Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Last Day of Service on January 31st

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageLast Day of Service on January 31st

One of the better browser ARPGs, City of Steam, is ending service on Sunday, January 31st. According to MMOGames, developer Mechanist Games had a rocky go of it after ending a publication partnership with R2Games.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Bye
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    It wasn't making enough money.
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Wasnt this the game that had 2-3 relaunches ?
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    edited January 2016
    Well, you can clearly see this game is well taken care of when the last 45+ pages on the main General forum are SPAM for the past 6 MONTHS without anyone deleting them.
    Every single thread for the past 6+ MONTHS has been a spam thread. Unbelievable.

So yeah, good riddance. Have a look at this: http://forum.cityofsteam.com/index.php?board=52.0
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • leoakleoak Member UncommonPosts: 8
    I played CoS back in beta before R2 got involved. I absolutely loved it and it had a nice community. Once R2 got a hold of CoS though, the game was all about the money. Mechanist should have kept the game to themselves and did a kickstarter or something to get more funds for the game. R2 just saw CoS as a cash cow and wanted to milk the game for every last drop. Sad to see they actually managed to milk the cow to death.
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    Was decent at launch, not enough for me to quit WoW for. Sucks to see games go though.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    That's what happens when you make a deal with the devil (R2 Games in this case). Sucks, but I can't say I feel sorry for them.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Seelinnikoi said:
    Well, you can clearly see this game is well taken care of when the last 45+ pages on the main General forum are SPAM for the past 6 MONTHS without anyone deleting them.

Every single thread for the past 6+ MONTHS has been a spam thread. Unbelievable.

So yeah, good riddance.

Have a look at this:

http://forum.cityofsteam.com/index.php?board=52.0

I just saw that a few mins ago myself. Hilarity.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    But... but guys!  The game had a good soundtrack!
  • timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    One of the better browser arpgs? The thing was a 100% cashgrab through and through
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 275
    The alpha test version of the game was great and was fun to play. If they had left the game in that state I will still be playing it today. But all the changes to game play and cash grab shops was too much and made the game no longer fun to play for me.
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    I hope they let us get one last crack at buying some cash shop items even after it shuts down.
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    It does have a good soundtrack though. At least that will survive (I hope).
  • DranmarthDranmarth Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Before R2 got involved, this game was amazing and I would have still been playing it today, however R2 made it into a cash grab, gutted the community of its good members, then threw it back at Mechanist to burn once they ruined it.
  • pinktailzpinktailz Member UncommonPosts: 173
    R2Games = Cheap P2W cash grabs nonsense

Those devs should have known they are going to step into this horse$hit pile.
    Instead of making decent kickstarter they came to R2G, and don't tell me they were unaware what this company all about.Devs were okay to pull players into p2w mess, so they deserved closure I guess.
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    I did try City of Steam did play it abit until they change stuff around made thing not for me anymore.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    RIP

I self identify as a monkey.

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515
    GG WP- I will not miss this game at all. Browser games=no go!

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• AberiusAberius Member UncommonPosts: 37
    It was a good game in beta. Then R2 got their hands on it, it turned into a cash shop mess, and I bailed. Too bad - fun lore, aesthetic, atmosphere etc. ruined by greed.
  • TolrocTolroc Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Aberius said:
    It was a good game in beta. Then R2 got their hands on it, it turned into a cash shop mess, and I bailed. Too bad - fun lore, aesthetic, atmosphere etc. ruined by greed.

Same feeling here. I also played beta, loved it, and then R2 went and ruined it.
  • SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Played it during the first Alpha test and eventually invited to beta but never continued playing
  • XxeroxXxerox Member UncommonPosts: 126
    R2G - Destroyed of Worlds.