Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Port To Unreal Engine, New Survival Title Announced

ShelassaShelassa MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 616
edited January 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imagePort To Unreal Engine, New Survival Title Announced

After earlier issues with the alpha servers in December 2015, The Repopulation has been offline since. A new post has been written on the official site with some very good news for players and fans of the game. The Repopulation is moving to the Unreal engine which will require rewriting the base code from scratch hence a significant delay in the release of the game. However, backers and players will gain access to Fragmented, a survival title based in the same game universe as The Repopulation.

Read the full story here

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    Smart, because survival games are future of MMO.
    However bad news for Repopulation. Porting it to new engine is at least additional 2 years, if not more. And that on top the fact that game needed at least year more development.

In 3 years, who will still care for this title ?

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Me. I think your time line is quite a bit long. I doubt it would take that long to re-write. The Repopulation was looking at a 2016 launch, so it didn't need another year of development, it does need some work but it was (is) easily playable.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• tenfootgoatman123tenfootgoatman123 Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Fair enough . Look forward to trying it when completed
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    good choice

looking forward to test again..
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    Hatefull said:
    Me. I think your time line is quite a bit long. I doubt it would take that long to re-write. The Repopulation was looking at a 2016 launch, so it didn't need another year of development, it does need some work but it was (is) easily playable.

You know they were using Hero Engine because its "Ready MMO" engine with all backed already written in.
    Unreal engine is just blank slate. Think of it only as "visuals ready" engine

They were using Hero Engine because they didnt want to write backend.
    So now they will not only have to RECODE all the game completely - that will take them exactly the same time as first time, because its completely new language.
    But they will also need to CODE all the things they wanted to avoid coding by using hero engine.

So in the end only logical estimate is : the time they needed for coding current version + time needed to code whole MMO backend = Development time needed for Unreal version

I think 2 years is actually quite generous estimate.

• FauzrukFauzruk Member UncommonPosts: 8

Hatefull said:

You know they were using Hero Engine because its "Ready MMO" engine with all backed already written in.
    Unreal engine is just blank slate. Think of it only as "visuals ready" engine

They were using Hero Engine because they didnt want to write backend.
    So now they will not only have to RECODE all the game completely - that will take them exactly the same time as first time, because its completely new language.
    But they will also need to CODE all the things they wanted to avoid coding by using hero engine.

So in the end only logical estimate is : the time they needed for coding current version + time needed to code whole MMO backend = Development time needed for Unreal version

I think 2 years is actually quite generous estimate.

Unreal Engine 4 is not just a "Visual Ready" Engine. It's a complete game engine, It comes with lots of tools integrated outside of the rendering pipeline.

A game engine is supposed to accelerate the development process. If they take two years for that they are probably not doing it correctly.
  • khalinmchroikhalinmchroi Member UncommonPosts: 5
    i think 2 years is a pretty reasonable estimate, although they'll open it up to early access sooner than that most likely.
    it's good they did this change now if they were going to do it. frankly it can only be a smart change because no one was going to like this game in the hero engine. no one
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited January 2016
    The use of the word "port" here is a little misleading. TR as a game is not being ported. Assets of the game are to be ported. The game itself is gone. The new game will need to be coded from scratch. Based on their website, they are creating a 2 module game. One will be a gutted version of the MMO as a co-op shooter. Then, when "The Repopulation" is finished, they will move that to an MMO version.

"Where The Repopulation was RPG first, with simulated shooter in Action Mode, Fragmented is a First/Third Person Survival Shooter with RPG elements."

TLDR; The Repopulation is now going to be an MMOFPS / MMO3PS
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Get two games for the price of one:) I hope at least one will be good.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    I hope they include the option to buy HD quality in the cash shop.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    However bad news for Repopulation. Porting it to new engine is at least additional 2 years, if not more. And that on top the fact that game needed at least year more development.

It wont take two years to re-write the base code.  I think a 10 to 12 month delay tops.  Its fantastic news for this game.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Survival games are just a current fad, they are certainly NOT the future of MMO's.  As to the rewrite, I have to agree, it will take a LONG time, especially since they have a small staff supporting the game.

Hard to say if this game will be viable when it finally is at least playable again.
  • XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516
    It will not take a long time. UE4 is great for productivity and they already said in the announcement that most of the assets will be easily converted. They need to code the game, sure, but I think the MMO version can easily launch on Steam Early Access in Q1/Q2 2017, with more features being slowly added for an estimated full launch on Holiday 2017.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Unreal supports C++/Java as well as many of the same third party software that Hero engine was using.Also unreal scripting is suppose to be easier than in other game engines so i don't see this taking all that long other than perhaps only a couple people working on the game.
    Unreal engine is good for importing assets form other software,only problem i remember was UE1 was using an odd sound/music file .ogg or something.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    edited January 2016
    I'd rather have them focus all their attention on the main game.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    so let me understand this.

they broke repopulation to the point that nobody could even play and instead of getting it back up to playable status while then working on branched code for the graphics update they instead during downtime made another prealpha?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757
    Glad to hear this. 
    The whole debacle with the hero engine just makes me to nervous for any chance of success without a move of this type.

• RetiredRetired Member UncommonPosts: 744
    edited January 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

they broke repopulation to the point that nobody could even play and instead of getting it back up to playable status while then working on branched code for the graphics update they instead during downtime made another prealpha?
    No, they never had source code. It was the Heroengine developers that broke it til it was unplayable. Then Heroengine ran out of money and let go of their staff, thus,  The Repopulation devs could not get updates or sell the game anymore due to Heroengine technical issue and lack of engineers to fix. This is all on Heroengine.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Retired said:
    SEANMCAD said:

No, they never had source code. It was the Heroengine developers that broke it til it was unplayable. Then Heroengine ran out of money and let go of their staff, thus,  The Repopulation devs could not get updates or sell the game anymore due to Heroengine technical issue and lack of engineers to fix. This is all on Heroengine.
    very ouch

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    It's a good move. Hero Engine is going to die anyway.

My biggest concern though is how much they are relying on funding the next Repopulation on this other game. If they don't pool everything they have and make it the best game ever, how can it cover the cost of making a whole new MMO minus some assets? As a backer, I'd like to see Repop work out even if the survival game doesn't.
  • QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

It's a niche game so I would assume those who have backed it for years will still await for it's release.

Source: I'm one of them.  =)
    Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Retired said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Sort of correct but the problem with the connection was the provider and the contract to the cloud not the engine developer. People still using it but it will die sooner than later anyway due to lack of income. UE may suffer less because there are more games being made that are not MMORPGs.

Anyway, I wish them well on this engine.
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    things must have been pretty bad to scrap all the code written in HeroScript and then start over in C++.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited January 2016
    If porting to new engine (i hope its UE4, 3 is unsupported already) means taking the time to improve graphics, gameplay, animations, and overall quality, then take all the time you need. This game has been taking a lot of time, but it could be for the best if they do it right.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Why did they even pick Hero Engine in the first place?! After SWTOR I would have thought it was public knowledge that that engine is absolutely awful for use in MMORPGs! Horrible, horrible choice right out the gate!

Smile