Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Actual newbie question - Torpedoes and weapons

sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129
Hi all , guess I am late to the STO party (played EVE many years but a Trek fan in general so I giving this a try)

What is up with the starting Photon torpedo cooldowns and how do they work ? (or where can I get more info)  seems like the enemies I fight all pound me with torpedoes nearly non-stop, but I am lucky if the button is not greyed out 1 in every 3-5 fights.  what am I missing ?  are there any good guides out there beyond the basic basics, but not the end game builds that explain this stuff ?

thanks

Trek noob

Comments

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Could be the torpedo launcher you have fitted as they don't all have the same cooldown.  Torp info on the wiki gives u some idea  http://sto.gamepedia.com/Torpedo_Launcher

Also possible it's one of the numerous bugs/imbalances that now effect the game.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited November 2015
    they are direction  also .. you need to have the correct facing, front rear broad or portsides
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Yep, most likely the targeting arch, since buttons are greyed out when you can't shoot them - either not in range, or not within the arch. When you're in the right position the button is not grey even during cooldown, just has the countdown showing on top.

If I remember correctly, torpedoes have only a short (5-8sec?) cooldown, but has a quite narrow arch, basically you need to have the target in front of the ship - if you play with zoom far out it's easy to miss pitching the ship for targets above or beyond.
    (and torpedoes are for the finishing blow anyways, they're not very useful until the target's shields are up. Wipe the shield on a side, then throw some direct torpedo hits to the hull :wink: )
  • MMOreaverMMOreaver Member UncommonPosts: 75
    edited January 2016
    forget torpedos!.. even forget humans.. play Klingons or Romulans - they are much more fun
    anyone knowing how to move a good ship uses Dual Heavy the full bank ;D
    Attack Pattern Alpha + x +x +x  = BigBang
    things just plopp before you.. esp. in Klingon cruiser or other stuff with 5 front slots
    for the backward slots 360°turrets
    OR depending on mission/playstyle mine-thrower (DispersalPattern Beta rocks^^)