Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A history of Star Marine - The FPS shooter component of Star Citizens.

13»

Comments

• Vada_GVada_G Member UncommonPosts: 85
    weslubow said:
    The module will happen, under whatever name, later. From what the developer presentations have explained it sounds amazing. The latest developer talk I saw gave plenty of details about first person view and juke movements. They also made a few comments on third person view from the earlier presentation. It seems all of it needed to be cleaned up and polished. (clunky animations and other things)
    Take a deep breath. It is coming. With neat weapons and fun features. I haven't played this kind of pvp for a long time, but this has my attention. I will wait and see what happens
    Unfortunately the version you saw (I don't remember the date of the video, but know roughly the two or three from the sequence) is the one of the last updates that was sent over by the Illfonic studio. That work has been scrapped and they are going through and salvaging assets of that work to rebuild the fps side of things.

The core product (PU) and development of the FPS module at Illfonic ended up diverging somewhere (most likely when they were fixing their 2.0 netcoding). They were now incompatible and the Illfonic project, which was stated to be at the stage of only needing cleaning up and polishing, was discontinued. This is a major issue of having things done in different studios. The left hand not working in tandem with the right.

Do not expect an FPS Module or Game Mode any time soon (<3 years) as they are building things in order to push out their next PU stage and it has been put on the back burner. They are pulling in assets in order to facilitate the PU. This is supposed to have PVP in it, so it'll be like the current station I guess? 

What remains to be seen.. Did they learn from this clusterf$#? 

Now, I'm off to receive PAX updates on other games I actually still have interest in and there are some kittens around here for me to punch. <This last statement was in jest, kittens are tasty cute>
  • ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757
    edited January 2016
    Vada_G said:
    weslubow said:
    The module will happen, under whatever name, later. From what the developer presentations have explained it sounds amazing. The latest developer talk I saw gave plenty of details about first person view and juke movements. They also made a few comments on third person view from the earlier presentation. It seems all of it needed to be cleaned up and polished. (clunky animations and other things)
    Take a deep breath. It is coming. With neat weapons and fun features. I haven't played this kind of pvp for a long time, but this has my attention. I will wait and see what happens
    Unfortunately the version you saw (I don't remember the date of the video, but know roughly the two or three from the sequence) is the one of the last updates that was sent over by the Illfonic studio. That work has been scrapped and they are going through and salvaging assets of that work to rebuild the fps side of things.

The core product (PU) and development of the FPS module at Illfonic ended up diverging somewhere (most likely when they were fixing their 2.0 netcoding). They were now incompatible and the Illfonic project, which was stated to be at the stage of only needing cleaning up and polishing, was discontinued. This is a major issue of having things done in different studios. The left hand not working in tandem with the right.

Do not expect an FPS Module or Game Mode any time soon (<3 years) as they are building things in order to push out their next PU stage and it has been put on the back burner. They are pulling in assets in order to facilitate the PU. This is supposed to have PVP in it, so it'll be like the current station I guess? 

What remains to be seen.. Did they learn from this clusterf$#? 

Now, I'm off to receive PAX updates on other games I actually still have interest in and there are some kittens around here for me to punch. <This last statement was in jest, kittens are tasty cute>
    @Vada_G ;
     Sorry you missed the show due to illness of the young one.
    Hope they are feeling better mate.
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Let's not make it sound like this was Illfonic studio's fault! They did what they were instructed to do by the great CR. Like he always done from the days of Origin was change things at the drop of a hat. 

Plus let us not forget just on the name side of it, that the lawyer never checked if there was a copyright with the name SM. 

This whole thing has been nothing but a shambles from the start. Which all goes back to what people have said about CR that have worked with him thru the years. 
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    edited January 2016
    Brenics said:
    Let's not make it sound like this was Illfonic studio's fault! They did what they were instructed to do by the great CR. Like he always done from the days of Origin was change things at the drop of a hat. 

Plus let us not forget just on the name side of it, that the lawyer never checked if there was a copyright with the name SM. 

This whole thing has been nothing but a shambles from the start. Which all goes back to what people have said about CR that have worked with him thru the years. 
    You mean lets assume Illfonics its completely faultless, even though they were the ones working on this, and lets assume its all CR fault.

I will agree though that not checking to see if the name "Star Marine" was taken/copyrighted etc is kind of laughable and shows incompetence on the part of w/e job that was to verify.
    Post edited by Asm0deus on

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Where is Erillion when you need him?   B)

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
    Asm0deus said:
    Brenics said:

You mean lets assume Illfonics its completely faultless, even they were the ones working on this, and lets assume its all CR fault.

I will agree though that not checking to see if the name "Star Marine" was taken/copyrighted etc is kind of laughable and shows incompetence on the part of w/e job that was to verify.
    You should know if you have followed CR's career then you really do not need to assume who's fault it is.

At least we agree on one thing. Maybe there is hope.  =)

Brenics said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Brenics said:

You mean lets assume Illfonics its completely faultless, even they were the ones working on this, and lets assume its all CR fault.

You should know if you have followed CR's career then you really do not need to assume who's fault it is.

So all you are offering is a base assumption that we are supposed to take as fact...

Brenics said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Brenics said:

This is why assumptions are poor replacements for facts.

Since I've followed Roberts career and enjoyed every game released that he was involved with I really don't need to assume I won't enjoy this one. <-- That is not a fact it is an assumption and full of many holes.
    Just an example of doing it from the other side.
  • Psychos1sPsychos1s Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Thourne said:
    Brenics said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Brenics said:

Since I've followed Roberts career and enjoyed every game released that he was involved with I really don't need to assume I won't enjoy this one. <-- That is not a fact it is an assumption and full of many holes.
    Thing is SC is shaping up to be the next Freelancer, you know the last game he sort of developed.
    So much was promised with that game and pretty much all of it ended up getting the chop due to the game going way over budget and deadline.

I think the way this game has been marketed and hyped, not only by media but by CIG themselves, that even if it does manage to release it will never ever live up to the expectations the fans have for it.
    Brenics said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Brenics said:

Unless your actually there and can see what happened then your assuming. 

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Psychos1s said:
    Thourne said:
    Brenics said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Brenics said:

Thing is SC is shaping up to be the next Freelancer, you know the last game he sort of developed.
    So much was promised with that game and pretty much all of it ended up getting the chop due to the game going way over budget and deadline.

I think the way this game has been marketed and hyped, not only by media but by CIG themselves, that even if it does manage to release it will never ever live up to the expectations the fans have for it.
    Oh I am familiar with Freelancer and what happened with it.
    That said I still enjoyed the game that eventually was released.
    However, the behind the scenes of that game is exactly why Roberts doesn't get a free pass from me.

but

(Edited a correction to your quote bellow that would allow me to agree with you.)
     "In my opinion" SC is shaping up to be the next Freelancer, you know the last game he sort of developed.

**This is the point I am trying to make, we are largely speculating and speaking in opinion but some people seem to think their opinions are facts. They aren't.

(I'm not singling you out Psychos1s simply using your post as an example. No offense intended and I don't think you are personally guilty of that act.)

• MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Horusra said:
    Any time I feel bad I read the stuff by people attacking or supporting this game and I feel better cause I know I am better than some people in the world.  I do not have time to waste putting together crap like this so I can feel special.
    It's quite funny how you say you don't have time to put crap like this together so you can feel special but in the same paragraph you say you come to these threads and post these anti-social comments to make you feel better and feel like you are better than them.

Reflect on that.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Herase said:
    Pretty much simple as that, not sure why people are losing their mind over it.

Priorities have changed and that's all that happened, but for some there has to be a conspiracy behind it.
    Do priorities change in business, absolutely.  Is it normal for a company to show video footage and promise something extensively in every PR event possible while promising it "soon" or "in a few weeks" in an effort to earn more money from players who want a great FPS and then 8 to 10 months later change direction and indefinitely postpone that project?

At the very least they should offer refunds to anyone who donated in the last 12 months who donated due to the marketing for Star Marine.  Not a conspiracy (and you people try and muddy the waters by making it seem the other side is wearing tinfoil hats) but ethical business practices.  If you advertise the crap out of something to get peoples money and then change your mind about releasing it, allow the people who donated to change their minds as well.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

LOL starting to think of the Godfather movies and how many of us would be sleeping with the fishes.  >:)

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Reopened this after removing some personal attacks and related. Keep things on the actual topic and not one another and it will remain open.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

edited January 2016
    Amana said:
    Reopened this after removing some personal attacks and related. Keep things on the actual topic and not one another and it will remain open.
    Just remove all comments and make it a sticky. It's information that needs to be preserved.

There is nothing to discuss here as these are simple facts from the games website.

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381

Would have been a much wiser move to release some sort of 'Star Mariner' module.  The fact that they've backburnered it for years pretty much tells me they can't reliably do it yet.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Would have been a much wiser move to release some sort of 'Star Mariner' module.  The fact that they've backburnered it for years pretty much tells me they can't reliably do it yet.

The features they are trying to implement are well known in the industry as pretty much impossible to do. That was the first sign that this Project is going to run into some trouble.

Local physics grids are notoriously hard to implement plus they bring a huge amount of problems with them that so far no one has solved. The rag-doll physics, world physics, local grid physics, bullet and rocket physics combined with an online game is just asking for trouble.

If the synchronization is just slightly off the players fall through the ground, the rag-doll gets completely twisted, bullets never hit players, rockets fly around in circles or complete IK systems stop working.

Anyone here remember the Skyrim Troll physics bug that made you take off like a rocket? Think that but on a scale about 100 times more complex.

I am not saying it is impossible, but i am a C/C++ Programmer for 20+ years and i would not want to be the one that has to make this all work together. As much as i admire CR for the balls he has to actually try to make this work, i think he is in over his head.

- Michael Bitton

- SEANMCAD

Well apparently they are working on fps and will add new mechanics for it one at a time, I think adding in everything all at once was asking for trouble coding wise so they are doing it one thing at a time.

People have to stop taking CR words as gospel though when he says things like it will be better or deadlier than COD as clearly that's just exaggerations like most developers/companies make when they are promoting a new product.

edited January 2016
    Asm0deus said:
    People have to stop taking CR words as gospel though when he says things like it will be better or deadlier than COD as clearly that's just exaggerations like most developers/companies make when they are promoting a new product.
    If they announce something on PAX, E3 or any other trade show then it's official. There is no way to weasel out of this. He said publicly that the Star Marine part of the game will be ready last year. If you turn the hype train to 300% then you better deliver.

That is lying to the public. There is NO other way to spin this.

The product they showed on multiple occasions, documented in the OP of this thread is cancelled. That is a fact. It is gone forever.

Will the backers get something similar? Maybe, we don't know yet. Considering his track record so far i would not bet on it.
    Post edited by MrSnuffles on

- Michael Bitton

- SEANMCAD

Asm0deus said:

The problem i have with this is that they used the admittedly good looking Star Marine footage to get FPS fans to pledge money. Continually lying and announcing it as almost finished, right around the corner.

Did they know that they can not integrate whatever Ilfonic created? We will never know.

The point is that any good Producer is responsible to make sure these things work. If you have teams spread across the globe working on different things for your product you better know what you are doing and it is painfully clear that the captain of the Start Citizen Ship is completely incompetent to do this.

The amount of amateurish mistakes that have been made are frightening. Someone that has a bad track record of managing big projects has delusions of grandeur and creates a company with $20 million offices worldwide from crowdfunding money.

This behaviour has become systematic with CR and it is what will break his neck in the end.

- Michael Bitton

- SEANMCAD

Asm0deus said:

The problem i have with this is that they used the admittedly good looking Star Marine footage to get FPS fans to pledge money. Continually lying and announcing it as almost finished, right around the corner.

Did they know that they can not integrate whatever Ilfonic created? We will never know.

The point is that any good Producer is responsible to make sure these things work. If you have teams spread across the globe working on different things for your product you better know what you are doing and it is painfully clear that the captain of the Start Citizen Ship is completely incompetent to do this.

The amount of amateurish mistakes that have been made are frightening. Someone that has a bad track record of managing big projects has delusions of grandeur and creates a company with $20 million offices worldwide from crowdfunding money.

This behaviour has become systematic with CR and it is what will break his neck in the end.
    Exactly and it is mind boggling  a lot of these backers can't see this. But then again we do have the same people attacking and attempting to change what was said back in 2012, 2013, 2014, ect.. Also it is amazing how they link things from CR's website like it is written in gold.

They act like nothing on that web site can't be changed and edited to where the site says what they want it to say now. Unless someone has saved all these pages at the time they were written then you can't prove they really changed anything.

OH WAIT, Nevermind.

Then you have people saying it is normal for a TOS to be changed like CR has. Actually that is true if the GAME was already RELEASED! 

Nothing about this so called game is normal in a DEVELOPING game.

But at least there is one good thing about all this. CR and smed now have something in common. 

OH WAIT, smed actually released a game. Nevermind.