Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen Number and Amount of Funds Raised - true or fake ?

ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
edited January 2016 in Star Citizen
Do you think the number of "Star Citizens" and the amount of "Funds Raised" as stated by Cloud Imperium Games on their homepage is true or fake ? https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

Comments

• rochristrochrist Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Why do you care?
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    I do not get into this bashing on either side. I do not support these type of funded games by paying way up front before you have a game to play either good or bad.

This back and forth does get old though. I will buy the game if it ever releases and it appears to be worth the cash. If not, no sweat.

This comes from someone that thought the original privateer was one of the best games ever. Still play it time to time. So i do hope for a good game eventually. Just do not believe much of anything that is said on either side till that happens, a game is ready to be bought.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    I'm not sure I believe the amount raised is fake but they do partake in some weird ass PR obfuscation with a lot of other things so it's not hard to see why people might question their integrity.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    rochrist said:
    Why do you care?
    The authenticity of these numbers has been called into question by some posters in this subforum. I am interested what the result of an anonymous poll w.r.t. those numbers would be, hopefully based on a high participation rate.

Have fun
  • vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593
    can be? but guess what , i not backed this project 
    if one day this game came out , i hope need pay only 60 usd  and my relation with this  guys be customer ;)

my bash , with this insame ammount money  and project its moving slow slowing... 400 employe and whats you have actual? after 4yr?(2012 kickstart if record well)

but dont clue , have fun 
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    edited January 2016
    There is nothing I hate more than companies lying or misleading with numbers, the dollar amount I think seems legit.  I haven't checked enough to know how they calculate the "star citizens" though.

Honestly it doesn't really matter until the game is released how many "star citizens" they have anyway.
  • ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    Since people that have requested a refund and received them are still being sent email's the same as "citizen's" whose account's have not been cancelled, that lead's me to believe that they are not being honest about the number of backer's they have, or the number of actual citizen's.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    If someone here questions those numbers, why would you think a poll here would change their minds?  I'm no fan of Chris Roberts lately but no one here can say for sure if those numbers are fake or not.  Its like me calling you a red head, it doesnt mean anything and there is no way to prove it since you could always post a picture of your friends red hair.

Lets face it, just about every aspect of the game has been argued into the ground and both sides are running out of crap to argue about.  Cant we all just take a week or two off and find something else to whine about?  Lets all head over to "The Division" and argue over there.  Which side of the argument over there do you want, I'll take the other side.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited January 2016
    The thing with the "Star Citizen" number is that it counts any and everybody. It includes anyone that signed up when the forums were open to the public, it includes duplicate accounts from the same IP, it includes free week flight accounts and so on.
    I'd be interested to know the number of people that own a game account but otherwise it's just another slimy studio pretending that 1,000,000 accounts = 1,000,000 paying customers.
    Talonsin said:
     why would you think a poll here would change their minds?
    It is not supposed to change minds.

I ask for opinions. Not facts - my assumption is that none of us has those facts and/or would not share it here.

Have fun
  • goobsnewsgoobsnews Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Noone cares about your opinions. We only want facts.
  • ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757
    goobsnews said:
    He started an opinion based thread asking for peoples opinions. 
    He did not pronounce a great truth that was in fact an opinion.
  • goobsnewsgoobsnews Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Thourne said:
    goobsnews said:
    You realize you're one of the reasons why people stay the hell away from SC right? You're not doing CR any favors, I hope you know this.
    goobsnews said:
    Thourne said:
    goobsnews said:
    You realize you're one of the reasons why people stay the hell away from SC right? You're not doing CR any favors, I hope you know this.
    Thank you for your opinion.
    I fail to agree.
  • QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    edited January 2016
    Erillion said:
    rochrist said:
    Why do you care?
    The authenticity of these numbers has been called into question by some posters in this subforum. I am interested what the result of an anonymous poll w.r.t. those numbers would be, hopefully based on a high participation rate.

Have fun
    People who believe or do not believe the reporting of the numbers have no proof to substantiate their claims thus leading to more ridiculous conversation about who is right and who is wrong.  

At this point, most of the conversations about SC are full of trolls or people who feed off of negative publicity.  There is very little logical and reasonable discussion happening about the game right now.  Most of the discussion revolves around people arguing semantics or how Chris Roberts said this in 2012 but changed a word in 2016 - HE'S NOT DELIVERING ON HIS PROMISES!
    Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4

Thourne said:
    goobsnews said:
    Thourne said:
    goobsnews said:
    I fail to agree.
    I do puzzle at how someone asking for proof makes me the enemy.

• LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664

I think its true, I know people who have thrown up crazy money to fund this. I can see more than just a couple people backing it. Ill be waiting closer to release or after to drop anything on this game, I would love for this to be a success and have everything in it that is promised. That being said the people defending this game are no different than any other game but the people that are rushing out to bash it are only bashing it because of the success of people backing it is amazing.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    edited January 2016
    goobsnews said:
    Thourne said:
    goobsnews said:
      Didn't realize we were in any way required, or even requested, to do anyone any favors. Those who are anticipating to play this game will do so, and those who don't will undoubtedly not be persuaded either way.

If one cannot make his/her own mind about playing a game, or is easily goaded or susceptible by anonymous posters, then maybe choosing anything in life should be done with caution.

I think its true, I know people who have thrown up crazy money to fund this. I can see more than just a couple people backing it. Ill be waiting closer to release or after to drop anything on this game, I would love for this to be a success and have everything in it that is promised. That being said the people defending this game are no different than any other game but the people that are rushing out to bash it are only bashing it because of the success of people backing it is amazing.

Completely agree with you and your stance.
    Anyone with any doubt should just hold their money and wait to see if what gets finished is something they want.
    If so buy. If not don't. Simple.
    edited January 2016
    Thourne said:

Thourne said:
    goobsnews said:
    Thourne said:
    goobsnews said:
    I fail to agree.
    I do puzzle at how someone asking for proof makes me the enemy.

Because proof is the only thing standing in the way of a troll.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Quesa said:
      Most of the discussion revolves around people arguing semantics or how Chris Roberts said this in 2012 but changed a word in 2016 - HE'S NOT DELIVERING ON HIS PROMISES!
    Welcome to the support side of SC.  You are doing a great job of masking the real issues with non-issues, like most of the supporters, so you are off to a great start!    Lets hide the fact that Star Marine was said to be releasing in a few weeks 8 months ago and is now indefinitely postponed after all those promises brought in many backers and mask it behind something completely off the wall like making it appear one word has changed in 4 years.  My hats off to you sir!  You will make a great apprentice for Erillion. 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Talonsin said:
    Quesa said:
      Most of the discussion revolves around people arguing semantics or how Chris Roberts said this in 2012 but changed a word in 2016 - HE'S NOT DELIVERING ON HIS PROMISES!
    Welcome to the support side of SC.  You are doing a great job of masking the real issues with non-issues, like most of the supporters, so you are off to a great start!    Lets hide the fact that Star Marine was said to be releasing in a few weeks 8 months ago and is now indefinitely postponed after all those promises brought in many backers and mask it behind something completely off the wall like making it appear one word has changed in 4 years.  My hats off to you sir!  You will make a great apprentice for Erillion. 
    Which means, it's delayed.  Shocking that this can happen in a development project but lets just ignore the fact that people, on these very forums, are saying SM is scrapped.

You're just proving my point.
    Talonsin said:
    Quesa said:
    So unfounded accusations should be used in the formation of opinions?

I am certainly not denying that SM has been delayed but I am also not stating it has been cancelled as some have.
    Do I like that it has been delayed?
    No.
    Do I expect countless delays when it comes to video game development, with decades of playing them, yes.

I have absolutely no problem waiting for the game to come out when it does. I have personally found that most games that get pushed live when the developer thinks they are ready and not according to timetables are better. These are my personal opinions.
    As some posters have predicted, the ongoing Free Fly event has increased the number of "Star Citizens" ... its over 1.2 million now.

Seems like quite a few of those have converted their free accounts into paid pledge accounts as the number of ships ("UEE Fleet") has increased by 2200 in the last 1.5 days.

Have fun
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    As there is no other source, I'm inclined to believe they are true until evidence to the contrary is presented, my opinion on it is meaningless.

Meanwhile I'm having fun.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon