Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera did something interesting... I think i know why

xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
About a week ago Tera announced they won't have anything new until March. The forums exploded with how dare they not compete with B&S, what are they thinking why would they let them roll right over them?

The guild i'm in were all shouting out how Tera wronged them, and about a week later'ish when B&S launched, wtf what noticeable population drop in game and even the guild i'm in... it's only me in the guild now when it was at least 15 to 40 active every-night (literally dead).

I think Tera made the right move, no matter what they did the swarm would move to check this game out, and in about a month or two when the honeymoon is over, novelty has worn off, guess what Tera gonna have new shiny stuff, lol.

Me, i'm still playing Tera (I'm fairly new to it still, about 6 months) and in about a month or two I'll check this game out, most likely. Interestingly enough, when i cue for a dungeon i'm getting in faster than i did when it seemed like tons of players around. So obviously not everyone is a lemming, but i think i gotta find a new guild that's for sure. lol

And please this isn't a bash on the shiny crowd as this is coming from someone who was practically the leader of the swarm, i've never seen this side before, never, because before i'd be right there playing B&S too. Interesting side to see is all, and yea i think Tera made a really smart call there.
My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I was subbed to Rift back when SWTOR released. SWTOR was the best thing that ever happened to Rift. Soon after, Rift's population significantly increased. Chat was constantly flooded with SWTOR refugees.

So, yeah, wait until the BNS hype train runs out of steam and be ready to welcome in some stragglers.
  • SararielSarariel Member UncommonPosts: 301
    I can't imagine going back to Tera's rooting combat after experiencing true action combat with BNS
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    What was the game? unfortunately i can't think of the name atm.

Essentially, I was on the incoming side too... happily playing along... paying my monthly sub, great guild, no problems getting quality vet players for pugs even, then the f2p day came, i remember looking froward to it, more peeps, more fun right? NOPE!

Cue's dreadful cues, server instability, roll the dice groups, new servers that only merged about a year later, the guild fell apart from those opposed to f2p, those who didn't like it now that it's f2p, way to much chat to make heads or tails of any meaningful conversation. Mostly crap trash talk anyway.

The game literally was never the same lol. Seen this side too. It's so much better if they just pick a model and stick to it. So yeah anyway, i'll definitely check this game out in a couple months. Hearing enough love and hate so it's probably worth a peek.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Sarariel said:
    I can't imagine going back to Tera's rooting combat after experiencing true action combat with BNS
    This. After playing B&S and Black Desert with real action combat, Tera is just a thing of the past. But for Tera fans who are currently trying B&S, the OP has a point. Loyal fans will eventually go back to their preferred game. It happens with WoW every time.

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    No matter how poor a game actually is, new trumps all.  They are doing it right.

Same as if a girl leaves you for another guy and you want her back, don't try get her back right away.  Wait a while till the "new car smell" goes and move in and take her back with ease.

Blade and Soul and BD are both pretty poor games, the only reason people say otherwise is because they have incredible short memories and are dazzled by *-*n-e-w*-*.

Once people get to endgame and are grinding the same inane boring rubbish over and over they will see it for what it actually is, at best blade and soul is a part time game you play for pvp.  Black desert is worse still.
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Tera probably has the best combat IMO. Fun and probably the most challenging I've come across in the genre. You really do have to think and time the skills just right with being rooted.

Most other systems make it easy to get out of mistakes. This game does punish you for it.

It's my go to game for when I want challenge.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    scorpex-x said:
    No matter how poor a game actually is, new trumps all.  They are doing it right.

Same as if a girl leaves you for another guy and you want her back, don't try get her back right away.  Wait a while till the "new car smell" goes and move in and take her back with ease.

Blade and Soul and BD are both pretty poor games, the only reason people say otherwise is because they have incredible short memories and are dazzled by *-*n-e-w*-*.

Once people get to endgame and are grinding the same inane boring rubbish over and over they will see it for what it actually is, at best blade and soul is a part time game you play for pvp.  Black desert is worse still.
    Those players are not the target customers and are just FOTM hoppers.
    Any MMO should not build their game on these players.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Yea it's just weird i tell ya, weird, long story (nutshell) i came across Tera not too long ago and it really clicked with me where most games don't at the level I'm talking, it has allot to do with the overall feel, the music, the player base, the atmosphere, gathering , alts (and ways to level alts), crafting, the progression it's all good enough, better or great but it's all there (the things i like) and yea the combat too, err maybe the boobs, nah but anyway it still clicks!!! but...

Last night as an example you can't help but feel like you're missing out or lonely haha, even though i know there are still plenty of peeps playing Tera, fastest dungeon group connects ever. Only need to get into a more dedicated guild.

But you can't help but feel like you're missing out, like missing out on a party. It's a Little harder to get into the game at the beginning off the evening, then all of a sudden a couple hours passed <snap> like that and you realize how much you still enjoy the game. Then you ask yourself, what did i miss? Frustration of cues, server instability, playing with peeps you know are only there to be a PITA cause it's the new, meh i can wait and but then who knows by then maybe i won't, lol. Yea i know i will at some point, haha.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Animation lock in Tera sucks I have to admit.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Sarariel said:
    This. After playing B&S and Black Desert with real action combat, Tera is just a thing of the past. But for Tera fans who are currently trying B&S, the OP has a point. Loyal fans will eventually go back to their preferred game. It happens with WoW every time.
    I have much love for TERA and enjoyed my time with it but I dont see my self ever going back now that I am playing Blade And Soul and with Black Desert right around the corner. I am set for 2016.  B)
    Well reading comments such i could never go back to Tera after playing B&S, i totally caved and joined the party.

Installed and logged straight into B&S (no cue on a new server). I gotta say immediately it felt like i was playing ArchAge, that kinda turned me off. Then it felt like Tera in the way controls are exactly like Tera, then out in the world it felt like Aion, then it felt like every MMO on the planet, OK this hub, proceed down to this hub, and then felt like a linear single player game. The story though, was compelling.

I'm new to Tera, and now to B&S and for me Tera is a far better game (to me). I can see peeps burned out on Tera thinking B&S is better to them. Bottom line i won't be uninstalling just yet but i really don't feel like i'll be spending much more time in it. I logged into Tera later that night and felt like f&ck i could have spent that time playing Tera, lol. The whole experience for me was Meh, where Tera i hated it at first but something drew me back to play where i ended up loving it, there was never any Meh in Tera for me.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Sarariel said:
    I personally couldn't stand the constant rooting nonsense in Tera and find B&S superior in combat. Unfortunately Tera still has the trinity and B&S not, and i prefer tanks and healers in my games. The group dynamic, which is the most important aspect of any MMO to me, is far better in Tera, even if i can't stand the game.
  • BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562
    A major reason I enjoy TERAs combat more is the collision, it just feels weird without it.
    Alders said:
    Sarariel said:
    I personally couldn't stand the constant rooting nonsense in Tera and find B&S superior in combat. Unfortunately Tera still has the trinity and B&S not, and i prefer tanks and healers in my games. The group dynamic, which is the most important aspect of any MMO to me, is far better in Tera, even if i can't stand the game.
    Funny thing (rooting) was "one" of the things i loathed about Tera and made me hate it initially. I'm so used to it and accustom to it now that i found myself staying rooted in B&S at first. lol

Like i said I'm going to check it out some more but so far I'm not feeling the "superior combat" (YES it is a neat style of combat I'll give it that, the combos and stuff, yea it's pretty good) but if anything it feels like easy mode and far less challenging, if that make any sense.

I'm not trashing B&S it's pretty good overall, but for me when a game feels way too much like other games or even worse a mix mash of several games i don't feel it's identity and i can't identify with it.

• tet666tet666 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Could never get into Tera while i kinda liked the combat it was the questing that killed it for me it was the most boring experience i had in any MMO so far, it didn't help that the the world and lore felt extremely generic and uninteresting as well.
    BnS not only has better and more interesting combat the questing,gemeworld and story in general is worlds apart from Teras atrocious leveling experience.
  • Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780
    Thing is bns combat is way better than Tera, it's also a really good game.

• sui2ksui2k Member UncommonPosts: 30
    saow .. why is this thread actualy in the BnS Section? 
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    sui2k said:
    saow .. why is this thread actualy in the BnS Section? 
    Forum warfare 101. Post a thread in the forum guaranteed to generate some detractors on both sides. 

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    edited January 2016
    I really liked Tera for a while. However, at least in my opinion Blade and Soul blows it out of the water. Honestly, I wouldn't expect a ton of players to return to Tera. It really doesn't have anything better to offer then B&S. At least that's how I feel after playing both.

On the other hand I feel that Black Desert trumps both games. From it's combat to it's depth of game play all the way to its graphics. It's is leaps and bounds above Tera. 
    edited January 2016
    UMMM HELLO!!! The BnS servers are down and i can't log in, need i say any more on my opinion on this matter. lol

I was enjoying Tera so much but BnS i have no clue how it did it, but... i'm already subbed and hooked. I wouldn't go as far as say I'd never play Tera again though, and who the heck knows when BD hits.

I'm subbed because believe it or not i had 960 ncoin left over from when i bailed on Wildstar, a month sub is 959. I was getting bothered with the cue so said what the heck may as well blow those coins i only want to check this game out a little more and next thing i know, i'm hooked.

• NightliteNightlite Member UncommonPosts: 227
    We will see how long everyone can enjoy arena dueling.. Tera has some stuff going for it, wouldn't be where it is if it didn't.
    Yea as i said i wouldn't go as far as say I'd never play Tera again.

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    PvP wise, BnS has the upper hand, PvE, Tera dominates.  Overall they're very different games, there are major things in Tera that appeal to many people that don't exist in BnS, the same in reverse. 

tbh not sure what people deem as true action combat, both are true action combat handled differently imho. BnS just has bit more freedom when fighting, but you do have to face the target before you can press a button.  
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Herase said:
    PvP wise, BnS has the upper hand, PvE, Tera dominates.  Overall they're very different games, there are major things in Tera that appeal to many people that don't exist in BnS, the same in reverse. 

tbh not sure what people deem as true action combat, both are true action combat handled differently imho. BnS just has bit more freedom when fighting, but you do have to face the target before you can press a button.  

They are both fun games, and quite similar in many respects.  Now is really not the time to compare.  BnS is the new girl on the block so she is going to get all of the attention for now.  Only time will tell which one most players will eventually settle into.  I've always liked TERA, but I am totally into BnS right now.  TERA may or may not get me back some day, but right now BnS is geting all of my attention.  

They are both fun games, and quite similar in many respects.  Now is really not the time to compare.  BnS is the new girl on the block so she is going to get all of the attention for now.  Only time will tell which one most players will eventually settle into.  I've always liked TERA, but I am totally into BnS right now.  TERA may or may not get me back some day, but right now BnS is geting all of my attention.  
    Exactly! You nailed it.

I know I'm dealing with the "new" factor, and trust me there are things that bother me way more about BnS than TERA, the ArchAge feel in BnS is something i hope to get past. Where as TERA overall feels like it's own game, TERA is TERA, BnS is a well put together mix mash with it's own unique combat, however the more you play BnS it starts to feel like its own game.

I'm going to continue to play both, but as you said BnS is going to get more attention right now. As someone posted new trumps all.