Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free Fly Access Begins

ShelassaShelassa MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 616
edited January 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageFree Fly Access Begins

Fans who are interested in learning more about Star Citizen have been invited to try out the game for free this week. Potential players are required to create an account on Star Citizen site and will be able to check out Star Citizen 2.1.2, Arena Commander and the Social Module.

Read the full story here

Comments

• libraofdoomlibraofdoom Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Is this permanent? or will they shut off the free fly after a time duration?
  • TemperHSTemperHS Member UncommonPosts: 72
    If you read the article it quite clearly states "this week", indicating that the free time only lasts one week.
  • rapatpamprapatpamp Member UncommonPosts: 144
    It looks good but I just don't know.

It's "that" game right now.

Maybe I'll try it.
  • randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220
    Try it out.. When you make your account use a referral code from someone, that way when you decide it is the most awesome game ever and buy the basic ship package (or more) you'll get 5000 in game credits for free (and the referral person gets one step closer to getting a free gift)

My code is: STAR-JXHC-H4QQ (I love that code, ha qq)

Note that right now you get the mmo and the single player game, but on feb 15th they will no longer be together. Consider it a pre-order bonus to get both and have access to the alpha.
  • DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    Well I went through all the creating an account business & afterwards it immediately took me to a page where I could buy a $45 package so I'll hold-off & take another look & download later.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited January 2016
    @DijonCyanide ;

I think it needs to be said that you are required to have at least a basic pledge package (45 $) of Star Citizen.

This gives you a small starter ship: Aurora or a Mustang

Then - and only then - can you take advantage of the Free-Fly-week (CIG does them in regular intervalls) and try out the other currently available ships (including the bigger multiplayer ships like the Constellation and Freelancer).

This is NOT an "one-week-free-account" offer.

Have fun

PS:

I correct myself - three ships are available :
    "...Free Fly accounts will have access to the Hornet F7C military fighter, the Aurora LN starter and the Mustang Delta interceptor." Thank you @nightbird305 ;

Post edited by Erillion on
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611

Well I went through all the creating an account business & afterwards it immediately took me to a page where I could buy a $45 package so I'll hold-off & take another look & download later.

That was going to be a given with these guys. I clicked on this knowing that someone would say they tried to make you use a CC number too sign up or rerouted to a place where you could 'donate' money.

I wouldnt even make up a fake email to sign up. This is a thinly veiled way for them to boost 'citizen' numbers and claim all sorts of propaganda.
  • nightbird305nightbird305 Member UncommonPosts: 272
    edited January 2016
    Erillion said:
    @DijonCyanide ;

I think it needs to be said that you are required to have at least a basic pledge package (45 $) of Star Citizen.

This gives you a small starter ship: Aurora or a Mustang

Then - and only then - can you take advantage of the Free-Fly-week (CIG does them in regular intervalls) and try out the other currently available ships (including the bigger multiplayer ships like the Constellation and Freelancer).

This is NOT an "one-week-free-account" offer.

Have fun

I noticed that too, however you don't have to pay anything this week

After you've registered your account simply download the client https://robertsspaceindustries.com/download  and play the game!

You'll have access to the two starter ships (Aurora and Mustang), as well as one called Hornet (If I remember correctly).

I played it for a bit, but it's not really my cup of tea. The game feels very unfinished. 

EDIT:

From their website https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15178-Roundup-Free-Fly-212-Patch-And-Other-Updates

" You can register for an account here to get started. If you already have an account from a previous Free Fly, you’re all set! Just log in via the Star Citizen launcher. This is the first Free Fly that includes Crusader, so there’s more to explore than ever before. Free Fly accounts will have access to the Hornet F7C military fighter, the Aurora LN starter and the Mustang Delta interceptor."

Ah ... thank you. Then its different from previous Free-fly-events.

Have fun
  • DaderickDaderick Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Feel free to use my referral code for 5000 in game credits. It helps out you and me at the same time!

STAR-GZ32-N9F6

Visit us over at Star Citizen Privateer!

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Erillion said:

Ah ... thank you. Then its different from previous Free-fly-events.

Have fun

And it is only for the weekend. It ends monday. (1. Feb)

Downloaded it. Played a bit.

Calling it Alpha is not under selling it...
    hfztt said:

News was posted on the 29th. Text says " For the next week, we’re enable Free Fly access to all accounts.."

Have fun
  • DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    Good to know there is a method to bypass the pledging to access the free-to-fly week otherwise that would be very misleading indeed.
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    dont want to download the whole client for more "modules", is the persistent universe playable or is just more restrictive placeholder modules?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I lasted about 15 minutes and only that long because was so much lag i could barely move and that was just in the hangar.My ship in the Hangar seemed like it was vibrating shifting all over the place,some kind of weird bug.

Once i went out for a fly it was auto exit time,my ship came out spinning and rotating out of control again seemed like more lag.
    Probably the worst experience i have ever witnessed and it was only doing simple things.Even Smedley's H1Z1 a dev known for massive bugs and glitches only spent a few months and his product was workable/playable.

To kind of hint at the lazy effort ,in the hangar the lift is automatic,they were too lazy to even put in a switch/trigger  just an automated trigger of some kind.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TheAmazingDwarfTheAmazingDwarf Member UncommonPosts: 234
    If anyone wants to use my referral code:
    STAR-CCRT-VGDN

My FFXIV ARR referral code for new EU accounts: 5JPF7ZQ3
    Step into the amazing world of Eorzea! Use this reference code on a new account and we'll both get goodies for it!

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Erillion said:

hfztt said:

News was posted on the 29th. Text says " For the next week, we’re enable Free Fly access to all accounts.."

Have fun

If you follow the link to RSI in the article you will notice a small green bar in the top of the window saying: "Newcomers, create your account and fly free until feburary 1st!"

I am pretty sure I am right this time...
    hfztt said:
    If you follow the link to RSI in the article you will notice a small green bar in the top of the window saying: "Newcomers, create your account and fly free until feburary 1st!"

Confirmed. You were correct.

Have fun
  • TorgamaticTorgamatic Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Are they nuts, Game is PRE-PRE- ALPHA. Needs to be majorly fleshed out a bit more before exposing people to there first impressions. They really should have waited till official beta was started . Most likely ATLEAST a year away.
  • brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975
    This is just another attempt to rope in people who haven't already thrown money at this NON-GAME. Yeah, come "play for free" in our tech demo. Then you can give us $50 for nothing in order for us to keep making this game that we've been making for years that still isn't playable or even CLOSE to being in even a beta phase. I know all the buzz from previous allegations has died down, but there is still no way in hell I would trust this company. I wouldn't give them a penny.
  • raazmanraazman Member UncommonPosts: 35

brihtwulf said:

This is just another attempt to rope in people who haven't already thrown money at this NON-GAME. Yeah, come "play for free" in our tech demo. Then you can give us $50 for nothing in order for us to keep making this game that we've been making for years that still isn't playable or even CLOSE to being in even a beta phase. I know all the buzz from previous allegations has died down, but there is still no way in hell I would trust this company. I wouldn't give them a penny.

Who's forcing you to buy it if you try it for free? Is someone forcefully trying to make you buy it? Or are you scared that you'll succumb to buying it because you can't control yourself? Some people these days...smh. And the same old "making for years" argument is old. Learn how software development on that scale works and you'll blow your own mind.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited January 2016
    Are they nuts, Game is PRE-PRE- ALPHA. Needs to be majorly fleshed out a bit more before exposing people to there first impressions. They really should have waited till official beta was started . Most likely ATLEAST a year away.
    THE GAME might be pre alpha but he was pan handling this already 3 years ago,a SIMPLE fly around should have been long past any alpha stage and SHOULD be quite finished by now.
    Seriously now how far behind is he if he can't even get the most simple concepts right yet?

I had to logout it was so bad,the lag was unreal ,anything that could be bugged felt bugged.Example why on earth was my ship vibrating around in the Hangar,what kind of code could even allow that to happen?
    Why was my ship constantly spinning out of control in a 360 degree fashion,like this is the VERY basic of operations in the game,we are not talking about dogfights or landing on a planet or docking another ship, i am talking about just trying to fly the thing.

Even the hangar lag,there is like nothing in the hangar to tweak,only the flashing lights which is likely causing most of it.Point being how much effort would it take r could even be done to tweak the hangar lag?I mean the ONLY thing in there is my character and my ship and the ship was bugged.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    There are $.99 ported mobile games on Steam with more content than their little tech demo. Hell, you can buy EVE Online lite (Nebula Online) for that much. 

It's been how many years, and this is what they've got to show for it? If I'd bought into this game I'd be absolutely livid at this point. This idiot is going to absolutely destroy public confidence in Kickstarter and crowd funding when his 'game' launches with 18 billion ships (half of which will still be 'concepts') and three planets. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

Erillion said:
    hfztt said:

Confirmed. You were correct.

Looks like it was just a typo.

They corrected it today to February 8th.  So yes, it was supposed to be a full week (actually a bit more).

Have fun
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    This is just sad, they are making a mockery of the funding of games.  I thought it was funny at first, all these fools throwing money at a project whose design points kept growing by leaps and bounds.  If that was not a huge red flag for everyone, you are just naïve.  Not funny any more though, it is just a huge scam now.