Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com : General : MMOFTW - Smedley's Got a Brand New Game

2»

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    To sum up reading many opinions ,people only need be reminded that although i don't much like Smedley either,Everquest was the face of mmorgp gaming for a long time and although EQ2 was a buggy mess,it still was the highest standard for a mmorpg well beyond what Wow was doing.Point being no matter how much Smedley will digress he will always have a name in the industry.

I don't hate on WS not even in the slightest,i know very little of their team operations or it's  employees but gaming in general really is about timing,luck,IP,niche market,popularity example Blizzard.A LOT is about marketing WS did more than enough to gather attention and it did and imo it profited because of that attention.However after the fact ,you need a product and time has proven that an average product likely still fails in short order,you need a really good product.

Adding one more point,nostalgic does not make it GOOD,it is simply a reminder of the past.Smedley is trying to sell a very old used car.Old paint is old paint and old tech is old tech.When developers create new physics engines,new DX libraries ,new software programs ,it is to IMPROVE the industry.They don't sit there and think ok lets scrap all we have accomplished the last 15 years and digress back to 1995 because we believe  the tech is better.It not only is NOT better it also does not look better either.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    edited January 2016
    That was cool and funny having your son playing in the background Bill.

I can't believe that Wildstar is continuing to fail! I just don't get it. Its such a badass game, why is it continually flopping?

And on Smed's game... I mean, c'mon dude! He should have made Neverquest After and smoked Daybreak/SOE. He could've had his cake and ate it too. Instead he's making a crappy Legend of Zelda looking game. IT'S 2016 FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!
  • Marius6870Marius6870 Member UncommonPosts: 46
    edited January 2016
    Smed wants my money? LOL! After all the time and effort I put into SWG to have him butcher it? No thanks! And to anyone that says " Get over it" Sorry, I don't have to get over sh*t!
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Great vid. Unimpressed by what is coming..including Black Desert. Smed's new game, 2D...really?
    Wildstar troubles...predicted that long ago. Like to see a good mmo that everyone could get behind.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• SoarlozerSoarlozer Member UncommonPosts: 61
    I vowed to never play a NCSoft game because they closed CoH/CoV.

I didn't like tabula rasa and never played auto assault but they shut those down too.
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    donger56 said:
    I would love to know what idiot invested a million dollars into something with Smed's name on it. The funny thing is, he thinks putting his name on it will make people back it when more people will probably overlook it because of him. The game looks like something made in 1995 too which doesn't help. I would have expected something a lot better from someone with 30 years in the industry. Kind of sad that will all that experience he has to resort to internet panhandling to back a small project like that. No one really cares that Smed built SoE because he was one of the biggest reasons it crashed and burned. That kickstarter has less of chance than Pantheon did. Maybe when the kickstarter fails he will just pocket that million and expect everyone to make the game for free like his friend McQuaid did.

I literally went and backed it just for you.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Marius6870 said:
    Smed wants my money? LOL! After all the time and effort I put into SWG to have him butcher it? No thanks! And to anyone that says " Get over it" Sorry, I don't have to get over sh*t!

If you're gonna be pissed, at least be pissed at the right people. Everyone knows it was lucasarts that forced the issue, not Smed. He either did what they told him, or gets fired and they just find someone who would do it.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited January 2016
    Every time I see or hear about Smedley and his game "Hero's Song" I imagine this being the commercial for it;

https://youtu.be/4YV5jV3olWI
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • n3xxn3xx Member UncommonPosts: 36
    edited January 2016
    When they first launched everyone was super hyped for Wildstar and hating on ESO like crazy and having played both since beta it was very obvious to me that ESO was going to be the far better game, but everyone flocked to Wildstar cause of the way over hype raiding even though the combat and story and immersion and everything that makes a game good was missing... and look at it now :)
  • ArtificeVenatusArtificeVenatus Member UncommonPosts: 1,236
    nennafir said:

(3) Wildstar. LOL. Hopefully that will make the "old guard" and "just make it harder" contingent finally shut up. Of course it won't, however, because they live in a dream world.

Not sure how many times I have repeated this, but, here it goes again...

Wildstar is NOT an "old guard" MMORPG, as it is twitch / action combat (which appeals more to the current generation apparently), AND it is cartoony (again, not something wanted by that "old guard").

Had Wildstar had more (do note this "more" word, as it does not mean that Wildstar needed absolutely realistic graphics) realistic graphics AND a traditional-based combat system (as the traditional combat system has not been fully realized yet), Wildstar would have done FAR better.

That is what they get for not knowing their audience.

But YOU (and all the other "see Wildstar proves blah blah blah..." people) can continue your nonsense...
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    nennafir said:

(3) Wildstar. LOL. Hopefully that will make the "old guard" and "just make it harder" contingent finally shut up. Of course it won't, however, because they live in a dream world.

Not sure how many times I have repeated this, but, here it goes again...

Wildstar is NOT an "old guard" MMORPG, as it is twitch / action combat (which appeals more to the current generation apparently), AND it is cartoony (again, not something wanted by that "old guard").

Had Wildstar had more (do note this "more" word, as it does not mean that Wildstar needed absolutely realistic graphics) realistic graphics AND a traditional-based combat system (as the traditional combat system has not been fully realized yet), Wildstar would have done FAR better.

That is what they get for not knowing their audience.

But YOU (and all the other "see Wildstar proves blah blah blah..." people) can continue your nonsense...
    The fault in the perception that it would appeal to the 'old guard' was i think due to the nature of the raids etc. in the game, while totally ignoring that the nature of the combat, and the graphics in the game would keep the 'old guard' from playing the game in the first place, not that i think they were correct about the raids tbh as raiding generally isn't that popular, even among the 'old guard'
    The game was aimed squarely at a younger, twitch orientated, apparently cartoon loving audience, turns out that was a mistake of epic proportions, who knew :p
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Wizardry said:
    To sum up reading many opinions ,people only need be reminded that although i don't much like Smedley either,Everquest was the face of mmorgp gaming for a long time and although EQ2 was a buggy mess,it still was the highest standard for a mmorpg well beyond what Wow was doing.Point being no matter how much Smedley will digress he will always have a name in the industry.

I don't hate on WS not even in the slightest,i know very little of their team operations or it's  employees but gaming in general really is about timing,luck,IP,niche market,popularity example Blizzard.A LOT is about marketing WS did more than enough to gather attention and it did and imo it profited because of that attention.However after the fact ,you need a product and time has proven that an average product likely still fails in short order,you need a really good product.

Adding one more point,nostalgic does not make it GOOD,it is simply a reminder of the past.Smedley is trying to sell a very old used car.Old paint is old paint and old tech is old tech.When developers create new physics engines,new DX libraries ,new software programs ,it is to IMPROVE the industry.They don't sit there and think ok lets scrap all we have accomplished the last 15 years and digress back to 1995 because we believe  the tech is better.It not only is NOT better it also does not look better either.

So are you saying that if this game provokes feelings of nostalgia that:
    1)  A person can't enjoy it?
    2)  A person can't get their moneys work out of this game?
    3)  A person can't feel nostalgia and enjoy the game?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Funny, the most 'old guard' folks I know love cartoony graphics.  As long as the art style is well done and  coherent.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    2D game from Smedley? Not going anywhere, unless its to smartphones.
  • nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Hrimnir said:
    donger56 said:

I would love to know what idiot invested a million dollars into something with Smed's name on it. The funny thing is, he thinks putting his name on it will make people back it when more people will probably overlook it because of him. The game looks like something made in 1995 too which doesn't help. I would have expected something a lot better from someone with 30 years in the industry. Kind of sad that will all that experience he has to resort to internet panhandling to back a small project like that. No one really cares that Smed built SoE because he was one of the biggest reasons it crashed and burned. That kickstarter has less of chance than Pantheon did. Maybe when the kickstarter fails he will just pocket that million and expect everyone to make the game for free like his friend McQuaid did.

I literally went and backed it just for you.

In all honesty I think SOE under Smed had the fairest F2P/sub option in the industry. It's just the games themselves that didn't age well... that and Everquest Next never coming out killed the beast.
  • goosiegoosie Member UncommonPosts: 69
    $1.8M funding to develop a 2D MMO that hearkens back to something like Nexus: Kingdom of the the Winds shouldn't require a budget remotely close to that figure. I hope he breaks down the figures for backers as to why he needs this much funding, because it just reeks of a cash grab.
    goosie said:
    $1.8M funding to develop a 2D MMO that hearkens back to something like Nexus: Kingdom of the the Winds shouldn't require a budget remotely close to that figure. I hope he breaks down the figures for backers as to why he needs this much funding, because it just reeks of a cash grab.

where did you get 1.8 from?  It was 800k.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/herossong/heros-song?ref=nav_search

as of this post:

$136,118 pledged of $800,000 goal

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• goosiegoosie Member UncommonPosts: 69
    edited January 2016
    Hrimnir said:

where did you get 1.8 from?  It was 800k.https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/herossong/heros-song?ref=nav_searchas of this post:$136,118 pledged of $800,000 goal

"Pixelmage has already raised over $1M dollars in private investor funding and is hoping to raise an additional $800,000 by its Kickstarter campaign..."

Helps to watch the video and listen.
  • davezordavezor Member UncommonPosts: 17
    They just cancelled the kickstarter
    Don't be a dum dum.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

Featuring "Hero's Song".
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Bonez005Bonez005 Member UncommonPosts: 38
    I would play Hero's Song for sure. There is nothing at all wrong with 2d if the content is there, (Castlevania:SoTN vs every 3d Castlevania to follow being a prime example) and as for Smed, yeah you'd do well to get over it.. Butthurt SWG players, the game was already dead and threatening to shut the doors. The NGE, if anything, kept the lights on that much longer.

Wildstar, one of the better MMO's to come out recently IMO. I would have much preferred a traditional combat system myself, but there again, this is what happens when developers "listen to the community". The community doesn't know wtf they want. They only think they do until they don't two months later.
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

goosie said:

qft