Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bad news coming from Smedleys periscope about EQNext's AI

Comments

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Allein said:
    Dave Mark was with EQN from April 2013 to Feb 2014.
    Omg...why would they scrap it?

Maybe it wasn't good enough?

From his work with GW2, doesn't seem like he did much. Then again he was working with a previously built game.

Last word on the street was the AI was still being worked on in-house.

Confused how you can be so fixated on something and know so little.

And I can't stop feeding!
  • SyndromofaDownSyndromofaDown Member UncommonPosts: 325
    I listened to every Storybrick interview and it wasn't hype. It made it where i can actually work for their company. Program a living breathing world where mobs actually have instincts. That is one of the basics of life. If i was God, i would have overlooked that because i would have controlled behaviour. But that changes the whole scope of intelligence in a game more importantly a massive mulitplayer online rpg. Rpgs are meant for this AI. Otherwise they are just story telling devices. This puts the game in the role playing game!
    I listened to every Storybrick interview and it wasn't hype. It made it where i can actually work for their company. Program a living breathing world where mobs actually have instincts. That is one of the basics of life. If i was God, i would have overlooked that because i would have controlled behaviour. But that changes the whole scope of intelligence in a game more importantly a massive mulitplayer online rpg. Rpgs are meant for this AI. Otherwise they are just story telling devices. This puts the game in the role playing game!
    So do you work for Storybricks?
    SB explained it a living breathing world that you are part of the story. Noones ever said that when hyping their AI so i don't see where the skeptism comes from other than through peoples filters. And they are all different so i ignore but for once if it was ever implemented i would like to see a full review maybe from Angry Joe talking about the EQNext AI and i will post it in these forums when the game comes out. Sadly i dont think it will be that way anymore but its still a possibility that its resembles that. Still sucks we couldnt see the "awesome" version.
    The SWG crowd killed another game...Seriously.

When noone wants to take a risk when that great "elephant" is in that room the industry is dead. How can something like this happen to my franchise?? Ive been playing Everquest since i was 16 back in 1999. Why quit while you are ahead!? This industry is about ideas. This AI showing would have revitalized the industry. It would have showed other companies, Hey we can make games creatively. Now its going to die because people wanted Legion?? It doesn't make sense...Im lost for words.

When the first reveal came out i thought, Wow this is going to attract million because of its own merit. It was simply ahead of its time and now the game that was in tune with what the generation wanted is going to be stripped down into a market shell of low interest and a veritable "me too" money pit where investors and people interested have lost because of all the "dont buy this, this game sucks" before it was even put out. Why don't you judge it when it comes out?? Wtf...

Here's my point. The AI was cancelled because this game would have projected to fail...Fail at what right? Well, they research potential buyers and demographics and figured the only people who would buy won't be enough to fund the project and release. They even made it like a cartoon to attract the newer people. Those factors affected the investor money and now the game won't be made to be revolutionary, like they can make it, like something the industry needs, like something that would benefit all. This won't be a give it all you got game like everything prior to 2005 but we need to follow what makes us money because measures how good a game is??

How dare i say ill of WoW right?? Well, my game is dead...
    Gotta love the community when i basically said everything i wanted to say in the second post and it was dragged on by posts i didn't want to make. Anyway the thread survived and i got some info that could change how on how i wait for Next now. Thanks guys.
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    I thought EQN was in alot of trouble when they dropped Storybricks and subsequently dropped some three-quarters of the lore/story and other creative contributors. That was a year ago. Where have you been.
    Gotta love the community when i basically said everything i wanted to say in the second post and it was dragged on by posts i didn't want to make. Anyway the thread survived and i got some info that could change how on how i wait for Next now. Thanks guys.
    There is no community, just random people responding to whatever you are rambling on about before another thread of yours gets locked.
    Allein said:
    There is no community, just random people responding to whatever you are rambling on about before another thread of yours gets locked.
    Hey winners get hate. I must be doing something right. I mean i do make the most viewed posts out here.
    edited January 2016

Allein said:
    Hey winners get hate. I must be doing something right. I mean i do make the most viewed posts out here.
    And you know nothing about me Allein, all you have is your little corner of safety and im in other game forums like massively making threads like these and getting exposure same way. Im more loved than you are which ill take, but i want this game to succeed first.
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    funny that people think that there will be an EQnext game..

Smedley played it nicely.. and his goal is met..

goal of smedley:

talks about eqnext for free publicity.. 

Allein said:
    And you know nothing about me Allein, all you have is your little corner of safety and im in other game forums like massively making threads like these and getting exposure same way. Im more loved than you are which ill take, but i want this game to succeed first.
    And i noticed your posts. Ever heard of a concept called open discussion?
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

goal of smedley:

You are aware that Smedley no longer works for DBG ? They basically fired him.

Why would you think that he would be generating free publicity for a project owned by the people that fired him ?
    And relax guys. I made an internet post. And its a game forum. Lets keep the posts to the topic.

Ill add that they assumed we knew little about the AI when in case we knew a lot. Some people have gotten enough sources to paint a picture of what the game can be like. Not will be but can be. This is a huge letdown for us. Doesn't necessarily mean its a disaster no where near that otherwise Daybreak would break silence and tell us but a huge letdown from otherwise something that can turn the genre upside down...

goal of smedley:

You are aware that Smedley no longer works for DBG ? They basically fired him.

Why would you think that he would be generating free publicity for a project owned by the people that fired him ?
    No he's talking about Heroe's song.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited January 2016
    Well i think everything is still under Smed's direction and all i have seen from him is automation not really detailed AI ideas.
    In FFXI some mobs depending on what class they were would actually buff other family mobs or even heal them.They also used various AI intervals to of course heal themselves and debuff the player and/or buff themselves.
    So i have already seen what i consider the best Ai,tons of mobs go much further in depth with AI than the simple mobs i mentioned.Also in FFXI they are still the leader in AGGRO AI,several types of aggro while most every game has one  .../sigh.

The only thing we have not seen really in any game or very seldom are mobs that might retreat.Personally i think it is obvious because that would actually make combat easier  or more  cumbersome.

So leads us back to speculation,well first of all he also hinted that layering was easier in 2D,umm easier maybe but not better not even remotely close to better.So my long winded point is that i think he is just spewing nonsense lol.Just look at the design and low tech,they are not aiming for any kind of complex or in depth game,they are aiming at a VERY FAST deployment to get something out making money.

We can even look at Landmark,i imagine if we went back and looked at all the hype and stuff he said we would be thinking LM was the next big game but nobody really cares about it at all.So when comes to Smedley,we need to see it to believe it,talk is cheap with him.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

I think combat AI where the mob thinks like a human would think prone to mistakes a human would make and learn to adapt to that was one of EQNexts aims. The diffculty slider is something they borrowed from other games. Other than that noone else knows what was in store. The only thing i can think of in Heroes song is friendly fire both ways so the mobs have to maneuvor around that.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    edited January 2016
     Of course we dont know what the work was but Smed said it was "amazing". Question is why would they quit something Smed said was amazing?
    Smed ALWAYS said everything that involved his work was "amazing", he always promised fireworks and in 99% of the cases delivered a dud. Promised the world to gamers: delivered NOTHING. He is just a simple salesman selling his product the best way he can, cashes in  and whatever comes after that....'GL with that' if you are a customer.

This guy does not have a terrible reputation in the MMO community and among devs and other companies for nothing. there is a reason why.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Didn't he oversee Everquest and Star Wars Galaxies?
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    edited January 2016
     Star Wars Galaxies?
    Oh boy, in before the disgruntled ex SWG players that left after the NGE selling out debacle where 98% of the player community left within a 2-week lifespan.

Oh wait, I am one of them.

And yes, he has buried all of his MMO's. EQ(2) is still alive though, but mostly a ingame cash shop.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

edited January 2016

And i noticed your posts. Ever heard of a concept called open discussion?
    Lol, you make the only posts here as there is nothing to talk about pertaining to the game. Just your random stream of thought being thrown out to the world and people biting. You also have the most locked threads /clap.

I don't know much about you, but you clearly seem to have a need to be "loved" by random people on the internet, put a lot of stock into AngryJoe and whichever internet personalities, and seem to have issues with a game that is no longer relevant (WoW).

Pretty sure we are having an open discussion currently? Did I try to close the door or something?

Fact that you have to make a second account because your first was banned says a lot about you =)
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Muke said:

This guy does not have a terrible reputation in the MMO community and among devs and other companies for nothing. there is a reason why.

Care to link some references to back up your allegation that Smed has a "terrible reputation... among devs and other companies" ?

No, of course you can't, you just made that up.

Having a "terrible reputation" in the "MMO community" means absolutely nothing. EA has the worst reputation of all "in the community", yet that community religiously buys every annual edition of their game franchises...
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Someone decided that Smed needed some advertising?

There you go, Smedley, a forum bump. Please remit my quarter immediately.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Just look at his office/staff,did they look like they were all working on the game that has only a 1 year time window?I saw maybe 2 people fiddling with a few things,i saw a lot of lounging.

1 person working on tiles ..zzzzz
    1 guy working on an animation model that looked to be already finished,only so much you can with a walking animation.I think he was just pretending to be working.

The maps will likely be all tiles just like 20-30 year old 30x30 grid games.

If he is paying 10 people 100k that is 1 million a year,he is seeking just over that ,likely for expenses so it seems about right.Actual quality game production,likely 6-8 months,2-3 minimal effort,1-2 testing Beta pre sales.
    I expect a game worth a 2/10 rating by 2016 quality standards.6 months later some kind of cash shop dlc /expansion.I also expect since i know what i heard about him earlier is he aims at this low quality game to promote it on mobile as well.This might even end up a Browser game similar to W101.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Wizardry said:

If he is paying 10 people 100k ...
    Yeh, right. My bet is he pays himself 200k, 2 people 80k and the rest 40k.
  • DarkEvilHatredDarkEvilHatred Member UncommonPosts: 229
    edited January 2016

Why don't you judge it when it comes out?? Wtf...
    Because we have already waited how many years for it?