Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC Beta First Impressions

Comments

• HellboundHeartHellboundHeart Member UncommonPosts: 390
    PvP on the other hand, good god...... I have never ever seen something more stupid than this. The rogue system is so much exploitable and has so much troll potential, i think this will be the game breaker for the Division if Ubisoft does not rework this. For example if i am in a group and decide to turn against a member of my group the whole group gets flagged as rogue. Honestly Ubisoft.....................
    Not true. Not true at all. You have to be within 100 feet of said member for you to go rogue as well.

Tested this several times last night, as I was the bait. 

See I get side tracked, still in group but, not with them, like line of sight kind of thing. All of a sudden, they got rogue and I did not so I was able to flank them and save my boys. Only when I hit, shot at them, did I, personally, get rogue for 20 seconds.

If you're not in the area when the team goes rogue, then you do NOT go rogue at all. 

So yes, you can be rogue and the rest of the group will not be.
  • ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528

Arskaaa said:

nomadie said:

"It’s original" That made me laugh. This game feels like Destiny had sex with Nether while cheating on Nether with Day-Z and made this mess. The Dark Zone can only have 24 players at any given time so say you have 12 friends you now pretty much own the Dark Zone... It felt really boring with the really slow respawn rates for AI mixed with not many AI on the map. The pvp is purely level based and item based and has little to no skilled needed which can ruin pvp, you and 3 friends can show up and a dude who is much higher level with better gear can just kill all 3 of you like it was nothing. Great idea for a game but with the lack of balance in pvp and little AI to find in both pvp and pve it got really boring fast.

WAIT WHAT?! 24 player max in pvp? tis is mmo? wtf?

It's not an mmo by technicality, but it has its feet firmly planted in mmorpg tradition. It's a beta with tons of the final content stripped from it, so these "I blew through the content and now am bored" are rather silly and ignorant.
  • HellboundHeartHellboundHeart Member UncommonPosts: 390
    Scottgun said:

Arskaaa said:

nomadie said:

"It’s original" That made me laugh. This game feels like Destiny had sex with Nether while cheating on Nether with Day-Z and made this mess. The Dark Zone can only have 24 players at any given time so say you have 12 friends you now pretty much own the Dark Zone... It felt really boring with the really slow respawn rates for AI mixed with not many AI on the map. The pvp is purely level based and item based and has little to no skilled needed which can ruin pvp, you and 3 friends can show up and a dude who is much higher level with better gear can just kill all 3 of you like it was nothing. Great idea for a game but with the lack of balance in pvp and little AI to find in both pvp and pve it got really boring fast.

It's not an mmo by technicality, but it has its feet firmly planted in mmorpg tradition. It's a beta with tons of the final content stripped from it, so these "I blew through the content and now am bored" are rather silly and ignorant.
    I agree 100% with your entire statement. 

I would also like to know where people get the idea that this is the full game and it's what were getting at launch.
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Maric said:
    Loving the game myself. Ran without a hiccup. Bought it. My only question is how will Ubisoft keep the game fresh? New cities? L.A. expansion? Damn fun game though. Good write up.
    Expanding will be easy...How many Cities are in the US/World? ;)
    Maybe add in some open areas/mountains/Forests. 

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Played this weekend on PS4 and will be buying it as well. I had a blast, for the first time I felt that the pve and pvp were nicely split up yet both were fun and different enough from the other that I'll actually have a blast with both sides of the game. It will be interesting to see how the game evolves in the next few years. Can't wait.
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    I have to agree with Arskaaa. Calling a game having a zone with a maximum of 24 players a "shooter MMORPG" is funny.

I know the requirements for a game to be called MMORPG have dropped quite a bit over the last years. But really, 24 players is a "massive" multiplayer online rpg ?

Not sure what all the hype about The Dicision is anyway. Main reason I see it's just because it is the next big game to be released. I can't see any spectactular or new regarding gameplay though. Watching beta I got bored after 10 minutes.
  • LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782

Arskaaa said:

nomadie said:

I wanna know this as well. Surely must be more then 24 peeps...
  • Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    I think it has potential and a solid foundation BUT imo it gets boring quickly, has a confusing overly complicated ui and very clumsy control....besides, in aworld with tes and fo i just hate static background worlds where i cant interact with everything
  • Shinji10THShinji10TH Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Very bad game, only play it if you have nothing else to play and if you like punishing yourself.
  • FacelessSaviorFacelessSavior Member UncommonPosts: 188
    Won't be long before the PVE-Only crowd is crying about not being able to get the best loot and the dark zone setup changes considerably.
  • FacelessSaviorFacelessSavior Member UncommonPosts: 188
    And this is not an MMO. 24 player limits? No persistence whatsoever? Let's not kid ourselves.

"The large persistent world of WOW" LOL!!

Other than that solid review. We need more like this, that actually give game details.
  • SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    Funny to see all the comments on the BETA as if it were the final product. this was a very polished snapshot of things we could do. I hit level 8 and have been upgrading my armor and weapons to purple and am having a pretty good time in the dark zone watching people go from friendly to enemies the second the counter for the chopper hits 5 seconds. very intense running around with loot trying to keep away from people and get your gear carried away to safty
  • Jonnyp2Jonnyp2 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    Won't be long before the PVE-Only crowd is crying about not being able to get the best loot and the dark zone setup changes considerably.
    I was under the impression that there would be comparable gear from certain pve activities for those players.  

What bothered me about the beta was the amount of content that was locked.  I did like three quests then got directed to the dark zone.  Idk.. it just seemed kind of sketchy to not show more of the game.
  • Sassy_Gay_UnicornSassy_Gay_Unicorn Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Forgive my ignorance, but could someone tell me what a 'Season  Pass' is?
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Just finished watching TotalBiscuits views on The Division, i think he has a point, the game tries to be like Destiny, but, it lacks a lot of the things that make Destiny 'fun', and the thing that might be holding the game back from being more fun, may well be the whole 'tom clancy' thing, it would probably have been better off being either a bit more futuristic, or more 'fantasy' orientated. After watching both TB's and Unit Losts youtube videos on The Division, i've decided that there is no absolutely no reason to bother with The Division, Ubisoft fails again.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdNv1alwCSc   Total Biscuit
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAUSZH3CWd8  Unit Lost

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    It's essentially preodering a DLC pack. Generally it is cheaper getting a season pass that buying all the DLCs individually but you don't know exactly what all is included.
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Idea gaming has taken from Sports. Normally in sports you would buy a ticket for each game. With a season pass you would pay a higher amount upfront all at once. Yet the price per ticket is less like buying in bulk. You receive tickets to every game during a season. With games it pretty much about paying for DLC and other possible downloadable content in the same fashion. i.e game has 3 planned DLC at 20 bucks each totaling 60 bucks. A season pass would get you all 3 for probably around 50 bucks.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Avanah said:

Forget how many cities there is.... you have only 1/5 of New York so far and they have said that they will make the first expansion content set in the subway system/under ground. 

So just bringing in the rest of the city would be enough for two or three expansions. =P 

This have been a good conversation

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    tawess said:
    Avanah said:

Forget how many cities there is.... you have only 1/5 of New York so far and they have said that they will make the first expansion content set in the subway system/under ground. 

So just bringing in the rest of the city would be enough for two or three expansions. =P 
    Well if/when they finish New York. I hope they do an oversea's place like London.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    edited February 2016
    Game was plagued with hackers this weekend. The dev's have said that there is anti-cheat, server side tech, in place that isn't turned on. But server side tech will only fight vs active cheats (infinate ammo, no cone of fire, speedhacks, etc).

Some of the worst hacks in the game so far are aimbot and wallhacks (ESP). These hacks allow you to know where everyone is in the area around you, and on top of that, ensure headshots 100% of the time. As these are passive hacks, they are undetectable on a server-side level.

Meaning the only way to detect them is through a 3rd party program running in tandem with the game. (punkbuster, gameguard, etc) Unfortunately these anti-cheat programs are notoriously easy to circumvent.

https://vid.me/7LWi

Sadly this is pretty much the case for almost any PC MMO-style shooter. The only way to combat this is to have full time admin's monitoring the server 24/7 and investigating suspect players, and banning them real time. This is costly, time consuming, and I don't see a company like ubisoft putting time and effort into this solution.

Not when the game is 100% intended for console first, with PC as an afterthought. Console shooters are not plagued with these issues. So implementing a costly solution for address a minor segment of your overall player base isn't savvy from a business standpoint.
  • HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282
    Anyone else get amused by how little some of the loudest voices on both sides seem to have actually played the game? Talk about bad, or incorrect info, sometimes you need to put the waders on and sort thru it to get to the heart of the matter.

To me, The Division is a shooter like Borderlands is a shooter. It's not Call of Duty, it's not Battlefront, and it's definitely not an excellent shooter in the style of ARMA, and if you came into the game expecting that, then you are going to be disappointed, and it definitely means the game is not going to be what you are looking for, and it probably won't entertain you, or be worth your investment. It is what it is....

I guess my "experience" was different than more than a few folks. I put in way too much time over the long weekend (starting Thursday) and I had over 9 hours into a couple of characters. I never waited an hour between fights in the Dark Zone, there were times that spawns or areas had been cleared, but I could easily find another one within a couple of minutes. I had a great time with the PvP, it was fun clearing the Construction Site or Sporting Good's Store with friends, when another group would roll in and we'd have the moment of cautiousness wondering what the other group would do. 

I had an excellent time running Madison Square Garden on hard mode with a group of 4, when we were split from level 4 to 7, and the mobs were level 7, it wasn't a cake walk. The fight on the Garden Floor, and in the restaurant area were slow. There was a lot of staying behind cover, and firing, not even trying to get up and aim it. And yes, people complain about the mobs with bats, but that adds something to it, because if you can't stand behind cover, you've gotta hit the runners before they get to you.  The group had to run it smartly, calling when we had to fall-back, watching a certain quadrant. Perfectly tactical? Nope, but it was fun. Honestly, the best groups I ran it with used different gear. LMG's to more easily suppress several enemies made less rounds come at us, and go faster. Shotguns and high damage for the runners. The group I ran it with just Assault Rifles had a much harder go of it.

If I had any doubts, it's probably over a few things. I realize that in many cases you were overleveled which is likely why in some of the single player/co-op area could be very easy. There was a distinct lack of randomness once you'd done the missions on the map, I hope come launch there will be more going on. I also was not keen on Dark Zone being broken up, level 1-7, and 8+. I understand why they do it, but you fly thru those early levels so quickly, and it prevented me from running with some friends, until I rolled another character to go with them.  That all ties into content. It's a themepark, appearing linear, title, which means that no matter how much fun I have with the story, I'm going to need some kind of worthwhile content to keep my attention until they do release more. I saw enough to pick up the game, but I'm not sure they can ever add "enough" content to keep people happy.

Last note that I keep seeing people saying, was that in terms of weapons they are all the same, and making it simple, bigger numbers are better. Bullets miss, so it's about picking the right tool for the job. I had a shotgun with 3092 damage, but it's DPS was not great, and it only had 5 or 6 rounds. The AK-47 I had did about 311 damage per bullet, with a 34 round magazine. So really, I'd have to hit with 10 rounds from the AK to equal one shotgun shell. Now if you are confident you are going to hit with every single round, then sure, but that's not what was happening in game. Add in the gun "benefits", like extra head shot damage for the marksmanship rifle, or 2% heal for a kill, and they were unique tools. 

Me? I liked it, I had did not follow the game, so I missed how Ubisoft may have changed things, and as such, no expectations. I got a chance to enjoy what was there. Was it perfect? Nah, but what is? For me, it was definitely quite a lot of fun.

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282
    This game looks cool right up until a guy wearing a t-shirt soaks up 3 magazines of 7.62x39. Sorry, but I work in Afghanistan, so I can tell you that looks comically ridiculous. There is a way to make a game like this interesting without making the bad guys simply eat a hundred rounds of ammunition before dying.
    Why would you expect the game to play like ARMA?

No offense intended, but I've certainly seen nothing that indicates they were going for a realistic shooter? Is Ubisoft responsible for your expectations? And that's a legit question, did they bill the game someplace as a realistic shooter that would make you think that it is?
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    I just had my first snowstorm... It was really intense seeing it rolling in and pretty much making it impossible to see more than a few feet in front of you. The pulse skills came in VERY handy. 

This have been a good conversation

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Game sounds repetitive and boring to me with too few enemies that are nothing but bullet sponges. What's the point of a 'realistic' setting in NYC and Tom Clancy (stories always based on realistic scenarios, weapons, factions, etc.) when the enemies are bullet sponges, AI with baseball bat can beat you down after emptying entire assault rifle clip into him, it's a cover shooter in 3rd person like Gears of War (doesn't exactly invoke realism), numbers start flying off in the air like an MMO when you do damage (instantly takes away any sense of realism seeing damage numbers over and over for bullet sponge enemies), shooting people point blank with a shotgun or head shot with a sniper rifle doesn't result in a lethal, one-shot kill (like more realistic games have) and instead damage is figured by 'rpg' elements not even the player's skill or tactics, and the game sounds empty in PvE mode due to lack of numerous, intelligent AI spread across the open-world map.

Sounds like they couldn't figure out how The Division should play (resulting in delay after delay) so they copied the Destiny model. The Destiny model works o.k. because Destiny is a sci-fi shooter with no attempt at realism. Using the Destiny gameplay model seems like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Game is going to be a pass from me (which is disappointing because the 2013 E3 trailer was incredible...but that apparently was a totally different game from what is actually being released).
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Yawn. All enemies look the same, no guilds, barely any contact with other players. Double yawn.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.