Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hero's Song - The Game John Smedley Has Always Wanted to Make a Interviews at MMORPG.com

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• pudgybunnybrypudgybunnybry Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Ilaya said:
    Sry Smed and CohCarnage, i had enough Pixels already for YEARS on Sinclair ZX Spectrum & C64 (and more). I don't need more of them in the timeline of VR next to our Doorstep. And also on top, you must already have a big pocket, considering all the connections you have. And you ask for Kickstarter? Some ppl does not shame at all.

You won't see a single € from me.
    */spit*

Surely games like Shenmue 3 and Psychonauts 2, two very well received franchises, could have secured funding in some other way than crowd funding. It's not that big of a stretch that Smedley is using crowdfunding to help fund this game.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    GeezerGamer said:
    John Smedley needs a KickStarter? He can't find investors? What does that tell you?

Seriously, WTF......

It tells you investors are only interested in the next "WoW-killer"? Nothing else, really.
  • BunnykingBunnyking Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Sounded interesting. Saw the style/art and moved on. Not for me.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    I don't mind 2D graphic . Instead i always want to make one , cause you can create many thing in 2D that 3D can't put in .
    Personally , i think the game need some CG to make the UI look better.

But the concept don't sound right . The interview sound like a landmine , something not right here .
    I mean , it sound pretty normal in 90s singleplayer game , you play and become god at the end , but wrong in many ways when use it in MMO(RPG ?)

Being god is boring , specially in multiplayer . You know naughty Zeus , but you can't act like him in multiplayer game .

• PissedjediPissedjedi Member UncommonPosts: 31
    I know some are going to get upset but lets be clear when was the last totally successful game he was behind? Its been years. It amazes me how the gaming industry will allow one good game to all off a sudden mean that game designer is not a failure so every time they release a new game lets get everyone hyped about it. This is why we do need new game blood in this industries with new ideas that really push the industry forward. Instead we get old game designers who instead of learning are going retro? Blah.
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    I know some are going to get upset but lets be clear when was the last totally successful game he was behind? Its been years. It amazes me how the gaming industry will allow one good game to all off a sudden mean that game designer is not a failure so every time they release a new game lets get everyone hyped about it. This is why we do need new game blood in this industries with new ideas that really push the industry forward. Instead we get old game designers who instead of learning are going retro? Blah.
    " I " think DCUO hasn't realized its potential yet and is going to become more than a little more popular if they ad right with the upcoming movies. It's always been a solid game, maybe a little niche, with decent mechanisms and flavor.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    tom_gore said:
    GeezerGamer said:
    John Smedley needs a KickStarter? He can't find investors? What does that tell you?

Seriously, WTF......

It tells you investors are only interested in the next "WoW-killer"? Nothing else, really.
    That or they're not interested in anything that calls itself an MMORPG.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Do you reject Smedley and all his works?

I do reject him.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    GeezerGamer said:

Seriously, WTF......

Which tells you what a joke he currently is in the industry, and what being an "industry veteran" is actually worth.

No one knows the hacks in an industry, like the other people in that industry.

That none of them will touch this effort says all anyone should need to know.
  • donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    30 years in the industry and he can't find anyone to invest in his game? Nice art style, if the game was made in 1995 maybe. This has even less chance of getting funded that that shitshow Pantheon did. Don't most kickstarters usually give you a discount on the game for backing it early? Hey Smed, you are doing it wrong again man. This guy is shameless, what a turd.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Why are all these industrie-vets that became multimillionaires over time asking the regular Joe people to donate and fund games they "wanted to make since forever" ?
    "We start this and that once we reach the 1mio mark on kickstarter".

If you wanted to make this game since forever, put one of your own millions into it and start out just today!

And if you trust in your product, you should be very positive about getting the money back after release anyway.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    There may be undisclosed money already in this project but when I saw the KS the first thing I thought was "Did they accidentally add an extra zero to that total?". Seems rather high for a 2d game but then again Smedley is trying to add decent talent to the team.

You stay sassy!

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Really I bet his website will be dos attacked and be down more than it is up Smed retire you've more chance of raising the titanic than getting my support for any game you make. 2D says it all he lacks talent!

Asbo

• hardsun79hardsun79 Member UncommonPosts: 66
    garrett said:
    After talking with John yesterday, I am really digging this game and how it is designed. As a huge fan of Ultima Online we talked a lot about that style of game. This combines a lot of Ultima, old EQ, with new stuff like Minecraft and Terraria. I'm in :) Just as long as there is an Orc style race....

Just go play Haven and Hearth - it took best from UO and added more actually.
  • EldrythEldryth Member UncommonPosts: 18
    For those interested, there's a new tier out that gets you the game for $15.  No beta, but you do get a discount now.
  • ElElyonElElyon Member UncommonPosts: 219
    After watching the kickstarter video I really like what they are doing.
    I'm excited about this!
    I really like how some of these big name companies are going away from making the graphics a high priority. Graphics do not make a game, the gameplay makes the game.
    I hope more companies jump on this bandwagon.
  • DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    HOLY CRAPBALLS!!! Isometric 2D graphics and permadeath... that's so awesome and original and ... ugh.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• odelldanieljodelldanielj Member UncommonPosts: 25
    lol, if Smedley is involved, it's a safe bet he'll make all kinds of promises, deliver on zero of said promises, and the game will be out of business a few years after it's launched.
  • PurplePoloPlayerPurplePoloPlayer Member UncommonPosts: 145
    By the time this releases I will be fully engrossed with Albion Online, Camelot Unchained, Crowfall, and other titles. I'm not sure this leaves much free time for another game. Still I am a fan of hardcore games. As much as the graphics turn me off, I may consider backing if it's close to funding.
    Check out my stream at www.twitch.tv/purplepoloplayer!
  • KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    John Smedley is irrelevant, just like the thousands of other amateur/indie devs now.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    I really don't get it. Given the raw power of today's hardware coupled with the capabilities of 5 year or even 10 year old game engines like HL2's Source engine, why the fuck would anyone want to make/play something so fucking ugly.

I just don't get it. Minecraft, may be the perfect sandbox for some but it's FUGLY as fook. There's just no need to destroy a perfectly good game idea with shitty 16 bit graphics. It's not arty, or hip, or retro. It's just shit old 16 bit pixelated crap.

I can understand the guy behind Minecraft working alone trying to make something but a company with investors or a kickstarter? Inflicting this shit on a paying public?

It's one thing to say gameplay over graphics. It's something else to make something that looks 20+ years out of date.
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Smed's Daybreak severance package could pay for this entire game by itself but why not leech off gamers, they're dumb enough. Lets all just forget he's been vocally against these games and has been obliterating old school MMO's for the past decade.
  • LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Clarifying a few things from the kickstarter responses from the devs:  1) PC only (no mobile, MAC, console) 2) Servers hosted by each client (i.e. ripe for cheating and hacks).  Graphics don't look 1995 to me, more like 1988.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Letsinod said:
    Clarifying a few things from the kickstarter responses from the devs:  1) PC only (no mobile, MAC, console) 2) Servers hosted by each client (i.e. ripe for cheating and hacks).  Graphics don't look 1995 to me, more like 1988.
    Yup this is 4th gen console tech. 

You stay sassy!