Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Overpower: MMO style medieval shooter

FranciscourantFranciscourant Member UncommonPosts: 356
edited January 2016 in General Gaming
Overpower just started their campaign on KS and they're asking for $22,000. Apparently it would be enough money to polish the animations, add a few things and launch Closed Beta on Steam next month (February 2016). 4 guys are behind this project and the earliest screenshots I've found were posted back in May 2014 on Facebook.

The key features:
-MMORPG style character progression: upgrading gears, discovering abilities, unlocking classes, crafting weapons (this one is mentioned in KS video but I've not seen anything related to crafting on KS page)
-70+ class abilities
-several different maps
-dynamic storyline 
-Skill based combat resembling Counter Strike, Quake, Unreal Tournament

This game would be for people who enjoy MMO style PvP but don't want to spend months on the grind.

Comments

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Hmm? Same concept as Overwatch then? Except Fantasy themed? Not bad.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    They're not even trying to disguise the clone attempt, lol !

Looks like a re-skinned Overwatch, and even uses half of the name of the original...
  • FranciscourantFranciscourant Member UncommonPosts: 356
    Yea I agree, I've just watched an Overwatch gameplay video and they seem to share similarities. 

• carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    WOW! Are they serious? That is just re-skinned Overwatch. FAIL!
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Yeah, I've been watching this one for a couple months. The concept is pretty close to what I've been asking for for years.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    carotid said:
    I would gladly play both if Overpower is as good as Overwatch.
  • carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    bcbully said:
    carotid said:
    Why? Same gameplay. Redundancy is redundant.  O.o
    edited January 2016
    They're not even trying to disguise the clone attempt, lol !

Looks like a re-skinned Overwatch, and even uses half of the name of the original...
    First mention I've found of "Overwatch" by medias was April 5th 2014. If I'm correct, Blizzard filed Overwatch trademark on April 1st 2014: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn86239314&docId=APP20140404074104#docIndex=1&page=1

At that time, it seems the team behind Overpower already had a playable version of the game, presented all four classes and published screenshots on their Overpower tumblr.
    edited January 2016
    carotid said:
    Overpower developers published this before Overwatch was announced by gaming news sites:

"Early game play images in a test level. We are still in the functionality building stages of the game!"

http://56.media.tumblr.com/7c50237c17c8822aeba2d57c2d64d670/tumblr_n3h67ld6xM1rd0tvao2_1280.jpg
    http://56.media.tumblr.com/8842e591ec22c7ecf451834372d737c7/tumblr_n3h66qZl1N1rd0tvao1_1280.jpg

"Here are the first 4 classes in Overpower. The mighty axe slinging warrior! The nimble and swift ranger! The powerful and cocky mage! Lastly, the sneaky and deadly assassin!"

http://opgame.tumblr.com/
  • OverpowerGameOverpowerGame Member CommonPosts: 1
    carotid said:
    bcbully said:
    carotid said:
    Why? Same gameplay. Redundancy is redundant.  O.o
    Hi everyone! I'm Adam, developer of Overpower / Game designer / 3d artist / the dude in the kickstarter video.  I'm happy to see people discussing our Kickstarter here. I wanted to note a few differences between Overpower and Overwatch and you guys can decide for yourself.

I've been developing Overpower with my friend for the last 2 years, we came up with the name before the Blizzcon announcement of Overwatch.

Overpower is a class based game, who's intention is to offer MMO style PvP based character progression to players without time actually grind out a normal MMORPG game.

Overwatch is a "champion" based game with fixed abilities. Classes in Overpower can swap out abilities and gear (like an MMO) and create a customized playstyle.

Overpower is medieval 3rd person, Overwatch is Sci - Fi 1st person.

Overpower has Deathmatch / Team Deathmatch / CTF / Last Team Standing / Control Point game modes

Overwatch has Payload / Point Capture, 2 different game modes, with plans to add more.

Overwatch is also developed by Blizzard, spawned from Project Titan. Overpower is developed by myself and my friends as a passion project without funding. 

We will be releasing a playable single player demo  vs AI in the upcoming days to help promote our Kickstarter and I encourage you all to try it and see for yourself. :)

-Adam

We will be releasing a playable single player demo  vs AI in the upcoming days to help promote our Kickstarter and I encourage you all to try it and see for yourself. :)
    Great news, I'm impatient to try this demo. I'm not a fan of fighting NPCs but it should still be fun to test the controls, abilities and combat mechanics.  B)
    edited January 2016
    They've just released a demo with the four classes to try vs. AI, along with a short tutorial video. Pretty fun! The game runs well, graphics look fine, simple and fast paced combat. ^^ (Download link for the demo is in the description of the video)
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    with 1/1000 of the budget .... pass!
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited January 2016
    Multi player Arenas are the new thing now, everyone forgot about mmos and mobas. Lets all join the overwatch train.

I wonder when is EA joining the party too... EDIT: oh wait, EA was the first to join and shut down with Warhammer: Wrath of Heroes.

• DXSinsDXSins Member UncommonPosts: 324
    22K Kickstarter to deliver a game + physical goods (ships to anywhere in the world).... are people really expecting this to turn out well? I guess 90 people atm are lol.
    They've just released a demo with the four classes to try vs. AI, along with a short tutorial video. Pretty fun! The game runs well, graphics look fine, simple and fast paced combat. ^^ (Download link for the demo is in the description of the video)
    Looks fun man. I can't wait to give it a test run.
    MrSyn said:
    22K Kickstarter to deliver a game + physical goods (ships to anywhere in the world).... are people really expecting this to turn out well? I guess 90 people atm are lol.
    The game is already playable (free demo to try combat vs. AI: http://bit.ly/OverpowerPC01) and should be on Steam in February. The additional money from Kickstarter would be used to polish the animations and visual effects.