Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Steam is completely flooded with MS-DOS games... It's like sifting through a giant trash compactor.

Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550
So I go on Steam to find a new game to play, some kind of adventure, rpg, or something.  I click RPG, it displays 52,000 games, 99.9% of which have amazing cover pictures, then you click in to see something with pre-runescape graphics.  Games that look like they were designed for an original ATARI.  I have to go through page after page after page after page clicking into trash games to try to find ones that even look like they were developed using programming language post-2004.  Is there some way I can hide all the games that are junk on Steam so that I can see quality games?

Advice, thanks.

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Never had that problem, sure there is a shed load of rpgmaker rubbish in there, but, just select top sellers instead of new releases or whatever, sounds like your doing something wrong tbh.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    OP:

if you do that then 7 Day to Die will get hidden from you as well

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• zasdzasd Member UncommonPosts: 45
    I wish Gamers were not so distracted by graphics... Good graphics do not a good game make! 
  • tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363
    My advice would be to use game sites to find games, like IGN.com or metacritic.com. They dont give you the truth, but I use them to sort out the interesting from the trash.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986

I agree it is a problem, some sort of indie tag would be nice. But then I would have to do a separate search of indie games. :)

This is also a problem with Metacritic which offers no difference between a 80 scoring AAA and a 80 scoring indie.

A tag would be useful, even if you have to do two searches, I tend to look for different things in indie games anyway so good to group them.

• Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Undertale is an incredible game with a wonderful soundtrack and narrative. In fact the narrative is the first in years that makes your choices matter, your decisions on the gameplay level decide the ending and dialogue. 

Even triple A studios like Bioware can't manage that, they struggle to write a narrative that would be even barely stimulating. 

But if you want pretty graphics, Call of Duty and Gears of War are calling.

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Scot said:

I agree it is a problem, some sort of indie tag would be nice. But then I would have to do a separate search of indie games. :)

This is also a problem with Metacritic which offers no difference between a 80 scoring AAA and a 80 scoring indie.

A tag would be useful, even if you have to do two searches, I tend to look for different things in indie games anyway so good to group them.

Here is the problem with that

Smooth Operator is an indie game
    Elite Dangerous is an indie game

If you filter out indie in hopes of not seeing 8bit graphics you will miss out on some of the best non-8bit games ever made like Kerbal Space Program, 7 Days to Die and Elite Dangerous

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Yes I agree with OP 100%. This whole Hipster "less bits is good" crap is silly. I rarely even use Steam anymore as far as looking for new games. It is turning into a high school programming lab site. My "recommended" games list is 99.9% full of shit I wouldn't give a first glance at.

But as @SEANMCAD said you have to be careful throwing out "indie" titles because they are not all trash. Indie does not equal 16bit or lower basement-Dev games.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• RedAlert539RedAlert539 Member UncommonPosts: 115
    The fact that you reject a whole bunch of games as "trash" just beacuse they don't have post-2004 graphics indicates that the only problem is with you and your narrow minded vision as a gamer and not with Steam. But i understand you, afterall will leave in the era of CoD and LoL dynasty.
    edited January 2016
    The fact that you reject a whole bunch of games as "trash" just beacuse they don't have post-2004 graphics indicates that the only problem is with you and your narrow minded vision as a gamer and not with Steam. But i understand you, afterall will leave in the era of CoD and LoL dynasty.
    Are you enjoying those art exhibitions that only show grade school paintings? Because all those narrow minded artists like Rembrandt and Van Gogh and that whole Renaissance period was so over the top. Who needs visual stimulation and realism ya know. 

I lived through the 8bit and beyond era, I don't want to go through that again.Yes Steam is an issue. Money talks, quality walks there. BTW I despise CoD (other than the WW2 ones) and will not touch a MOBA with a stolen mouse (that is the same shit I am talking about, garbage games). Way to generalize.

SELF-EDIT: Labels can hurt. Sorry.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

bartoni33 said:
    Howdy Hipster! B) Are you enjoying those art exhibitions that only show grade school paintings? Because all those narrow minded artists like Rembrandt and Van Gogh and that whole Renaissance period was so over the top. Who needs visual stimulation and realism ya know. 

I lived through the 8bit and beyond era, I don't want to go through that again.Yes Steam is an issue. Money talks, quality walks there. BTW I despise CoD (other than the WW2 ones) and will not touch a MOBA with a stolen mouse (that is the same shit I am talking about, garbage games). Way to generalize.
    Ok buddy, i want you to slowly re-read what you wrote and then you might want to re-eavaluate your definitions of "hipster" and "generalization". But i doubt you will, and the fact that you brought up Rembrandt and Van Gogh in this discussion shows that you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Not to mention that you failed completely to understand what my point was. It's ok to have your own opinion, but by being the same thing that you accuse others to be? Yeah, not helping your cause.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited January 2016
    Dude it's crazy isn't it? People who play those games call themselves retro gamers. I met a 21 year old who freaking loves side scrolers. Those games are being made for him and people like him. I equate it to people who play mobile games. I can't do it... I'm not playing something that looks like something I played 30 years ago! /endrant

to answer your quest, no you can't I tried a few weeks ago...
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    edited January 2016
    bartoni33 said:
    Howdy Hipster! B) Are you enjoying those art exhibitions that only show grade school paintings? Because all those narrow minded artists like Rembrandt and Van Gogh and that whole Renaissance period was so over the top. Who needs visual stimulation and realism ya know. 

Ok buddy, i want you to slowly re-read what you wrote and then you might want to re-eavaluate your definitions of "hipster" and "generalization". But i doubt you will, and the fact that you brought up Rembrandt and Van Gogh in this discussion shows that you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Not to mention that you failed completely to understand what my point was. It's ok to have your own opinion, but by being the same thing that you accuse others to be? Yeah, not helping your cause.
    Thanks pal!

First off I did edit my post right before you posted so I agree I was wrong with the "Hipster" thing. Again sorry.

Let me try again:

OP is 100% right. Steam is full of shitty looking games that may or may not be good. Blocky-looking games are the FOTM/Y it seems. It doesn't hurt that they are also easier to make (looking at you RPG-Maker) and cheaper to make also, bringing more cash in for everyone involved. But bleeding-edge tech can make great games too. THAT is where the focus should be. People don't buy gaming rigs to play just Atari-level games.

Steam is forcing Minecraft-like games on its users way too much. Users should be able to choose what quality of games are chosen for them to see. That is all OP is saying and I agree.

As far as "narrow minded" is concerned I will admit OP is kinda looking that way TBPO. I do have a few Super Nintendo looking games in my Steam library that are good. But my god Steam is pushing that shit way too hard as opposed to newer looking games.

@RedAlert539 I hope my post meets your approval! <3

EDIT: After re-reading your initial post I see that you weren't even referring to me at all. That your post was meant for OP. It's late/early and I'm tired/delusional from lack of sleep. I would just delete all of my posts to you but I hate when other people do that because I want to be a part of the drama. That is what this site is for right?

bcbully said:
    Dude it's crazy isn't it? People who play those games call themselves retro gamers. I met a 21 year old who freaking loves side scrolers. Those games are being made for him and people like him. I equate it to people who play mobile games. I can't do it... I'm not playing something that looks like something I played 30 years ago! /endrant

to answer your quest, no you can't I tried a few weeks ago...
    Yeah in my personal experience with an admittedly small sample size it seems that the retro craze is mainly in the teen to late 20s area. Those of us who lived through the retro age are not as willing to go back, although I will say I am very happy that the FF series is coming back to modern PC gaming. Go Go FF Tactics!

bartoni33 said:
    bartoni33 said:

Thanks pal!

First off I did edit my post right before you posted so I agree I was wrong with the "Hipster" thing. Again sorry.

Let me try again:

OP is 100% right. Steam is full of shitty looking games that may or may not be good. Blocky-looking games are the FOTM/Y it seems. It doesn't hurt that they are also easier to make (looking at you RPG-Maker) and cheaper to make also, bringing more cash in for everyone involved. But bleeding-edge tech can make great games too. THAT is where the focus should be. People don't buy gaming rigs to play just Atari-level games.

Steam is forcing Minecraft-like games on its users way too much. Users should be able to choose what quality of games are chosen for them to see. That is all OP is saying and I agree.

As far as "narrow minded" is concerned I will admit OP is kinda looking that way TBPO. I do have a few Super Nintendo looking games in my Steam library that are good. But my god Steam is pushing that shit way too hard as opposed to newer looking games.

You don't need my approval man, it's your opinion and your right to have it. But since you asked yeah i completely agree with what you wrote. Which let me say it's a lot different than your previous post.
    Yeah, Steam is forcing the 8-bit era down our throats and yeah many of these titles(if not most) are garbage. But copmletely disregarding a whole category of games as trash just because of their looks is not the right approach. At least in my opinion. If he said "i don't like playing old school games because i can't stand old school graphics", that i could get behind at. But don't generalize, as you said.
    I've been playing games since the 90s. Some of the best games i've ever played are from the SNES/Mega Drive/Amiga 500 era. Some of the best games i've played are also from the newer post-2000 generation era. Damn one of my all time favs is Alien:Isolation which came out last year! All i'm saying is just to not limit youself in such ways. You'll be missing a lot of good gaming experiences.
    As for Steam, while i agree with what you said, i understand that this is how the market works. Since the 8-bit is the FOTM and since these games, as you said, are easy to make it's logical that a lot of devs will jump on the hype bundwagon in order to have thier "me too" chance to shine. And all that Steam wants is to make profit. Yeah, that procces will throw a lot of trash in your way, but it's your job as a customer/gamer to filter through all this to find something that might suit you. Not an easy task, i know bit at least it's worth a try.
    Cheers.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited January 2016
    Chose some "Steam Curators" you can trust and let THEM sift through the trash for you. Steam automatically feeds their recommendations into your news feed.

If you find out that certain Steam Curators do NOT choose games you like, ditch them and add some new ones until you found those that match your tastes.

And of course you can always "Browse games" --> "Sort by User Reviews"  (and "narrow by tags"). If something has 98 % positive reviews from 20.000+ gamers, it might be worth having a look.

Have fun
  • CyraelCyrael Member UncommonPosts: 239
    The whole retro thing kind of annoys me. I already dealt with games like that in the late 80s/early 90s. I have no desire to go back to it. Granted, graphics aren't everything, but they are important.
    bartoni33 said:
    bartoni33 said:

Thanks pal!

Let me try again:

You don't need my approval man, it's your opinion and your right to have it. But since you asked yeah i completely agree with what you wrote. Which let me say it's a lot different than your previous post.
    Yeah, Steam is forcing the 8-bit era down our throats and yeah many of these titles(if not most) are garbage. But copmletely disregarding a whole category of games as trash just because of their looks is not the right approach. At least in my opinion. If he said "i don't like playing old school games because i can't stand old school graphics", that i could get behind at. But don't generalize, as you said.
    I've been playing games since the 90s. Some of the best games i've ever played are from the SNES/Mega Drive/Amiga 500 era. Some of the best games i've played are also from the newer post-2000 generation era. Damn one of my all time favs is Alien:Isolation which came out last year! All i'm saying is just to not limit youself in such ways. You'll be missing a lot of good gaming experiences.
    As for Steam, while i agree with what you said, i understand that this is how the market works. Since the 8-bit is the FOTM and since these games, as you said, are easy to make it's logical that a lot of devs will jump on the hype bundwagon in order to have thier "me too" chance to shine. And all that Steam wants is to make profit. Yeah, that procces will throw a lot of trash in your way, but it's your job as a customer/gamer to filter through all this to find something that might suit you. Not an easy task, i know bit at least it's worth a try.
    Cheers.
    Yeah my other post was rambling I admit. :(  Don't forget to look at my edit that didn't show up until after you just posted. The OP was pretty dismissive of the retro craze as a whole. I wouldn't go that far. I myself do not like the old school look. I didn't pay all this money for a gaming rig (that I hope will show up soon) to play 8bit stuff.

@Erillion I agree with the Curator thing. I forgot about them. Their are a few good ones out there. Informative post as usual! =)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    zasd said:
    I wish Gamers were not so distracted by graphics... Good graphics do not a good game make! 
    But it also cannot be a good unless it has good graphics.
    We are talking about VIDEO games,not MUDS...the term VIDEO means to SEE,it does matter.

It's like saying color doesn't make a good movie,i am pretty sure if they tried to sell black n White movies,nobody would go.
    You go to apply for a job,what is the first thing everyone does?They clean up ,dress nice,you could say a well dressed person does not make a good employee,which would be 100% accurate but try showing up in ratty clothes and see what chance you have of getting the job.

Graphics are part of the whole package in delivering the game.You need graphics for effects,animations,the world ,the mobs,the weapons and armor,if you take that all away you end up with a MUD.
    People seem to forget that graphics are 99% of a video game,the rest is just code ,it's all just 0's and 1's.

I'll tell you why else graphics matter,it is part of the immersion,maybe one of the most important aspects that bring a game to life and give you the feeling of being in a plausible world.One of my biggest peeves when Wow came out were the textures were simply awful.The trees didn't look like tree bark,the rock textures didn't look like rock,it looked like some kid made the textures.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    edited January 2016
    I have played games since the 80s been there done that with so called retro games, I want a good game with good graphic, saying graphic isn't everything is moot and just stupid to even say that, you could say that back in the 80s and 90s when graphic didnt really matter.
    It's 2016 a game should have good graphic PERIOD, its just lazy from game developers not to put in extra work into a games graphic.

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    edited January 2016
    I agree. Enough with this crap games with lazy crap graphics labeled as "retro".

I'm 36.. I had enough of "RETRO". Bother with bringing back the magic of old games like monkey island 1, instead of making games look like monkey island 1 as a fashion statement.

@Wizardry lol silvermoon's floor its like 1 texture tiled... 1 time. Have you seen the size of each "rock" on the pavement there? texturing in wow has to be the worst I've ever seen

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    First world problem, searching is hard.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    There are many different games on Steam now like "Shower with your Dad" and that child porn game that got yanked after a day or so, forget the name, but not really that hard to sift through it.  I actually enjoy reading the reviews for a lot of these games.  They are more enjoyable I imagine than anything I would get out of actually playing those games.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    First world problem, searching is hard.
    Erillion said:
    Chose some "Steam Curators" you can trust and let THEM sift through the trash for you. Steam automatically feeds their recommendations into your news feed.

If you find out that certain Steam Curators do NOT choose games you like, ditch them and add some new ones until you found those that match your tastes.

And of course you can always "Browse games" --> "Sort by User Reviews"  (and "narrow by tags"). If something has 98 % positive reviews from 20.000+ gamers, it might be worth having a look.

Have fun

This is a good idea, but I would still like to tag indie games, two searches one for indie alone would be spot on. I would not miss something as was suggested. As I am pointing out you do a second search. :)
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Steam is flooded with crap.

There is actually a game on there showering with your dad or something like that.

Steam should be an advert on why drugs should be illegal.

I still can't believe the millions Farmville made,a game selling virtual fertilizer.

So many things that leave you shaking your head and thinking wtf !!.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.