Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you pleased with the status in development of Star Citizen?

Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
edited January 2016 in Star Citizen
Tell us how you really feel. Poll is anonymous.

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    My favorite color is clear...
    It's why I lick windows.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    I voted for "Nah. He could be doing alot better but I'm not about to jump off the fence and start punching kittens."
    I think they're making many mistakes, have an endemic case of bad communication and the game will never live up to their lofty promises but it will be probably be fun.

Whale hunting will never be the same again.
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Need more voters. Maybe some thread theme music...

Look at the little monkey! I name him Boris S. Retch!

• LoveRemovalMachineLoveRemovalMachine Member UncommonPosts: 213
    edited January 2016
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Need more voters. ...
    Couldn't vote as I am 100% against these kinds of aw-full monetisation schemes in games. If successful other game-makers will follow. That's what I am against (No option for that in your poll).

Sure, I like the idea of a Star Citizen concept but without the whaling and/or aw-full monetisation schemes.
    We are always in a race what our intelligence can do for us and what our intelligence does to us.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited January 2016
    I'm not really following the progress, so can't have an informed opinion.

Ask me how I feel about the monetization model.  :p

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    I love the idea of the game but I knew it was going to be years in development hell, so I gave them nothing and as such I don't care how long it takes.  Just like every other game, no matter how good it is I'll be bored of it in a few months anyway (example is witcher 3).

You gotta keep in mind that the money he obtained was way above his expectations, he has to put that extra money into the game or face harsh criticism.  Does he stick to the original plan and put out a game that costs 200k to make when he got 1 million or does he put all that money into it and extend development time.  He gets hate either way, it's either "you're taking too long, I want it now" or "he made a 200k game and pocketed the 800k".

Ill buy it when it's done and as such I'm not angsty at all, it'll take as long as it takes.  I like people donated because it would not exist if not for them but if you donated and are now complaining you're a dumbass.  It was a "donation".

He could bail on the project tomorrow if he wanted to, there is no law to say he has to finish it.  The game is obviously a labor of love for him and he wants to finish it and it be the best game he can make, so he won't do that I would imagine but it still makes me laugh when people don't understand the system they gave money to.

In his position I would give you all the finger and drive away in my ferrari (although all I see is the haters, I'm sure the game has a large happy fanbase he wants to make the game for), he is already a millionaire from his previous projects anyway. 
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I'm absolutely convinced that the SC dev team have run into many serious issues while trying to implement the game design. And that they will run into several more roadblocks that have to be overcome. I'm also sure that the PR has not been 100% truthful. But that is to be expected.

However, I see no reason to worry about the eventual game that will be produced. Nothing that has happened to so far gives me any reason to doubt that SC will be the best "hands-on" space sim ever produced. I also believe it will take significantly longer to produce than anyone expected.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

People are giving them money to make a computer game, they are making a computer game.  Not sure why that bothers some people.  Just jealousy I guess because of the amount of money people have given them.

goboygo said:

People are giving them money to make a computer game, they are making a computer game.  Not sure why that bothers some people.  Just jealousy I guess because of the amount of money people have given them.

Hmmm...

more theme music. More votes!

• ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757
    If you'd have included:

"Sure. Things take time and these changes and delays are part of the process. I'm seeing setbacks that are reactions to planned avenues not working out."

I would have voted.
  • QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    edited January 2016
    Could really have used an option between:

"Sure. Things take time and these changes and delays are part of the process. I'm starting to see questionable practices but it's not blowing my overall perspective."

and

"Yes. So much wonderful work has already been contributed and, aside from an issue or two, I'm relatively confident in this process."

Probably, "Sure. Things take time and these changes and delays are part of the process. I'm starting to see questionable practices but it's not blowing my overall perspective", without the starting to see questionable practices part.  Choice seems too binary, you either are happy or some bad shit is going on.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • JohnP0100JohnP0100 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    One of CIG Staff (Disco Lando) confirmed that the 100 star systems are still in TEXT form.

http://www.twitch.tv/supremetokyo/v/38887857

Q: what is your favorite star system in SC?
    A: I don't really have a favorite star system because they're all just text and a single piece of concept art really

It shows what PvP games are really all about, and no, it's not about more realism and immersion. It's about cowards hiding behind a screen to they can bully other defenseless players without any risk of direct retaliation like there would be if they acted like asshats in "real life". -Jean-Luc_Picard

Life itself is a game. So why shouldn't your game be ruined? - justmemyselfandi

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    JohnP0100 said:
    One of CIG Staff (Disco Lando) confirmed that the 100 star systems are still in TEXT form.

A: I don't really have a favorite star system because they're all just text and a single piece of concept art really
    LOL Found that one statement funny as hell. The backers better hope they have majority of money left because if they don't they will be closing up very soon. 
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719
    edited February 2016
    Kind of hard to vote when u don't have the option describing what i think.

I don't care whether Roberts or any of the team are amazing or not, i don't care if the timelines are matching up, i don't care about what's been released up so far, or at what point anything that is being developed is.

The only thing i care, and would like to happen, is for them to take at least 2x-3x more time to develop
    bare minimum of  (squadron 42 not before end of 2017/early 2018 and Star Citizen multiplayer not before late 2018/early 2019)

I don't want any part rushed for any reason, i want to wait for as long as it's needed and more, and for the team to do the best they can and take more time that they need to release what even derek smart would consider adequate launch game state.

To clarify, hypothetically on full release, derek smart says this is absolutely adequate and passable, i approve of the release state of all star citizen games/modules. What i want is more than that (above & beyond that), with unlimited resources, unlimited  development time  and unlimited questionable things in between to achieve it. 
  • QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    Brenics said:
    JohnP0100 said:

LOL Found that one statement funny as hell. The backers better hope they have majority of money left because if they don't they will be closing up very soon. 
    Not really concerned at this point.  Even if they are just concept art, the creation of a planet is probably easier than creating reusable assets for stations so they can go in and fill out the systems.  

They already have a pretty good idea of the systems already, like generic topography, atmosphere, backstory, possible resources, and jump points.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/starmap

They still have other work to do like the addition of the various careers and the remaining FPS elements.   The Star Farer isn't too far off (refueling).  They've hinted that cargo is close and those FPS elements will hopefully start hitting in 2.2+, which we should have news on in a week or so.
    Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    Quesa said:
    [...]

Even if they are just concept art, the creation of a planet is probably easier than creating reusable assets for stations so they can go in and fill out the systems.  

[...]
    Indeed, you can easy create a procedural terrain and map it on a sphere.
    The Post processing work just eats a little time up, it's also easy to write a mesh tool for shaping it afterwards.

With a good LOD system it's also possible to implement this stuff in a game.

They should just not start with things like rotate it because this is something that does not work out (you can not land on a rotating planet)

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220
    I gave in and pledged not too long ago and I was impressed by how smooth and fun things are, despite the bulk of the game not being implemented yet. I was expecting something a lot more clunky and bleh, but I am actually having fun.
  • MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    scorpex-x said:
    I love the idea of the game but I knew it was going to be years in development hell, so I gave them nothing and as such I don't care how long it takes.  Just like every other game, no matter how good it is I'll be bored of it in a few months anyway (example is witcher 3).

You gotta keep in mind that the money he obtained was way above his expectations, he has to put that extra money into the game or face harsh criticism.  Does he stick to the original plan and put out a game that costs 200k to make when he got 1 million or does he put all that money into it and extend development time.  He gets hate either way, it's either "you're taking too long, I want it now" or "he made a 200k game and pocketed the 800k".

The problem is that he put the money into 4 offices worldwide some of which cost $20 million. You don't need 4 offices worldwide to develop this game. It is wasting backers money while at the same time making sure he will have something to liquidate once this hole thing is over. The only one coming out on top of this is CR and his failed actress wife.

Why do you think he created a web of corporations to shovel the money around?

1. Cloud Imperium Games Corp, West Hollywood, CA
    2. Cloud Imperium Games LLC, West Hollywood, CA
    3. Cloud Imperium Services, LLC West Hollywood, CA <– The one is interesting. It is found on BBB, but is not in the CA Secretary Of State dB records
    4. Cloud Imperium Games LLC, Santa Monica, CA
    5. Cloud Imperium Games Texas LLC, West Hollywood, CA
    6. Cloud Imperium Games Texas LLC, Austin, TX
    7. Cloud Imperium Games UK Limited, UK
    8. Foundry 42 Limited, UK
    9. Foundry 42, Germany
    10. Gemini 42 Entertainment LLC, West Hollywood, CA
    11. Gemini 42 Productions LLC, Santa Monica, CA
    12. Roberts Space Industries Corp, West Hollywood, CA
    13. Roberts Space Industries International Limited, UK
    14. Twin Brothers Production Inc, West Hollywood, CA
    15. Twin Bros, Germany

Ask yourself. Do you really need that many companies and that many offices to make this game?
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    scorpex-x said:

The problem is that he put the money into 4 offices worldwide some of which cost $20 million. You don't need 4 offices worldwide to develop this game. It is wasting backers money while at the same time making sure he will have something to liquidate once this hole thing is over. The only one coming out on top of this is CR and his failed actress wife.

Why do you think he created a web of corporations to shovel the money around?

1. Cloud Imperium Games Corp, West Hollywood, CA
    2. Cloud Imperium Games LLC, West Hollywood, CA
    3. Cloud Imperium Services, LLC West Hollywood, CA <– The one is interesting. It is found on BBB, but is not in the CA Secretary Of State dB records
    4. Cloud Imperium Games LLC, Santa Monica, CA
    5. Cloud Imperium Games Texas LLC, West Hollywood, CA
    6. Cloud Imperium Games Texas LLC, Austin, TX
    7. Cloud Imperium Games UK Limited, UK
    8. Foundry 42 Limited, UK
    9. Foundry 42, Germany
    10. Gemini 42 Entertainment LLC, West Hollywood, CA
    11. Gemini 42 Productions LLC, Santa Monica, CA
    12. Roberts Space Industries Corp, West Hollywood, CA
    13. Roberts Space Industries International Limited, UK
    14. Twin Brothers Production Inc, West Hollywood, CA
    15. Twin Bros, Germany

Ask yourself. Do you really need that many companies and that many offices to make this game?
    That is a real good question. But am sure Erillion will clear it all up for us at some point. 

100m+ and all those companies and CR having his name on all of them makes him get a very nice paycheck, wouldn't you think? 

Wonder what title Sandi has in each one?

Yet Erillion will also clear those questions up am very sure. Have faith in my little buddy!  B)
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

That's a deep, dark rabbit hole, man. I can see, not only from your post but other sources, what you say is true, but I'm not even going there. More power to whoever does.
  • BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    voted No opinion, I simply don't care about it enough to bother to from one.  Wish it would launch or crash already though.  Drama around SC makes soap Operas tame.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    edited February 2016
    Brenics said:
    That is a real good question. But am sure Erillion will clear it all up for us at some point. 
    Some Reasons:

Tax breaks (especially UK) --> More cash for development

Lower wages in Europe (gaming industry)

Going were the talent is (instead of paying a lot for the talent to come to you)

Less competition for talent

Going were the experts are  (for a game based on the CryEngine to get some of the best and brightest engineers of CryTrek in Frankfurt was quite a stroke of luck)

Have fun