Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top earning games 2015

2»

Comments

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    Wizardry said:
    Whomever posted this has ZERO access to any books,they are just spinning numbers anyway they want.

It shows WOW as 814 million?

Well i just read somewhere they posted that they made 1.2 billion in the Q2 alone.SO unless they lost money the other 3Q something is really off.

your refferring to blizzard and not wow, the exact quote from their earning is 

"Blizzard Entertainment’s Hearthstone®: Heroes of Warcraft™ and Heroes of the Storm™, and Activision Publishing’s Destiny combined now have more than 70 million registered players and over $1.25 billion in non-GAAP revenues1 life-to-date"

But as it states thats blizzard and not WoW - Now im just reporting the information i read, of course im not declaring the third party a true representation as  many have pointed game companies can be quite canny when it comes to reporting individual game profits, just stating what is out there and published by a third party.

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    What the data shows is very clear. Developers are wasting money developing for the consoles. Some of those games cost in the upwards of $60 million, but don't return on investment considering what is taken out to port to a console. PC sales are 3 times higher than Console sales according to the top 10, and in general PC sales are 3 times higher across all games. PC games also tend to be cheaper to develop. Its a mystery to me why most triple A games are not at least ported to the PC or released at the same time as console versions.
    I think some may scoff at mobile game sales, but mobile games are far cheaper to develop and earn high sales. They are also refreshing life into old mmorpgs that are porting over. Fantasy Journey Westward is an old mmorpg. Gung Ho is the biggest mmorpg publisher in Japan. Something like Ultima or Runescape will port over to mobile quite well.
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Cleffy said:
    What the data shows is very clear. Developers are wasting money developing for the consoles. Some of those games cost in the upwards of $60 million, but don't return on investment considering what is taken out to port to a console. PC sales are 3 times higher than Console sales according to the top 10, and in general PC sales are 3 times higher across all games. PC games also tend to be cheaper to develop. Its a mystery to me why most triple A games are not at least ported to the PC or released at the same time as console versions.
    I think some may scoff at mobile game sales, but mobile games are far cheaper to develop and earn high sales. They are also refreshing life into old mmorpgs that are porting over. Fantasy Journey Westward is an old mmorpg. Gung Ho is the biggest mmorpg publisher in Japan. Something like Ultima or Runescape will port over to mobile quite well.
    Just because the most profitable games are in the PC market, it doesn't mean that a developer currently focusing on consoles would make more money if they focused more on the PC market.

Furthermore, just because it is possible to earn more money developing another form of entertainment, it doesn't mean that devs and the head of the company want to do so. Their passion may be in a specific form of entertainment.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited January 2016
    Not disputing these numbers, I think they are pretty interesting. I do wonder how they got them, since publishers are usually pretty tight lipped about sales, and tend to just report corporate-overalls in their financial statements.

A couple of notes:

Console revenue may not account for the gray market. The gray market for mobile is essentially non-existent, and is very small for PC content in general. But it's fairly large for consoles. I can see why this publication wouldn't count it, since gray market revenue doesn't go to the publisher. Gamestop is making $9B off of something, and it isn't all from Skylanders and marked up headphones.

The PC games that are listed, there is a lot of Asian-centric titles there, and some very well-entrenched titles. Not saying that's a bad thing - but a lot of that revenue is coming from a different gaming culture than I'm used to dealing with, and from titles that don't need a "gaming PC" to play - they will play on almost any PC (not exactly the VR crowd is what I"m sayin').

I found the list from 2014 for PC titles - it's almost entirely unchanged. This is very interesting.

I wonder if this includes both digital and physical sales. It just says revenue, I would assume it's both, but ... there are a lot of different methods that have been used in the past to estimate these numbers that don't always take everything into account. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    SEANMCAD said:
    gervaise1 said:
    andre369 said:
    josko9 said:
    Lol all of these numbers are so off. 
    Care to give some sources to debunk them?
    It is difficult - but that cuts both ways; companies rarely produce exact data.

As I said in my post above however - in which I looked at WoW and Destiny I would urge caution.

Nielson used to produce data in the US as well but after both Activision and EA said the "data" was "rubbish" things went quiet on that front.

I think I'd listen to a company over a random internet forum poster. 
    I think statistically speaking that is the better choice
    Except this is superdata we're talking about yet again, masters of the guesstimates.
    There is no data to back up their guesstimates, so proving it one way or the other, not possible, it would be best if people treated Superdata as just another forum poster with an opinion, thats really all they are, and trying to base an argument on their 'data' is not a good idea, entertaining as their 'guesstimates' often are.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Biggest problem for consoles is that the latest generation has had lackluster sales in japan, resulting in 8 of top 10 most sold games being for nintendo 3ds, the other two were on Wii U. On ps4 its mostly jrpg, which has better sales on ps3 or games that caters to the western market like metal gear solid or bloodborne. 

For the rest of asia its games that can be played at internet cafes or on mobile phones. 

The boring thing of the PC list is that its only at the bottom that you find a singleplayer game, the boring thing about the console list is that 9 out of 10 games are sequels.

At least there is a good market for indie games on the PC market, that's where you find innovation and originality.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited January 2016
    Phry said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    gervaise1 said:
    andre369 said:
    josko9 said:

As I said in my post above however - in which I looked at WoW and Destiny I would urge caution.

Nielson used to produce data in the US as well but after both Activision and EA said the "data" was "rubbish" things went quiet on that front.

I think statistically speaking that is the better choice
    Except this is superdata we're talking about yet again, masters of the guesstimates.
    There is no data to back up their guesstimates, so proving it one way or the other, not possible, it would be best if people treated Superdata as just another forum poster with an opinion, thats really all they are, and trying to base an argument on their 'data' is not a good idea, entertaining as their 'guesstimates' often are.
    I dont know what you are talking about.

Its really basic life skills, ones we use every day to do everything from put on our underware on to deciding which job to take.

When offered two options you evaulate the likelyhood of each and then move forward. If you need exact data to move forward then you will just stand there with your underware in your hands and never put them on.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited January 2016
    andre369 said:
    josko9 said:
    I'm not playing Destiny because it's pretty much crap.

But I'm not delusional, Destiny is more profitable than WoW these days.

Also while I prefer PC, I kinda doubt PC revenue is higher than Consoles.There is just so many more players on the Consoles, not to mention they actually buy the games. Many on the PC side just pirate them

Oh and ESO sold 3mil+ copies on the PS4 alone, that's $180mil of Revenue just off the copies sold, add to that the fact that ESO+ is also #3 best-selling Addon on PS4 in 2015 and you can be pretty much sure that the total revenue of ESO on PS4 is at minimum $300mil, but likely way higher.

Destiny for example outsold ESO on both as Copies sold in 2015, and The Taken King was the best selling PS4 Addon of 2015. I have no doubt that Destiny had over 1 billion of revenue in 2015, and not just 200mil.

Fallout 4 should be way higher on all platforms as well.

And that's just a few of them.

I'm also doubting WoW had 800mil of Revenue in 2015, maybe half of that, just maybe.

For more accurate info this is way better (digital sales): http://www.gamespot.com/articles/steams-20-best-selling-pc-games-of-2015-made-650m-/1100-6433510/
  • killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    In my opinion these numbers simply illustrate the transition from video games as an artistic expression to video games as a business.  The crap that mobile developers churn out makes more money.  That's where we'll see the focus.  It's sad, but it happens to almost every industry.  People see a market ready for exploitation and they call in the "professionals" and bean counters.  Now it's a profit driven endeavor that has nothing to do with the mentality that created the market in the first place.

That said, people are relatively stupid when taken as a whole and will generally like what they are told to like.  As long as there is money put into telling people to like mobile games (anyone noticed the huge increase in mobile game TV ads?), people will like them.  It's kind of a sad commentary not only on the video game industry, but on people in general (particularly Americans... we love our entertainment.  It distracts us from the crap lives that years of anti-labor legislation pushed by lobbyists for big money has created.)
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited January 2016
    gervaise1 said:
    andre369 said:
    josko9 said:

True that.

I simply suggested caution and a reminder to treat the numbers as an estimate.

Hey but for those who want to treat them as " truth" then - because we know WoW's Q1 to Q3 and L1's Q1 to Q3 earnings from formal published financial reports - simple arithmetic means that:

HEADLINE:             L1's Q4 earnings greater than WoW's Q4 earnings.

WoW no longer no. 1. Could it be so? Well quote:  "I think I'd listen to a company over a random internet forum poster." "True that". End quote.

Me  I simply suggest caution. L1 certainly could have passed WoW but?
  • JacobVRJacobVR Member CommonPosts: 7
    edited February 2016
    I never heard anyone mock Lineage 1. It's the most successful mmo outside of WoW. It's been going that strong 6 years longer than WoW. I heard some people mock EQ because the fans overrate it. Or more accurately they mock the idea that EQ design concepts were really great. I just wish NCSoft would reopen the western servers again.
    Post edited by JacobVR on