Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now i see why people quit this game.

Comments

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    I quit EVE!  Why?

Because EVE lied!  It does not cure CANCER!
  • i_make_gaemsi_make_gaems Member UncommonPosts: 12
    @xpowderx In high dosages it might cause it..
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    xpowderx said:
    I quit EVE!  Why?

So far it has successfully warded off all zombie and werewolf attacks at my house since I began playing it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    I completely disagree with the OP: The central thrust of Eve is that it's a social chat room with a game bolted onto it.

In fact, this is the only reason why it has die-hard fan boys.

Obviously, there are scammers, but once you've experienced it you learn to find a friendly corp.

Having played this game for years, my disillusionment with this game is that CCP have officially stopped introducing features since the Incarna fiasco (resulting in the sacking of lots of well known devs). 

Therefore, since 2011, Eve has been obsolescent. It's the strong social aspect that keeps this game alive.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Kyleran said:
    xpowderx said:
    I quit EVE!  Why?

So far it has successfully warded off all zombie and werewolf attacks at my house since I began playing it.
    Hey! Mine too......And I don't even play EVE.......WOW! What a game!
    I completely disagree with the OP: The central thrust of Eve is that it's a social chat room with a game bolted onto it.

In fact, this is the only reason why it has die-hard fan boys.

Obviously, there are scammers, but once you've experienced it you learn to find a friendly corp.

Having played this game for years, my disillusionment with this game is that CCP have officially stopped introducing features since the Incarna fiasco (resulting in the sacking of lots of well known devs). 

Therefore, since 2011, Eve has been obsolescent. It's the strong social aspect that keeps this game alive.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansions_of_Eve_Online
    http://updates.eveonline.com/  
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansions_of_Eve_Online

Nothing new in EVE since Incarna, nope.

Oh yes, soon we'll have Citadels.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SoarlozerSoarlozer Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Eve is basically the greatest mmo ever. It is held back solely by its combat. CCP made a big mistake by not making dust directly connected to the spaceships/stations/planetary combat. The least they could have done was let pc players play it. It was a terrible game for w/e playstation console it was on.

They can even keep the excel combat, id pay $15 to be a infantry soldier or gunner for a ship. I backed star citizen just for the fact that at least they will try to do what should have been what eve evolved into.
  • Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    McLeet said:
    There will be plenty of games that you are allowed to exploit peoples stupidity. Eve is the extreme end in that pretty much anything goes but two games that originally come to mind for me are WoW with its raids and Runescape with its luring.
    I was thinking the same thing. Vanilla Runescape back in the 2000-2003 years was a holy land for video game scam artists. Being that a large amount of Runescape's audience were very young at the time, with the fairly open mechanics in the game; it's no wonder why.

I was in the 6th grade when I first played runescape, so thankfully that game taught me some good life lessons about getting scammed, scamming others, etc. Better to learn them at a younger age in a video game than out in reality, I'd say.
  • mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Isnt Eve a real timesink that the average person with a job and family doesn't exactly have the time for?  I mean, what can you achieve an hour here and an hour there?  Would take 2 hours to buy and fit a ship surely?  Lose it and it's as much about the cost of replacing it as the time taken to wander around collecting the gear.  All the time it takes so long to accomplish anything, it's going to put people off, because when you log in and log off again, you want to be able to say you at least did something in the period in between. 
    edited January 2016
    mark2123 said:
    Isnt Eve a real timesink that the average person with a job and family doesn't exactly have the time for?  I mean, what can you achieve an hour here and an hour there?  Would take 2 hours to buy and fit a ship surely?  Lose it and it's as much about the cost of replacing it as the time taken to wander around collecting the gear.  All the time it takes so long to accomplish anything, it's going to put people off, because when you log in and log off again, you want to be able to say you at least did something in the period in between. 
    I'm an average person, who works 45 - 50 hours a week, has a family life, and plays roughly 2-3 hrs a night on weeknights, more on weekends and have no issues finding things to do.

But I won't lie, some activities are off limits, like Capital Ship roams which can take 4-6 hours or more sometimes....... and at very odd hours when towers come out of reinforced.

• Big.Daddy.SamediBig.Daddy.Samedi Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Kyleran said:
    mark2123 said:
    I'm an average person, who works 45 - 50 hours a week, has a family life, and plays roughly 2-3 hrs a night on weeknights, more on weekends and have no issues finding things to do.

But I won't lie, some activities are off limits, like Capital Ship roams which can take 4-6 hours or more sometimes....... and at very odd hours when towers come out of reinforced.

This is good to know, I have been inspired to come try EvE. I am looking for something with depth and complexity... but I too work a lot and have been concerned about this.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    This is good to know, I have been inspired to come try EvE. I am looking for something with depth and complexity... but I too work a lot and have been concerned about this.
    EVE is a working man's game. It has depth and complexity aplenty. 12 years in EVE and I still have not tried everything (any experts in drug booster production here ?).

You can play it 20 hours a day as a fleet commander in big alliance wars.

OR

5 minutes every other month to change your offline training schedule. Your character still gets better.

So ... you can scale your EVE involvement from 0,01 to 100 % depending on your real life commitments.
    Been there, did both. EVE is still there when you have more time.

Have fun
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    edited January 2016
    Out of the myriad of reasons as to why I quit Eve over the myriad of attempts to get into the game, being scammed is not one of them.  If you get scammed in Eve, then chances are you are vulnerable to have it happen in real life as well.  Not that the two are the same obviously, real life and Eve.  Well at least for most.  However, general naivety, lack of life experience or two much faith in mankind is what leaves one susceptible.  Eve is one of the few MMOs that can actually teach life lessons, among other things. So if you got scammed in Eve, take that and learn what to avoid where it really counts, which is outside of the game.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    edited January 2016
    rodingo said:
    Out of the myriad of reasons as to why I quit Eve over the myriad of attempts to get into the game, being scammed is not one of them.  If you get scammed in Eve, then chances are you are vulnerable to have it happen in real life as well.  Not that the two are the same obviously, real life and Eve.  Well at least for most.  However, general naivety, lack of life experience or two much faith in mankind is what leaves one susceptible.  Eve is one of the few MMOs that can actually teach life lessons, among other things. So if you got scammed in Eve, take that and learn what to avoid where it really counts, which is outside of the game.
    Depends on society. Certain societies and specially certain subsections of it relies on a high amount of trust in each other. I can leave my wallet and cellphone in a classroom when going to the bathroom without it ever being stolen.

When I leave my wallet and cellphone to the people attending the wardrobe at the theater, there has never been a time when even a penny is missing.

When I ask for street directions from a random person on the street, never once have they given me wrong directions.

What is a wise way to behave and think in a game in which deception is a key ingredient, can in many cases outside of the game be unnecessary and even damaging to your peace of mind depending on which society you live in.
    Post edited by TwoThreeFour on
  • Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    NorseGod said:
    I cannot believe how naive people are, I sit here and watch these in game chats, and people fall for the stupidest shit. They genuinely believe that people in these help chats, honestly want to help them haha. 
    Dumb people should be preyed upon. Survival of the fittest. Think of it as a firewall. Nature has been trying to kill dumb and gimp people for a long time and others keep dragging them along. EVE should be no different.

If people fall for an obvious scam I agree with you, it happens in real life.  When a corp of lowlifes can simply use wardecs to circumvent concord in high sec the game rules need to be changed or the gankers penalised, CCP encourages it and this does not happen in real life, not in any decent country anyway.  I cannot simply declare war on my obnoxious neighbour so that I can beat the crap out of him and steal his stuff while the police take the view of 'Nothing we can do, he declared war on the guy'.  There is a corp in Eve that does this a lot, just look at which corps have had the most wars and they sit firmly up there.  It's griefing and exploiting the ruleset, pure and simple.  Any other game bans people for using exploits.
  • pinktailzpinktailz Member UncommonPosts: 173
    It is not even a game lol, it is space a$$hole simulator :D
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    DMKano said:
    I dont see how this behavior is unique to EvE
    In an EVE or a Wushu, beyond not being there to help, they are often there to con. Players don't have that freedom in the vast majority of mmorpgs. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Stuka1000 said:
    NorseGod said:
    I cannot believe how naive people are, I sit here and watch these in game chats, and people fall for the stupidest shit. They genuinely believe that people in these help chats, honestly want to help them haha. 
    Dumb people should be preyed upon. Survival of the fittest. Think of it as a firewall. Nature has been trying to kill dumb and gimp people for a long time and others keep dragging them along. EVE should be no different.

If people fall for an obvious scam I agree with you, it happens in real life.  When a corp of lowlifes can simply use wardecs to circumvent concord in high sec the game rules need to be changed or the gankers penalised, CCP encourages it and this does not happen in real life, not in any decent country anyway.  I cannot simply declare war on my obnoxious neighbour so that I can beat the crap out of him and steal his stuff while the police take the view of 'Nothing we can do, he declared war on the guy'.  There is a corp in Eve that does this a lot, just look at which corps have had the most wars and they sit firmly up there.  It's griefing and exploiting the ruleset, pure and simple.  Any other game bans people for using exploits.
    Wardec'ing isn't circumventing Concorde, its not even unreasonable, and yes, some Corps/Alliances will run hundreds of Wardec's at a time, there is one i know of that preys on people in Amarr etc. But you have to remember, Eve is a PVP game, and just being in high sec isn't a guarantee that PVP is not going to happen to you, that was never the intention of the game, its why Wardec's are a thing, you don't need them in null sec after all, but that doesn't mean that you can't avoid being ganked if your Corp has been wardec'd, you just have to have common sense, like, don't fly Freighters when your under a wardec, or, if you have a regular spot thats used for corp mining ops, be aware thats its probably been noted and having a mining op during a wardec is probably going to be difficult, the only time i've managed it myself, was when i was mining in nullsec, because oddly enough, high sec wardec'ers tend to avoid going into null sec.
    As for it being an exploit, you couldn't be more wrong, its by design, after all, its a game, the real life comparison however is an epic fail. Unlike other games, Eve will crucify the stupid, common sense is not just advantageous, its a necessity, if you want a game to hold your hand so nothing bad happens, well there are plenty of games out there that do that.
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    edited January 2016
    bcbully said:
    DMKano said:
    In an EVE or a Wushu, beyond not being there to help, they are often there to con. Players don't have that freedom in the vast majority of mmorpgs. 
    It's not freedom. It's called being a prick and EVE is filled with them. That why it's a niche game. Space sims like EVE are few to non-existent in the mmo world. There is no reason why EVE couldn't and doesn't control the whole aspect of this market.

Except for the facts stated in this thread. They allow for heinous outlandish behavior that your average person doesn't want to tolerate. That and the fact that EVE is like playing spread sheet wars. Kind of brings the experience down.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    fodell54 said:
    bcbully said:
    DMKano said:
    It's not freedom. It's called being a prick and EVE is filled with them. That why it's a niche game. Space sims like EVE are few to non-existent in the mmo world. There is no reason why EVE couldn't and doesn't control the whole aspect of this market.

Except for the facts stated in this thread. They allow for heinous outlandish behavior that your average person doesn't want to tolerate. That and the fact that EVE is like playing spread sheet wars. Kind of brings the experience down.
    About the only thing i got from that was that you've never played Eve, just read about it, some of your sources are not only dodgy, but incredibly biased though.
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    I hate when eve players say "you cant handle eve that why you quit."  NO actually.. i just didn't like the game.
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    hfztt said:
    EVE is actually full of super helpfull people. You just have to figure out who they are...
    Of course we have to figure out who the helpful payers are in an online game from chat message..nice logic.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited January 2016
    fodell54 said:
    bcbully said:
    DMKano said:

Actually that degree of freedom added immersion when I played Wushu. Ming era china was a lawless place. Good and evil was found in abundance. EVE is much the same in those respects. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    hfztt said:
    EVE is actually full of super helpfull people. You just have to figure out who they are...
    Of course we have to figure out who the helpful payers are in an online game from chat message..nice logic.
    "EVE University" members are usually a good choice for helpful players.

http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Main_Page

Have fun 

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    edited January 2016
    bcbully said:
    fodell54 said:
    bcbully said:
    DMKano said:

Actually that degree of freedom added immersion when I played Wushu. Ming era china was a lawless place. Good and evil was found in abundance. EVE is much the same in those respects. 
    Again, lack of moderation is not freedom. It's called being a shitty company. In your beloved Wushu you do dumb stuff you go to jail. Which is a horrible experience in Wushu. In EVE you get a pat on the back and a that boy. Completely different scenario. Ultima Online was similar to Wushu except it had GM and actually cared about it's player base. Don't confuse freedom with the lack of responsible for moderation shown by CCP.

It's almost sad that a company like Snail Games is better that dealing with this then CCP.  A company that will invite player from GoonSwarm to speak at public events. Allows them to sell 5 Trillion isk and just shrugs their shoulders. CCP is a bad company and really could careless about what any of it's players want or need for that matter.

Also Wushu sucks. I think would people will agree with that.