Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Future of The Repopulation

Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
I know this probably does a lot of heart break and a new wave of anti-kickstarterism! XD
But I personally am very happy about game being ported to UnrealEngine, of course if they don't run out of money and can actually deliver one day. 

https://www.therepopulation.com/index.php/news/275-the-future-of-the-repopulation

TL-DR

- Is not cancelled. 
- HeroEngine bye bye. 
- The Repopulation is being ported to Unreal Engine. While many of its assets will convert over easily to Unreal Engine, the game's code will need to be rewritten from scratch. 
- The development will set back by a significant period of time, no estimates announced. 
- The game will be released in modules. 
- First module "Fragmented" will be released on February which is a sci-fi survival game set in TR world. 
- Beyond graphics improvements there will be major performance improvements, DX12 support, server management (official and 3rd party with high level of customization and modding and rules)
- VR support is planned but not confirmed. 
- This hasn't change the whole game plan at all, Fragmented is basically getting released to give backers something to do whilst the port is getting done. 

Goodluck. 
Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Good luck is right.  They will need it.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    "What Does This Mean For The Repopulation? Is It Cancelled?

No, it is not cancelled. Fragmented is a slimmed down version of the same code which will be reused to create an Unreal Engine based version of The Repopulation. We will be splitting it into two code bases, the survival game (Fragmented) and the MMO (The Repopulation). Much of the code and assets will be shared between the two products."

Interesting.  So basically a multiplayer version of the MMO.  I just worry this will delay the MMO version even more, unless they have two separate teams.

It's a shame they had to learn the hard way with Hero Engine.  Can't say they weren't warned though.
  • Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    observer said:
    "What Does This Mean For The Repopulation? Is It Cancelled?

No, it is not cancelled. Fragmented is a slimmed down version of the same code which will be reused to create an Unreal Engine based version of The Repopulation. We will be splitting it into two code bases, the survival game (Fragmented) and the MMO (The Repopulation). Much of the code and assets will be shared between the two products."

Interesting.  So basically a multiplayer version of the MMO.  I just worry this will delay the MMO version even more, unless they have two separate teams.

It's a shame they had to learn the hard way with Hero Engine.  Can't say they weren't warned though.
    I doubt if they have multiple teams working on multiple products. But the release of this product kind of equals their life support. To calm the backers a tad and survival games are a good selling trend, this can actually bring them more monies to keep going. I just hope the bitter reality wouldn't deviate them from their original vision completely. 
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • HolyAvengerOneHolyAvengerOne Member UncommonPosts: 708
    All in all, given the situation, I think this is the best piece of news fans of the game could have hoped for. Good job A&BT!!
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited January 2016

How can they say it's not canceled? They aren't making The Repopulation.  They even admit the final product most likely won't be TR. They are re purposing the assets to make an entirely different game. Sounds canceled to me

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    So, 3+ years delay ... ok

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Where have I heard a story like this before?

Oh yeah, over at SOE.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Kyleran said:
    Where have I heard a story like this before?

Oh yeah, over at SOE.
    We built the game on a garbage engine and have to start over sounds a lot like FFXIV to me.

Only without the piles of cash and name recognition. 
  • SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    I know this probably does a lot of heart break and a new wave of anti-kickstarterism! XD
    But I personally am very happy about game being ported to UnrealEngine, of course if they don't run out of money and can actually deliver one day. 

https://www.therepopulation.com/index.php/news/275-the-future-of-the-repopulation

TL-DR

- Is not cancelled. 
    - HeroEngine bye bye. 
    - The Repopulation is being ported to Unreal Engine. While many of its assets will convert over easily to Unreal Engine, the game's code will need to be rewritten from scratch. 
    - The development will set back by a significant period of time, no estimates announced. 
    - The game will be released in modules. 
    - First module "Fragmented" will be released on February which is a sci-fi survival game set in TR world. 
    - Beyond graphics improvements there will be major performance improvements, DX12 support, server management (official and 3rd party with high level of customization and modding and rules)
    - VR support is planned but not confirmed. 
    - This hasn't change the whole game plan at all, Fragmented is basically getting released to give backers something to do whilst the port is getting done. 

Goodluck. 
    It's just another kickstarter with a GREAT vision, but in the end...kickstarters all think making games will be so easy till they try.  I really think of all the games that are in the kickstarter world, the ones that are most likely to ever make it to launch are:

1.  Crowfall (just because of their updates and communication, marketing wise they are as good as any AAA developer, also they are taking chances and not following every other mmo)

2.  Star Citizen (I don't think it'll ever be what they say it will be, but I think they have taken to much money to not launch anything.  I imagine they making it to launch with a game that is more like death matches, instances and some pve)

3.  Gloria Victus (This probably has the least chance of the three of actually making it to launch, but there's a chance and it seems to keep getting better and they are always advancing)

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    That's good and bad I guess.  Bad that it will mean at least another year of delay but good that they are still moving forward.  Sucks that Hero took a giant corporate dump.
    Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    Limitations of a game engine is something you access before you license it to make your game. The Hero Engines reputation was no secret it would present issues use it for making an open world sandbox in the spirit of SWG. These guys have seen Ark, they know RP would struggle and have changed plan, that's the feeling I've got.
    edited January 2016

How can they say it's not canceled? They aren't making The Repopulation.  They even admit the final product most likely won't be TR. They are re purposing the assets to make an entirely different game. Sounds canceled to me

Was that trolling? Yes, they are making The Repopulation, but in another engine. Additionally, they are ALSO making an action-based game named "Fragmented". Both will be developed side by side.

From their announcement :
    What Happens to Fragmented When The Repopulation Becomes Available?

We would develop the two games simultaneously with one another. Most of the gameplay from Fragmented would be directly reused in The Repopulation. The Repopulation would have more complex systems and be more of a traditional RPG, driven by missions and engagements. The added complexity would make it focus on a different audience, though we would share resources between the two wherever possible.

So yeah, it's a pretty dramatic change -- pretty much as dramatic as they can be in game development -- but that's still the same core game being done.

edited January 2016

Was that trolling? Yes, they are making The Repopulation, but in another engine. Additionally, they are ALSO making an action-based game named "Fragmented". Both will be developed side by side.

We would develop the two games simultaneously with one another. Most of the gameplay from Fragmented would be directly reused in The Repopulation. The Repopulation would have more complex systems and be more of a traditional RPG, driven by missions and engagements. The added complexity would make it focus on a different audience, though we would share resources between the two wherever possible.

So yeah, it's a pretty dramatic change -- pretty much as dramatic as they can be in game development -- but that's still the same core game being done.

This is a ground up build. Not a port. It's not going to be the same game. They are developing a brand new, different game called "The Repopulation"  But it's not the same game.

Is it Possible that the Original Version of The Repopulation Gets Released?

We want to keep our options open there, and have been hopeful that something would fall into place to get the game to market. But we’ve yet to find an acceptable solution to do that to date. As of now we are moving forward with the assumption that this is not going to happen, but are happy to discuss options with any third parties who may want to bring the game to market.

This is a ground up build. Not a port. It's not going to be the same game. They are developing a brand new, different game called "The Repopulation"  But it's not the same game.

Is it Possible that the Original Version of The Repopulation Gets Released?

We want to keep our options open there, and have been hopeful that something would fall into place to get the game to market. But we’ve yet to find an acceptable solution to do that to date. As of now we are moving forward with the assumption that this is not going to happen, but are happy to discuss options with any third parties who may want to bring the game to market.

Yes, I've read that part of the announcement too :) I guess it boils down to what makes any specific game that "game" for you. If it's merely a collection of lines of code, then yeah, you could say the original game (i.e. codebase) is cancelled.

I think a broader definition of a "game", one which I think a lot of players will agree on, revolves more around the core concepts, designs, game systems, visual style, narrative and storyline of a game. In the context of that definition, The Repopulation is not cancelled but merely undergoes a (pretty dramatic) technical change.
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    I think this much more about game redesign than engine limitations.   I think they realized that their end product as it stood, was probably going to be a little more "niche" than they initially realized.  Designing a game around an extremely time intensive and convoluted crafting system, simply smacked of another release like Wildstar.  Great for the first 50 hours, and then it becomes a job.

My guess is things will be a little less hardcore, this time around.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• NordicApacheNordicApache Member UncommonPosts: 134

They couldn't develop the first game at a reasonable pace. What makes you think they will pull a hat trick and do 2? 

I have been a backer since the earliest stage and I gave up hope long ago. They are now added to the pile or early access/ Crapstarter titles that I and many others have thrown money away on. 
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Them focusing on making combat fun first, now with great help from Unreal 4, sounds like a plan.

I was one of the original 700'ish Kickstarter backers, and the HeroEngine just killed the game for me. Movement, combat and basicly anything UI related just felt wrong and clunky.

If they can get combat fun, hell, they might actually sell enough copies up front to actually finish the game...
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Another undercooked log on the bonfire of failed or "might as well have failed" MMOs.

Which is why it is utter folly to buy into KS or crowdfunding an MMO. (Even buying into the "early access" deal is more or less a bad idea at this point for MMOs).

So, too bad, so sad, maybe something will show up in the future, but since it will be years anyway, no reason to care about this title any longer....

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    That is amazing news !

I still see the picture that the game concept painted in my mind, but with Hero engine it was impossible to get there.

Thumbs up for a strong decision !!!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited January 2016
    How many people working on this,should be but 6 months turnover unless there are like 2 people?
    How do they fund this in the meantime?
    Are employees working for free on promises or like i said only 2 people or something?
    I am not hating on the game at all but to be honest and if they are listening,they NEED to change the whole idea ,make up and vision of the game,it is at least imo not a good enough game idea.

Perhaps that is what is really happening,they feel change is needed as well so basically starting from scratch again.IMO it would be a smart move one that even if i was a backer i would agree to and have no problem waiting another 3 years.

The Unreal engine is solid not sure on the tools they get to use based on the package they bought into but i used it for years and is rather easy to use and allows at least the ability to make a really nice game,even if using Ue1 or UE2,just takes more work with the older engines.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    IAmMMO said:
    Limitations of a game engine is something you access before you license it to make your game. The Hero Engines reputation was no secret it would present issues use it for making an open world sandbox in the spirit of SWG. These guys have seen Ark, they know RP would struggle and have changed plan, that's the feeling I've got.
    You get complaints about limitations and cocdebase issues for any engine picked.  Hero, for the reasons the developer stated were apparently compelling enough to use vs other engines.

In the end, this type of argument is nothing more than a distraction unless you are actually deeply involved in not only large scale game development or the game itself, neither of which I would ever believe you were.
    Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    That is sad news.  Starting from scratch with your code is never a fun thing.  I can not believe they have enough money to hold out while they completely rewrite the code for everything. 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757
    Though an unfortunate setback I really think breaking from the Hero Engine was the smartest thing they could do at this point.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    meh, it's a game i'm looking forward to, but I've learned to be patient.  I supported, and it's forgotten.  Will and can wait.

I self identify as a monkey.

I think this much more about game redesign than engine limitations.   I think they realized that their end product as it stood, was probably going to be a little more "niche" than they initially realized.  Designing a game around an extremely time intensive and convoluted crafting system, simply smacked of another release like Wildstar.  Great for the first 50 hours, and then it becomes a job.

My guess is things will be a little less hardcore, this time around.
    I think this is a major part of their decision to redesign. Even without the Hero Engine failure, It didn't look like this game was going to amount to the game they intended it to be. This gives them exactly what they needed. A blessing in disguise.