Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Conan Exiles: New Information Revealed - General News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2016 in News & Features Discussion

Conan Exiles: New Information Revealed - General News

Funcom's Joel Bylos sat down with IGN to discuss more about this week's reveal of Conan Exiles, a survival game based on the world of Hyboria. Among other things it was revealed that the game world will feature a 53 square kilometer map that is more than twice the size of Skyrim's main map. 

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883
    Not gonna get my hopes up until I see gameplay.
    Please come check out my stream. All the love is appreciated! 

TWITCH: @JakeSimTV
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    call me "silly" but this sounds to me like the mmo that a lot of people actually wanted. But it's in smaller co-op form.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    edited January 2016
    As long as the survival has some very challenging and dangerous pve wrapped around a pvp center then i'm game, if it's purely pvp I may dabble but doubt i'll stay.

I still play 7D2D and ARK cause they actually have obstacles "zombies, dinos" and challenging environments that make griefers think twice but don't play Rust or DayZ anymore cause all it has are bored players with nothing to do other than grief, don't even get me started on Landmark which has....neither, just a building sim.

This could turn out great if done right, considering the lore especially.
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Is this the redemption of Funcom or its demise ?

I think they have a golden chance here, this can be a success!
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

My thought is they realize mmo's are just too expensive for the investment. They are going back to smaller games. At least as far as "number of players". 

They released that game that was related to secret world that took place in an amusement park and now this.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DaakkonDaakkon Member UncommonPosts: 607
    As much as I want to like this I just can't get over the fact that they refuse to do AO2. :'(
  • Mouloxtos85Mouloxtos85 Member UncommonPosts: 66

Daakkon said:

As much as I want to like this I just can't get over the fact that they refuse to do AO2. :'(

what do you mean exactly? AOC2? that would be so nice !
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    I guess not a typo, ment AO 2. Well, AO got a graphic overhaul, so I think there won't be a sequel, they will just keep AO alive for the remaining playerbase and that's it.

As for this IGN interview, I'm puzzled. I was hyped at the initial announcement, and until there's the single option I'm fine, but according to the interview it started to sound disturbingly like a lame console action title... so, combat is not the AoC one. Lore is pretty much nowhere, just an empty land, which could be in any IP. Story also nowhere, "like dark souls" man how I loath dislike that game (sorry HL, I know it's your favourite :wink: ). God change overnight? Ok, it's not an rpg, but still... from Mitra to Set, like flicking a switch?
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Po_gg said:
    I guess not a typo, ment AO 2. Well, AO got a graphic overhaul, so I think there won't be a sequel, they will just keep AO alive for the remaining playerbase and that's it.

As for this IGN interview, I'm puzzled. I was hyped at the initial announcement, and until there's the single option I'm fine, but according to the interview it started to sound disturbingly like a lame console action title... so, combat is not the AoC one. Lore is pretty much nowhere, just an empty land, which could be in any IP. Story also nowhere, "like dark souls" man how I loath dislike that game (sorry HL, I know it's your favourite :wink: ). God change overnight? Ok, it's not an rpg, but still... from Mitra to Set, like flicking a switch?
    Dark Souls has a story, its just not set up the same linear way as most game.  Its more like how an archaeologist figures out the story of an ancient civilization through fragments as he discovers them in different places he travels to.
  • bamwallabamwalla Member UncommonPosts: 221
    Could be amazing. Or could be just like every other FPTP (first-person-tree-puncher)
  • brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975
    I like Funcom as developers, and they're always VERY creative. I'll definitely keep an eye on this one, and I'd support an early access program for sure.
  • PeskyPesky Member UncommonPosts: 157
    First person! Dammit!

My worst fears confirmed. I get motion sickness, there's no way I can play a first person game.

I was hoping we'd at least have the choice of playing either first or third person (like Skyrim or ESO).

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    edited January 2016

Pesky said:

First person! Dammit!

My worst fears confirmed. I get motion sickness, there's no way I can play a first person game.

I was hoping we'd at least have the choice of playing either first or third person (like Skyrim or ESO).

It says in the interview that you can:

"They tell me it's meant to be played in first person (although a third-person view exists)" So the choice will at least be there, whether or not it's completely viable is another story, though.
  • PeskyPesky Member UncommonPosts: 157
    edited January 2016

Ghavrigg said:

Pesky said:

First person! Dammit!

It says in the interview that you can:

"They tell me it's meant to be played in first person (although a third-person view exists)"

So the choice will at least be there, whether or not it's completely viable is another story, though.

Thanks for that info Ghavrigg (I completely missed that). That's great news! I won't write this game off just yet then *fingers crossed*. I hope they get their official forums up soon, I have lots of questions :)
  • AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

Sovrath said:

My thought is they realize mmo's are just too expensive for the investment. They are going back to smaller games. At least as far as "number of players". 

They released that game that was related to secret world that took place in an amusement park and now this.

More or less what the Funcom PR guys told the gaming community in 2015, and that they would be creating smaller games in the near future, "The Park" proved they had a market for such games.

As for the game itself, yes I'm excited and already told my old AoC friends to keep a watch on it's progress.
  • hasho83hasho83 Member UncommonPosts: 84

Very excited for this. I hope it turns out well. The Conan IP is ripe for all kinds of media

I agree with you :) ,but its the freaking Conan world ^^ ! Cant wait...
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Eh, I'd be excited but this is Funcom we are talking about. They always have great ideas but something about the implementation of those ideas always seems to be flawed. I never could get into TSW because of the combat.

Smile

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

hope there is some challenging pve. Don't mind the pvp if there is some good pve too. I don't need a ton of lore, just some challenging pve.

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Hot damn this has got me excited. I loved many aspects of AoC, mainly the dark gritty and actually "real" mature setting. I've tried to return to AoC several times, it's just been too empty for me too keep interest. I've been craving a good survival game for years now, let's hope this delivers.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    I liked ARK, but I disliked the way it handled the tamed dinos, making them all-powerful after training them for a few levels up. It took out all challenge in the game as you could just faceroll all wild dinos, including Alphas, with a trained Rex.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    This could do very well for FC.

A "survival" game set in the world of a well-known IP is a first I think. If it is well executed, it will be very well supported.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    AwDiddums said:

Sovrath said:

More or less what the Funcom PR guys told the gaming community in 2015, and that they would be creating smaller games in the near future, "The Park" proved they had a market for such games.

As for the game itself, yes I'm excited and already told my old AoC friends to keep a watch on it's progress.
    How I look at it is what drives games like ARK are the non traditional ideas at work for multi-player free-form play. with an actual creative as well as experienced group like funcom... not bogged down under offering a giant MMORPG experience I think they could offer something fairly unique as far as the survival genre goes. Indies can pull these games off on small amateur sized budgets after all.. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• BluddwolfBluddwolf Member UncommonPosts: 355
    I'm a sucker for Conan games, I'm in!!

Played: E&B, SWG, Eve, WoW, COH, WAR, POTBS, AOC, LOTRO, AUTO.A, AO, FE, TR, WWII, MWO, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, NWO, WoP, RUST, LIF, SOA, MORTAL, DFUW, AA, TF, PFO, ALBO, and many many others....

• ASpartanASpartan Member UncommonPosts: 44
    I hope it turns out to be what so many of us expected in the first game. The scale things sort of bothers me somewhat but it really depends on game play features...