Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A history of Star Marine - The FPS shooter component of Star Citizens.

Comments

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    screecwe said:

Cant get much more clear than that.

This is the guy that said we would have SM back in April last year, the guy who said it was weeks, not months away, that it would be playable in 2.1 (or shortly after) and all of those other sweet things he promised it would be.

After all of that why would anyone believe this person means what he says? The man is a gobshite.

Courtesy of the SA forums.

..Cake..

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited January 2016
    Erillion said:
    Incorrect.

Have fun

Wow, what a wealth of information you are...

Of course it's scrapped. It's only weasel word apologists who will vehemently try to oppose that it isn't scrapped.
    Sure, in time the ideas of what the SM module would consist of will be added to the PU, but that is nowhere near the same as taking everything that currently makes up the SM module and just placing it into the PU.
    You have been show it's not scrapped so maybe stop yourself with the weasel words as that's all this is.

The only thing the OP posts show is that there has been delays and that CR likes to hype his product...hmm I guess this never happens in any mmo in development...like ever...lol

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

Just because something similar will eventually be in the game does not mean that the current module is not scrapped.
    It is not "something similar". It is still the same game in the game that was announced earlier.

So ... not "scrapped".

In the development timeline the date for introducing this game in the game to the test servers has changed / has been pushed back. Sad, but thats how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

That various assets for this game in the game are already existing on the developer/Q&A  level (e.g. Gold Horizon station map, various weapons, various gadgets etc.) has already been shown in multiple videos. Those assets will gradually be introduced into the current Alpha test build so the player testers and not only the QA team can test it. Once all the parts work, the game in the game will become available.

All this information is available in official statements and videos you can find online.

Have fun
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Asm0deus said:
    You have been show it's not scrapped so maybe stop yourself with the weasel words as that's all this is.

The only thing the OP posts show is that there has been delays and that CR likes to hype his product...hmm I guess this never happens in any mmo in development...like ever...lol

Except I haven't been shown anything, all I see is a bunch of apologists trying to redefine the meaning of the word 'scrapped'.
    You'll have to excuse me if I don't take their weaselness on board.

You know who else likes delays, hyping of products and weasel wording their way out of promises - Peter Molyneaux, is that how people want CIG to be perceived?
    Erillion said:
    It is not "something similar". It is still the same game in the game that was announced earlier.

Have fun

Uh huh, and the 'Smart Car' is 85% identical to the 'Erillion' car, yet the 'Erillion' car still couldn't think/drive around corners and so it was scrapped.

You can repeat it ad infinitum but you don't get to redefine the dictionary I'm afraid. Scrapped is scrapped.
    edited January 2016
    Asm0deus said:

Except I haven't been shown anything, all I see is a bunch of apologists trying to redefine the meaning of the word 'scrapped'.
    You'll have to excuse me if I don't take their weaselness on board.

You know who else likes delays, hyping of products and weasel wording their way out of promises - Peter Molyneaux, is that how people want CIG to be perceived?
    [mod edit]

Just because they might change the name of something or change the order something is put in doesn't make something scrapped.

Take FD for example there was suppose to be an offline mode.. they didn't change the name or how it worked they "scrapped" it. You can't say solo mode is the offline mode as you need to have a net connection to play, that is what "scrapped" means.

What SC is doing isn't scrapping SM, they may change some of it, like any mechanic can change in an alpha, they may change how it is released and even when but scrapping it would mean it's not being released AT ALL just like offline mode in ED.

Last thing I am not an SC apologist, there lots of things about SC I don't like for example,

~ the overly priced ships
    ~ the ape like movement of character models
    ~ CR himself, he should stfu and let his PR people do the talking
    ~ I bitch and moan about various mechnics on their forum lately its how g force will apply only to pilots but not crew in multi player ship
    ~ I dislike the delays and feature creep

That said I think the game could be much fun if it does half of what they want too so I have indeed backed it BUT like any game I do back I don't consider it an investment, I don't expect to see their books, I don't feel like they owe me an accounting cause lets face it crowd funding is like charity and any money you give whether they succeed or not is money down the drain and it's really that simple...the only thing you can do is hope for the best.

[mod edit]

Post edited by Amana on

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

edited January 2016
    screecwe said:
    Is that how your brain works? No one is redefining anything but you. You have no evidence that Star Marine is scrapped. The people working on it (you know...the ones that matter) say it's not scrapped. There is no argument besides your inane blathering on about lies and scams. You need help.

Is this how your brain works? I am not the one trying to pass off something that will appear in the future as the same thing as what was advertised last year (but is not being released).
  • screecwescreecwe Member UncommonPosts: 127
    screecwe said:
    Is that how your brain works? No one is redefining anything but you. You have no evidence that Star Marine is scrapped. The people working on it (you know...the ones that matter) say it's not scrapped. There is no argument besides your inane blathering on about lies and scams. You need help.

Is this how your brain works? I am not the one trying to pass off something that will appear in the future as the same thing as what was advertised last year (but is not being released).
    You're literally making things up right now.You can't even form a halfway passable argument.
    Asm0deus said:
    You have except YOU want to redifine the word scrapped, it's really that simple, Are you an infant have you never seen mechanics or how something works change in an alpha?

Just because they might change the name of something or change the order something is put in doesn't make something scrapped.

Take FD for example there was suppose to be an offline mode.. they didn't change the name or how it worked they "scrapped" it. You can't say solo mode is the offline mode as you need to have a net connection to play, that is what "scrapped" means.

What SC is doing isn't scrapping SM, they may change some of it, like any mechanic can change in an alpha, they may change how it is released and even when but scrapping it would mean it's not being released AT ALL just like offline mode in ED.

Last thing I am not an SC apologist, there lots of things about SC I don't like for example,

~ I bitch and moan about various mechnics on their forum lately its how g force will apply only to pilots but not crew in multi player ship

That said I think the game could be much fun if it does half of what they want too so I have indeed backed it BUT like any game I do back I don't consider it an investment, I don't expect to see their books, I don't feel like they own me an accounting cause lets face it crowd funding is like charity and any money you give whether they succeed or not is money down the drain and it's really that simple...the only thing you can do is hope for the best.

People that expect different are just tards looking to hate on something or wanting to see something fail.

Ooh, hurting me so bad with your infant jibe. The golfers be clapping.

I don't care that they are bringing what Star Marine is meant to consist of into the game at a later date. I care about what was done last year, everything that was shown to entice money out of people when it now becomes apparent that they didn't know if they could deliver or not.

The difference between this and Frontier's offline mode is that Frontier never demoed the bloody thing.
    It's bad enough to say and not deliver, but something else to advertise it at conventions, to demo it, to pitch it to backers as something playable within a few weeks and then not deliver it almost a year later.

The module they advertised is scrapped, there is no getting around that. CIG's FPS will not be Illfonic's FPS and as it was Illfonics's Star Marine that was advertised, it is scrapped. Simple enough to understand?
    screecwe said:
    You're literally making things up right now.You can't even form a halfway passable argument.

How can you say such an idiotic thing without seeing the hypocrisy?
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    So much feature creep, leading to the mouths writing checks their collective asses couldn't cash, so they retcon and backburner the ender's game knockoff...

Now they say SQ42 will be in release state in 2 weeks, and it had better, because Cloun Impertinum is running dry of soft assets, and there's a torch and pitchfork, or maybe a powder keg, crowd forming very near the castle gates.

Will commando ever get a long beard?
    Will stimperor get his hands on a rail gun?
    Will the next "10 for chairman" feature CR in an open bathrobe?
    Will #StarTraders be the monopoly killer?
    Will Sandy see her reflection in a mirror?

Stay tuned for all this and more!

edited January 2016
    Asm0deus said:
    You have except YOU want to redifine the word scrapped, it's really that simple, Are you an infant have you never seen mechanics or how something works change in an alpha?

That said I think the game could be much fun if it does half of what they want too so I have indeed backed it BUT like any game I do back I don't consider it an investment, I don't expect to see their books, I don't feel like they own me an accounting cause lets face it crowd funding is like charity and any money you give whether they succeed or not is money down the drain and it's really that simple...the only thing you can do is hope for the best.

People that expect different are just tards looking to hate on something or wanting to see something fail.

Ooh, hurting me so bad with your infant jibe. The golfers be clapping.

I don't care that they are bringing what Star Marine is meant to consist of into the game at a later date. I care about what was done last year, everything that was shown to entice money out of people when it now becomes apparent that they didn't know if they could deliver or not.

The difference between this and Frontier's offline mode is that Frontier never demoed the bloody thing.
    It's bad enough to say and not deliver, but something else to advertise it at conventions, to demo it, to pitch it to backers as something playable within a few weeks and then not deliver it almost a year later.

The module they advertised is scrapped, there is no getting around that. CIG's FPS will not be Illfonic's FPS and as it was Illfonics's Star Marine that was advertised, it is scrapped. Simple enough to understand?
    It's very much the same thing as FD offline mode, do you have any idea how many people backed ED just with the intention of playing offline only? I think not with your ignorant statement!  FD did scrap it which is far far worse than what SC are doing because those that wanted to play offline will never ever be able to.

Your child like tears and cries of "but but it was promised to us RIGHT NOW waa waa waa" doesn't change the FACT that it is not scrapped only delayed. I wont even get into how you seem to have no idea what SM was really intended for...

...which was testing fps mechanics before the PU came out but since they had trouble with it and PU came out before it's seams reasonable to me that they will test fps stuff directly into the PU and release the "game in a game module" later on.

As for illfonics my bet is the reason fps has been such trouble is they were too busy working on revival to get SC fps working properly....

All this griping isn't about it being scrapped as clearly that is a lie but rather about wanting it now now now now.

Instead of having a sissy fit man up have a cookie and just wait for it.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

It's sad to me to see the people who don't understand (or can't admit) that you cannot trust Chris Roberts and his mouthpieces in anything they say.   

Coming soon!  Next weeks edition of 'Ten Retcons for the Chairman!'

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

edited January 2016
    Asm0deus said:
    It's very much the same thing as FD offline mode, do you have any idea how many people backed ED just with the intention of playing offline only? I think not with your ignorant statement!  FD did scrap it which is far far worse than what SC are doing because those that wanted to play offline will never ever be able to.

Your child like tears and cries of "but but it was promised to us RIGHT NOW waa waa waa" doesn't change the FACT that it is not scrapped only delayed. I wont even get into how you seem to have no idea what SM was really intended for...

...which was testing fps mechanics before the PU came out but since they had trouble with it and PU came out before it's seams reasonable to me that they will test fps stuff directly into the PU and release the "game in a game module" later on.

As for illfonics my bet is the reason fps has been such trouble is they were too busy working on revival to get SC fps working properly....

All this griping isn't about it being scrapped as clearly that is a lie but rather about wanting it now now now now.

Instead of having a sissy fit man up have a cookie and just wait for it.

It really isn't the same thing at all. Yes people backed Elite because they thought they were getting an offline mode. However, Frontier never showed an offline mode in a working environment, nor did they advertise it at any convention or write up articles about how it would work, differing features to online mode etc. They also (eventually) gave refunds to those that had backed on the premise of the offline mode.

CIG on the other hand have done the complete opposite of all of those things. They showed it working in a LAN + WAN setting, they used it as part of their main pitch during conventions, they wrote articles about its current status and so on. They are also refusing to issue refunds.

That's a pretty big difference.

The only griping is coming from those who can't accept that the SM module made by Illfonic and advertised all last year is scrapped and want to have the last word as can be seen via your post.
    So take your own advice, man up, beg mommy for a cookie and accept that the situation is what it is instead of apologising for CIG.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Damn, and I'm all out of popcorn. 

The only thing I really have to say about Roberts at this point (which hasn't already been said), is that he's the guy who directed and produced a movie based on the IP he created, and completely and utterly fucked it up. Badly. We're talking near Uwe Boll levels of incompetence. Hell, I think Uwe Boll could have done better.  He certainly couldn't do worse. 

Star Citizen was the most entertaining game of 2015 for me (Greed Monger was close), and the 2016 version so far is not looking like it'll disappoint. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited January 2016
    Erillion said:
    Incorrect.

Have fun

Wow, what a wealth of information you are...

Of course it's scrapped. It's only weasel word apologists who will vehemently try to oppose that it isn't scrapped.
    Sure, in time the ideas of what the SM module would consist of will be added to the PU, but that is nowhere near the same as taking everything that currently makes up the SM module and just placing it into the PU.
    It may be a dumb analogy but I have to ask, what would you rather have, the batter or the cake? I get the part about CR promising the moon.. Yet what you just said is a little much. I mean sure, I like to lick the batter as well, but the cake is the ultimate prize in the end... If the FPS elements end up in the game, this big stink means what exactly?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited January 2016
    Pretty simple really why use the title of Star Marine if there is no real Star Marine module?Just to toss around some fancy titles?

It is like someone starting a baseball league but then announce we won't be using baseball's or bats or gloves and never indicated that we would be.

Also we are now beyond the stage of him pulling off the 6 million dollar game to which even that part is not yet finished.We are now at the 100 million ...worth 200 million by his words and now need to start seeing the equivalent of a game...not LESS of a game.

Seriously what are people buying into a small cockpit and fly around space and a hangar to enjoy looking at your purchases?Can you even enjoy your hangar since it is a super laggy mess and what does the Hangar offer,upgrades,furniture/tools npc's ,does it have any depth at all other than just a 4 wall instance building?

Sorry but i am just not seeing any depth in this game what so ever,all i see is simple ideas that are costing a ton of money and still struggles to pull off these simple ideas.I find it impossible to believe that anyone with a straight face would hand this guy 100+ million of their own money and be happy with where this game is at,i really believe not one fanbois is being honest here.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited January 2016
    Distopia said:
    It may be a dumb analogy but I have to ask, what would you rather have, the batter or the cake? I get the part about CR promising the moon.. Yet what you just said is a little much, I mean sure, I like to lick the batter as well, but the cake is the ultimate prize in the end... If the FPS elements end up in the game, this big stink means what exactly?

I really couldn't agree more but as I said earlier it's not about the module, it's about the practice.

All the attempts at semantics to avoid watching Roberts speaking out of both sides of his mouth is not a good way to be responsible about your money or the standards people want from developers.
    [mod edit]
    Post edited by Amana on
  • JohnP0100JohnP0100 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    The amount of people trying to tell others what Chris Roberts said is hilarious. It is in video form.
    He got 'annoyed' because backers had the audacity to ask 'where is SM that you said was 'weeks away'?'

If anyone wants to know what is really happening, look at the StarCitizen_Trades sub-reddit; https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_trades
    Then compare that to a month ago.
    Jeez, looks like a lot of people want to sell now.
    The supporters all abandoning ship (sorry, I forgot the narrative was 'Real Life happened and I need to cash out' Funny how 'Real Life' happened to everyone all in the last 2-3 weeks! LOL!). SC Supporters will write a lot but the proof is in that subreddit.

The drama over the 'unmelt' thingy is hilarious btw. Yes, that thing was so bad that even Reddit/SC supporters couldn't justify it.

It shows what PvP games are really all about, and no, it's not about more realism and immersion. It's about cowards hiding behind a screen to they can bully other defenseless players without any risk of direct retaliation like there would be if they acted like asshats in "real life". -Jean-Luc_Picard

Life itself is a game. So why shouldn't your game be ruined? - justmemyselfandi

• Psychos1sPsychos1s Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Weeks not Months guys.

Didn't want that module anyway.

Star Marine despite being hyped up to the absolute max by the Messiah as the next thing in FPS wasn't such a big deal.

It's not cancelled, it's just been delayed indefinitely.

Did I miss anything?
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Psychos1s said:
    Weeks not Months guys.

Star Marine despite being hyped up to the absolute max by the Messiah as the next thing in FPS wasn't such a big deal.

Did I miss anything?
    Pretty much simple as that, not sure why people are losing their mind over it.

Priorities have changed and that's all that happened, but for some there has to be a conspiracy behind it.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Ah yes, another dramatic storm-in-a-teacup brought to us by the SC unFans !

I seriously doubt that any SC backer will want to cancel their pledge because the game will no longer feature a standalone FPS practice module at launch. That's just histrionics.

SC will still have FPS combat, seamless transitions from ship interior to space, hostile boarding actions and EVA activities. These features were promised for the PU, and so far they all still remain intact.

I suspect that the team realised that they were spending too much time on a standalone module that would inevitably be expected to have all the bells and whistles of a "Battlefield franchise in Zero-G". So they just put it on the backburner and focused on their main objective: integrating and completing the PU.

Ah yes, another dramatic storm-in-a-teacup brought to us by the SC unFans !

I suspect that the team realised that they were spending too much time on a standalone module that would inevitably be expected to have all the bells and whistles of a "Battlefield franchise in Zero-G". So they just put it on the backburner and focused on their main objective: integrating and completing the PU.

Well that's their fault for pitching the module as that then. CIG were the ones claiming the SM module would rival other AAA shooters, not the backers.
    As far as I know the original work was meant to get merged, so what was being done for SM would benefit the main game and therefore no real time wasted. For whatever reason the module and the merge were largely unsuccessful so we end up with a huge amount of time and money wasted.

Hopefully it's not something that's repeated.
  • weslubowweslubow Member UncommonPosts: 163
    This all started as a $5 million stretch goal on kick starter. It would allow person to person pvp and boarding action. Oh, lets not forget zero g combat and eva. From there it expanded to stations and beyond.
    If you doubt this check the site.
    The module will happen, under whatever name, later. From what the developer presentations have explained it sounds amazing. The latest developer talk I saw gave plenty of details about first person view and juke movements. They also made a few comments on third person view from the earlier presentation. It seems all of it needed to be cleaned up and polished. (clunky animations and other things)
    Take a deep breath. It is coming. With neat weapons and fun features. I haven't played this kind of pvp for a long time, but this has my attention. I will wait and see what happens
  • ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757
    Psychos1s said:
    Weeks not Months guys.

Did I miss anything?
    I don't think so.
    Frankly I've been trying to point out it is only delayed for a few days now but just get ignored when I do.