Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Valhyre: Interview with Donald Teal

To go with its addition to our game list, we also have an interview with Duck's Den Productions CEO and President Donald Teal. The interview, conducted by Jon Wood, helps introduce the title.

image MMORPG.com: Valhyre is being promoted as a game that intends to reach out to the role-player market. How do you intend to accomplish this?

Donald Teal: To me role playing is assuming a part in a story and acting out that part. That role could be from the heroic warrior to the meek blacksmith making his living at his trade. Valhyre will support role playing by allowing players to determine their role and have fun no matter what their part in the story is. We strive to give the players the tools to create their own story. Want to be that blacksmith? Well then learn the skills, put your creations up for sale, develop your customer base, and hire those warriors to bring you the best resources for those rare items. Tradesmen tend to pick up lots of juicy gossip and information they can then tell to the adventurers. You will even be able to develop regular customers just on the gossip you offer. 

You can read the article here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• Jd1680aJd1680a Member Posts: 398

Wow this looks like a really cool game.  it also have lizard creatures that flies, that would attract a few people who like playing dragons and lizardmen in online games.

i gave this game an 8.0 in the hype rating, might go higher once time goes on and develop will continue.  lets stick this game on its on forum list, this game will be interesting to watch.

Have played: CoH, DDO EQ2, FFXI, L2, HZ, SoR, and WW2 online

• tigris67tigris67 Member UncommonPosts: 1,762

Never ever heard of this game's development before but it Sounds awsome to be honest. I have a new game to wait for hehe.

Hi! My name is paper. Nerf scissors, rock is fine.
    MMORPG = Mostly Men Online Roleplaying Girls
    http://www.MichaelLuckhardt.com

• MyskMysk Member Posts: 982

Looks good, and I find it interesting that they bought Wish's assets.

It seems very promising, and I like how it looks at the moment.

• razordracrazordrac Member Posts: 1

Roleplaying, and dragons...
    Depending on how crafting works...

This might be The game for me.
    It will be very interesting indeed, this game.
    I am going to follow it, and god knows I will
    try it out once it hits the shelves.

The first and only Zerax.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

It does sound kinda interesting,however nothing was said about crafting.

I wish they hadda checked out HORIZONS before making dragon a playable race.The game will turn into a one lore one race game ,99% dragons.That will be what attracts players to this game,just as in horizons.there idea of wich race to befriend and who gets flagged to PvP will be thrown out the window,because there all gonna be dragons.

They say you can attack your own,but this won't happen.If you join this game you better be a dragon or your gonna be a target and severly outnumbered.

I really like the morphing idea as the player ages,big time kudos for this .However this is all i got outa the questionnaire,other than that i think this game will be the same ol same ol.,with a touch of PvP to widen sales.You watch,the whole game will be ruined just because they added dragons as a playable race.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AranStormahAranStormah Member Posts: 278

Wizardry, before you go in for a kill like that please do yourself and us a favour and read up a bit about the game beyond the article :P There's several "power races"; the vampyres and their good counterparts among them which require the player to start as a human before transforming into one. Allthough these two latter have permadeath.

The system kind of reminds me of the old jedi idea of swg. Lets just hope it doesn't get newbiefied in the same way. Maybe it's an unfair comparison seeing how Sony screwed people by not implementing jedis for half a year or so, but that's besides the point cause once they opened the gates they just kept toning it down.

The Valhyre devs keep talking about how the "dragons" will have shortcomings as a tradeoff for their benifits also, but I've not been able to gather just what those are. In addition I'm of the understanding that you have to choose a class with your race, so you can't just go dragon and expect to be a great allrounder. You have to specialize, leaving room for balance I'd assume.

I'm more worried about the statement that a new player has quite a good chance at beating a veteran player. I'm not sure how they intend this to work because the same could be said for Eve, but in Eve it's unlikely to happen because new players lack the versatility and resources to compete with veterans. So maybe this would just be if the newbie has picked the right fight to have some sort of advantages on his side.

• DDPIDDPI Valhyre RepresentaiveMember Posts: 16

Some very good questions here.   I just wanted to take a few moments to comment and perhaps answer a few of them.

First off, in regards to the "dragonlike" race,  they are the bastlurs.  Their playstyle will be different than a "dragon experience" that some people maybe looking for.  So I dont want anyone to be disappointed if they play a bastlur and it isn't like the Dragons of lore.  They do have some serious drawbacks in their play style,   for one their society is established along the lines of castes that are determined by color.  the three playable castes are the reds, who are the physical warriors, the blues, who are the mystics, and the browns , who are the laborers/constructors.    Of all the races the bastlurs are the most limited in their available skills.    This may sound as a harsh way to do it, but each race's advancement conforms to the lore of that race if a player wants unlimited skill set to play with then the humans would be a better choice for them.

We have not mentioned anything about our craft system yet because we do not like to give details until it is final and our craft system is still being implemented.  When we are closer to completing the craft system we will release more information.

The same with other systems in game.  Once we have a system complete and working like we want it in our test environment we will release its details. 

I know I haven't answered all the concerns expressed here  but there is some information I am not prepared to release to the public just yet,

Thank you for your interest in Valhyre and I encourage everyone to post more of their questions either in this thread or over on the offical forums at www.valhyre.com