Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should We Question RSI & Star Citizen? Derek Smart Thinks So

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageShould We Question RSI & Star Citizen? Derek Smart Thinks So

Derek Smart has taken to his personal blog and launched a long piece about Star Citizen, how it has taken vast sums of money from backers who appear to, as Smart alleges, be willing in all that is spoken about the game without much actually being shown. It is Smart's contention that fans will never see a product that will approach its actual cost. With $85M in the coffers, Smart feels that dollars are being burned through very quickly with a staff of 300+.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DrakzillahDrakzillah Member UncommonPosts: 4
    FastForword almost Feb 2016 and the D Smart FUD campaign continues, https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/3qm1th/drama_megathread/

BUT…For some really good laughs check out Steam forums of his own game “Line of Defense MMO” almost every thread is locked and he vigorously deletes post/comment even entire threads and bans ppl for any criticism or proof of his game being a long-con, and blames all negative comments on steam flame bombed by Star Citizen backers, he has even deleted ppl’s screenshots of his game because he didn’t like the comments someone gave them
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    edited January 2016
    Derek Smart is pulling a donald trump, he is hating on Star Citizen to get publicity about his own worthless game.

He hates on it because he makes money from it, name recognition = his god awful game sales.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited January 2016
    FastForword almost Feb 2016 and the D Smart FUD campaign continues, https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/3qm1th/drama_megathread/

BUT…For some really good laughs check out Steam forums of his own game “Line of Defense MMO” almost every thread is locked and he vigorously deletes post/comment even entire threads and bans ppl for any criticism or proof of his game being a long-con, and blames all negative comments on steam flame bombed by Star Citizen backers, he has even deleted ppl’s screenshots of his game because he didn’t like the comments someone gave them

I'm confused, where's the relevancy and how does it affect his right to say what he wants about Star Citizen?

Edit: Way to necro a post and make Mr Smart relevant, no doubt he'll be personally thanking you for that.
  • whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Seriously, I didn't have a clue who this Derek Smart was before these threads. If he put as much time and effort in a new game as he does with protesting another, he could probably make something extraordinary. Unless his only real talent is trying to see others fail.
  • ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757

I'm confused, where's the relevancy and how does it affect his right to say what he wants about Star Citizen?
    It would be, learning about the history of the individual so one can examine the character of the source.
    It is the same thing as when persons spout off Roberts history to attempt correlation to current development.

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    Seriously, I didn't have a clue who this Derek Smart was before these threads. If he put as much time and effort in a new game as he does with protesting another, he could probably make something extraordinary. Unless his only real talent is trying to see others fail.
    Its' all about the PR.  You said it yourself, the effort he puts into hating on star citizen means you know who he is now. 
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Oh god.......
    Another D-Smart thread?
    Really?
  • whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    scorpex-x said:
    Its' all about the PR.  You said it yourself, the effort he puts into hating on star citizen means you know who he is now. 
    True, but my opinion of him is tainted now. I'm now more skeptical of anything he may be involved in.

scorpex-x said:
    True, but my opinion of him is tainted now. I'm now more skeptical of anything he may be involved in.

And your life will undoubtedly be better for the skepticism.
    "System" is trolling us...

Flagged
    Well since trolling seems so allowable here it might as well join in :)
    Thourne said:
    It would be, learning about the history of the individual so one can examine the character of the source.
    It is the same thing as when persons spout off Roberts history to attempt correlation to current development.

I'm not seeing that at all. Thats seems a strange twist of logic in my eyes.
    Roberts' past has some relevancy because he's making a game in the present. Smart's gaming achievements don't have any bearing on his right to an opinion.
  • QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    Thourne said:

Roberts' past has some relevancy because he's making a game in the present. Smart's gaming achievements don't have any bearing on his right to an opinion.
    DSmart is a competitor in the gaming market and is currently the CEO of a development company.  You don't think there is some conflict there?

Common friend, you cannot be that daft.
    Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
    Thourne said:

His character and experience in the same field both influence his views as would anyone's.
    Informing oneself of both should let us better understand the opinions he presents.
    Simpley put; Consider the source, requires a background to examine.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    This is weird... it seems like the "system" thread generator based on articles from the front page has gone necro... this is a July 2015 article lol.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    @Iselin ;

Auto-Necro ...thats a new one      ;-)

Have fun
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    That one point is absolutely a meaningless point.
    Just because Roberts doesn't go out of his way to question other developers does not mean a single thing other than he doesn't.It doesn't make his operation or game any more credible.

DEREK's main concern was that people SHOULD use their own brains,question what was going on ,what success he has had in the industry is 100% irrelevant.
    IMO all that ever happened were fanbois were using Derek as a crutch or scapegoat for Chris Robert's poor handling and management of the game.

Bottom line is Chris needs to stand up for his own actions without using Derek as a crutch to change the topic or change the fact it is all about Chris and NOT about Derek.Even more important is people should use their own brains to see what is going on and of course have SOME knowledge about game design,money and how systems and management should operate.

Instead what i see a lot of are fanbois who know very little so found it easy to just toss Derek's name in there to make Chris's bad management seem justified.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Iselin said:
    This is weird... it seems like the "system" thread generator based on articles from the front page has gone necro... this is a July 2015 article lol.
    Yeh, I smell a rat here. It seems the gist of the article is to present the facts A ) Smart was a disillusioned contributor, B ) Becoming too loud made him persona non grata C ) Therefore...

Therefore what? He should stop feeling the project is being mishandled? We should reject his position based on "who he is"?

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/43b9bk/squadron_42_interview_gillian_anderson/czhiphf

Well, I know who he is. I know what he's said. I'm not comfortable with the methods he uses in continuing to "say it", but also I feel, alot, the same way he does. I personally feel contributors should be shocked and disturbed by the progress and practices, and every inch people are allowing is turning into miles. Every, "well that's ok you're late", is turning into "well, that's ok you stomp naysayers", is turning into "well, that's ok you're not doing what you said", is turning into.. what's next?

"Well, that's ok you're charging contributors for SQ42 DLC"
    "Well, that's ok the game crashes every 5 minutes"
    "Well, that's ok to use Oculus Rift I need to buy $1100 worth of summer 2016 hardware"
    "Well, that's ok your lack of optimization melted my gpu"
    "Well, that's ok the persistent universe is a massive complex of instances"
    "Well, that's ok I have 20 people on my server to lord over with my $2000 jpeg"
    "Well, that's ok we finally got something close to what you described in 2018"

D ) Kick the messenger in a hole.

E ) ????????, F ) Profit!!11!one!!1! .... o wait....

Let's start over. A ) Profit!!11!one!!1! B ) You'll get what we give you and you'll like it. C ) Kick people who complain in a hole D ) Retcon E ) Profit soem moar!!!! F ) Grow old G ) something something H ) Profit!!! I ) Deliver something, sometime.

Crazy. people. to. think. this. is. all. somehow. ok.

Torval said:
    And that doesn't make him immune from having his motives questioned or his past history or incessant trolling brought into the discussion.

But his motives don't need to be questioned, they're as plain as day. And likewise, bringing up his history or examples of his trolling don't add anything to discussions, they just serve to muddy things up even more.
    It's similar to the diversionary tactic children use when they are in trouble, ie "Yeah I know I did but Luke did this..."

I must say it's interesting how some of us have such opposing views about these things.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Rhoklaw said:
    You know, I see a lot of people say Derek is only attacking SC to get some limelight with his games. Seriously? Do you think anyone gives 2 shits about any of his games? No. So this isn't about him using SC for his own personal agenda. He feels the same way a lot of us do regarding the financial management over at RSI / CiG, which isn't a ridiculous concern.
    Is that so? ...just to make sure I understand your post... So because you don't feel people care about his games, that totally removes any possibility of ulterior motives on his part? He's just a caring individual out to protect folks who willingly gave their money to be managed by folks they do not know, nor have any guarantee will use it  properly?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

An old thread necro'd out of no where. On a topic that is pretty heated.
    Oh this is going to be good.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    In this debate I'm just like Chauncey Gardiner, I like to watch.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Not a Derek Smart fan at all.  Ever since his extremely buggy Battle Cruiser games I have avoided anything he is involved with.

On that note, I have to completely agree with him on this.  You have to be living in denial to think otherwise.  This is just another 38 studios waiting to happen.  Chris Roberts can't manage 30 staff, let alone 300.  At least 38 studios got one product out the door, I don't even know if that will be the result with Star Citizen. 

Best thing to do if you invested in this boondoggle is to write it off and move on.  Your chances of seeing a game with half the features they promised are nil and if they ever do release something it will probably not look like anything you expected.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    We shouldn't care what Derek Smart has to say because: image

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.