Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Undefined discussion subject.

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2016 in News & Features Discussion

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412
    He must be losing his touch. I thought his expertise was selling half-cooked ideas and making huge monies off them?
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    edited January 2016
    Ugh I am so tired of reading about Smedley. He is such an attention whore! Go away and be quiet for a few years while you work on your game Smed. Please it's best for all of us.

You'll be hearing from us all the time and we'll be updating our website and all of you on a constant basis as we have cool stuff to show.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    "but it's obvious missing things like physical goods hampered our efforts. It's also fair to say because we're early that we didn't have enough gameplay to show the game off enough to get people over the hump."

I'm not a developer and I could have told them that.

If one is going to ask people to bakc something you have to get them excited. It's not like Kickstarter is "new" and there isn't a track record of what works and what doesn't.

All they had to do was look at successful kickstarters and see what worked and what didn't. And still, if "I" was going to do a kickstarter I would give backers a lot of information, pretty much have multiple videos in place.

I really sometimes wonder about developers.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510
    So much spin.
  • FacelessSaviorFacelessSavior Member UncommonPosts: 188
    Really looking forward to this concept. One I've been waiting on a dev to tackle for a while. Hope they can pull off "The Vision".
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I will paraphrase what Smed said above:

"I'm Smed and I realize now that gamers have lost faith in me and question my ability to lead so I am cancelling my kickstarter"
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    The poor poor angel investor.
  • timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Ow noes, were not on the shedule to reach the goal!

Great idea here! To make it look like we didnt fail, we will cancel it and tell everyone that we simply didnt prepare enough yet!

Great idea!
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Yes, exactly as i thought. It was obvious from the start it will not reach the goal

• Zarkin86Zarkin86 Member UncommonPosts: 122
    if you got the money then dont even ask on KS. thats called a scam.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    edited January 2016
    Why did he think he could command $800 000 for some 8-bit looking game anyway.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    edited January 2016
    if you got the money then dont even ask on KS. thats called a scam
    Welcome to Kickstarter. The most messed up concept to have ever faced the internet.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    He put a lot of time and effort into the kickstarter?? ROFLMAO

he didn't even put enough time before starting this game idea.

He needs to wake up,you need to properly plan the entire game/project like 6 months would seem reasonable.
    He simply quickly tried to come up with any old fast idea to start some cash flow.I wouldn't trust this guy at all anymore,he is long lost in aged mind deterioration.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited January 2016
    Call me cynical but - as I said in one of the earlier threads - it looked to me like Kickstarter was being used to sell the game rather than raise money.

Which is brilliant in its own way. A significant chunk of publicity for $0; two mmorpg.com articles for example and this one makes three (4 with the stream).
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Zarkin86 said:
    if you got the money then dont even ask on KS. thats called a scam.
    I'm hoping that was just poor wording on Smedley's part, or that there were extra development goals they were going to use the Kickstarter to meet.

But the way he literally said that they would release the game within the same time frame with zero Kickstarter funds after asking for the funds (and no mention of additional funds being received from elsewhere)...  Taken at face value, it seems questionable at best, quite despicable at worst.

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Like I said before Kickstarters need to die and developers need to make their games so the games have better value in the long run. Wise choice in my opinion.
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • macwoodmacwood Member UncommonPosts: 134
    People are still begging to give him money as well  :(
  • VarkingVarking Member UncommonPosts: 542
    I had never heard of this until today.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    I'm actually kind of surprised someone with as much experience as John Smedley has thought a 2D pixel rpg that some random indie guy could make with RPG Maker would get $800k from a KS?

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• LizardKing89LizardKing89 Member UncommonPosts: 61
    I'm so rooting for him to fail. Smedley is the biggest fraud in the gaming industry.
  • DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    I pointed out on the KS thread that it was half-assed at best and lazily being ran. Anyone with even a little experience with watching kickstarters knows what makes a successful and the effort it takes. Yet some still refuse to see that (talking about those that still are saying it could have funded with a push of 600k the last few days).

One thing I disagree with some here is on KS as a whole being bad. You simply be selective in what you back. Without Kickstarter I wouldn't have gotten Divinity Original Sin , Wasteland 2 , the Shadowrun games, finally Pillars of Eternity.. No publisher was going to give a million or two to someone to make those. And I find all of those more fun than the AAA trash that's been released the past few years.

Camelot Unchained wasn't going to happen without KS and I bought heavily into that and love the ideas of old school servers , choices that matter and so on. Things that AAA developers scream running away from.

For niche games that EA or Ubisoft isn't going to make , Kickstarter has given me great games , I've never had a project that funded not deliver the goods , and still have Battletech and Camelot Unchained etc to look forward to.

Those Kickstarters though put effort into theirs. This one was a joke.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    He could have stooped as low as Chris and use Angry Joe and Cynical Brit to advertise his product for KS.

I don't think we can say others put effort into their KS or game unless we know what time frame they were working with.It just so happens that we know how soon Smedley got his new developer studio up after only one month.You can't accomplish anything in one month ,that is why we know this was a super lame rush job to get some money.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Seems that the "gaming public" is harder to con than a few investors.

Who would have thunk it.

(And lol at Smed for sucking it on the KS, No Free Money for You!)
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Kiyoris said:
    if you got the money then dont even ask on KS. thats called a scam
    Welcome to Kickstarter. The most messed up concept to have ever faced the internet.
    Really depends on who you're dealing with.

For example: Black Bird Interactive had a KS for a new homeworld-like game called Shipbreakers a few years ago. I signed up for 100 euros. Suddenly, Gearbox got a hold of the IP and offered to take them in and fund the game.

Not only did they refund me the money in full after they signed at Gearbox, but also promised me a free copy of the game once released (as a thank you for putting my money and trust in them).

'lo and behold, last week, I got a steam code from them for said game (now called Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak).

That said, things like this happen rarely and you're more likely to be scammed, but meh.
  • superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871
    edited January 2016
    Sovrath said:
    "but it's obvious missing things like physical goods hampered our efforts. It's also fair to say because we're early that we didn't have enough gameplay to show the game off enough to get people over the hump."

I'm not a developer and I could have told them that.

If one is going to ask people to bakc something you have to get them excited. It's not like Kickstarter is "new" and there isn't a track record of what works and what doesn't.

All they had to do was look at successful kickstarters and see what worked and what didn't. And still, if "I" was going to do a kickstarter I would give backers a lot of information, pretty much have multiple videos in place.

I really sometimes wonder about developers.

You hit the nail on the head.
    Can add to the list marketing failure. The proof: practically nobody knew about this game until the kickstarter popped up. Did they not think to progressively release tidbits of info to prepare people for an upcoming KS? I recall that by the time the Crowfall KS was announced it had already climbed up the hypemeter.