Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will there be PVP?

124»

Comments

• TimberhickTimberhick Member UncommonPosts: 554
    Rhoklaw said:
    I believe CoE will provide ample sources of entertainment if the current mechanics are able to be implemented AND mesh with each other. I also like the idea of it taking a very, very long time to become legendary status with regards to crafting. Their approach to the PvP aspect is much better than most FFA open world MMO's, such as Darkfall or Mortal Online.

if the current mechanics are able to be implemented AND mesh with each other.

Truth.

Where I disagree with every fan of the game.  I don't think they can will be able to be implemented and mesh with each other.
  • Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Rhoklaw said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    I believe CoE will provide ample sources of entertainment if the current mechanics are able to be implemented AND mesh with each other. I also like the idea of it taking a very, very long time to become legendary status with regards to crafting. Their approach to the PvP aspect is much better than most FFA open world MMO's, such as Darkfall or Mortal Online.

if the current mechanics are able to be implemented AND mesh with each other.

Truth.

Where I disagree with every fan of the game.  I don't think they can will be able to be implemented and mesh with each other.
    Well, I'm going to use SC as the guinea pig because if CiG / CR can get all their modules to finally work together seamlessly than the mechanics CoE are trying to incorporate should have no problem. I think the biggest problem will be the amount of manpower needed to design each mechanic, which requires capital. I guess that is what we'll probably see for stretch goals. Which features make it into the game at launch.
    I honestly believe CoE will be released before SC and technically believe you shouldn't compare these two. Not to belittle SC in any sort of way (original backer) but to ask funds to hire and manage others to create your vision is very different than actually coding it yourself for a few years before asking anything. Hence I fairly believe CoE has a better idea what can be done in their current state compared to when SC launched their KS campaign. 
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
    Again this is where I differ from you about this.  We have no proof Jeromy has invested the amount of money he says he has.  It is what first pinged my BS meter, plus the 'mechanic' is used for sympathy and as a weapon.
  • Deffcon_1Deffcon_1 Member UncommonPosts: 164
    Again this is where I differ from you about this.  We have no proof Jeromy has invested the amount of money he says he has.  It is what first pinged my BS meter, plus the 'mechanic' is used for sympathy and as a weapon.
    Well I wonder were they got the money for new office and motion capture equipment came from.... I guess a lot of people have that kind of stuff just sitting around. You have no proof Jeromy hasnt invested his own money either. Why would you assume he hasnt put up his own money? Are you really that cynical? I am not trying to troll, these are legitimate questions. I wonder why you see to instantly think any statement people make is false in some way and there has to be something else going on.
    If you are not trying to be a troll why the sarcastic first couple of sentences?

We have no proof one way or the other.  What we do have is a person who uses it constantly both for sympathy/defense and weapon.  That makes me question it, so I guess that makes me cynical, but when it comes to games, being cynical is a better course of action in my book.  Watching these things unfold for decades now, with companies over-promising and under-delivering, why wouldn't you question an unknown indy studio who is proclaiming gaming nirvana?

Plus there is a number of little things that taken separately don't mean much, but as a whole means more than the sum of their parts.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    ....raises hand   pick me !!!

This game has done it DIFFERENT than those other games.I eman is there any comparison what so ever to for example Chris Roberts and the way he has handled taking 100 million from innocent naive gamer's?

How about the 100's of other big promises games that already took 30/40/50 bucks form gamer's and now those games are dead in the water.How about Smedley selling  H1Z1 for 30 bucks to get ONE map,ONE model,a few weapons and a few pickups?

What this developer has simply done is say "we have a game coming"we don't have a product yet but here are some ideas we are floating around or working on.

So to expect anything more than what they are doing is imo ridiculous,we have asked for less from total shysters so far.Even after all the people Smedley has ripped off we still saw people that were lining up to give him money for a game that even he sees as a KS failure.

We simply need to be fair when warranted,i think we need to be fair towards this developer at least until a LOT more of the game is advertised and money is exchanging hands.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Deffcon_1Deffcon_1 Member UncommonPosts: 164
    I did questions it. I was quite skeptical at first. I have been part of the community of CoE for along time, one of the first 250, and I was skeptical of it. Being a part of the community and seeing a lot of things not released on MMORPG.com has changed my point of view. I have had many a dream game pop up and disappear as well. But, the only way for the industry to change and for games that I want to play to get made is to support them early. If small studios that come up with ideas for games I want to play get no support no one will make those games. So, I take the route of supporting small studios that come up with games I think would be great. Instead of attacking them and being a cynical and negative person, I am positive and supportive. Nothing comes from being negative. It does nothing, except possibly quash a great idea by turning others off. I have never, not once, gone into a games forums just to bash the game and its ideas. There are a lot of games on the "in development" list here that I think will be garbage. But, I dont go there and tell them that because it isnt helpful. Why go somewhere just to be negative? Ive never understood this mentality.

A lot of us in the community have seen pictures of their old office and now their new office. There is a lot of proof that things are getting done and the game is coming together. Just because they arent released to MMORPG.com doesnt mean its not there.
    Wizardry said:

This game has done it DIFFERENT than those other games.I eman is there any comparison what so ever to for example Chris Roberts and the way he has handled taking 100 million from innocent naive gamer's?

How about the 100's of other big promises games that already took 30/40/50 bucks form gamer's and now those games are dead in the water.How about Smedley selling  H1Z1 for 30 bucks to get ONE map,ONE model,a few weapons and a few pickups?

What this developer has simply done is say "we have a game coming"we don't have a product yet but here are some ideas we are floating around or working on.

So to expect anything more than what they are doing is imo ridiculous,we have asked for less from total shysters so far.Even after all the people Smedley has ripped off we still saw people that were lining up to give him money for a game that even he sees as a KS failure.

We simply need to be fair when warranted,i think we need to be fair towards this developer at least until a LOT more of the game is advertised and money is exchanging hands.

That is part of the problem, what we have is an unknown person promising a wet dream of a game for a chunk of the population, but you want us to
    while you knock Chris Roberts and Smedley?
    It has been 437 days. Instead of showing what they got, they keep adding to what the game is going(maybe?) to have.  It's this unknown person talking about the 10 year story arc for months now, but then finally admitting they don't have a Story Director nor the actual 10 year story arc.
  • MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    Wizardry said:

That is part of the problem, what we have is an unknown person promising a wet dream of a game for a chunk of the population, but you want us to
    while you knock Chris Roberts and Smedley?
    It has been 437 days. Instead of showing what they got, they keep adding to what the game is going(maybe?) to have.  It's this unknown person talking about the 10 year story arc for months now, but then finally admitting they don't have a Story Director nor the actual 10 year story arc.
    Maybe you missed the point, for those of us who have hung out in the IRC chan and actively engaged the community in a supportive manner, Caspian has revealed portions of his past to us with proof. Not from direct asking but indirect. People asking about "how can I go about getting into game dev myself" etc. or "why did you choose Unreal Engine" and within minutes he's provided some fairly concise information summarising their choices and providing information that is very pertinent and specific. Not something a 'nobody' could just whip out as well as links to things he's done in the past and is still involved with in some fashion.

They're also going to be offering gameplay videos and online tools for free BEFORE kick starter as well as an offline demo to run around and experience a small portion of the game/world, again if you bothered to engage and follow the game and QnAs in full you'd realise this as well. That is far more to be offered most other KSs I've seen and I'm not talking Beta's or Alpha prior to launch after people have pre-ordered. This is before all of that.

Unfortunately for yourself and HFS you are extremely critical and offer very little in constructive threads, often throwing misleading comments and information out and refusing to correct them or clarify them to prevent other's from misreading your statement.
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
    What is constructive in threads all about praise?  How is a person who expresses an unfavorable opinion of something somehow the bad guy?  When did discussion become a group talking all in agreement?

I take umbrage with throwing misleading comments and information out and refusing to correct them or clarify them to prevent other's from misreading your statement.   I have not done that at all.  Remember my point about being able to die in less than 24 hours in CoE(Lifespan divided by Fame multiplied by Toll Cap), then both you and deffcon tried to add in the Day 1 stuff?  How is that me misleading? How is that not you misleading? It has nothing to do with Day 1 or Day 2,099.  In fact you don't even need the highest fame rating, the second highest fame rating still allows for a character to be gone in less than 24 hours.  No where do I say it will happen all I am saying is it can happen, according to the math currently in place.

Something else I find odd.  Jeromy has talked quite a bit about being as open and honest as possible.  Yet we have Jeromy saying "My staff and I have been using IRC as a place to leak information to those community members dedicated enough to come into IRC and chat with us. Going forward we will be more selective about what information we reveal so you can feel comfortable sharing any information received over IRC in more permanent locations - such as the forums."
    This implies that there was an uncomfortable feeling about sharing information.  This coupled with you saying "those of us who have hung out in the IRC chan and actively engaged the community in a supportive manner" implies there is/was an incrowd, which the whole Influence thing is currently exasperating.

My wife does work with fraud cases for the government(completely colors my perception of life I admit to that) but to your
    Caspian has revealed portions of his past to us with proof. Not from direct asking but indirect. People asking about "how can I go about getting into game dev myself" etc. or "why did you choose Unreal Engine" and within minutes he's provided some fairly concise information summarising their choices and providing information that is very pertinent and specific. Not something a 'nobody' could just whip out as well as links to things he's done in the past and is still involved with in some fashion.
    This is classic conman territory.  No I am not saying CoE is a con, but I am saying I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that way.

edited January 2016
    Wow... now you're suggesting this is a Con? That's pretty low and starting to hit the libel area of things.

As for your misleading comment you have utterly forgotten your very own statement.

A player can spend 30$ on his new spark. Step into the game world and less than 24 hours later, have to buy another spark.
    That very statement from you, in it's own paragraph insinuates the following.

• Player buys a spark for $30
    • Player steps into the world
    • 24-hours later the player is perma-dead from getting killed so often
    That scenario is not possible, a fresh spawn has no fame. Unless you are someone who has dropped enough money during kickstarter to have a nobility title or similar, even then it's a small amount that will have that level of fame. There's only so many kingships available in the game for one.

The only accurate thing in that whole post was the comment about legendary level and not a single person disputes that, I even agree and acknowledge it, so have the dev's. However the way you structured and worded it you led the scenario to be a fresh player will spawn in with legendary fame. That cannot happen and that is misleading and you have chosen to ignore that. If you went back and edited out or provided a qualifying statement then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

So anyone will welcome constructive (note doesn't have to be positive but it is constructive) discussion, but bashing the game for the sake you think you know more than other's when you are not partaking in the full community and discussing the designs and options there-in... Perhaps provide a clear and legible post that outlines your concerns/fears and accept that other's will discuss and disagree with you on points. That is being constructive, rather than hyping negativity and spreading misleading comments.

Timberhick said:
    Something else I find odd.  Jeromy has talked quite a bit about being as open and honest as possible.  Yet we have Jeromy saying "My staff and I have been using IRC as a place to leak information to those community members dedicated enough to come into IRC and chat with us. Going forward we will be more selective about what information we reveal so you can feel comfortable sharing any information received over IRC in more permanent locations - such as the forums."
    This implies that there was an uncomfortable feeling about sharing information.  This coupled with you saying "those of us who have hung out in the IRC chan and actively engaged the community in a supportive manner" implies there is/was an incrowd, which the whole Influence thing is currently exasperating.

As for this this statement, I can understand Caspian's view. He gets grilled a LOT in IRC and basically it boils down to the fact he doesn't want to answer everything, wants players to discover the content being planned rather than revealing all the little in's and out's of the game play ahead of time. The other aspect of this is if they share something in IRC and it is relayed everywhere and anywhere then people take it as gospel and will even misquote and mislead other's, when the relaying of information on IRC might purely have been speculation on "we are thinking of this but not sure yet, trying to see if it'll fit" then the second line has details on what this is. Everyone quotes the second line and as a result it is seen as factual and is happening rather than a dev saying they're spitballing an idea to gauge immediate feedback.

Timberhick said:
    It has been 437 days. Instead of showing what they got, they keep adding to what the game is going(maybe?) to have.  

437 days?
    This game wasn't announced in November 2014... maybe you need to check your maths on that one.

It's this unknown person talking about the 10 year story arc for months now, but then finally admitting they don't have a Story Director nor the actual 10 year story arc.

They have a story arc, a broad outline of the plan with some early specifics. As the players will be directing how the game evolves the story arc is going to shift... as for a story director they're talking to writers to see who wants to come on board, the downside to that is a story director is likely not going to want to use Caspian's lore and write their own story on how the world evolves. So the less Caspian's announces as gospel now for factual lore, the easier it is for whoever comes on as story director to be able to flex their creative in this world while following only the base guidelines of lore that Caspian has already announced.
    Post edited by Maygus on
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
    Notice I said "No I am not saying CoE is a con, but I am saying I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that way."
    Yet the very first thing you say...
    "Wow... now you're suggesting this is a Con? That's pretty low and starting to hit the libel area of things."

That quote of mine you are using, was that said before or after me explaining the issues with DJ 16?

Are you capable of buying just a spark and playing the game? Last I knew you had to buy the game itself(which comes with a spark) before you are able to as I said

"A player can spend 30$ on his new spark. Step into the game world and less than 24 hours later, have to buy another spark. "

• Notice I said "a player can spend"
    • Notice I said "on his new spark"  I said new spark, that would imply there was an old spark.  If I was talking about the first spark, I would have said 'on his first spark'

Notice I said "No I am not saying CoE is a con, but I am saying I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that way."
    Yet the very first thing you say...
    "Wow... now you're suggesting this is a Con? That's pretty low and starting to hit the libel area of things."

That quote of mine you are using, was that said before or after me explaining the issues with DJ 16?

Are you capable of buying just a spark and playing the game? Last I knew you had to buy the game itself(which comes with a spark) before you are able to as I said

"A player can spend 30$ on his new spark. Step into the game world and less than 24 hours later, have to buy another spark. "

• Notice I said "a player can spend"
    • Notice I said "on his new spark"  I said new spark, that would imply there was an old spark.  If I was talking about the first spark, I would have said 'on his first spark'

Let's not twist individual words around. If you are not insinuating a chance of a Con you wouldn't even raise it as a point in your discussion. Someone (well me) has pointed out the general info that Caspian does have a long history on the internet of doing a game dev stuff, but I do not have to provide you the links and you turned around with a statement about Cons because of some interaction your partner does with fraud. I've dealt with fraud in my history of working as well... I've worked with people who have tried to defraud people (and subsequently went to the cops about them after realising what was happening).

It was the structure in the way you delivered it and you still haven't acknowledged that. I suggest you look at your own posting history and read your own statement and find the answers to the very things you are asking what you did.

A player spending $30 on a new spark will not spawn into a legendary character, they will spawn into an heir that is not the king and doesn't have the fame level of the previous character and again, unless they are a total bad and fail to have any provisions at all for protection of their status and fame, it his highly unlikely they will die in less than 24-hours. Technically possible but I imagine after the 1st and maybe 2nd death... then they'll either log off while in spirit world thereby stopping the timer and await arrivals to back them up, or perhaps not let themselves get into a compromising situation every 2.5 hours.

Now if someone infiltrates the social circles of said player to be able to kill them via poison etc. without getting busted, that is another thing entirely and is a totally different aspect of looking at things.

So your example is an extreme out there scenario and is a what-if because you do not know how those players will play the game, only your hypothesis scenario.