Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top earning games 2015

Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
http://www.eteknix.com/top-10-pc-games-revenue-destroys-consoles-2015/

Makes for some intersting reading, for me the key points are, you can clearly see that WoW is hardly dying with income of over 800m $$s im sure Blizz are not quite yet bankrupt!! :)
But, the (for me) scariest ones are Clash of Clans which is 2nd on list earning over 1.3bill $$s and even candy crush earning 680m $$ (almost twice what the top console game earnt!

Some big numbers still around for games

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited January 2016
    If I was to social engineer minions for my biddings I would make them believe that the quality of the content they expose themselves is directly related to how much money I get from them.
     McDonalds does not have the best steak dinners

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    edited January 2016
    I hate what mobile gaming has done to the market, they cost almost nothing to make and make mass profits.

Also there isn't one modern MMO in the list anywhere. People mock old games and put new titles on a pedestal, but new games are not doing well at all.
  • andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
    I wonder how many parents are in debt due to mobile games.
  • Jonnyp2Jonnyp2 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    scorpex-x said:
    I hate what mobile gaming has done to the market, they cost almost nothing to make and make mass profits.

Also there isn't one modern MMO in the list anywhere. People mock old games and put new titles on a pedestal, but new games are not doing well at all.
    What world do you live in?  New games are ceaselessly mocked with nostalgic gamers claiming they will never compare to the "glory days" of old.  I mean just look at these forums... It's always talk about how great games like swg were and how new games are all disgusting cash grabs made by incompetent, greedy developers.  

I'll agree that the mobile market is pretty terrible.  It's sad that you just expect blatant rmt in any mobile game.  They don't even bother being subtle about it anymore, it's just in your face from the get go.  
    scorpex-x said:

mobile games are bringing in new gamers I dont think they have an effect on the core gamers.
    In my little world the MMO players I know have moved to multiplayer games with instanced worlds like...well. 7 days to die as just one example

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
     Good for them. Like it or not, those profits were paid for by the players. It wasn't by lottery or invading a country. If players want to pay whatever they want to play them, more power to them.

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Wow, Dungeon Fighter Online was third place for PC?  Cripes, that old game is still going strong.  I'm just... just so amazed at how much Nexon screwed the pooch with that game's western release.  Good job, Nexon guys. You screwed up so badly that you had to close down a game that's one of the top 3 revenue-earning PC games.  It takes some absolutely epic incompetence to do that.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    SEANMCAD said:
    If I was to social engineer minions for my biddings I would make them believe that the quality of the content they expose themselves is directly related to how much money I get from them.
    Only took a single post for a fast food analogy to be used. Not unexpected, I suppose. Well done. 
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Quazal.A said:
    But, the (for me) scariest ones are Clash of Clans which is 2nd on list earning over 1.3bill $$s and even candy crush earning 680m $$ (almost twice what the top console game earnt!
    That is the scariest? What about development and operational costs which are much lower than on PC? :wink: (since these are the revenues)
    Or when on a similar list a few years ago, the kardashian mobile app (not even a game) made it to be on the list, whilst only had 5 months to gather the income opposed to the others who had the whole year...

Purely by the numbers mobile is massive, and it's still on the rise, sadly. But since I'm not into mobiles, I think there are more concering aspects in only the PC bracket - not scary though, a list can't be scary :lol:

For example, CF is on the top of the list since years... a weak, p2w shooter, a lame CS rip-off - true, it has some fun modes, and also CS is much weaker than it was 15 years ago.
    Or, that no MMOs on the list besides the "big" sub-only one, and two old eastern ones with a large fan-base in the east still to day.
    Or, that majority of the list is about quick and fast, e-peen measuring games - though it has a good side too, with them collecting all the pvp peeps, RPGs can focus on PvE :wink:
    Or, that the only single-player game is GTA which only reached the list through its online mode and shop. (meaning no big budget games in the future without some kinda online mode and shop, single player will left for the indies, lower budget projects, and a few great guys like CDPR)
    Or, the absense of FPS (except CF and CS I mean), those are only in the console list... hello, controller-based, lame shooters of next years - sad, since shooters4mouse and keyboard :lol: 
    (and on a sidenote, two CoD and not a single BF? Ok, Hardline was kinda lame, but what about BF4?)
    SEANMCAD said:
    Only took a single post for a fast food analogy to be used. Not unexpected, I suppose. Well done. 
    true.

didnt think it out until i was done

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    true.

Yeah, plus, we really don't know if McDonald's does have the best steak dinners. If they ever had it, they might! That's completely off the rails, not related at all :) 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Torval said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    true.

Yeah, plus, we really don't know if McDonald's does have the best steak dinners. If they ever had it, they might! That's completely off the rails, not related at all :) 
    They have a pretty awesome grilled chicken bacon clubhouse sandwich though. I love that thing.
    Pleb. Didn't you know fast food is for the unwashed masses? A man of your stature should be eating at five star establishments! 
    Torval said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    true.

They have a pretty awesome grilled chicken bacon clubhouse sandwich though. I love that thing.
    should I bring my blazer?

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    Madden 15 and 16 on the list.........Wow gaming is going down the tubes.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited January 2016
    Health warning: its an estimate at best, a guess at worst.

You can health check the numbers by looking at games we have actual numbers for e.g.

WoW: (from AB's published 10-Q results): Q1 $272M + Q2 $221M + Q3 $195M or $688M in the first 9 months. So predicting $814M suggests $126M in Q4.

Could it be that low? Q2 and Q3 were both around 5M subs so the link between revenue and subs isn't exact but a drop to $126M - under 3M subs. Will we get the $$$ number for WoW with AB's next results? (Will depend how big a % of AB's revenue WoW is).

Destiny: only $291M and yet we know (from Activision) that users rose  to 20M+ so over 10M+ sold in the first 9 months of 2015. Add in the last 3 months of the year. Looks low.

Now maybe some or even all the numbers are accurate but I would advise caution.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    edited January 2016
    scorpex-x said:

I think it has more to do with mobile games being more accessible.  I think more people have smart phones than a console or gaming pc/laptop.

also a lot of that profit is most likely from advertising money,  not people spending money on the games themselves.  most mobile games are free to try.

• SanisarSanisar Member UncommonPosts: 135
    The problem I have with lists like this is that a lot of developers use them as a blueprint for how to make money in the market.  What they don't account for IMO is that in many gaming markets (MMOs, MOBAs, maybe FPS) people gravitate to a very few major games: the Cokes and Pepsi's if you will.  There isn't really much room for another cola, but there's plenty of room for Mountain Dew or Sprite.  I think we have finally reached a point where devs/investors realize that they can't compete directly in these markets with any amount of money or IPs (I'll be eternally grateful to SWTOR for this if nothing else) and have realized just how much space and potential there is in the market for an orange soda or a root beer.

The other thing I don't think MMO devs take into account is just how much the market can change in the time it takes them to develop an MMO.  Even WoW (which many try to copy) will be a very different game in 4-5 years.  In the early days of MMOs the development cycle was much shorter for most games so this didn't matter as much, but the past few years we have been bombarded by games that are copies of WoW from 4 years ago.  

At least developers are making progress (that isn't cloning WoW) for the first time in many years, I have to at least be happy with that for now.  Now if we could convince these companies to stop throwing money in the garbage chasing the MOBA dream when that market has been cornered for a looooong time.
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    Lol all of these numbers are so off. 
  • andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
    edited January 2016
    josko9 said:
    Care to give some sources to debunk them?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Whomever posted this has ZERO access to any books,they are just spinning numbers anyway they want.

It shows WOW as 814 million?

Well i just read somewhere they posted that they made 1.2 billion in the Q2 alone.SO unless they lost money the other 3Q something is really off.

It is funny seeing so many so called FREE to play games  churning up millions of dollars then yo uget forum users defending them saying "there is nothing in CS you can't get in game".Fact is they inconvenience you by pretty much forcing you to spend or be left out.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited January 2016
    andre369 said:
    josko9 said:
    It is difficult - but that cuts both ways; companies rarely produce exact data.

As I said in my post above however - in which I looked at WoW and Destiny I would urge caution.

Nielson used to produce data in the US as well but after both Activision and EA said the "data" was "rubbish" things went quiet on that front.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Wizardry said:

Well i just read somewhere they posted that they made 1.2 billion in the Q2 alone.SO unless they lost money the other 3Q something is really off.

I don't usually bother commenting on company revenues and such because if doesn't affect me all that much but this kind of misinformation is seriously naive.
    If one cannot read and understand a quarterly report, or even want to believe the numbers reported from a publicly traded company, then God help us from the conspiracy theorists out there pandering their agendas.
    gervaise1 said:
    andre369 said:
    josko9 said:

As I said in my post above however - in which I looked at WoW and Destiny I would urge caution.

Nielson used to produce data in the US as well but after both Activision and EA said the "data" was "rubbish" things went quiet on that front.

I think I'd listen to a company over a random internet forum poster. 
    gervaise1 said:
    andre369 said:
    josko9 said:

I think I'd listen to a company over a random internet forum poster. 
    I think statistically speaking that is the better choice

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Wow, Dungeon Fighter Online was third place for PC?  Cripes, that old game is still going strong.  I'm just... just so amazed at how much Nexon screwed the pooch with that game's western release.  Good job, Nexon guys. You screwed up so badly that you had to close down a game that's one of the top 3 revenue-earning PC games.  It takes some absolutely epic incompetence to do that.

That game is so much fun though!  I stopped playing a while back and played the beta when neople took over but never jumped back in all the way.  I can't explain why though...because I always had a good time playing my Blazing Flower :D (at least I think that was the nen master awakening name, lol).