Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bad news coming from Smedleys periscope about EQNext's AI

Comments

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Hey winners get hate. I must be doing something right. 
    And this is the part where you mark your profile with the mighty stamp of epic failure for all eternity.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    So Smed took EQNs AI guy when he left? Hmmm interesting.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    edited January 2016
    No one even cares about the game Smedley is making, but all the interest is focused on the EQNext sound bite, lol
  • nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    edited January 2016
    Now I don't know if Eq next is gonna release or not but if you believe anything coming outta Smeds mouth your doing it wrong anyway lol...........

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Smedley was a failure of a CEO.  If other studios had the kind of money and talent Smedley had, we would have some very awesome games right now.  Smedley killed some profitable franchises (SWG) and sunk millions in to projects that barely made a profit (EQ2 and H1Z1).  His game division barely made a profit and many years it didnt.  How this man held on to his job for so long is a testament to the lack of leadership in large corporations. 

How a person can take anything Smed says as truth is just sad.  Makes me wonder if some people just sit around listening to REO Speedwagon...

And I'm gonna keep on Believeing you
    'Cause it's the only thing I want to do
    I don't want to sleep, I just want to keep on Believeing you

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    edited January 2016
    Allein said:
    Everything you described is something i wanted in an mmo. Even before i heard about it. This concept was introduced i think around 2011 when one team won the development contest while the other was fired and started to produce EQNext. JButler was on that team that won and DG joined around that same time. This was already in the works while Dave Mark was working his magic then got passed down or should i say over to SB. There is a possibly that Dave Mark outdid himself but the cost was too high and that SB would fill in better or other in house AI but it would greatly discourage me if it was anything as awesome as what DG pitched or better.
    Dave Mark was with EQN from April 2013 to Feb 2014.
    Omg...why would they scrap it?
    He was hired by Storybricks as a sub-consultant. He was most likely let go because his ideas didn't work with theirs.
    Muke said:
    Smed ALWAYS said everything that involved his work was "amazing",
    Unless he is talking about F2P. Jan 2015 vs Nov 2015.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited January 2016
    I am getting way off topic here but its because noone has got an answer to Why would they quit while they were ahead?

Sony owned SoE, they were not an investor. SoE: acronym for Sony Online Entertainment.

And Sony quit because - at a global level - they needed to make cost savings. So they wrote off $60M game development costs (in their published results) - which would previously have been classed as a $60M R&D "asset" and then sold SoE to CN. They may have been "ahead" at a game development level but financially they were in a $60M dollar hole.

So why did they quit? They ran out of $millions.

However, as I said above, CN didn't axe the EQN team when they took over. They could easily have done so. Obviously they decided to "gamble" on an EQN and the odds of making some money were "OK". And you can think of it as a poker game with odds!  

For at the end of the day it all comes down to what $$$ they envisage they will need to spend to get EQN out of the door vs. what $$$ they believe they will get back. Now if EQN slips and anticipated costs rise the odds shift. So at some point they might decide to fold the hand.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    It is good EQN will never see the light of day... they need to scrap the whole idea... and make EQ3  with the same original group pve centric mechanics of EQ... improve the graphics and interface... add some features of current mmo's like housing, trade runs, more indepth crafting, etc
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    fs23otm said:
    It is good EQN will never see the light of day... they need to scrap the whole idea... and make EQ3  with the same original group pve centric mechanics of EQ... improve the graphics and interface... add some features of current mmo's like housing, trade runs, more indepth crafting, etc

I completely agree with the above.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    ... Imagine a world where an NPC does not offer a quest because she's grumpy that day, or dark elves exterminate the dryads, or orcs roll around in big zerg packs ganking noobs....
    That sounds like a world I want to play in.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I was looking forward to EQN because it sounded daring but these project leaders tend to be assholes who don't actually do the work and tell white lies and sell magic beans about the project while the real work is being done by the talent who really wish to cull expectations.

I wouldn't be surprised if the game launched as a cookie cutter MMORPG simply to get a return on investment. That's why they've gone dark. They wouldn't be able to handle the outrage and backlash of a direction change.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I am getting way off topic here but its because noone has got an answer to Why would they quit while they were ahead?
    Perhaps CN bought SOE (and formed Daybreak with it) because they needed a tax loss to offset profits from other holdings.  Perhaps the Daybreak accountants (CN directed, not Sony directed) determined that the break-even point for finishing the EQ:N project would be so far in the future to make it impractical for the company to pour any more money into the project.  Perhaps the new management (once they discarded the leftover SOE management) decided they didn't want to make a game like what EQ:N had been marketed to be.  Perhaps Daybreak decided on a 'radio silence' approach to allow the information that SOE had released to fade away, in preparation for a new marketing push with different goals.

There's thousands of possible answers.  We (the public) will probably never know exactly what the CN executives were thinking.  Only when there's actually a game released, or if Daybreak releases news about the development, will we be able to reverse-engineer their motives.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    SyndromofaDown said:
    It makes me hate WoW but i can't do anything about it because they sucker in so many people. Seriously i got over that game when i was 2.
    When you say stuff like this, it makes it tough for people to take you seriously.
  • SyndromofaDownSyndromofaDown Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Hey im still here. Still gonna post. The passion for this game still overrides anything that might cause a little discomfort. 

Anyway, I brought it out there, Its something that needs to be said. Because there will be trolls and i don't know in the future if were going to lock them out but we couldnt have a decent conversation about this game in 2013-14. Yeah its a while ago but if you really cared about the little things like this game getting viewed on merit then you would just take it as it is. If you felt this game was trolled to where Landmark has 25 people on any given night playing then thats who i posted to. Also, cheap taken out of context posts says a lot more about you than me. 

Anywho, the AI system according to posts here was worked on by Mark Davis from 2013-2014. That means the"Emergent" AI period of info that we heard about in these times are not fully potential then what has been stated to be worked on or completed. For any number of reasons that means EQNext will have In House AI but hopefully less themepark and more sandbox. Though even that is in question. Again, they might retiterate the project a whole bunch to fit what they studied in projected sales.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Nanfoodle said:
    So Smed took EQNs AI guy when he left? Hmmm interesting.
    No, Dave Mark went to GW2.
    You know i had to say my bit because in this forum some people are mostly negative and for the littlest reasons at all. They take the tiniest information thats available and make the most possible negative incontation there is about the general game. Nevermind the possible thousands of facts they have no access to because they are simply buyers and nobody special but its to the point where they can actually ruin a games marketing if they post in key spots on various social media and reflects poorly on a game that the company can't have a chance to come back from and most of the time it is the most petty reasons like in ESO some guy made a post about the game not worth it because of the downloading it took to his computer. Reasons like that send negative impacts to the game and people will more than likely pass or have less fun if they do manage to play the game. 

In these forums while we wait for development i noticed people can't critically think. You couldn't be a dummy and work on a AAA game so why would people give absolutely no benefit of the doubt to the devs and producers? And why make it a can't do when it mostly likely is a can do but for various reasons sometimes something they have no control over like money and just brandish these devs like amateurs reflecting poorly on the company as a whole? This type of messages in a random mmorpg site can lower consumer confidence and lower potential spending on a product that most likely will suffer unless someone can counter that message. And the mentality of gamers now are as unforgiving as consumers then its ever been. So how can a company win? Its not a case of jerks being jerks. There is a long term consequence of their negative incontations because many people are just browsing through and seeing nothing but negative drama unfold. It saddens me we have to jump to conclusions and not just let the cards fall as they may. It would be better for the franchise that way...
  • Zen00Zen00 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    I'm prepared to bet that that "amazing work" was in fact amazing, but also unfinished. And it most probably was linked to the whole ill-fated StoryBricks saga.

So when Daybreak were ordered to take stock, they axed the "amazing AI" because it would have taken too much time and money to spread it throughout the whole game.

So it looks like EQN (if it ever launches) will just have "standard" themepark AI.
    Yawn...
    Which means it will just be another "Also-ran" MMO, which will be abandoned after 2 months like all the others. When will devs realized they need a stand-out feature if they want their game to last. :/
    Yes i know this a public forum but trolls took it a step further. They make the mentality irrational. There is still tactics they are employing that passes as normal posts but are far more sinister in intent than what passes as regular trolling. Its to where we can't spot them and they hide among us controlling the convo to where only the most negative incontation is said and repeated until the game is dead on the vine...

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Yes i know this a public forum but trolls took it a step further. 
    Even though I've been entertained responding to you, it's clear you are trolling or something going on in your head (your name seems appropriate).

Your first account was banned and several of your threads locked.

Half your posts are incoherent as you rattle off a bunch of half finished thoughts and don't even attempt to edit or make them understandable.

Calling Dave Mark, Mark Davis and going on about WoW rivalries and whatever nonsense about the AI that isn't even based on what happened.

Good luck to you, but if you aren't trolling, really don't know what is going on in your head.

Seriously, what does this mean, is there a translate button for you? For someone in thier 30s, not sure how you can believe that is clear.

Anywho, the AI system according to posts here was worked on by Mark Davis from 2013-2014. That means the"Emergent" AI period of info that we heard about in these times are not fully potential then what has been stated to be worked on or completed. For any number of reasons that means EQNext will have In House AI but hopefully less themepark and more sandbox. Though even that is in question. Again, they might retiterate the project a whole bunch to fit what they studied in projected sales.

• Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    It doesn't matter if EQN vaporware or not, Pantheon Rise of the Fallen is the real Everquest next everyone wanted anyways and its really being made, and by an actual original classic EQ Dev to boot! www.pantheonmmo.com
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
     EQ Next died because the company was in shambles, and Smed is an idiot who doesn't care about the people who play his games, just money. End of story.
    Allein said:
    Yes i know this a public forum but trolls took it a step further. 
    Even though I've been entertained responding to you, it's clear you are trolling or something going on in your head (your name seems appropriate).

Your first account was banned and several of your threads locked.

Half your posts are incoherent as you rattle off a bunch of half finished thoughts and don't even attempt to edit or make them understandable.

Calling Dave Mark, Mark Davis and going on about WoW rivalries and whatever nonsense about the AI that isn't even based on what happened.

Good luck to you, but if you aren't trolling, really don't know what is going on in your head.

Seriously, what does this mean, is there a translate button for you? For someone in thier 30s, not sure how you can believe that is clear.

Still not as bad as Rydeson...

There isn't much to talk about so i create it mostly whatever is running through my head at the time. I don't hold anything in this forum sacred so i don't edit anything and i really don't take this as seriously as you think i do. Id rather go to the forums of the official sites and post there or reddit but i think im not good enough to host a convo there so i come here. And who really cares if its nonsensical? This is the worst site for EQN ive ever seen...
    I mean i have a voice, ive done nothing but try to bring my own perspective in hopes someone else agrees with me and couldn't bring it out (post) for some reason or another. It's not going to be shut down because highhole thinks i should quit or im trolling. Everything is relevant to what what the pulse of EQN is and what seems to be obstentatious for now can make sense when things look different in this development scope. Ive done nothing but make points sometimes not as coherent but they are what it is unless you have some filter then it is you that is obstructing debate.
    Yeah Smedley is not as bad as some of you guys think he is. If he doesn't get paid games don't get made. Its a business and if his game is bad well he doesn't have many chances left. But let's not be stingy. I think the industry would be better off if people didn't take it as so seriously when spending 20-40 dollars... I mean thats a night out. Seriously what are you nerds doing? Games should survive because you never know when you will come back to them. Lets get this one made shall we?