Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Doom 4 putting Overwatch to shame.

WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljpBwguIqos

Looks amazing ,very high detail.I think many will like the sheer carnage of the Chainsaw :)

Trying to compare this with a Blizzard product is impossible,Blizzard continues to make low poly games.Nobody can tell me these graphics don't make a difference because they make a HUGE difference to your gaming experience.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Doom 4 is an amazing looking, high quality, AAA tech demo of iD Software's new graphics engine. 

Well played.  =)
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited January 2016
    What? Why would you compare this to Overwatch?

edit - Compare this to Destiny or something.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Enjoy your graphics. I'll spend my money on a game I won't beat in a day and never play again.
  • IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Oh and btw any graphical professional will tell you that it doesn't matter how realistic or high poly/textured it is, it will be meaningless without style and substance.
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Engine looks awesome, can't wait till someone makes a game with it (https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2002/05/24).

The gore looks over done, and it seems a bit slowly paced for doom game... oh well, should still be fun.

Also, yeah, why are you comparing this to Overwatch? They are different games for different audiences, and different hardware requirements.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Ya but is it perma locked at 60fps?
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    edited January 2016
    Do you like... really hate Overwatch or something that you needed to smack on it in comparison to a game that isn't even remotely in the same genre?  I can't possibly see how or why it'd be relevant to Doom 4 at all, otherwise.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    edited January 2016
    Nice graphics although way too violent for me.
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    Everything is better than Overwatch.
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    bcbully said:
    What? Why would you compare this to Overwatch?

edit - Compare this to Destiny or something.
    Because it's Wizardry...

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    There's a good reason Blizzard makes everything with low poly graphics- it's so people with low or midrange computers can play the games.

I honestly believe most of what made WoW so successful for so long is that you can run the game on almost anything.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    edited January 2016
    While I agree that Doom 4 visually blows Overwatch out of the water, OW isn't trying to compete with Doom 4.  They are trying to make an FPS game that is an esport.  They are trying to compete with Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.

I am sure they realized that CSGO is unique among FPS games in having a strong esports component, but I really think they did not understand why.  Competing with CSGO is just about impossible for other FPS games right now.  It isn't because CSGO offers a more tactical experience, more challenging gunplay, or that it better rewards skill (though CSGO does do all these things).  The reason CSGO is such a hugely watched esports game is gambling.

CSGO has an enormous gambling scene.  Weapon skins that drop in the game can sell for hundreds of dollars in steam funds (though most just cost a few cents).  These steam funds can be used to purchase any game on steam (or other weapon skins).  Right now there are tons of sites that allow players to bet these dropped skins on professional matches.  It is not directly gambling money as the money never leaves steam.  There is nothing in place to stop children from gambling, and it seems the allure of gambling combined with their love of gaming makes for an incredibly addictive combination.  I forget the last time it happened, but when a match is not on the major gambling sites the viewership is very oddly low.

When there are major tournaments (tournaments sponsored by valve) then just watching has a chance to get you a dropped skin.  You can watch in the CSGO client or on twitch (they link to steam).  These dropped skins have the potential to be some of the most expensive, as they are labelled as 'souvenir' items and given a special logo with the signature of a professional player.  These items are incredibly rare, and sell for quite a bit.  When they are on good weapons, have a rare skin, and have the signature of a favorite player, they are worth absolutely insane amounts (a factory new souvenir dragonlore awp from before player signatures sold for $10,000).

Overwatch has no way to compete with CSGO until it offers a way for children to gamble.  I don't see any way for it to happen right now (nor do I think it should, I think it is a huge problem), so Overwatch won't be competing with CSGO anytime soon.
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    Lame comparison.  The two games are not even the same thing.  Doom does look amazing.
  • DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340
    Title is clickbait and author is bad. I guess I clicked though.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Hearthstone putting chess to shame
  • linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589
    Games are not the "same" despite both being shooters. One is a hero based objective based shooter and the other is just a typical arena shooter style game (ut style etc) 
  • linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589
    I always love people that go on and on and on and know next to nothing about what "low-poly" actually is or anything of the sort. Overwatch is NOT by any means a low-polygon count game despite you not liking the more rich and vibrant color scheme and the general art style. Using a different set of textures and shaders does not make polygon count rise up or suddenly move down and the actual level of detail on weapons in overwatch can be seen as can the environments. 

As such textures + shaders =/= polygon count and most of people's assumptions are completely off base because their so called judgements are simplistic at best and based off what they think they know and not what is actually going on. Texture differences, shader differences, and lighting differences can make the same exact same game look entirely different. If we broke down the game models they'd likely be near the same poly count between the two games. 

Simply put while Doom 4 looks fantastic it is not due to a higher polygon count, but rather differences in lighting, shaders, and the overall type of textures/art style used that makes it look "visually" better to most people's perceived eye. 
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    I didn't like Doom3 so I won't be getting this one.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I'd wait until the game is a thing first, seen too many 'demo's that just didn't look like the finished product, only have to look at games like Watchdogs etc. and then there are the system requirements, chances are to even approach that level of detail you will need a high end rig with dual 980ti's or something equally stupid, which probably means that to get those kinds of graphics, it will be a PC only game.
    Also, the tech demo of 1080p at 60fps was it run at that resolution because of the system requirements, would you need for instance, twin titan gtx's to run it at 2560x1440? do many people still run games on their systems at just 1080?
    Probably irrelevant though as i doubt the finished product will look as good as the tech demo, they hardly ever do.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Doom 4 looks awesome, but comparing it to Overwatch is just silly. Two entirely different genres. Besides, everyone knows that Shadow Warrior 2 is where it's at!

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Doom 4 looks awesome, but comparing it to Overwatch is just silly. Two entirely different genres. Besides, everyone knows that Shadow Warrior 2 is where it's at!
    They have guns! And bullets! And...you know! They are ONE! :D /sarcasm

LOL!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    What a pointless comparison.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    It is a bit like comparing the BAC Mono(OW) to a Rolls Roys(D4). One is designed with speed in mind and one is designed to look good. 

Anyway... Doom 4 looks like it is overcompensatging... A bit like that 50-something uncle that get a hair transplant and a nip n tuck. 

This have been a good conversation

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Wizardry said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljpBwguIqos

Looks amazing ,very high detail.I think many will like the sheer carnage of the Chainsaw :)

Trying to compare this with a Blizzard product is impossible,Blizzard continues to make low poly games.Nobody can tell me these graphics don't make a difference because they make a HUGE difference to your gaming experience.
    What an idiotic comparison. nevermind, you just needed an excuse to bash Blizzard.