Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DJ#16 - The Weight and Measure of a Lifetime

124»

Comments

• TimberhickTimberhick Member UncommonPosts: 554
    Hmmm.... if everyone is trying their darnedest to follow along their Soulborn Story isn't that suppose to lead to "Amazing stories. Impossible stories. Stories that can only happen from players doing amazing things."?

Why bother with Story if it leads a player to anonymity?   Is this where you say "well not everyone gets Amazing Stories, isn't immersion awesome!"?
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Hmmm.... if everyone is trying their darnedest to follow along their Soulborn Story isn't that suppose to lead to "Amazing stories. Impossible stories. Stories that can only happen from players doing amazing things."?

Why bother with Story if it leads a player to anonymity?   Is this where you say "well not everyone gets Amazing Stories, isn't immersion awesome!"?
    Well, you know how it goes...

Everyone will have amazing experiences and stories, it's just that some will have more amazing experiences than others... :D

• HabitualFrogStompHabitualFrogStomp Member UncommonPosts: 370
    edited January 2016
    K2SAV said:
    Well.. all i can say is wait for the combat journal to come out, as i don't think making any large claims on the combat portion of the game can be done at this stage yet regarding griefing/etc. Also, the issue they're trying to tackle is the issue EVE online has developed due to elite players that amass wealth and can't be contested by anyone other than the rest of the elite. It really doesn't seem to me that they're "punishing" influence. They're giving it more weight and value and setting a limit on it due to it being extremely powerful/impactfull on everyone else's play experience. You also have to take into account that there will be very few "top dogs", like... only handfuls of players. Also, "a wise developer depends on these types of people and supports them and gives them the tools needed to engage other players" you don't think controlling a kingdom and having all of the freedom you wish to do whatever the hell you want is enough of a tool to be able to engage other players?
    What I'm saying is, why would you? When a player who has achieved such a status that they have the power or ability to influence things on such a massive scale, which can be done even without contrived mechanics to facilitate, why would you engage other players directly if it's at such massive risk to yourself. If I had achieved "legendary" status, do you think I'm going to be worried about using my fame to advance the community in some way? Hell no. The community is my enemy because I can lose massive amounts of playtime on the merit of my status alone. Which is not entirely a bad thing, if it actually made sense and was not a more or less financial punishment. But in a game that preaches story and involving players in the story, it's gonna be a little awkward when nobody ever sees the most famous guy in the world because he's too scared of massive soul loss, and there really being no alternative way for someone "famous" to handle it.

I'd say players will get a little bored of the one trick pony "everyone famous is literally a hermit like no knee cartilage bruce wayne" story.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    So is that the purpose of the game to attain status?
    For some god unknown reason i have yet to find out the purpose of this game lol.
    Like we have all these systems "great" aging "great" pvp "not so great :P" but what is it all for?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• VucarVucar Member UncommonPosts: 311

Greatest capacity for a legendary tale doesn't mean exclusive rights to it. A king just has more opportunities to do something memorable because, well, he has a city under his control. 

It will be harder for the farmer, or the no-name infantry, to find his moment of glory to take away, but he has 12-16 months of game time to play and experience the game to his full enjoyment, and likely will have plenty of opportunities along the way.

The king, because he is at such great risk, will have more of those opportunities packed into his day to day more frequently, due mostly because of his fame, and because of the higher chance of him losing out on a lot of game time. 

Its a trade off, one that has never been tried before to my knowledge. 
  • VucarVucar Member UncommonPosts: 311

Wizardry said:
    For some god unknown reason i have yet to find out the purpose of this game lol.
    Like we have all these systems "great" aging "great" pvp "not so great :P" but what is it all for?
    Why do you play any other mmo? 

To follow the daisy-chain of main story quests that take you through all the regions of the world and the primary storyline? 

To pvp with your friends and win an awesome outnumbered fight and come away like bandits with some nice gear bags?

What is the purpose of any mmo to you?

edited January 2016
    Wizardry said:
    Noone knows what the purpose of the game is currently.
    The Devs say they know, but they aint talking.

All we got is Dev Journals to go by and a couple Q&As and some forum post innuendos from devs.

I'll give credit to Soulbound, for a game with near zero proof of anything, they have the hype train chugging along quite nicely.

• GrelfGrelf Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Wizardry said:
    You set your own purpose and follow that as you want.
  • Deffcon_1Deffcon_1 Member UncommonPosts: 164
    Wizardry said:
    Noone knows what the purpose of the game is currently.
    The Devs say they know, but they aint talking.

All we got is Dev Journals to go by and a couple Q&As and some forum post innuendos from devs.

I'll give credit to Soulbound, for a game with near zero proof of anything, they have the hype train chugging along quite nicely.

If you joined the community you would see they have proof. Just because they arent posting everything to the public or giving it out on MMORPG.com doesnt mean they havent shown proof to the community.
    Screen shots and a couple 5 second vids does not prove anything.

That could just as easily be some computer animation student's semester project.
  • Deffcon_1Deffcon_1 Member UncommonPosts: 164

That could just as easily be some computer animation student's semester project.
    And it can just as easily by some pictures and vids of the game running in their world with their engine. You have zero proof that its not.
    And you have zero proof it is.

What an impasse.

• MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374

It's been more than 5 seconds of video.
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240