Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gold Spammers will kill this game.

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    DMKano said:
    Gold spammers never killed any game. Wont happen here either.

Kill a game entirely?  Maybe not.  But make the game substantially less popular--and less profitable--than it would otherwise have been?  Yeah, that happens.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    JDis25 said:
    Not worried about it. Nothing worthwhile being talked about in Faction chat anyway. Annoying definitely but not a game breaker. And once the hype dies down so too will the gold spam.
    Lol so true. The chat seems to be filled 12 year old's talking crap anyways
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    edited January 2016

this thread gets created with every new game. 

where is the proof that gold spammers have ever "killed a game"?

filter them out of chat,  switch chat channels,  or leave chat entirely.  there are plenty of options for people if it bothers them that much.  frankly I'd rather see the gold spam than a lot of other things I see in chat. 

people will kill this game.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Gold spammers do that for a living,it won't die down at all,they need to be spamming 24/7.

I would be more worried about the lazy ass developer not doing something about it like IP block blocking.If i see my developer is not caring about their own game,then i am out of here right quick.I quit my favorite game once because of that and had to be convinced to come back after about 18 months away.

kids spamming in chat,can that be any worse than some kids grabbing a max level Horde player and going to Alliance to wipe out all the npc's?This again shows a bad developer and a bad community of players,i see this too often in a lot of games.

I believe it is pvp that attracts the bad community but for RMT like i said that is how they make their living and it is big business.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Quizzical said:
    DMKano said:

Kill a game entirely?  Maybe not.  But make the game substantially less popular--and less profitable--than it would otherwise have been?  Yeah, that happens.
    Sadly I'd have to say that the larger the amount of gold sellers the better a game's health.
    Do not confuse correlation with causation.  Popular games attract gold spammers, but the gold spammers themselves do not make a game more popular.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Quizzical said:
    Quizzical said:
    DMKano said:

Sadly I'd have to say that the larger the amount of gold sellers the better a game's health.
    Do not confuse correlation with causation.  Popular games attract gold spammers, but the gold spammers themselves do not make a game more popular.
    I think he's saying that.

He isn't saying the more gold sellers the better they make the game's health. He is just saying the more gold sellers the better indication of the game's health. He just worded it oddly.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited January 2016
    They really do need to do something and they do have some good ways to handle it like IP blocking and making  region chat and public chat only available at higher levels. Perhaps this problem is also very bad in P2P and B2P games but it might be less due to the barrier for entry. Of course those automated bot accounts creator need to be blocked somehow too may be some vicious captcha.Or not allowing a new character in immediately this also has the desired effect as the automated bot creator cannot keep creating since each character is delayed for like 15 minutes. Having no currency like Skyforge also worked.

It does take the joy out of playing when you cannot even ask a question without your question disappearing in an avalanche of gold spam.

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    i dont think gold spammers will kill this game. they are doing that job themselves
  • DkompozeDkompoze Member UncommonPosts: 245
    edited January 2016
    Teala said:
    If NCSoft doesn't fix this serious issue with their game soon - it will make people quit.   Spammers have pretty much taken over regional and faction chats to the point that you can't report and block them fast enough.  On top of that, you are limited to blocking only 50.   In the past 6 days I filled that 50 over 10+ times.  Think about that really hard.

Did you do the math?

That is over 500 spammers reported and blocked.  

It got so bad I had to remove faction chat and regional chat just to be able to communicate with people in game.   If this keeps up I'll give up on the game as well.   This is beyond ridiculous and NCSoft should make this issue priority #1 - besides the queue times some people are putting up with - this is now the biggest issue in game.
    I have already quit. Yea the gold spammers are bad,but to me the game is underwhelming. Not sure what all the hype is about, seemed like just another FTP mmo to me.
  • Zen00Zen00 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    The content locusts will swarm the game and then move on. Gold spammers will do the same. What else is new?
    They already are, last week the queues were around 3k people, yesterday it was only 500 people at the same time.
  • EquintinEquintin Member UncommonPosts: 137
    This game won't die because of gold as Aion didn't die because of them. This game has been going for 4 years in korea and Will go for alot longer in NA I'm sure.BS is just to awesome!

• TroubleHunterTroubleHunter Member UncommonPosts: 70
    This topic is the problem with mmorpg.com forums, a lot of unoccupied grumpy players who complain about everything like its the end of the world
  • AevenathAevenath Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Even though the game is packed right now with people, it feels dead. There is no regional chat, no questions being asked, no trade. Because every half a second a gold seller is saying something.
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    edited January 2016
    Its a dam chat box.  Turn it off for crissakes!  It only needs to be open when you need to say something or ask a question.  Creating a custom box for local, whispers, and group solves most, if not all, of the problem.  
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    If you got gold sellers = pay to win.  I mean someone is buying all that gold,  but i guess that's not a problem for most f2p'ers.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Its a dam chat box.  Turn it off for crissakes!  It only needs to be open when you need to say something or ask a question.  Creating a custom box for local, whispers, and group solves most, if not all, of the problem.  
    A lot of people play MMOs for that social interaction you don't get in single player games, which comes from the chat box. Asking them to turn off chat to solve the problem is the same as telling them to go play a SP.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Already did kill it, move along the rotting corpse is getting stinky.
    edited January 2016
    Zen00 said:
    A lot of people play MMOs for that social interaction you don't get in single player games, which comes from the chat box. Asking them to turn off chat to solve the problem is the same as telling them to go play a SP.

I understand and agree.  However, gold selling is a multi-million dollar industry.   It's not going anywhere.  Like hackers, they have a vested interest in staying ahead of the game.  If it is ruining your game play to this extent then you have to find solutions.  And a solution is there for those who seek it.  Again, you can create your own custom chat boxes.  Create one for local and whisper, create another for groups, and create one for guild.  That should satisfy most of your social necessities.  Any one who has played MMORPGs for even a few years knows that region and world chats are a mess.  Why anyone would subject themselves to the ridicule discussed in those chats, much less subject themselves to having it open period, is beyond me.  This problem is not a game breaker and can be easily remedied.  To complain about it and let it ruin your game play is an exercise in futility.  We all know that.  We have all seen it before.  Yet we continue to cry about it.  People just love to complain about everything and anything.  Sometimes I wonder how some of you make it through life.
    Of course you could pay for the premium chat package (It's real!) which allows you to block more people. :P
    Zen00 said:
    Of course you could pay for the premium chat package (It's real!) which allows you to block more people. :P

Well there you go.  Its a F2P with a cash shop.  Sometimes we have to pay for convenience.  Where there is a will there is a way.  
  • whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
     As others have said, change the chat boxes to something less 'offensive'. If people still complain then it seems to be less of a gaming issue and more of a social media issue. 
    It's a game, not Twitter or FB. Go play!
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    Nothing will kill "this game" because nothing kills any mmorpg.
  • ThexReporterThexReporter Member UncommonPosts: 124
    k61977 said:
    There isn't really a good way to stop this in a F2P game.  You can disable the account but they just create another one.  You could limit talking in chat, hasn't worked yet in a F2P game they just make new accounts and rotate through them.  You could try IP blocking, there are tons of ways around this also.  This is part of the problem with F2P titles, it is very hard to stop somebody that wants to do something like this.  About the only thing that would stop this is a legal system battle with  developers vs. gold sellers which you will hardly ever happens because most the gold sellers live in areas that have no laws regulating this.

I did think of one way that would solve it and it has been done and that is for developers to just straight out sell the gold themselves for real money.  But this just creates a whole other problem in the game that it just isn't worth it.
    1 - Include an AFK timer in your game.
    2 - Shadow gag ( let the bot owners think they're still speaking, but the players can't see their messages ) based off of the message being sent.  Considering the spammers are quite literally sending the same URL every time, this filter can be easily expanded on.

Some players will be caught in the cross fire, address those in a case by case manner. 

We did this and the gold spam went down so far that we would go days without seeing a single message.  Bots thought they were still spamming, players had no idea the bots were spamming, bingo boingo problem solved.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Sad truth is, gold spammers only exist because the PLAYERS support them.
    I won't go into my whole spiel on this, but exactly.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• maple2maple2 Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Teala said:
    If NCSoft doesn't fix this serious issue with their game soon - it will make people quit.   Spammers have pretty much taken over regional and faction chats to the point that you can't report and block them fast enough.  On top of that, you are limited to blocking only 50.   In the past 6 days I filled that 50 over 10+ times.  Think about that really hard.

Did you do the math?

That is over 500 spammers reported and blocked.  

It got so bad I had to remove faction chat and regional chat just to be able to communicate with people in game.   If this keeps up I'll give up on the game as well.   This is beyond ridiculous and NCSoft should make this issue priority #1 - besides the queue times some people are putting up with - this is now the biggest issue in game.
    no u are just stupid really.. the only way to kill a mmo if they no longer gain a profit. gold spammers are not a problem they are just harmless idiots who spam and u can easily block them with 2-3 clicks. Or u could stop playing and shut up.