Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 HoT or ESO help decide please

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I haven't played GW2 since before going F2P. I have tried ESO. I couldn't get into ESO because the UI felt unwieldy. But the character creation and crafting seems to have me wanting to try again.

GW2. It was a decent game, I've enjoyed it a lot in the past. I've been paying attention to the forums regarding HoT and it's been a very mixed bag. So for now, I've stayed away. In the end, I'll get it when it's on sale, I guess. From what I can tell, not having played HoT yet, it's going to be one of those things where if you liked GW2, then HoT will be enjoyable, if you didn't, HoT won't change that for you.
    Well, to some degree. PvP wise are we waiting for the new WvW patch, WvW been pretty bad since HoT launched. But anyone who enjoyed zones like Silver marches will probably love HoT.

Personally I think that if you enjoy harder PvE you should get it now before they nerf it down (like they did several times in the original game). If you want it easier or you prefer PvP then you can wait until you get it cheap.
  • growillgrowill Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Tbh I never understood why people that like pve play gw2. It's something that sometimes I happen to wonder about and never found an answer.

I'm no pve player and, given the statement above you can guess where i'm at about gw2...
    I don't personally like ESO too much but if you love the single player elder scrolls games I think you will enjoy that one. To some extent it could be considered another elder scrolls chapter. Most of the time it even feels like a single player game (talking about questing/pve). Ofc the gameplay is very different from skyrim but the heart of the game I think it feels very similar.
  • APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    I played ESO for 75 hours and played GW2 for more than 4k hours. With that said, I truly enjoy GW2 far more than I did with ESO. 

For one thing, GW2 is far more bang for your buck. I've barely spent money on GW2 besides purchasing the recent expansion pack and extra bag slots. Once they get back to living story season 3, expect new updates like every 2 weeks. 

I've been personally enjoying HOT. I don't see much problem with it besides having a hard time traveling and finding things.

• hunt55511hunt55511 Member UncommonPosts: 25
    ESO > HoT alone. I would say GW2 if you didn't already have the base game, but HoT doesn't add enough to compare to the ENTIRETY OF ESO. 
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    growill said:
    Tbh I never understood why people that like pve play gw2. It's something that sometimes I happen to wonder about and never found an answer.

I'm no pve player and, given the statement above you can guess where i'm at about gw2...
    I don't personally like ESO too much but if you love the single player elder scrolls games I think you will enjoy that one. To some extent it could be considered another elder scrolls chapter. Most of the time it even feels like a single player game (talking about questing/pve). Ofc the gameplay is very different from skyrim but the heart of the game I think it feels very similar.
    The reason most PvE player enjoys GW2 is that you usually work together with other players when you PvE. ESO is mainly about running quests mainly alone and as you say have it a lot of solofocus.

If you want to take down a huge dragon with another 80 or so players there is just one game with gameplay like that: GW2. Of course huge events like that do tend to be a bit zergy as any other kind of gameplay with that many players.

But that is mainly while people PvE GW2, you play among other players no matter if you are grouped with them or not. Also, there is no loot or kill stealing in GW2.

So basically it all depends on how you like to play, if you want something with soloing and some grouped dungeons you go for ESO, if you want something that feels more massive you go for GW2.

And since the base game of GW2 is free it is worth trying it out before getting HOT or ESO. While HOT is harder and have more focus on larger events if you don't like the basegame you should of course get ESO instead. There is no real point to get HOT from the start, you basically need a lvl 80 anyways unless you plan to play a revenant and even if you a little bit of trying the game certainly doesn't hurt.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    APThug said:
    I played ESO for 75 hours and played GW2 for more than 4k hours. With that said, I truly enjoy GW2 far more than I did with ESO. 

For one thing, GW2 is far more bang for your buck. I've barely spent money on GW2 besides purchasing the recent expansion pack and extra bag slots. Once they get back to living story season 3, expect new updates like every 2 weeks. 

I've been personally enjoying HOT. I don't see much problem with it besides having a hard time traveling and finding things.
    $20 for a whole new game or $50 for an expansion. There is no way that HoT is more "bang for your buck" than buying ESO for $20 if you already have GW2. Its not even remotely close.

If the OP didn't already have GW2 and was just asking should I get ESO or the full paid version of GW2, it would be a different story- in that case HoT is probably better value since you get complete access to all the game's content, while ESO is just the base game and you then have to pay for expansions.

They are both amazing games though so well worth picking them up when on sale.

• CobaneCobane Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Go to Rift much better than both of these games.
    Cobane said:
    Go to Rift much better than both of these games.
    Haha, good to have a bit of comedy in my day, thanks.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Looking at your post definitely go with GW2.  Then later you can pickup ESO.  I have played and enjoyed both but there is a chance you won't like ESO.  So go with the sure thing you will like GW2 but might like ESO.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    ESO is about as close as an MMO can get to the single player Elder Scrolls games. There's lots of stuff to do and places to explore. I do wish they'd gone with a classless advancement system, but there's a lot of flexibility with what's available. 

I can't get into GW2. I just can't. It's just so tedious wandering around doing random events with no sense of purpose or permanency, and without class roles dungeons are just a complete fuster cluck of everybody running around trying to DPS. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Tough call. GW2 may come down in price; ESO will probably have a version with the DLC included at some point - at a higher price than it is now of course. Today however ..... err both are slick, both will come down to personal choice and cost.

Have you looked at other Humble Bundles / Humble Bundle's winter sale? There are some amazing / brilliant "older" games at e.g. $1 - along with newer games (including TESO) with significant discounts. And some e.g. Dark Souls II can also be played in co-op mode. Worth checking out EA's Origin store as well as they do do free games and deals.

Tough.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'd say GW2, HoT to get the Elite for your character, then just have fun.  Not that gear dependent, fun combat land and underwater, helpful player-base.  Nice size inventory, sell to auction house from anywhere.  

ESO is fun but it's still all over the place and you never know what the next update will change in the game.  Expensive to play around with your talent trees.  Fantastic graphics, low bug fixing priority.  But if you love Skyrim give ESO a go. Lots of good pc mods. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    edited January 2016
    I picked up ESO over christmas , saw it for sale at Game for a tenner and I never got past the tutorial in beta, hated it. And I've been playing Elder Scrolls games since Arena first came out.

I got past the tutorial and arrived in Daggerfall, did a few more hours and haven't played since. I hate it. I just don't seem to be able to get into it at all. I think the problem is that I always heavily mod ES games so they look much better than standard versions. ESO looks about as good as Skyrim on PC and I had about 70+ mods installed. The difference is very noticable.

I fired up GW2 the other day, after an extended absence, and played away quite happily for several hours. Buy HoT, if you like GW2. Personally, I'd suggest you leave ESO for another time. It just makes sense to play what you like instead of trying something you're not sure of. You can always go back and try ESO later, after you play the crap out of HoT.
    I picked up ESO over christmas , saw it for sale at Game for a tenner and I never got past the tutorial in beta, hated it. And I've been playing Elder Scrolls games since Arena first came out.

I got past the tutorial and arrived in Daggerfall, did a few more hours and haven't played since. I hate it. I just don't seem to be able to get into it at all. I think the problem is that I always heavily mod ES games so they look much better than standard versions. ESO looks about as good as Skyrim on PC and I had about 70+ mods installed. The difference is very noticable.

I fired up GW2 the other day, after an extended absence, and played away quite happily for several hours. Buy HoT, if you like GW2. Personally, I'd suggest you leave ESO for another time. It just makes sense to play what you like instead of trying something you're not sure of. You can always go back and try ESO later, after you play the crap out of HoT.
    I find this to be quite a weird post. The start of GW2 is actually very boring, while ESO basically throws you straight into the action and has quite a dynamic and fun introduction. GW2 then picks up later on with its excellent pvp systems and dynamic events in pve.

I just cannot imagine how someone would honestly think the start of GW2 is particularly good, especially after they dumbed it down. The best thing about the start of GW2 is that I can skip most of it and get straight into spvp.
  • stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    ESO. Not even a contest. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    edited January 2016
    YashaX said:
    $20 for a whole new game or $50 for an expansion. There is no way that HoT is more "bang for your buck" than buying ESO for $20 if you already have GW2. Its not even remotely close.

You can get HoT for $30.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

YashaX said:

I just cannot imagine how someone would honestly think the start of GW2 is particularly good, especially after they dumbed it down. The best thing about the start of GW2 is that I can skip most of it and get straight into spvp.
    It is very easy.

You are tossed right in a fight with a big boss.
    The combat feels good, especially if you are used at having to stop to use a bow or cast spells.
    The first time a dynamic event pop-up and there is 5 or 6 people alongside you, it feels very good.
    The world is gorgeous.
    Everything is new.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• RyuushimaRyuushima Member UncommonPosts: 63
    blade and soul
    YashaX said:

I find this to be quite a weird post. The start of GW2 is actually very boring, while ESO basically throws you straight into the action and has quite a dynamic and fun introduction. GW2 then picks up later on with its excellent pvp systems and dynamic events in pve.

I felt exactly the opposite for those two games.
    Actually, saying that GW2 doesn't throw you straight into the action is a blatant lie... during the intro you already fight a mini boss mob and become the hero of the day.
    I love GW2, probably my favorite mmo. But the start is very boring compared to the start of ESO, which is actually one part it pulls off rather well.

"Mini-boss" and "action" is a rather romantic way to describe that almost impossible to lose against non-moving mob at the end of the intro and  the spamming of one or two skills. ESO's opening feels more like a single player rpg- it gives a sense of tension and mystery, while GW2's doesn't really do justice to the depth of the rest of the game.
  • Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    I wasnt a fan of ESO, at least not when I played it. Mostly because I found the classes boring, the usual MMO questing formula is tiring already and I found myself back to skipping dialogue, and general gameplay to be repetitive.

Id stick with GW2 personally, but its more a case of what you like more. Theyre very different games.
  • HaralinHaralin Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Buy ESO now and HoT in a Sale
  • KnightsoulKnightsoul Member UncommonPosts: 31
    YashaX said:

You can get HoT for $30.
    True: I've bought HoT few days ago for 26 euros (ebay cdkey seller).

• etharnetharn Member UncommonPosts: 152
    I suggest ESO because of the realistic looking medieval weapons and armor as well as the overall story that comes with a Elder Scroll game. 

A man who fears nothing is a man who loves nothing; and if you love nothing, what joy is there in your life?

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited February 2016
    People seem to forget that buying ESO alone wont give you the full game. YOu have to buy all the DLCs which add up to a full priced game on top of the base ESO price. So yeah, you can either buy HoTs and get the full game, or buy ESO and then all the DLCs to get the full game. 

IMO both area good deals if you like the games, but ESO scores you a higher price for the full experience. I decided to HoTs over the DLCs of ESO, but will buy them some time in the future as well.

I would say buy whichever game picks your interest the most, then get the other game later on sale. Cant go wrong with either of the two, but nobody else can say what picks your interest. Your choice.

• jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Lots of good advice here; If this helps, both games are better than they were at launch.  ESO has seem many improvements making it more like a real ESO game in my opinion and HOT is a great expansion.  I prefer ESO overall.

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box