Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review in Progress

Comments

• KrightonKrighton Member UncommonPosts: 111
    I'm really really struggling to understand why anyone is bring up BDO. The closed beta or alpha...or whatever they did. I was in it. Its fucking awful. It's a horrible game. Animations are 2005, combat is 2005 and has absolutely NO soul or character.

How have you, as "gamers" lowered your standards so far below adequate that you think BDO is even an option in the game space, let alone in the MMO space.

It's sad to see people duped into thinking shit, isn't shit, when in fact the odor is so overpowering, they continue to ignore it and keep breathing it.
  • ReesRacerReesRacer Member UncommonPosts: 179
    edited January 2016
    I'm not a young man anymore. I didn't think such important combo-based and complex combat (for some classes) would suit me at all. But I purchased the middle Head Start Pack and haven't stopped playing. Something about the game appeals to me...kind of like the movie Big Trouble in Little China. A bit of a mess and shallow in places, but the wacky eastern flair story and art design combine well with the incomparable (for an MMO) combat to have sucked me in for more than 80 hours already.

Granted, I have to use a Logitech G13 and G600 to make the combos work for me well enough, but work they do indeed, and it's very gratifying. Character customisation is also quite good, and I like collecting all the costumes. I don't disagree with Bill, but this sort of game seems to appeal more to me (and many others) than it has for quite a few journalists.

My main MMO's are SWTOR and ESO, so it's not as if I enjoy only one type of MMO. I've also invested many hours in TERA, STO, and even Fallen Earth over the years.

I might never be competitive with the best Arena players in the this game (or even the mediocre ones). I even regularly get my ass handed to me when I don the faction uniform and engage in a little open-world PvP (not usually my thing)...but it's rather good, actually. B&S is fun, visceral, a little different, and I will likely stick around for more than "2-6 weeks".
  • alexathinalexathin Member CommonPosts: 1
    Hello to everyone guys. This is Alexander from Greece. I dont know about you but i am an old mmo gamer (age 43) and i am playing all these things since lineage time.
    1st i would like to say that every mmo is good when you play it with friends. That is final.
    2nd and because i am not young anymore i would like to play an mmo that it is indeed "swallow" ...not too hardcore, just to spend a few hours relaxing and have fun. BnS seems "swallow" enough to keep you playing without neglecting your home, your family, your real life. Sure there are tougher things that you can do at 45 and beyond but this is another story.
    Till now i like the combat very much...i think more than TERA. Flying around plus the music when you are on air feels very nice...the world is large and feels open (those small portals are not a big issue).
    Crafting is fun because i was never a craft fan, most of us were not. We were all looking for action.
    And to add something to the action..BnS is open world PvP...if we were all deciding to wear the pvp costumes...hmmm then the real fun would begin :).
    But there are some cons also...NCsoft is trying to make money....you need to grind a lot to upgrade things or you can just pay with real money to progress faster.
    Time will show how steady BnS playerbase is...
  • CryolitycalCryolitycal Member UncommonPosts: 205
    I'd like it if not for the sealing/locked boxes system, which is HORRIBLE.
  • IwayloIwaylo Member UncommonPosts: 174
    If one is not planning to PvP then BnS is not the game for the one. BnS offers really interesting innovative balanced 1v1 expirience, everything elseis nothing special. BnS will have it's player base and imagine it will keep these type of players that want to PvP happy.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    To be honest, a review-in-progress isn't even needed.  Any MMO veteran, that's played this genre for over a decade, doesn't need to wait until max level to determine what this game will be like.  If you've played one themepark, you've played them all.
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515

MihoshiK said:

WTG to address the posters valid points regarding amateur journalism.

(Also known as - me realizing that opinions are like assholes, and it's all OK if we don't like the smell or sight of one another's... opinions.)

I have a ZERO-fucks given t-shirt- if you want one i can send it to you..lol

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited January 2016
    this game has a storyline, if you want it. this game has the "normal" areas you want (open world and instances for grps and solo), and the combat is better than usual.

so, this game is NOT the normal mmo that came out in the last 5 years, it fixes the problem the "normal" mmos (aka WoW clones) had in the last years, a dull combatsystem that was used for over 15 years now. and is WAY out of it's time. and just for the record, the combos definately differ this combat system from tera ^^ all those "meh this game sucks" guys, claiming the same shit for every mmo that came out for like 10 years now...... maybe accept the fact that you don't like mmos sooner or later. and try to find the kind of game you DO like instead.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    It's been fun so far and that's really all I want from an MMO anymore. Is it shallow? Crafting and exploring definitely is. But the cross-server group finder and fun action combat (and I hate action combat in MMOs, but they did it right) are good enough...especially in the days of the dying MMO genre....I guess Im saying it's really all I expect anymore...and my expectations are low.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    edited January 2016
    I don't see a score. I don't see it on our reviews page. Why? Because, as others have stated, it's a Review In Progress. Like the title says.

But it's OK. I used to get mad when people found faults in things I enjoyed too. Then I realized people are allowed to disagree and have varying opinions. Then I hopped on my Unicorn and rode to the area of the Internet where people have reading comprehension.

EDIT: I also don't see anywhere where I said the game was bad. Shallow? Sure. But that doesn't mean bad. Tetris is "shallow" in features too, but it sure as hell wasn't bad. 

B&S it's as shallow as tetris but that's not a bad thing. Not exactly the selling point I would lead with for a MMORPG.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Man I tell you what though.  I have gotten very interested in the story once I reached lvl 22 or so.  It is when you get back to the starting village for a quest.  Don't want to spoil it but start paying attention to the gold quests and you are in for a good story.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I found it to be a combination of other MMO's. Something like, if Tera and Aion had a baby. Just another MMO with the cash grab system that's not innovative at all.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    I'm seeing a lot of rage at Bill for his review so far to level 25 and how it's not in depth enough blah blah blah. Am I the only one here who looked at the title of the article?

Review in progress....

That's kind of like , The story so far. It doesn't claim to be a complete review of the full game. This forum has so much negativity on it. It's a game, chill out dudes.

Personally I'm enjoying it so far. Got a blade dancer to 39 and a summoner to 27, tried a few other classes. Haven't looked at crafting yet, done no PvP yet. None of that has stopped me enjoying the excellent combat and doing my Crouching Tiger impersonations running across lakes, jumping over houses and flying through the trees. Awesome sauce!

The game is fun. I've had no problems with optimisation either and I hardly have a monster PC. FX 8350, r9 270x, 16 Gb Ram. Runs fine at a steady 55-60 FPS at 1920 x 1080.

Take it for what it is, a fun, combat oriented game that doesn't take itself seriously. I don't think they're trying to win MMO of the year, they just made a fun game you can jump on and have a hack and slash with. It that regard it excels at what it does.
    My main beef with the review is not that he played a character to 25 and reviewed based on that, it's that he's leveled multiple characters to 25 and based it on that experience.

Leveling is generally a pretty painful process in all MMOs, but it's pretty much the gold standard for making you waste time and also easing you into your class.

By rolling multiple characters (and I think he mentioned he played betas too), he seems to have burned himself out on the early content, which is understandable but it's not really fair.

As for me, on a scale of Archeage leveling (ghastly) to some MMO which had amazing leveling that I've never actually played or heard about, I think the game is more towards the latter.  

The combat and the fact that you're always getting new stuff really makes it not so bad imo.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    edited January 2016
    Thane said:
    this game has a storyline, if you want it. this game has the "normal" areas you want (open world and instances for grps and solo), and the combat is better than usual.

so, this game is NOT the normal mmo that came out in the last 5 years, it fixes the problem the "normal" mmos (aka WoW clones) had in the last years, a dull combatsystem that was used for over 15 years now. and is WAY out of it's time. and just for the record, the combos definately differ this combat system from tera ^^ all those "meh this game sucks" guys, claiming the same shit for every mmo that came out for like 10 years now...... maybe accept the fact that you don't like mmos sooner or later. and try to find the kind of game you DO like instead.
    Well an extremely linear themepark with limited things to do and a very poor "open world" is definitely going to get some negative comments on this site.  If you love those things about MMO's then you should give the game a try.  But don't pretend that someone whom likes virtual worlds or sandbox MMO's with risk vs reward doesn't like any MMO because they don't like this game.

Edit:  I much prefer the Darkfall and B&S combat systems (and even GW2) to the classic tab target stuff.  I tried SWTOR again after years and hated the fact that I was just glued there and had to take hits whether I liked it or not.  So we agree that the combat system is a big step in the right direction. 
    Post edited by Mardukk on
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Thorkune said:
    I found it to be a combination of other MMO's. Something like, if Tera and Aion had a baby. Just another MMO with the cash grab system that's not innovative at all.

LOL you said cash grab.  What exactly are you being compelled to buy?  Only thing I want is the sunglasses and a cowboy hat.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    Mardukk said:
    Thane said:

Well an extremely linear themepark with limited things to do and a very poor "open world" is definitely going to get some negative comments on this site.  If you love those things about MMO's then you should give the game a try.  But don't pretend that someone whom likes virtual worlds or sandbox MMO's with risk vs reward doesn't like any MMO because they don't like this game.
    I too really want as much sandbox features in a well-done MMO as possible.  I'm really looking forward to BDO partly for this reason.

In the meantime, I just plain like playing MMOs if they're done right.  This one is done right.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    filmoret said:
    Man I tell you what though.  I have gotten very interested in the story once I reached lvl 22 or so.  It is when you get back to the starting village for a quest.  Don't want to spoil it but start paying attention to the gold quests and you are in for a good story.
    I have to agree. I'm actually surprised at how engaging the story is becoming. Some definate surprises, stuff I wasn't expecting and even a few "NO WAY!" moments.
  • Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    How many more of these action RPGs are they going to make before they stop and realize the market is over saturated? We've literally hit critical mass on this game type. There's zero room for more! Stop making them! x x;

It's like finding out everyone likes apple pies, so companies make tons of apple pies, then when people start complaining they only get apple pie, they make apple pie flavored oatmeal, followed by apple pie flavored bread, followed by apple pie flavored soft drinks. We don't care that it is using some special unique sub system or something else. It still tastes like APPLE PIE!
    Colt47 said:
    How many more of these action RPGs are they going to make before they stop and realize the market is over saturated? We've literally hit critical mass on this game type. There's zero room for more! Stop making them! x x;

It's like finding out everyone likes apple pies, so companies make tons of apple pies, then when people start complaining they only get apple pie, they make apple pie flavored oatmeal, followed by apple pie flavored bread, followed by apple pie flavored soft drinks. We don't care that it is using some special unique sub system or something else. It still tastes like APPLE PIE!
    Nah.  Action combat is the future.  Get on board or get out!

If you don't like action in your video games, then there's always WoW for you.
  • Sassy_Gay_UnicornSassy_Gay_Unicorn Member UncommonPosts: 316
    At my age one does not waste twenty minutes waiting to play a game.

Thank you for the review, Bill. Does not sound like my type of game.
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    edited January 2016
    Colt47 said:

What alternative are you suggesting?  Tab target?  Sorry to rain on your parade but those days are gone my friend.  The market is over saturated and increasing in number with action RPGs because they are popular and preferred.  They are the wave of the future in MMOs/MMORPGs.  They are here to stay.  Adapt or perish. 
    Also, many of us old school farts rather loathe the whole Twitch/Stream thing and have a fondness for print journalism. Enough to keep a site like this afloat? No idea.

Daar said:

I have a feeling BDO will be more or less the same as B&S

You mean in retention or gameplay? Because they're wildly different games in the latter case.

I certainly hope so. Just bought a new rig and this morning purchased the Frankin sized pre-order. Yet if I am wrong so be it. It's fun to be excited about a game for a change.
  • tet666tet666 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    edited January 2016
    mmrv said:
    observer said:
    BillMurphy said:

I look at games like ESO, FFXIV, GW2, and the forthcoming BDO, and I see games that offer a lot more to do than kill and quest until you level cap, then quit. It's too soon to tell how people will stay with BDO, but the former 3 have a lot of staying power, just as games before their generation did.

This says it all really. I actually read the article, and i agree with most of it. I finally tried B&S the other day, and only lasted an hour, before i logged out. The game is just 'meh'. It's even worse than Tera, if that were possible. The two are very similar. Hoping Black Desert is somewhat better.

Say what? I played all 3 to and beyond max level. this is what I did. in all 3....get ready for it...... wait.... wait.....wait...... I killed stuff, I quested and I KILLED STUFF, and I QUESTED, then occasionally i felt like I was FORCED to pretend to partake in mind numbing tedious "crafting" tasks that amounted to nothing because you really have to devote a lifetime to these tedious tasks for them to manifest any real benifit and I would rather just play the game than sit in town pressing the same couple buttons over and over.

Once i reached level cap wait for it.... wait for it.....wait.... I went out to "end game dungeons" and killed the same stuff over and over in the same handful of dungeons.....that is it the biggening and the end, the entire way handheld and shackled by having to progress through the prescripted "zones" in order getting the prescripted trivial item upgrades "hey dude grats you got a new sword it does .001% more dmg than your last one, and 5 quests from now you will get another!"

Gw2 was slightly different but not much I had some more choices in the order of areas i goto level up in, and there really is no end game dungeons or even items to collect, it is more so a spattering to "mini gaaes" which all got old fast thanks to bland combat mechanics and non existence character development. Oh hey fun stuff i have spent 4 hours doing the world boss rotation for the 30th time and now i have all of the trash loot they drop broken down to have 11% of the crafting material needed to make a legendary which actually is only a visual effect and is no better than my ascended gear.....next i will run my way through the fractals oh dam these seem cool....wait they are all the same 12 tiles sets just randomly put together....this is boring too and still has no rewards either....
    So GW2 gets the node not for being better but for simply having alot more choices of end game content but loses all the points because participating in said end game content is meaningless since it offers zero rewards.
    This hell i still remember the stupid time wasting that crafting in FF XIV is, all those tedious mini games you have to play for hours to get the best out of it and then you were essentially creating stuff to make more money to get better crafting gear to make more stuff to make more money... with the end 'goal' of creating something nobody would bother to use, because they can get a drop from a dungeon that's better anyway i mean why even bother?
  • MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    Lets make a shitty game, cause the majority of players wont care anyways? Great one..... :)