    According to the "Funds raised" number, they received around 2.6 million bucks in January 2016.

With around 260 employees and the "Rule-of-Thumb" 10k$ per employee per month in the gaming industry (total cost)  the burn rate and the monthly income seems to be approximately alike, even in slower months like January (right after the Nov/Dec X-Mas sale).

Have fun

PS:

Added source for Rule-of-Thumb:

http://geekandsundry.com/what-video-games-really-cost-to-make/

".... “$10,000 per man [per] month” is a current rule of thumb in the industry....."

Have fun

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381

All we know is that they've said these are the numbers.  No way to ascertain whether they are accurate.   If it's useful for them to be inaccurate, well....

I wouldn't trust Roberts as far as I could throw him.  And, if he's been caught out with lies, hyperbole, or extreme exaggerations, then you should be a little suspicious too.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    To me it is pretty obvious,Star Citizen would come off as amazing if they told us they only had 2 million and a few employees.
    Knowing how much they have to work with just makes the operation look really bad,so why would he fake those numbers?

Early on i have no doubt they will boost the numbers a bit to encourage bandwagon jumping but after awhile,they are not going to be showing us 5 million worth of work after 3 years and have 100 million in their bankroll that would just be dumb.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Starbuck1771Starbuck1771 Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Erillion said:
    rochrist said:
    Why do you care?
    The authenticity of these numbers has been called into question by some posters in this subforum. I am interested what the result of an anonymous poll w.r.t. those numbers would be, hopefully based on a high participation rate.

Have fun
    Welcome to the weird world of Derek Smarts fanboys. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Erillion said:
    Talonsin said:
    Garfield ?

Have fun
    Galactus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931
    They got over 90 million and now going on 4years. Its not what you like or dislike. Its what you say your going to do. I really feel sorry for those that game money to this.. there is so much going on in the back ground you have no idea of. What your going to be wondering in the end is.. ok.. where did all that extra money go to? The game cost NO WHERE NEAR 90mil to make..
  • QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    edited February 2016

All we know is that they've said these are the numbers.  No way to ascertain whether they are accurate.   If it's useful for them to be inaccurate, well....

I wouldn't trust Roberts as far as I could throw him.  And, if he's been caught out with lies, hyperbole, or extreme exaggerations, then you should be a little suspicious too.

I think you just described the entirety of the game development industry.

Zeblade said:
    They got over 90 million and now going on 4years. Its not what you like or dislike. Its what you say your going to do. I really feel sorry for those that game money to this.. there is so much going on in the back ground you have no idea of. What your going to be wondering in the end is.. ok.. where did all that extra money go to? The game cost NO WHERE NEAR 90mil to make.. 
    How exactly are you quantifying that statement?  I mean, even comparing the money to other AAA MMORPG development costs, $90 million is rather low.  Are you insinuating that there isn't enough money to complete the project?  

I'm also curious what things going on in the background that we have no idea of that you know.
    Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Erillion said:
    rochrist said:
    Why do you care?
    The authenticity of these numbers has been called into question by some posters in this subforum. I am interested what the result of an anonymous poll w.r.t. those numbers would be, hopefully based on a high participation rate.

Have fun
    Welcome to the weird world of Derek Smarts fanboys. 
    technically Derek Smart would be our fanboy since some of the people I see posting have been bringing up concerns before he entered the ring. But you keep on mentioning him so that you have a someone to blame if/when SC goes tits up because Chris Roberts has no idea how to run a business
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    edited February 2016
    "Have Fun, Have Fun, Have Fun, Have Fun, Have Fu.. *Gunshot*  Hav...Fuu...nn.."

EDIT: *Another Gunshot double tap style* 
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

Wizardry said:
    To me it is pretty obvious,Star Citizen would come off as amazing if they told us they only had 2 million and a few employees.
    Knowing how much they have to work with just makes the operation look really bad,so why would he fake those numbers?

Early on i have no doubt they will boost the numbers a bit to encourage bandwagon jumping but after awhile,they are not going to be showing us 5 million worth of work after 3 years and have 100 million in their bankroll that would just be dumb.

Why would you make that assumption. There is a saying that goes Mo Money Mo Problems. It's not wrong. There are plenty of problems that the money has introduced and ends up taking more money to resolve. So, yes, having a more limited budget and a centralized location may have made things easier. May have. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Erillion said:
    rochrist said:
    Why do you care?

Have fun
    I don't think majority of the concerned ones were concerned with those numbers.

I think they were more concerned about the progress, the timeline and the deliverables.
  • Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Kyleran said:
    As there is no other source, I'm inclined to believe they are true until evidence to the contrary is presented, my opinion on it is meaningless.

Meanwhile I'm having fun.
    Hey you can't expect all of us to be rational too! Now who is being really irrational!!!!!
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
    edited February 2016
    klash2def said:
    "Have Fun, Have Fun, Have Fun, Have Fun, Have Fu.. *Gunshot*  Hav...Fuu...nn.."

EDIT: *Another Gunshot double tap style* 
    ** whistles a tune **

** you hear Morse code **

** H **

** A **

Have fun ;-)
  • Little-BootLittle-Boot Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Dunno if the numbers are correct or not. I would say that it is over-budget and beyond programme, and there seem to be a lot of red flags getting raised. But if people want to keep throwing money at CIG then who am I to complain... some day their might be a game worth buying that comes out of it. 
    edited February 2016
    Brenics said:
    This poll is meaningless.

As meaningless as Star Citizen being in the mmorpg.com "Top Voted Games / In Development" for most of the time ? Even in its current non-polished, non-feature complete Alpha state.

Have fun