Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Squadron 42: Behind the Scenes - Gillian Anderson - Star Citizen

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2016 in Videos Discussion

imageSquadron 42: Behind the Scenes - Gillian Anderson - Star Citizen

Go Behind the Scenes of the making of Squadron 42 with a look at Captain Maclaren, played by Gillian Anderson. Roberts Space Industries is a spacecraft manufacturer within the persistent-world game "Star Citizen" and its companion single-player spaceflight sim, "Squadron 42." RSI is also your portal for information, updates, and purchases of your very own spacecraft with which to trade, plunder, and protect the citizens of Star Citizen. Be sure to visit Roberts Space Industries here a

Read the full story here

Comments

• JasonosJasonos Member UncommonPosts: 36
    OMG so thats where money went :)
  • Athena_StarfireAthena_Starfire Member UncommonPosts: 213
    Not paying for a gank-fest
  • feroshusferoshus Member UncommonPosts: 164
    Cool video, looks like a lot of fun is being had making this thing. Also can't get enough Gillian she was great in Hannibal.
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    May be this is a good sign, I do not beleive that Gillian would be part of vapor ware or something that did not live up to its promise.

She is a sign now of good things to come from SC, an unbiased assurance that things are fine and dandy.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    I Look at it as the Wing Commander 3 of today being made.
  • mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    edited January 2016
    Yeah, I'm kind of disappointed, the salary of this actors is probably huge... I understand the scope, but I really doubt the in game story-movie to be anything more then generic and short. So I ask, why waste all the money when you can find good enough actors for 1/10th of the price...
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    mazut said:
    Yeah, I'm kind of disappointed, the salary of this actors is probably huge... I understand the scope, but I really doubt the in game story-movie to be anything more then generic and short. So I ask, why waste all the money when you can find good enough actors for 1/10th of the price...
    http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/440612/mark-hamill-to-star-in-squadron-42-citizencon-videos-star-citizen-mmorpg-com

People are still wondering how much Mark Hamill cost.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Adjuvant1 said:

Hmm, how much would you charge a personal friend of the last 22 years (since 1994 Wing Commander 3) ?

Have fun
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    mazut said:
    The actors and the cutscenes they are acting in are part of Squadron 42, not Star Citizen.

It's the central story of Squadron 42 that's being filmed. Those cutscenes form the backdrop of the action in the game, they set the tone and atmosphere of the game. Anyone that played the Wing Commander series will understand this.

These are not voice-overs for some generic "kill-10-rats" NPC quest giver in an MMO.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Jasonos said:
    LOl my thoughts exactly,two identical threads coming rolling in at the same time ,it is pretty obvious.

I wonder if mods step in to amalgamate one thread like they do with users,100% not ,double standards anyone?
    Also splitting it into two with multi bait clicks for each is like 4-6 clicks for what should be 1.Nice way to respect users again /not.

Guess they should also change their policies page and put some truth in there.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    May be this is a good sign, I do not beleive that Gillian would be part of vapor ware or something that did not live up to its promise.

She is a actor.

You can make a C-game and pay her enough to do voice acting or get her morphed into the game without her asking any questions.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    "her gun handling was better than others...she looked good,she good capture the combat set"umm some serious ass kissing there,lol .Wonder what his wife thinks,oh yeah no where to be found here,she's getting paid as a top end exec to follow her Hollywood career.That is why even the dumbest media were all over this guys spending and where the money is going.

I really get the feeling this guys whole life has been to generate money for a movie hollywood type life,from his wife to now with this game.He is really wasting a lot of money accomplishing very little from his tv movie shorts to this game,i would not consider the multiple millions he has spent on his ventures over the last 10+ years to be much at all.

In an odd way he almost reminds me of Lord British and his infatuation with being able to fly to the moon and constantly seeking money to get him closer to that goal.Well Chris is infatuated with movie/Hollywood but both just seem to be wasting lots of money.It really seems obvious Chris wants to be or thinks he already is some Hollywood director lmao.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Erillion said:
    Adjuvant1 said:

Hmm, how much would you charge a personal friend of the last 22 years (since 1994 Wing Commander 3) ?

Have fun

He may not have a say in it, really. Remember that there's an actors guild which governs minimums, etc. in the industry. I don't even know if it would be possible for Mark to do CR a favor. I'm not an actor, though, so I'm not sure what those rules state. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    Erillion said:

Adjuvant1 said:

Have fun

My standard rate. Because my agent handles the negotiations. Assuming a discount due to personal friendship in insane. Everyone in hollywood is "Friends" so why are they are so effing rich? Unless you have prove that Mark did it for a song, prolly shouldn't talk on this point.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    edited January 2016
    People are really blowing out of proportion the cost of voice acting in games, even for "big name" actors.

A voice actor cost is around $500~$800 for 4 hours (i.e. $200/h), a big name might ask for around $2400/day (8 hours, $300/h), and they can record around 80-100 lines per hour (make that 50 with mocap).

Now take a game like Mass Effect 3 which had 40k lines of dialogues (twice as much as ME1). We are talking about 800 hours to record it and a price tag of $160 000 (make that $200k for retakes, a few bigger names and whatnot). 

Put Star Citizen voice actors at $500/h for 40k lines of dialogues and you get $400 000 in voice acting cost...

I based the maths on this gamasutra article. The $2400/day for big names was taken from another article though.
  • mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    Voice acting o.O wtf are you talking about. They have full roles in motion costumes or whatever they call that. Its as hard if not harder then a normal movie.
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    edited January 2016
    Muke said:

Incomparable said:

She is a actor.

You can make a C-game and pay her enough to do voice acting or get her morphed into the game without her asking any questions.

True, but that hurt her image if SC is a terrible flop, so that means if its in her interest not to be associated with something that could be as bad as some made out the game to be, she would not be part of such a game.

I think if SC flops it would affect her career that she could be associated with not high quality productions considering the internet of things and those that are familiar with SC and its story, which would be a lot of people and something a producer would consider when considering that intangible worth of an actor adding a certain value to their movie.

So I do think SC is in a better position than the negative spin made out the game to be, and its not vapor ware to say the least.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Jasonos said:

Yeah... it went exactly where I was hoping it would when I pledged. I didn't care about some crazy persistent world. Maybe that will succeed.. if so I'll dive in. Instead I cared about remaking the type of game that Wing Commander was. Squadron 42 is looking to be exactly that type of experience.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Erillion said:
    Adjuvant1 said:

Have fun

I'll believe it when Hamill tells me exactly that, and in private.  

Stay skeptical, my friends..... 

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    azarhal said:
    People are really blowing out of proportion the cost of voice acting in games, even for "big name" actors.

A voice actor cost is around $500~$800 for 4 hours (i.e. $200/h), a big name might ask for around $2400/day (8 hours, $300/h), and they can record around 80-100 lines per hour (make that 50 with mocap).

Now take a game like Mass Effect 3 which had 40k lines of dialogues (twice as much as ME1). We are talking about 800 hours to record it and a price tag of $160 000 (make that $200k for retakes, a few bigger names and whatnot). 

Put Star Citizen voice actors at $500/h for 40k lines of dialogues and you get $400 000 in voice acting cost...

I based the maths on this gamasutra article. The $2400/day for big names was taken from another article though.

Saw it reported as a 66 day shoot.  At one of the premiere mocap studios in the world.  Probably not including added pick ups in that number.  That's not just 4 hours worth of voice acting  expense. 

It was a game stretch goal, but it depends on how crazy they went on the costs.   One or two mil, no problem.   Twenty mil, and you have to start questioning priorities.  How much is 'getting the blood flow in the faces' worth?

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.