Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sometimes Great Potential Isn’t Enough - Bombshell Review

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageSometimes Great Potential Isn’t Enough - Bombshell Review

Bombshell is a newly arrived top-down action RPG from Interceptor Entertainment and publisher 3D Realms. The game centers on Shelly “Bombshell” Harrison, a female Duke Nukem style character. To say that Bombshell has traveled a rocky road to this day is something of an understatement. Which brings us to today and the question about whether or not that redevelopment time has made a difference.

Read the full story here

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I should start and finish by stating that ARPG's are NEVER designed around good controls,they are designed around mindless forward moving SPAM.
    My point is to center this game out is worng,EVERY arpg including Diablo should be rated 3/10 at BEST.
    ARPG's =no AI...story yeah right,again making it sound like this is a first for arpg's says he doesn't game much.

He also made a point of the locked camera...NO kidding Sherlock lmao,,ARPG's anyone?
    IDK maybe he watchedAngry Joe's review and came up with the same answers,to me All THE arpg'S are shallow piles of junk but i bet Blizzard was happy to see millions given to them for the crap that is Diablo.

ARPG's+Moba's =rubbish

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Potential is a great word for a game in development.  Not so great afterwards.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Wizardry said:
    I should start and finish by stating that ARPG's are NEVER designed around good controls,they are designed around mindless forward moving SPAM.
    My point is to center this game out is worng,EVERY arpg including Diablo should be rated 3/10 at BEST.
    ARPG's =no AI...story yeah right,again making it sound like this is a first for arpg's says he doesn't game much.

He also made a point of the locked camera...NO kidding Sherlock lmao,,ARPG's anyone?
    IDK maybe he watchedAngry Joe's review and came up with the same answers,to me All THE arpg'S are shallow piles of junk but i bet Blizzard was happy to see millions given to them for the crap that is Diablo.

ARPG's+Moba's =rubbish
    Grim Dawn has a fully rotatable camera. As for the rest... dude, you're like the MMORPG.COM equivalent of Sarah Palin or Nancy Pelosi. Just when you think they can't possibly say something more stupid than the last time they spoke... WHAM!

Some advice: It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• gearchin13gearchin13 Member UncommonPosts: 44

Wizardry said:

ARPG's+Moba's =rubbish

i would disagree to you saying those two genres are rubbish, arpgs are mindless fun. and mobas you either hate them or not, people who play mobas actually have some sort of skill. if it was all mindless rubbish League of legends ,wouldn't be one of the highest grossing games every year the past few years, and it also wouldnt be one of the highest rated and watched esports game in the world.
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    edited January 2016
    Wizardry said:

ARPG's+Moba's =rubbish
    Honest question, Wizardry...
    Is there anything you *don't* hate?

That's a serious question. Is there?

In all the time I've seen your posts here, I don't think I've seen you ever say a positive word about anything.

Regarding the game...

I was pretty interested for this game. I'd been following it for a bit, and was really eager to jump into a good, mindless action game. It's been a while since I've played one, and one introducing a new IP seemed like a good way to go.

Sadly, the excitement didn't end. The concepts are cool. The game is gorgeous (Unreal Engine tech, I'd expect no less), I like the main character and I even appreciate the cheesy 90s dialog (e.g. "Die, alien scum!").

What ultimately killed it for me was the controls. It felt very "un-tuned" to me, whether I was playing with gamepad or mouse and keyboard. I found my self dying only because I was having a difficult time controlling the character and maintaining aim, etc. Now, I guess it's just me, because I've seen others playing it without issue.. But, for me, the controls were a deal breaker.

Also later came to learn that Bombshell was originally to be a new Duke Nukem game, but the developers had lost the rights to the IP, so they had to change it. They went with a side-character originally created for Duke Nukem Forever.

In the end, I got a refund through Steam. I'll probably try it again in the future, when the price has come well down, or there's a good sale on it.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Wizardry said:

ARPG's+Moba's =rubbish

i would disagree to you saying those two genres are rubbish, arpgs are mindless fun. and mobas you either hate them or not, people who play mobas actually have some sort of skill. if it was all mindless rubbish League of legends ,wouldn't be one of the highest grossing games every year the past few years, and it also wouldnt be one of the highest rated and watched esports game in the world.
    I have played all the MOBA's and while I am not enthralled by any of them, I do play them occasionally just to have some quick fun.   What I don't find is that any of them require much skill to play them beyond knowing the character's abilities and when to use them.   Anyone who pays to watch someone else play this games has a definite screw loose especially when UTube and the like are free.   I also dispute that any of these games garners millions of viewers.