Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com : General : Future Game Engines: Improbable | SpatialOS

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2016 in Videos Discussion

imageMMORPG.com : General : Future Game Engines: Improbable | SpatialOS

Free MMORPG List and MMO Games at MMORPG.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• ZirIceZirIce Member UncommonPosts: 3
    This will revolutionize the game industry if it can actually bring to the table what it promises. VR-MMO's could become a reality in the next few years. Cool beans. Thanks for covering this RipperX.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Xeno.phonXeno.phon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    edited January 2016
    Sounds great, parallel computing is the future of basically everything digital. Though that World Apart game actually looked like pure ass, but hey I am sure they will put real textures in before launch.
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    basicly a new server envoirement?

intresting stuff. altho i cant find that much info on the web about it?

Do they have a website?
  • NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    One step closer to fulfilling the dream of virtual world building in MMOs. I like it.
  • heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    Now use this engine running on a professionally managed cloud server infrastructure like Microsoft Azure - building virtual worlds? How about virtual universes!
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    edited January 2016
    The engine I have been waiting for for years. Hopefully a true fantasy exploration game with real social mechanics will arise.

You stay sassy!

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    The vocal minority vs the silent majority. Still so many people play wow because it can run on the same pc when the game was first released.
  • redripredrip MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 224
    ZirIce said:
    This will revolutionize the game industry if it can actually bring to the table what it promises. VR-MMO's could become a reality in the next few years. Cool beans. Thanks for covering this RipperX.

I think there's a lot of potential with it, especially with ION and World's Adrift coming out in the near future. Again originally I thought this was an engine, but it's more a simulation system that can be used with Engines ie. Unreal4, Unity etc, to make more intelligent and interactive worlds. This could definitely be huge for future MMO's using this sort of technology. We shall see!
  • Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Why does it remind me so much of Skynet's neural-net processor?

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited January 2016
    Copperfield said:
    basicly a new server envoirement?

intresting stuff. altho i cant find that much info on the web about it?

Do they have a website?

yes they do :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    This is the direct definition of this which is basically an OS/operating system.

The SpatialOS platform, developed by Improbable, was unveiled at the Slush startup conference in Helsinki on Wednesday (11 November). It is effectively an operating system that allows developers to build detailed, dynamic worlds on an enormous scale, in real time, by harnessing the power of hundreds or even thousands of cloud computing servers.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/simulation-startup-improbable-wants-make-matrix-possible-1528281

Basically what this does is utilize Cloud gaming.
    The part i find sort of skeptical is practical use.First of all they claim it can "predict the future" So yes as user above points out it sounds sort of like the matrix.

In real practical use,the cloud setup offers the "possibilities" but i don't see it happening.WHO is going to write all that code and AI?You might have 1 milllion entities that all react realistically but still someone has to write that AI and no it will NEVER be able to predict the future but only make calculated assumptions,so again more code.

The same thing i have been saying about VR gaming,we can't get developers to commit into in depth high quality game designs as is,so how can we expect them to start branching out even further without jeopardizing the low o average quality we already have?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725
    Thousands of servers can serve large terrains? Hurdur. how much will the cloud providers charge?