Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Study: Foreign gamers are better at English than non-gamers.

KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
edited January 2016 in General Gaming
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0346251X15000433

Basically, the study divided 80 Swedish students into 3 groups.

Gamers who play 5+ hours / week.
Gamers who play less than 5 hours / week.
Non-gamers.

The gamers did far better in English tests than non-gamers.

At that age, girls tend to be better at languages than boys.

But the gamer group playing 5+ hours / week, included only 1 girl, making the results even more surprising.

I can actually confirm this study, my English is excellent, but it's not my native tongue. It's mostly due to playing MMO.

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    No comment on the study, but I have read many of your posts and never realized you were not a native English speaker.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    flizzer said:
    No comment on the study, but I have read many of your posts and never realized you were not a native English speaker.
    thank you, at least it's a good rebuttal when someone tells me I game too much lol
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    English is my third language, though I can't credit gaming. It's my primary language now, been living in the US for 20 years now. I will say that Magic the Gathering and Tolkien REALLY expanded my vocabulary - I got into them when I was 8 years old, which are some good formative years. If I hadn't gotten involved with the fantasy genre when I did, I'm not sure how my language would have been shaped because I was only in the US for 4 years before leaving again until high school.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited January 2016
    I can confirm the study.

The first foreign language I started to study was Swedish, but by the time I was finished with high school my English skills were far better than my Swedish skills despite having studied Swedish two years longer.

• Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    I personally learned English growing up without any English classes purely from video games. I remember whenever someone asked my parents about which English class I'm going to they always said "Video Games School!".
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    The grammar police don't play.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Well to be fair, we are taught mandatory English and most our non-Swedish tv and movies are sub and not dub. So the average level is pretty good but as hardly any games released in Sweden are translated gamers tend to have more use of their English skills.

Heck i think EA Sport sit as the sole company that translates games to Swedish..  

This have been a good conversation

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Kiyoris said:
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0346251X15000433

Basically, the study divided 80 Swedish students into 3 groups.

Gamers who play 5+ hours / week.
    Gamers who play less than 5 hours / week.
    Non-gamers.

The gamers did far better in English tests than non-gamers.

At that age, girls tend to be better at languages than boys.

But the gamer group playing 5+ hours / week, included only 1 girl, making the results even more surprising.

I can actually confirm this study, my English is excellent, but it's not my native tongue. It's mostly due to playing MMO.
    It makes sense, since we use the language a lot more. Not to mention if you care about your reputation even a bit, you'll have motivation to improve. :D

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I personally learned English growing up without any English classes purely from video games. I remember whenever someone asked my parents about which English class I'm going to they always said "Video Games School!".
    ^Video games, comic books and movies. Also, a handy dictionary for looking up words every now and then.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624
    Kiyoris said:
    I can actually confirm this study, my English is excellent, but it's not my native tongue.
    You mean your native language.

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    BTrayaL said:
    Kiyoris said:
    I can actually confirm this study, my English is excellent, but it's not my native tongue.
    http://www.wordreference.com/enfr/native+tongue
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    BTrayaL said:
    Kiyoris said:
    No is a old but in no way wrong way to say it. It is very dated and tend to be seen as a bit colonial. =)

This have been a good conversation

• Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572
    edited January 2016
    This study doesn't surprise me. I have a German friend who speaks and writes excellent English, as well as his native tongue. He learnt English through playing with many English friends and games pretty heavily. People learn better in a relaxed, fun environment. You're way more engaged then being in a prison I mean classroom with a teacher constantly droning at you in an unengaging fashion. That's not to say teachers are bad its just of course you'll learn better if you're actually having fun.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    If and when you ever experience statistics (like an actual class), you'll realize that 80 isn't a large enough sample to determine much of anything.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Ima Sven and hes a Olly.

The test is an odd result because most gamer's get brain dead tired before they decide to quit.

Just using the Hearthstone example,i can tell yo u that 90% of the time the streamer quits saying he /she is getting too tired to play and has begun playing badly because of it.I would also say gamer's might tend to get a lack of sleep which should not relate to better results.

The problem with these tests is that it is so easy to skew them with inaccurate results just from the people you picked.Someone else could pick a different 80 and get complete flip flopped results,it also matters what kind of English test/questions were asked.

I mean was every question using terms like Raiding and Experience and Boss and Loot etc etc lol.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited January 2016
    The reason for this is quite simple. Many,many countries teach English in their schools. However they do not give enough practice of speaking the language and often poor pronunciation and being ashamed to speak will result in reticent use of English.There's the rub; the practice of speaking in English.  In games you tend to not care so much and speak far too quickly in voice chat or typing to worry about whether the other chap thinks you have bad English.

So people who normally won't venture to speak English in company will be typing furiously or talking in anger or trying to explain in all their unabashed glorious use of the language. If they ever listened to themselves speak they might cringe but in that moment they just want to make a point. Naturally your language skill improves as a result.
    Chamber of Chains
  • XxeroxXxerox Member UncommonPosts: 126
    It is like watching anime. The more you watch the easyer you learn Japanese.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Correlation does not imply causation....
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited January 2016
    Gdemami said:
    Correlation does not imply causation....
    It does, but more research is needed if you want to find out whether games cause English skill, English skill causes playing games, or some third factor causes both of them.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited January 2016
    Vrika said:
    It does, but more research is needed if you want to find out whether games cause English skill, English skill causes playing games, or some third factor causes both of them.
    ...all the dangers of bread, scary. Or was it ice cream? Can't remember...
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Reminds me of 10 years ago...
    The girl was from New York and I always had to help her with her English homework because her spelling and grammar was.. well yeah..

Still amuses me even after all those years.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    What you talk'n bout Willis??
  • crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194
    88% right answers on my english exam and I rarely studied for english class. Conclusion: runescape > school. Now I'm playing CSGO to learn russian. For example i already know that have a nice day in russian is suka blyat idi nahui
  • EpicJohnsonEpicJohnson Member UncommonPosts: 83
    It is kinda sad that we in the USA seem to have less command of the English language than the rest of the world.
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    edited January 2016
    Of course.

I have a friend on PoE I met while trading, he's Korean and he could hardly type proper sentences. Fast forward a few years, and he types it and understands it just as good as anybody else on there.

It makes me want to learn another language from gaming now. XD
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.