Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com : General : MMOFTW - Smedley's Got a Brand New Game

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2016 in Videos Discussion

imageMMORPG.com : General : MMOFTW - Smedley's Got a Brand New Game

Free MMORPG List and MMO Games at MMORPG.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    Great Video! Looking forward to Black Desert
  • perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    Interesting to hear about Patrick Rothfuss. Very good author. With him, Sanderson, and Butcher I should be set for years.
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Smed being back, is "Brighter news", Bill??... Thats like being happy about the return of the Black Death... ^^
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Thanks for your opinion on Wildstar's future. I have to agree, but its always sad to see a western MMORPG go down.

• donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    I would love to know what idiot invested a million dollars into something with Smed's name on it. The funny thing is, he thinks putting his name on it will make people back it when more people will probably overlook it because of him. The game looks like something made in 1995 too which doesn't help. I would have expected something a lot better from someone with 30 years in the industry. Kind of sad that will all that experience he has to resort to internet panhandling to back a small project like that. No one really cares that Smed built SoE because he was one of the biggest reasons it crashed and burned. That kickstarter has less of chance than Pantheon did. Maybe when the kickstarter fails he will just pocket that million and expect everyone to make the game for free like his friend McQuaid did.
  • nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313
    (1) Who was taking care of the kids? Your wife hopefully, so that you weren't abandoning them to record something? If so, thank your wife. If no one was taking care of them, shame on you...

(2) Unlike most I like Smedley, but the new kickstarter seems less than inspiring. If I donate money, I can apparently get to design some NPCs (subject to approval) hom hum... I have been burned enough on kickistarters that this doesn't really motivate me.

(3) Wildstar. LOL. Hopefully that will make the "old guard" and "just make it harder" contingent finally shut up. Of course it won't, however, because they live in a dream world.

(4) Black desert online.
    http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/1425-pve-server/&page=19
    Wake me up when they get a pve server. Gorgeous graphics but open world pvp in mmos is just stupid. Fighting games, hell yeah! That is skill. FPS game, sure go for it. Open world MMOs, however, are just about your number of friends and griefing. It is basically the lowest skill common denominator for pvp, and only really hopeless people want to do it.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    nennafir said:
    (1) Who was taking care of the kids? Your wife hopefully, so that you weren't abandoning them to record something? If so, thank your wife. If no one was taking care of them, shame on you...

One kid, and wife was home. And even if she wasn't, I'm in the same room as the kiddo. :)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

BillMurphy said:

nennafir said:

One kid, and wife was home. And even if she wasn't, I'm in the same room as the kiddo. :)

You should have handed the mic over to your kid for the last few seconds of recording... that would have been an awesome outro! :)

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Volgore said:
    BillMurphy said:

You should have handed the mic over to your kid for the last few seconds of recording... that would have been an awesome outro! :)
    He was too busy making a mess with his crane truck and matchbox cars... couldn't be bothered. Toddlers, so self-absorbed. 

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Have to say I love the art in Hero's Song. So reminiscent of games like Zelda LTTP. Too bad Smedley is involved. If he is involved in the creative direction or monetization, it will be a disaster.

Volgore said:
    BillMurphy said:

He was too busy making a mess with his crane truck and matchbox cars... couldn't be bothered. Toddlers, so self-absorbed. 
    Don't worry, they grow up so fast that soon the both of you will share interest in the same toys :)

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    edited January 2016
    nennafir said:

(2) Unlike most I like Smedley, but the new kickstarter seems less than inspiring. If I donate money, I can apparently get to design some NPCs (subject to approval) hom hum... I have been burned enough on kickistarters that this doesn't really motivate me.

(3) Wildstar. LOL. Hopefully that will make the "old guard" and "just make it harder" contingent finally shut up. Of course it won't, however, because they live in a dream world.

(4) Black desert online.
    Wake me up when they get a pve server. Gorgeous graphics but open world pvp in mmos is just stupid. Fighting games, hell yeah! That is skill. FPS game, sure go for it. Open world MMOs, however, are just about your number of friends and griefing. It is basically the lowest skill common denominator for pvp, and only really hopeless people want to do it.
    Apparently today is 'Incredibly Biased Opinion' day. Super. 

1. I'm sure Bill is fully competent enough to take care of his child, but why this is your business is beyond me. Shame on you for interfering! :dizzy: 

2. That's the great thing about kick starters. You don't have to invest in them if it doesn't interest you. I'm curious to know what bad investment decisions you've made, and whether or not your time table for completion is simply unrealistic. That's another discussion though.

3. This is just sad. It's understandable and fine if you don't enjoy something, but there are obviously players who care about this game. There are developers who put blood, sweat, and tears into making this game. Yet, you're basically saying that those who do, don't deserve a voice. They don't deserve hope that their game will be successful in the future. That's just sad. 

4. Oh the ole 'I hate PvP in MMOs' topic. No point in beating that dead horse, but your last sentence is so far from reality, you literally blew my mind. PvP is literally the definition of skill vs other players. Maybe you grew up in the era of wow, but some of us remember skill based PvP games such as UO. A true skill-based PvP game, and it worked. But good news for you! There are literally tons of games designed without this feature that you can enjoy. So pick one and go enjoy it. We 'hopeless' people will be polishing up our skills, so when the next great PvP game comes out, we'll be ready.

Cheers!
  • barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618
    edited January 2016
    I see plenty of people on MMORPG forums griping about Wildstar, but I like it, and I see a lot of people playing it. Too bad it looks like it's going to crash & burn.

Smeds Hero Song. I've already stated my opinion, and it's not so great. However, after/if it comes out, there's a chance I might get it, depending on a few things but only if they don't screw those up too.

Other than that, there are things to look forward to this year it seems.

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• MouzziMouzzi Member CommonPosts: 8
    I just started to play Wildstar from last two days, and it gave me some good time, its really a nice game. Im so sad now to know about the condition of this game... :(
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    I think Smed. has forgotten what decade it is. Black Desert has my interest, can't wait to see it launch.

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    Dude. Cut your background noise when you record.

Like this was the worst video my tv ever experienced.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    For all the coverage this site gives to the abject failure that is Smedley, it makes a person think that Smed must have some heavyweight blackmail material.

Nothing that guy has done in years warrants any attention (except getting thrown out of the company he founded, which was both deserved and funny).

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Sounds like your son is interested in Black Desert launch day also!

Hard for me to believe this 2D open world game will be popular.

I've been playing ESO since early December now and have heard about "animation cancelling" but still don't really understand what it really means. Maybe that is a good thing. I only play PvE so maybe this only affects PvP players. If I knew what it was maybe I wouldn't be enjoying the game as much. I'm thinking of Wiley Coyote being handed a book on gravity and only then plummeting to Earth. In my case ignorance is bliss, I suppose.
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    So what. Most of the gaming population hate him.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Been out the loop for a bit due to my current work location. Will casually look at B&S. Shame about Wildstar since personally I think it's a good game and can't see why a couple million people wouldn't feel the same. Smedley no comment. Will ignore the game til a week before launch as I do with most Kickstarters. Blackdesert looks fun but as a person who will either keep getting ganked or go around with a group of people ganking others that's not really the type of game I'm after right now.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370
    edited January 2016
    Smed's game looks interesting. I'm not investing in anything, mind you, but at least it's more original than a lot of what we've seen lately. Not big on pixel graphics, so I'll likely pass even IF it actually launches, but I wish him all the best non the less.

Even though I could never get into it, I hate to see Wildstar going down. There were some big improvements made, and it still has potential. I expect that budget cuts and mass layoffs at a minimum if not outright closure will kill any steam it managed to build over the last few months though. Such a shame to see.

BDO is just not my thing. MMO style PvP irritates me more than anything, so I tend to avoid it except in small doses. This one is just too focused on it for me to spend more than a passing glance on it. Still though, I hope it provides the haven that all of our PvP crowd wants. Visually though, it looks amazing, and who knows? Maybe future expansions and updates will open it up to a broader audience.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    mcrippins said:
    nennafir said:

(4) Black desert online.
    Apparently today is 'Incredibly Biased Opinion' day. Super. 

1. I'm sure Bill is fully competent enough to take care of his child, but why this is your business is beyond me. Shame on you for interfering! :dizzy: 

2. That's the great thing about kick starters. You don't have to invest in them if it doesn't interest you. I'm curious to know what bad investment decisions you've made, and whether or not your time table for completion is simply unrealistic. That's another discussion though.

3. This is just sad. It's understandable and fine if you don't enjoy something, but there are obviously players who care about this game. There are developers who put blood, sweat, and tears into making this game. Yet, you're basically saying that those who do, don't deserve a voice. They don't deserve hope that their game will be successful in the future. That's just sad. 

4. Oh the ole 'I hate PvP in MMOs' topic. No point in beating that dead horse, but your last sentence is so far from reality, you literally blew my mind. PvP is literally the definition of skill vs other players. Maybe you grew up in the era of wow, but some of us remember skill based PvP games such as UO. A true skill-based PvP game, and it worked. But good news for you! There are literally tons of games designed without this feature that you can enjoy. So pick one and go enjoy it. We 'hopeless' people will be polishing up our skills, so when the next great PvP game comes out, we'll be ready.

Cheers!
    The biggest problem with open world MMO's that have PVP is usually the level disparity, the problem being is that inevitably, it becomes high level players ganking lowbies, because its fun. If there were a mechanic in place that downlevelled players in low level areas, the same way that it does in SW:TOR then you can be very sure those selfsame high level players will complain that they no longer have a level advantage in PVP, of course they wouldn't put their arguments in that frame, but that would be the gist of the complaint, it would also unsurprisingly enough, reduce a significant number of said PVP'ers desire to actually PVP, at least not without a numerical advantage, because you know, ganking isn't fun if its a fair fight. :p
  • RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    So Smedley and Patrick making a game together. Calling it now, it will never release or it will be out in lets say 10 years judging by the pace of how their work.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Is this another game "SWG veterans finally can come home" to?

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• vectrexevovectrexevo Member UncommonPosts: 167
    1. I'm sure Bill is fully competent enough to take care of his child, but why this is your business is beyond me. Shame on you for interfering!

I agree to this ^^