Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass PvP and Active Clan/Guild Scenes

ZereichZereich Member UncommonPosts: 5

So I've been playing Runescape for nearly the past 10 years now (along with a bit of Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 2) but it's changed a lot since then and the clan scene is a lot more inactive than it used to be, not to mention I can't stand the combat mechanics anymore. But the one aspect of the game that I personally think is really unique and hard to find in other games is how immersive the clan scene was. Really heated rivalries between clans, active forums dedicated solely to clan discussion, and the occasional drama/beef between clans. There would also be pretty concrete rankings of clans based on the results of fights/wars and I always thought that was a lot of fun. It would basically be a never-ending cycle to see who could establish dominance over the "Wilderness" (Runescape's pvp zone) and hold the top ranks. 

It was immersive to the point where people would play the game SOLELY to fight other clans and bicker over forums/IRC. I've tried looking for other games with similar clan/guild scenes but the ones I found were pretty dead (Ultima Online and Darkfall). Does anyone know any other titles that has mass pvp style combat with some good old fashioned clusterfucks and really heavy competition between guilds or clans within the game? Thanks! :) 

Comments

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    You might want to check out Black Desert online, open world pvp, guild vs guild, guild seiges, node wars.  There are a few English speaking players streaming via twitch.  Go hit it up and see if this is the game you are looking for.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    edited January 2016
    People always think I'm nuts when I keep on reiterating how important roleplaying was in MMORPGs, mainly because the people who play today--plus the games themselves--aren't much into roleplay anymore.

But it seems that the whole clan versus clan rivalries can only exist in a game environment that fosters roleplay.  We may say to ourselves, "heck, my guild doesn't want to roleplay.  We just want to pwn all."  But pwn all in relation to who and to what?  The essence of powergaming is to game better the folks who aren't as focused on pwning for the sake of pwning, but who pwn for the sake of some abstract, lore-centric cause.  Guilds can be mad-efficient if they care not to bother with continuity.  In fact, part of the fun of it is to get on top of the boards as "Im2sexy" in a world which, lore wise, cannot even grasp what "Im2sexy" even means.

The greatest drama I always saw in games in the middle to late 2000s were always around the powergaming clans upping the ante over the establishment players.  And that was because the establishment players wanted some fidelity to the lore, while the powergamers really only cared about PvP.  You'd have these powergaming guilds on both sides, however, in factional conflict.  Soon, there were nothing left but powergaming guilds.  And soon after that, no reason to even powergame at all.

Frankly, is there any real difference these days between a guild or clan, and a PS Network or XBox Live or Steam friend list?  Most of the new multiplayer combat games don't even have a clan option, and for good reason.  They just aren't necessary to organize players anymore and, in a lot of cases, cause more problems with retention and organization than they solve.

Perhaps in games like Planetside 2 or EVE, big clan versus clan rivalries are still applicable.  But Planetside 2 has no real world per-se, and EVE has pretty much developed itself into a stagnation of mutually assured destruction between rivals.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    I'd recommend BDO as well, not just because of the positive features it has (combat, graphics, open world pvp, sieging, etc.), but because it has proven to have competitive guild v guild war systems in Korea. Which appears is the biggest thing you're looking for atm.

Funny enough I just got done with another 10 months of hardcore pvp in ESO and I'm playing Runescape atm. Yet, I agree it's a shadow of it's former self.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • ZereichZereich Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Thanks for all the replies guys! @Xodic Yeah, i think Albion is the one i'm gonna go for for now. Just checked out their forums and it seems like they have a pretty have guild scene. I will check out BDO as well, thanks for that. @Beatnik59 Haha, that's a good point. It's a shame that has died out throughout the years. It really is a lot of fun! Maybe people just don't have as much time nowadays? I have no idea lol. @Alomar What RS clan are you in? Also, ESO seems pretty active so i might check that out but in your opinion, how's the clan/guild scene in ESO compared to RS? 
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Zereich said:
    Thanks for all the replies guys! @Xodic Yeah, i think Albion is the one i'm gonna go for for now. Just checked out their forums and it seems like they have a pretty have guild scene. I will check out BDO as well, thanks for that. @Beatnik59 Haha, that's a good point. It's a shame that has died out throughout the years. It really is a lot of fun! Maybe people just don't have as much time nowadays? I have no idea lol. @Alomar What RS clan are you in? Also, ESO seems pretty active so i might check that out but in your opinion, how's the clan/guild scene in ESO compared to RS? 
    When I played RS actively was before clans existed, so when I return to the game (about a month every two years) it is just to chill and reminisce. I require better combat systems when I do hardcore pvp.

ESO is not the place to go atm if you're a hardcore pvp'er looking for competitive pvp, yet alone some type of guild v guild pvp. At launch you'd of loved it, yet it's been nothing but down hill since and the pvp community is pretty insignificant anymore. I can literally list the hardcore pvp guilds on NA per faction left in the game on one hand for the EP, and on two hands for the other two factions. You're much better off trying Albion Online and BDO since they'll have active and thriving communities at launch, plus many of the guilds that used to play ESO are there also lol.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Zereich said:

So I've been playing Runescape for nearly the past 10 years now (along with a bit of Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 2) but it's changed a lot since then and the clan scene is a lot more inactive than it used to be, not to mention I can't stand the combat mechanics anymore. But the one aspect of the game that I personally think is really unique and hard to find in other games is how immersive the clan scene was. Really heated rivalries between clans, active forums dedicated solely to clan discussion, and the occasional drama/beef between clans. There would also be pretty concrete rankings of clans based on the results of fights/wars and I always thought that was a lot of fun. It would basically be a never-ending cycle to see who could establish dominance over the "Wilderness" (Runescape's pvp zone) and hold the top ranks. 

It was immersive to the point where people would play the game SOLELY to fight other clans and bicker over forums/IRC. I've tried looking for other games with similar clan/guild scenes but the ones I found were pretty dead (Ultima Online and Darkfall). Does anyone know any other titles that has mass pvp style combat with some good old fashioned clusterfucks and really heavy competition between guilds or clans within the game? Thanks! :) 

Wushu OP. It doesn't get anymore heated than that.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I don't think Alomar's evaluation of ESO's pvp is accurate.  None of the good pvp guilds will take you unless you reach max level.  It will take you a while to get into the game but once you are in it is quite rewarding.  There is zerg guilds and good guilds.  You will have to test to see what is where and which one to join once you get rolling.  And yes their forums are lots of guilds poking and jaunting each other over battles.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    It's not out yet, but Crowfall sounds like what you are looking for. Guild vs Guild will be big in the Shadows and Dregs.
    @bcbully Age of Wushu? @filmoret Thanks, I'll have to check that out soon 
  • growillgrowill Member UncommonPosts: 28
    I feel you my friend.
    After playing gw2 for quite a while (doing only roaming because everything else kinda sucked) i turned to ESO with hope.
    Turns out there's a massive powergap, after grinding levels for many hours you'll have to grind other levels for many hours and then you'll have to grind CPs and then you'll have to grind gear.
    Basically unless you're a hardcore player that can play 4/5 hrs a day easy you'll get bored out of your mind waaaay before you can get to endgame pvp.

And everyone that looks up to the good times of UO and such knows that pvp doesn't start anytime sooner than when you char is maxed out. Sure you can have fun fights here and there but that's not it.

I'm trying B&S atm but sincerely... it sucks. I love it at the beginning. But the whole design is not good for open pvp and arena matches, while extremely skill-based, are real stupid.

I really wish you'll find something to enjoy but I for myself am very skeptical. It's kind of a sad moment for good mass pvp mmorpgs. I think i'll come back at the end of the year and see if CU or BDO are doing.

But maybe you're a more hardcore player than me and you'll find something.
    GL
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    I keep an eye on a guild that I first came across in SWG: Keepers of the Dark Side

http://www.kdsguild.org/

These guys are dedicated to open world pvp and are extremely good at it. They were one of the biggest/best imperial guilds in SWG (Euro-chimaera). I was also on the same server as these guys in WAR. They rolled Destruction first and won everything to the point they got bored, so most of the guild rerolled on Order and within a month, they were dominating the server again from the other side!

Anyways, KDS are currently playing Albion Online which means there must be a decent open world pvp scene in there. The videos they've posted on their site make it seem alright, not my sort of game, but as you like Diablo its probably more up your street. 
    @growill Yeah, i kinda gave up looking for a new game for mass pvp lol, there just doesn't seem to be any good ones atm. Just playing GW2 right now, will hop on any new games that i think as potential