Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What game has the best Pet Class and why?

124»

Comments

• RykerRyker Member UncommonPosts: 207
    Star Wars Galaxy Creature Handler and Anarchy online Metaphysicist are the best pet classes I have played.
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Flyte27 said:

I guess I somewhat enjoyed having to agonize over my choice knowing it will have a big impact on the character and I'd be locked into it unless I wanted to start over.

locking into skill choices has nothing to do with a point here and a point there boring skill trees. Blizz could have locked down skill choices, only that they chose not to do so.

OTOH, i have the opposite view. It is silly to lock down skill choices so players are forced to play the first build they come up with.

D3 is so interesting, to me, precisely because you can explore builds to no end. And each season the meta change. Heck, i won't be back for D3, even with its fabulous combat, if not for the changes in meta. Playing the same build for months (or even just weeks) is boring. 

To me, games should have no respec costs, and let you explore. Luckily most games i like have that. 
    You are welcome to your opinion. 

Obviously I enjoyed Diablo 1 and 2 a lot more so I'll stick with the system they offered.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Flyte27 said:
    Flyte27 said:

I guess I somewhat enjoyed having to agonize over my choice knowing it will have a big impact on the character and I'd be locked into it unless I wanted to start over.

locking into skill choices has nothing to do with a point here and a point there boring skill trees. Blizz could have locked down skill choices, only that they chose not to do so.

OTOH, i have the opposite view. It is silly to lock down skill choices so players are forced to play the first build they come up with.

D3 is so interesting, to me, precisely because you can explore builds to no end. And each season the meta change. Heck, i won't be back for D3, even with its fabulous combat, if not for the changes in meta. Playing the same build for months (or even just weeks) is boring. 

To me, games should have no respec costs, and let you explore. Luckily most games i like have that. 

Obviously I enjoyed Diablo 1 and 2 a lot more so I'll stick with the system they offered.
    Of course you are .. and you are entitled to your opinions.

But i don't see a problem pointing out why I think the D3 system is superior. You are welcome to point out why you do like the one-point-here-one-point-there system more than actual game mechanics choices, and why you like to be locked down, and not able to explore builds.
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Flyte27 said:
    Flyte27 said:

Of course you are .. and you are entitled to your opinions.

But i don't see a problem pointing out why I think the D3 system is superior. You are welcome to point out why you do like the one-point-here-one-point-there system more than actual game mechanics choices, and why you like to be locked down, and not able to explore builds.
    I guess it's more exciting to know if you make the wrong choice you have to start over again.  There is something at stake.  If you can just switch around willy nilly then there is little excitement in building the character in the first place.  You can still explore builds.  You just have to start over again.  I often would sit for hours going over what to put points into and it was fun for me.  It was mostly figuring out how many points you had to spend in total and then going through different tress and putting points into them.  Not all abilities had the same point investment.  It was like World of Warcraft originally was.  You had three trees and you could invest in talents in any of them.  That kind of play is gone from Warcraft though.  Now you have to choose tank, healer, or DPS no matter what class you pick.  You can't blend the three together for a jack of all trades or two of them for a less specialized build.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Flyte27 said:

I guess it's more exciting to know if you make the wrong choice you have to start over again.  There is something at stake.  
    You are excited to replay the same game again if you make the wrong choice?

I thought exploring (new builds) is exciting. I guess that does not apply to everything for this group. People here always amaze me with so many different ... even extreme ... preferences. I don't play games for artificially created stakes .. i play it for combat, and exploration of meta .. that is fun for me.

But hey, whatever float your boat is cool. We clearly do not play the same games. Not even WOW would lock people down because of choices early in the game. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    If you never played the BST from FFXI you are not allowed an opinion ....:P
    J/k of course you have an opinion,i just won't accept it lmao.

Seriously though you need to set criteria when raising a question because the term BEST can mean a billion different things to millions of different gamer's.I often mention i don';t like many reviews because they are so full of VAGUE statements that really mean nothing.

I could simplify my answer by stating that i bet the FFXI Beastmaster can do anything these other pet classes can do and more.What game was it GW2,where the Ranger has a pet but it has ZERO commands lol,it is just an automated pet ...sigh.Yet someone would likely try and tell me GW2 has a great pet class,right before i killed him your honor.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Ultima Online, because you can have a lot of different pets for different things and have a lot of stable slots. *ducks*

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    edited January 2016
    I liked meta-physic in Anarchy Online a lot. Other than that Everquest/eq2/vanguard. Didn't asherons call 2 have an engineer ?

I've almost always had a beastlord on EQ1, still to this day I play him sometimes.
  • netglennetglen Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Utinni said:
    I liked meta-physic in Anarchy Online a lot. Other than that Everquest/eq2/vanguard. Didn't asherons call 2 have an engineer ? I've almost always had a beastlord on EQ1, still to this day I play him sometimes.
    I've only played a little of AC2, but the one class that I played for a while was the Engineer. It's an odd class where you build non-mobile turrets. You dual wield wrenches and you make adjustments to the turret during combat when you issue commands. A non-mobile pet class is sort of lame IMHO. In fact during the end game while I played, players team up to roam around some island so Engineers are never invited.
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Reizla said:
    I'd say EQ(2) BeastLord class for obvious reasons when looking at the name...

I'd also say Lineage II (pre-GoD!) for every player that has managed to raise his wolf past level 55 and changed it into a Great Wolf. That thing was an awesome DPS machine and at levels 65 and 75 it gained an extra skill that made it rock even more.

EQ2 Beastlord has warders. They are not the tank but either boost DPS or defense. Using a pet and not fighting is just not the way to play one. Correctly played the BL is a OP killing machine.
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.