Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bounty Gamers - What Are You Willing to Pay for Help? -

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageBounty Gamers - What Are You Willing to Pay for Help? -

A new site is now available called Bounty Gamers that, as the name implies, allows an exchange of real world dollars for assistance with troublesome parts of games. Players post bounties for the service required, such as getting through the newest WoW raid or assistance beating a troublesome part of a game.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    So now you guys are advertising an RMT site?

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Lame. Definitely a dark grey area of gaming ethic, but pff, as if something like this exists.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited January 2016
    jesteralways said:

Same tune, different day.We were sent a press release that seemed suited to open up an interesting discussion. Seriously, people need to get over the "you get paid to advertise" thing. It doesn't happen. It is merely a point of discussion.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Adjuvant1 said:
    Lame. Definitely a dark grey area of gaming ethic, but pff, as if something like this exists.

The sad part is that it DOES exist and in a thousand other places than this one. I'd have a much less difficult time wrapping my mind around this if the "bounty hunters" were all working free of charge or in exchange for some sort of in-game currency. I can live with that.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

I can see how this could make money.  But more then likely never will.  Shaiya had something similar where players advertised power leveling for gold.  Basically you paid them gold and they would power level you.  LOL might work because you basically pay someone to get your account to a higher pvp bracket.  It would probably be cheaper then buying an account or gold outright. 

@jesteralways get a grip man they are reporting news here

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Is there anything at all in MMO's that hasn't been monetized in one way or another ?
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 691

Agreed..

black777 said:

Agreed..
    I guess "discussion topic" is unclear? :anguished: 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    edited January 2016
    SBFord said:
    jesteralways said:

Same tune, different day.We were sent a press release that seemed suited to open discussion. Seriously, get over the "you get paid to advertise" thing. It doesn't happen. It is merely a point of discussion.
    You gave a banner and a link to the site, you realize that right?  You could of done a news story without it being so lucrative for them.

We know you need to make money but don't think we are dumb.  This is pretty damn blatant.
    scorpex-x said:
    SBFord said:
    jesteralways said:

Same tune, different day.We were sent a press release that seemed suited to open discussion. Seriously, get over the "you get paid to advertise" thing. It doesn't happen. It is merely a point of discussion.
    You gave a banner and a link to the site, you realize that right?  You could of done a news story without it being so lucrative for them.

We know you need to make money but don't think we are dumb.  This is pretty damn blatant.
    As we do with every single news piece and feature we put on the site for the last decade?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    Seems they are listing real in-game help -vs- give me your account info and let me rob you.

Dunno how much help people can really get from this, just following someone around that does everything for you.

Oh well, better option by far than i mentioned of the giving your account info out to people.
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    edited January 2016
    Nevermind I misunderstood the "service"

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Google is my bounty hunter for all games, recipes, directions, metric to standard exchange, theater locations, beer prices..... I see no need to have someone help me lose even more of my dwindling constructive reasoning abilities.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    DarLorkar said:
    Seems they are listing real in-game help -vs- give me your account info and let me rob you.

Dunno how much help people can really get from this, just following someone around that does everything for you.

Oh well, better option by far than i mentioned of the giving your account info out to people.

something like what this site try to sell, have been tried before, iirc there were a site called buy a friend or something along those lines - were more like a dating site for gamers though.
  • Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Why not just watch someone streaming a game if you're not going to bother with the challenge of content?

The sadness...
    -Chuckles
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    DMKano said:
    This has existed since Eq1 back in 1999 - maybe not as organized as a nice site - but people were paying for in-game services with RL cash forever.

Every MMO has this - and yes money buys an advantage in every game.

Always has, always will.

^Pretty much that.
    Lazy people will always keep RMT services in business.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    edited January 2016
    SBFord said:
    jesteralways said:

Same tune, different day.We were sent a press release that seemed suited to open up an interesting discussion. Seriously, people need to get over the "you get paid to advertise" thing. It doesn't happen. It is merely a point of discussion.

Who says anything about "paid advertisement" anyway? As I see it, this is RMT in sort of power leveling mould and you guys are kinda promoting their site. And "merely for discussion"? Why the link then?
  • macwoodmacwood Member UncommonPosts: 134
    mmorpg.com has hit a new low today  O.o
  • KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    The only part people are getting wound up about is the fact that real world money changes hands for this.

If they had put the focus on the free part that is mentioned above and treat the paid for service as an afterthought people wouldnt be so wound up about it.

The issue is that as games become more of a showcase for snowflakes the idea that some one can buy the same shinise that another person has worked for is an antithesis to the competitive side of gaming. The issue here is that games already cater to players of differing skill levels, and players who are not able to compete at the highest level feel like they are "missing" part of their purchase. They want to have the banners around their portrait, the titles after their character name or the shinies. So the Market is there.

Is it ethical, well only as much as any other secondary service is, Is it Ethical to own a dog and pay some one else to walk it for you? Sure, but its not exactly the same as there isnt a competition between players for bragging rights with this.

All in all the "Debate" is tenious, I mean on the one hand its pay to win, on the other its a secondary service, players have been buying mount runs in mmos for aslong as I can remember with in game currency, the only difference is, you now dont even need to play the game that much.

All in all, not something I would use, if I am not able to get something for my self, I dont want it, but I can see there is a niche that might go for it... after all, certain F2P companies have made entire games profitable out of this premise.
  • drakolasdrakolas Member UncommonPosts: 45
    This is essentially advertising powerleveling services. Why?
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    SBFord said:
    Adjuvant1 said:

The sad part is that it DOES exist and in a thousand other places than this one. I'd have a much less difficult time wrapping my mind around this if the "bounty hunters" were all working free of charge or in exchange for some sort of in-game currency. I can live with that.
    "Gaming ethic" was the ideal which I jokingly posited might not exist. I realize "pay for powerlevel" etc has existed. In games, I do "my own work", and I consider this to be ethical, but it's admittedly not any conventionally shared concept.

A large part of the enjoyment of any "game" to me is success and failure based on my own merits, within the parameters and constraints of the "games' creators". I... have no idea what else there is to enjoy about a mmo... maybe being "powerful" when in real life one feels so "powerless"... There are plenty of ways to "cheat" in real life, and hey, in a perverse way that sort of makes sense. Translated into gaming, though, it's just...sad.

They're just games.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    edited January 2016
    good example of what's wrong with today's MMO

letting another person play your MMO, because all that matters to you is not the community, or lore, or adventure, or engaging gameplay, but getting to max level as fast as possible with the help of some shady site that will probably steal your CC info

these sites are an extension of the F2P model, where all that matters is personal progress, and you are just a peon with a credit card in a stupid rat race

and the fact this is even tolerated in today's MMO, is because today's MMO no longer have a working community, you are not a persona, you are a number with a CC card, and you are judged within the game, not by your actions, but by how much you spend with your VISA card
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    It's a gray area in that if used to, say, boost one's arena rating in WoW, you could very well find yourself on the other end of a ban hammer.  The fact that you are using real world money to do so makes it pretty much black and white... you're intent is to circumvent the game mechanics, which is against the EULA.

How is this any different than selling gold for real world money?  Or buying a decked out toon for real world money? 
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    I will add, the reason these "Buy a Friend" sites exist, is because there is no community in today's MMO. I have 60 guildies in EQ who will jump through a fire for me.
  • sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Paying for help while playing a game is nothing new, let's go back 30 odd years to the days of the Spectrum 48k, games like Avalon / Pyracurse / Fairlight etc. Help was advertised for these games in all the magazines you just had to ring a premium rate number and they would tell you what to do.
    By 1987 - 1990 with the likes of the Amiga 500/ Atari st / 386 and 486 every mag had at least 4-5 pages of these adds.

Rmt stinks it always has, but what smells even more is when a well known mmo site starts to advertise them.