Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Marine news, and two devs leave.

Comments

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Hmmm, you could claim that while others will view it as clutching at straws.

I've got no desire to revisit the whole thing, it happend months and months ago, it's been beaten to death many times over. You clearly have your opinion and you're happy to ignore any and all facts to maintain that position, which is entirely up to you.
  • JohnP0100JohnP0100 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    The biggest cost of the Star Marine fiasco is that the backer's trust is now gone.
    People that were on the defending side are now double guessing everything anyone from CIG has said.
    Look at the CIG forums. Even those $1000+ backers are now questioning and calling them out.
    https://reddit.com/r/Starcitizen_trades are full of people wanting to cash-out. Soon the 'last one out is holding the bag' mentality kicks in and the entire thing collapses.
    Hence why the 'unmelt token' drama was so big in the first place. It stopped a lot of people from cashing out without putting even more money into CIG's hands.

I personally thought it'll be this interview as it is one of the most hilarious interview I've ever heard. http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/old-republic-radio/sunnys-diner/e/sunnys-diner-episode-3k13-sandi-gardiner-32990808

Then again, I never thought someone would ever say 'I'm annoyed at our customers who keeps on asking why we aren't delivering what we promised.'

It shows what PvP games are really all about, and no, it's not about more realism and immersion. It's about cowards hiding behind a screen to they can bully other defenseless players without any risk of direct retaliation like there would be if they acted like asshats in "real life". -Jean-Luc_Picard

Life itself is a game. So why shouldn't your game be ruined? - justmemyselfandi

• LoveRemovalMachineLoveRemovalMachine Member UncommonPosts: 213
    edited January 2016
    JohnP0100 said:
    https://reddit.com/r/Starcitizen_trades are full of people wanting to cash-out. Soon the 'last one out is holding the bag' mentality kicks in and the entire thing collapses.
    I just checked your link and did a search (CTRL-F) on WTS and WTB:

WTS: 11
    WTB: 1

(First page only!)

EDIT: Grey market isn't doing well or people are jumping (sinking) ship. I dunno.
    Post edited by LoveRemovalMachine on
    We are always in a race what our intelligence can do for us and what our intelligence does to us.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Hey... hey guys.  Guys!

I figured out the ultimate proof that Star Citizen will never be playable, despite it being playable.

If you take a look at their website:   https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

...You will notice that the first three letters of the site are "R" "O" and "B".

Put those together and you get "rob".

Secret societies confirmed.

-- Most convincing argument to date.  You're welcome, people who say it won't be made (and this isn't in regards to those who simply say it won't be all that it was promised, as that's a given in most any game).
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited January 2016
    JohnP0100 said:

People that were on the defending side are now double guessing everything anyone from CIG has said.
    L
    Maybe because there really isn't a "defending side"? This is a tangible event, it happened, it will have an impact, they said they were giving something to players and they didn't, that will have a consequence because it's not a matter of "hey so and so said they did this, so and so reported this".... CR said he'd deliver, he didn't.... just something to consider before you go lumping people into "sides" over the next he said she said debate...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

-- Most convincing argument to date.  You're welcome, people who say it won't be made (and this isn't in regards to those who simply say it won't be all that it was promised, as that's a given in most any game).
    But especially in a Chris Roberts game....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    edited January 2016
    Erillion said:
    Brenics said:

The house CR bought and cars he bought with funded money is really an old story which we all know about.
    You mean that "totally credible" story based on anonymous sources claiming to be fired ex-employees ?

Have fun
    escape artist reported that they verified the identity of the ex employee by their pay stubs from the company. 
    So?

Verifying ones identity is one thing, easy to do.

Verifying ones claims is something else.

Did the "reporter" in question perform her due diligence in investigating her sources claims ?

When someone comes forth, anonymously, with accusations the reporter is obliged to take these with a grain of salt and investigate further in order to verify his / her reportage. Instead, this lady choose to just throw shit at the fan.
  • JohnP0100JohnP0100 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Not sure how this turned into the 'Escapist' article debate.
    But if you are on the fence, have a listen to this interview that Sandi did
    http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/old-republic-radio/sunnys-diner/e/sunnys-diner-episode-3k13-sandi-gardiner-32990808

Then after you go 'What am I listening to?!!' read the Escapist article.

It shows what PvP games are really all about, and no, it's not about more realism and immersion. It's about cowards hiding behind a screen to they can bully other defenseless players without any risk of direct retaliation like there would be if they acted like asshats in "real life". -Jean-Luc_Picard

Life itself is a game. So why shouldn't your game be ruined? - justmemyselfandi

Shodanas said:
    So?
    Verifying ones identity is one thing, easy to do.
    Verifying ones claims is something else.
    Did the "reporter" in question perform her due diligence in investigating her sources claims ?
    When someone comes forth, anonymously, with accusations the reporter is obliged to take these with a grain of salt and investigate further in order to verify his / her reportage. Instead, this lady choose to just throw shit at the fan.

The thing is, all the article really did was present the claims and the rebuttals, it wasn't written to unequivocably state that the claims were true. Some of it was gossipy crap, other parts were more concerning.

A normal investigation will use 3 sources as verification, ie if 2 people back up the claims of the 1st person then it is deemed printable, in this case they used 7+ but that's still not enough due diligence for some people.

These sources were anonymised, ie identity verified and withheld for privacy reasons, that's a world of difference from anonymous sources.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited January 2016
    edit:double posted for some reason

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

screecwe said:
    It's not really true though is it.
    There was only one person that had an "ID card" alongside his/her pay stubs as identification. The way you're wording it makes it sound as though all of them were verified by non-existant ID card.
    It calls into question their entire vetting process. It means at least one of the sources was fraudulent. Not to mention, 9 people just happened to contact The Escapist within less than 48 hours. Yeah...that's not at all fishy. 
    If there was any truth to the escapist article why wasn't any legal action taken against CIG after all this time? We are still waiting for CIG to be brought down by lawsuit and government action as predicted by the people that want SC to fail.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Asm0deus said:
    screecwe said:
    There was only one person that had an "ID card" alongside his/her pay stubs as identification. The way you're wording it makes it sound as though all of them were verified by non-existant ID card.
    It calls into question their entire vetting process. It means at least one of the sources was fraudulent. Not to mention, 9 people just happened to contact The Escapist within less than 48 hours. Yeah...that's not at all fishy. 
    If there was any truth to the escapist article why wasn't any legal action taken against CIG after all this time? We are still waiting for CIG to be brought down by lawsuit and government action as predicted by the haters.
    That is certainly the image they were painting in their posts at the time.. I'm still waiting to see the next piece of "journalism" they gleefully touted to follow the first one up, they may have stood by their original piece, in retaliation to CR"s warning, yet they don't seem to have tried to cause much of a stir since.

Likewise, if there wasn't any truth to the Escapist article why wasn't any legal action taken against them after all this time? We are still waiting for The Escapist to be brought down by lawsuit for defamatory and slanderous actions as predicted by the people that believe SC can do no wrong.

It's a stupid mess from whichever side you want to look at it from.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Didn't CIG threaten to sue Escapist. Did that come to fruition ?

edited January 2016
    kitarad said:
    Didn't CIG threaten to sue Escapist. Did that come to fruition ?
    My guess is cooler heads prevailed at CIG and CR was advised to let it be.  The only reason I can think of for CIG not to be brought to action is if there wasn't in fact any evidence and it was just a clickbait.

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100

Asm0deus said:
    screecwe said:
    If there was any truth to the escapist article why wasn't any legal action taken against CIG after all this time? We are still waiting for CIG to be brought down by lawsuit and government action as predicted by the people that want SC to fail.
    As long as Cloun Impertinum keeps releasing... something.. they're keeping a significant portion of the detractors mollified. You know, most of us aren't a hateful unfair bunch, regardless of how concerned or upset we are. All I really want is to see them unfuck themselves and start treating supporters respectfully with action instead of just bs stories and promises.

CIG says in 2 weeks they'll have a SQ42, disparate of persistent world SC, ready for... something. Sale? Release? Some other industry term used in a vague, improper manner? Who knows. Good, though. They can have the two weeks.
    edited January 2016
    Likewise, if there wasn't any truth to the Escapist article why wasn't any legal action taken against them after all this time? We are still waiting for The Escapist to be brought down by lawsuit for defamatory and slanderous actions as predicted by the people that believe SC can do no wrong.

It's a stupid mess from whichever side you want to look at it from.
    That's actually pretty simple, a lawsuit hurts all involved, it takes time as well as funds, on the other hand, The Escapist is a news site, their job is writing the story, as well as presenting it. Not to mention following through on a piece/investigation they start.

Unless they're sitting on it for some reason...when they have said themselves; if they have something they put it out there. Hence the rush to publish before CR's side was put in the original piece. (You don't want interest to fizzle out before you publish after all, I think we all get that..)

It just seems at this point they had nothing substantial to follow up with. Which says a lot about the original story. Unless of course they're afraid of actually getting sued.

They presented some serious implications in their initial report, they do have some responsibility as journalists to follow through on what they started, as well as presenting the closest thing they can to the truth. 

edited January 2016
    Adjuvant1 said:

Asm0deus said:
    screecwe said:
    As long as Cloun Impertinum keeps releasing... something.. they're keeping a significant portion of the detractors mollified. You know, most of us aren't a hateful unfair bunch, regardless of how concerned or upset we are. All I really want is to see them unfuck themselves and start treating supporters respectfully with action instead of just bs stories and promises.

CIG says in 2 weeks they'll have a SQ42, disparate of persistent world SC, ready for... something. Sale? Release? Some other industry term used in a vague, improper manner? Who knows. Good, though. They can have the two weeks.
    I am curious to see what happens in two weeks as I don't believe any dates when they do give some, this project is just to complex IMO for them to be giving out dates with any kind of accuracy.

You keep using Cloun Impertinum which is much longer to type than say CIG and I can only see it as dig to ruffle feathers, not mine but others who I can see taking offense at the term so it makes it hard for you to be taken seriously when you say most of you are not hateful.

It was rather funny the first time I saw it but now?

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Um.... is "clouns" supposed to be "clowns" or something?
    edited January 2016
    Eadan1 said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Adjuvant1 said:

I am curious to see what happens in two weeks as I don't believe any dates when they do give some, this project is just to complex IMO for them to be giving out dates with any kind of accuracy.

You keep using Cloun Impertinum which is much longer to type than say CIG and I can only see it as dig to ruffle feathers, not mine but others who I can see taking offense at the term so it makes it hard for you to be taken seriously when you say most of you are not hateful.

It was rather funny the first time I saw it but now?
    You think we all post for your amusement? What if he thinks they were clouns and still think they are clouns for their continuation of breaking promises but wishes they change their behaviour and not be clouns anymore? I guess many are hateful against scamming not your precious CIG or SC or CR.
    EDIT: as I feel my reply was off topic please ignore.

• dsmartdsmart Member UncommonPosts: 386
    Thourne said:
    Erillion said:
    goobsnews said:
    It's an assumption that Chris Roberts bought 3 Porsches?
    Proof ?

Have fun

Just to be clear I am not saying if he did or didn't but simply that you proclaim he did. That leaves you with the burden of proof my friend.
    So you have some evidence or are you talking out of your opinion?
    We (meaning my attorneys) have proof; or I wouldn't put anything of the sort in my blogs, knowing I'd get sued. Plus, even CR himself and Ortwin, have accused me of stalking just because I happened to write and point out stuff that's IN THE PUBLIC RECORD AND WHICH ANY P.I HAS ACCESS TO.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living.
    If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
    ...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

• dsmartdsmart Member UncommonPosts: 386
    Hey Guis!!

Can someone please ask Sandi about this? ktnx bye.

Original (now removed) location:

http://mognation.com/sunnys-diner-episode-3k13-sandi-gardiner/

Backup (we'll see how long this lasts):

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/old-republic-radio/sunnys-diner/e/sunnys-diner-episode-3k13-sandi-gardiner-32990808 (FF to 18:45 to get to the juicy parts)

Partial transcript (courtesy of Goons)

http://pastebin.com/h1GFd2E9

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living.
    If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
    ...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    edited January 2016
    I noticed earlier today that was removed shortly after your offer to have it transcribed.

edit: I honestly don't see the point in it, though. Unless you're going to argue her application to her current employer, credentials are immaterial, and, well, she didn't get the position for her degrees...
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    dsmart said:
    Thourne said:
    Erillion said:
    goobsnews said:
    Proof ?

Have fun

Just to be clear I am not saying if he did or didn't but simply that you proclaim he did. That leaves you with the burden of proof my friend.
    We (meaning my attorneys) have proof; or I wouldn't put anything of the sort in my blogs, knowing I'd get sued. Plus, even CR himself and Ortwin, have accused me of stalking just because I happened to write and point out stuff that's IN THE PUBLIC RECORD AND WHICH ANY P.I HAS ACCESS TO.

All we ever hear is that you have this damning proof, and lots of bluster about how you're going to bring down the Roberts Dynasty and CIG...

...except it never gets any further than bluster and posturing.

So obviously everything you say is BS, else the lawsuit you were threatening in July 2015 would have happened by now.
  • ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757
    dsmart said:
    Thourne said:
    Erillion said:
    goobsnews said:
    Proof ?

Have fun

Um wouldn't the fact that you dig through the Public Records and hire a P.I. actually mean you are kinda stalking them?
    In a completely legal way but none the less.