Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Doom 4 putting Overwatch to shame.

Comments

• carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Destiny, Overwatch, Doom, UT, etc., etc., they are basically all the same, "First Person Shooters". Same gameplay concept. Only difference are the graphics.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    carotid said:
    Destiny, Overwatch, Doom, UT, etc., etc., they are basically all the same, "First Person Shooters". Same gameplay concept. Only difference are the graphics.
    World of Tanks needs to have a word with League of Legends, the copycats!
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Well if comparing the "graphics" between the two games, which is what the OP is doing, then sure Doom 4 looks better.  ID Software has pretty much always had leading edge "graphics" (which is usually an amalgamation of textures, lighting, animation, and art style on these forums) for their games.  Heck, the AI for Rage was above average for a typical shooter which looks like they are bringing over to Doom 4 based on the linked footage.  That being said, ID typically makes singleplayer games with an added multiplayer component usually in the form of deathmatch and CTF with very little, to none, in character progression during those multiplayer matches. 

Blizzard also is no slouch when it comes to good looking games, but they are usually made from the ground up with multiplayer in mind.  Thus the reason for low poly models, simpler textures, and simpler lighting.  You get better overall performance when they are used versus normal mapping,  and high poly models.  This is crucial for multiplayer. You don't want lag due to your rig taking a long time to load in-game assets.  That's the other thing about Blizzard's games.  You typically don't need a powerful computer to run their games so they will ultimately probably sell more copies.  So the sales of Overwatch, or the more realistic thing to say nowadays is the amount of revenue the game generates, alone might put Doom 4 to shame.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    carotid said:

LOL just like every single MMO and RPG is pretty much the exact same game, right?
    heerobya said:
    carotid said:

LOL just like every single MMO and RPG is pretty much the exact same game, right?
    Exactly. You get it!
    Phry said:
    carotid said:
    World of Tanks needs to have a word with League of Legends, the copycats!
    What does that have anything to do with the price of tea in China?
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Do you like... really hate Overwatch or something that you needed to smack on it in comparison to a game that isn't even remotely in the same genre?  I can't possibly see how or why it'd be relevant to Doom 4 at all, otherwise.
    I was thinking the very same thing.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Fdzzaigl said:
    What a pointless comparison.
    EXACTLY what I was thinking when I read the OP title.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

I think SimGolf is better

sorry i couldnt resist random comparisions

Baitness said:
    While I agree that Doom 4 visually blows Overwatch out of the water, OW isn't trying to compete with Doom 4.  They are trying to make an FPS game that is an esport.  They are trying to compete with Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.

I am sure they realized that CSGO is unique among FPS games in having a strong esports component, but I really think they did not understand why.  Competing with CSGO is just about impossible for other FPS games right now.  It isn't because CSGO offers a more tactical experience, more challenging gunplay, or that it better rewards skill (though CSGO does do all these things).  The reason CSGO is such a hugely watched esports game is gambling.

CSGO has an enormous gambling scene.  Weapon skins that drop in the game can sell for hundreds of dollars in steam funds (though most just cost a few cents).  These steam funds can be used to purchase any game on steam (or other weapon skins).  Right now there are tons of sites that allow players to bet these dropped skins on professional matches.  It is not directly gambling money as the money never leaves steam.  There is nothing in place to stop children from gambling, and it seems the allure of gambling combined with their love of gaming makes for an incredibly addictive combination.  I forget the last time it happened, but when a match is not on the major gambling sites the viewership is very oddly low.

When there are major tournaments (tournaments sponsored by valve) then just watching has a chance to get you a dropped skin.  You can watch in the CSGO client or on twitch (they link to steam).  These dropped skins have the potential to be some of the most expensive, as they are labelled as 'souvenir' items and given a special logo with the signature of a professional player.  These items are incredibly rare, and sell for quite a bit.  When they are on good weapons, have a rare skin, and have the signature of a favorite player, they are worth absolutely insane amounts (a factory new souvenir dragonlore awp from before player signatures sold for $10,000).

Overwatch has no way to compete with CSGO until it offers a way for children to gamble.  I don't see any way for it to happen right now (nor do I think it should, I think it is a huge problem), so Overwatch won't be competing with CSGO anytime soon.
    CSGO is the best. Not that I gambled in it, but I still have around 3k hours in the game. Yet to obtain anything worth more than 5 bucks :D.

One rank to go to GE :).

Regarding the OP, why would you compare Doom 4 with Overwatch?

I remember when Doom 3 was supposed to compete with Half Life 2 due to its graphics. When the games were released, nobody talked about Doom 3. Half completely crushed it.
    actually Wurm Online is better than all of them...

HA!

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I dont understand the comparison.  Overwatch is meant to be played online with 20 people while Doom-4's main focus is on single player with some added co-op and pvp.  I would think a game designed primarily for online, 20 players would try and use a low poly count for the graphics to increase game speed and make it fun for people of all computer speeds.  Its the same reason TF2 did it, low poly gives better performance for a multiplayer deathmatch game. 

If I was making Overwatch, I would have went low poly count as well. 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• ThexReporterThexReporter Member UncommonPosts: 124
    You all took the bait and you should feel bad for yourselves.
  • AevenathAevenath Member UncommonPosts: 116
    I actually played Doom 4 MP beta at Quakecon. Even though it was only one map...it's still pretty fun. Fast paced like arena shooters should be. The only thing I don't like is people becoming the 'monster.' I feel like
    things like that should be left out of arena type shooters.
  • unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    Strait 5/7

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    I still think it's funny that every thread on this site has to have 3 or 4 ppl that HAVE to type 4 - 7 paragraphs about everything they think.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    How is this a comparison, it's a pre-rendered demo reel, it's single player and it's a different art style.
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

I remember when Doom 3 was supposed to compete with Half Life 2 due to its graphics. When the games were released, nobody talked about Doom 3. Half completely crushed it.

Actually Doom 3 was a critical and commercial success. Not sure why you would compare HL2 to Doom 3. No one said those two games were competing with each other? What a weird thing to invent.

TBH the only thing Valve did better over id when the first Half Life released was integrating story into game play.

There's a reason vanilla/unmoded Half Life 1 and 2 bombed when it came to multiplayer, the gun play mechanics weren't all that good. Modders improved it drastically.

id Software just make good shooters out of the box that don't need a story to carry it.

• ImpmonImpmon Member UncommonPosts: 81
    I remember hearing much the same about Doom 3 when it was being developed.  Buy the game & everything is dark.  I don't mean atmosphere I mean graphics.  You can't adjust gamma.  No flashlight on weapon we had to wait for a player mod to add that.  Months later the developers would acknowledge....  Yes it was our crappy new graphic system the one we babbled about being so great in beta if the gamma was too high everything looked plastic so they kept gamma way down.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    I am honestly confused by the logic of this thread. Doom 4 and Overwatch have nothing in common other than that they are first person shooters.

If anything I am much more excited about Overwatch as it looks like somthing I will play quite a bit and will have tons of replayability. 

It's like saying that Mario Kart is a shitty game because it doesn't look as good as Call of Duty/Battlefiend.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Not interested in Doom or Overwatch. 

Its all about Lawbreakers for me.
    View on YouTube
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Baitness said:
    While I agree that Doom 4 visually blows Overwatch out of the water, OW isn't trying to compete with Doom 4.  They are trying to make an FPS game that is an esport.  They are trying to compete with Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.

I am sure they realized that CSGO is unique among FPS games in having a strong esports component, but I really think they did not understand why.  Competing with CSGO is just about impossible for other FPS games right now.  It isn't because CSGO offers a more tactical experience, more challenging gunplay, or that it better rewards skill (though CSGO does do all these things).  The reason CSGO is such a hugely watched esports game is gambling.

CSGO has an enormous gambling scene.  Weapon skins that drop in the game can sell for hundreds of dollars in steam funds (though most just cost a few cents).  These steam funds can be used to purchase any game on steam (or other weapon skins).  Right now there are tons of sites that allow players to bet these dropped skins on professional matches.  It is not directly gambling money as the money never leaves steam.  There is nothing in place to stop children from gambling, and it seems the allure of gambling combined with their love of gaming makes for an incredibly addictive combination.  I forget the last time it happened, but when a match is not on the major gambling sites the viewership is very oddly low.

When there are major tournaments (tournaments sponsored by valve) then just watching has a chance to get you a dropped skin.  You can watch in the CSGO client or on twitch (they link to steam).  These dropped skins have the potential to be some of the most expensive, as they are labelled as 'souvenir' items and given a special logo with the signature of a professional player.  These items are incredibly rare, and sell for quite a bit.  When they are on good weapons, have a rare skin, and have the signature of a favorite player, they are worth absolutely insane amounts (a factory new souvenir dragonlore awp from before player signatures sold for $10,000).

Overwatch has no way to compete with CSGO until it offers a way for children to gamble.  I don't see any way for it to happen right now (nor do I think it should, I think it is a huge problem), so Overwatch won't be competing with CSGO anytime soon.
    I am confused why Counter Strike is such a played game on PC. You would think that Call of Duty is the same shit over and over again every yeah but COunster Strike takes the cake. That game hasn't evolved much over the years. What's even more baffling is that CS 1.6 is the most played one and that thing is ancient. It's super unrealistic physic and handling of weapons too.

If anything Overwatch is competing with Team Fortress 2 because it definitely gives me the TF2 vibe from the gameplay.

Besides Overwatch has the potential to be huge on the xbox one and ps4. Counter strike is dead on consoles, the biggest fps dogs are Call of Duty and Battlefield. Call of Duty literally dominates the market. Surprisingly COD is pretty much dead on PC but that's probably because most people can't run COD on their PCs. CS on the other hand runs on a toaster. COD is the biggest dog in the fps market and Overwatch doesn't need to compete with that as it's made by the same company. 

Overwatch will be the TF2 replacement imo! And it looks way more fun than TF2 which by now is running long in the tooth as there is no sign of TF3.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.