Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Angry Joes Impressions: The Division One Hour of Gameplay

ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

Comments

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    I dont get it. He calls himself "Angry" but he isnt, in fact the opposite. 
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    yaminsux said:
    I dont get it. He calls himself "Angry" but he isnt, in fact the opposite. 
    He saves his rage for the review
    The whole door closing thing seems like a cheap useless gimmick for advertisement.  Why cant people open them up at least to use as cover?  Some things could be better but still getting the game as I like what I see overall.
  • donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    Oh my, That AI looks really really bad. This might even end up being worse than watchdogs. 
    edited January 2016
    donger56 said:
    Oh my, That AI looks really really bad. This might even end up being worse than watchdogs. 
    AI seem pretty good when they went inside the instance with the Elites.  They try to flank you, push you back, and they take cover.  At the start the AI didnt have much chance to take cover and or anything since they snuck up on them from the side and started going guns blazing.  And they were all in a group. Theres a sneak mechanic.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    He has reigned it in a lot I he has some pretty pissed reviews.
  • heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    edited January 2016
    Yep, looks like Destiny-light.

Destiny without cool armor, awesome abilities, fun weapons, or interesting enemies.

And without real multiplayer.

Or strikes.

Or raids.

So until Destiny comes to PC, you can waste time on Division.

Destiny with story?

Hah, must not have played Taken King, or ever read the Grimoire.

And Destiny did have a great story, it just wasn't presented very well in the original release. It was/is there, it was/is good, and only an idiot (Angry Joe) would dismiss it.

It wasn't written for children who need every last detail explained and spelled out for them in crayon. Discovery, mystery, and learning over time are a PART of the story. Duh!

Finally, how long until "grungy New York" gets old to look at?

Sadly, typical Ubisoft - lots of hype, omg you haven't seen nothing yet it's going to be amazing!

And then you get Assassin's Creed Unity.
    Post edited by heerobya on
    heerobya said:
    "Yep, looks like Destiny-light."

"Destiny without cool armor, awesome abilities, fun weapons, or interesting enemies."

This isnt super science fiction like Destiny, its modern sci-fi post apocalyptic.  Its cool if your not into that.
    I mean fallout doesnt have the types of aesthetics as Destiny, does that mean fallout sucks?  Many people in fallout wear regular looking cloths instead of power armor or other sci-fi armor.

"And without real multiplayer."

This has open world PvP and PvE, not arena based PvP.  Whats real multiplayer?  Because they were all grouped and co -oping with each other and then there are videos with PvP gameplay where your own group mates can turn against you or you encounter another group.

"Or raids."

Devs said many times it will have end game raids.
    I like Destiny but I dont see why I cant play both and like both?  Especially since they offer different types of gameplay and premise/story

In the same way I like final fantasy series but that doesnt stop me from playing other JRPGs or Western RPGs.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    That was the first good look I've had at the game play, and I have to agree with AJ: "I am encouraged"

The character building via talents and gear looks fairly extensive.
    Only concern there is:
    • if there's so much of it, how much of it will actually make a significant difference ?
    • if there are significant differences for high level characters and gear, how will that affect open PVP ?

And my enduring doubt is still whether there will be enough variation to keep players coming back after the first month...
    edited January 2016
    It looks like a fairly competent 3rd person ARPG with light shooter/cover mechanics.

Like the Mass Effects, but with more integrated multiplayer/co-op.

Not a bad thing, I enjoyed the sh!t out of some ME3 MP, but compared to Destiny looks pretty 'meh' to me, that's for sure - especially on longevity once you beat the story.

In fact the more I look at it, the more it looks like the multiplayer they put into ME3. Like, if you looked at videos of Divison co-op PvE and ME3 multiplayer side by side, you'd be like "oh it's the same game but one is hard sci-fi and the other is modern-ish."

Seriously-http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mass+effect+3+multiplayer&&view=detail&mid=DFB9BDA72D32D6CFAF9ADFB9BDA72D32D6CFAF9A&FORM=VRDGAR

(skip to about 8:30)
    heerobya said:
    Or strikes.
    As for "Strikes", all they are is public quests.  Guild Wars 2 have them, Rift have them, Final Fantasy XIV have them.  They arent anything special.  After a while I tend to just ignore them in mmos because they get repetitive and boring.
  • SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    More like Angry Joke imo.
    heerobya said:
    It looks like a fairly competent 3rd person ARPG with light shooter/cover mechanics.

Like the Mass Effects, but with more integrated multiplayer/co-op.

Not a bad thing, I enjoyed the sh!t out of some ME3 MP, but compared to Destiny looks pretty 'meh' to me, that's for sure - especially on longevity once you beat the story.

In fact the more I look at it, the more it looks like the multiplayer they put into ME3. Like, if you looked at videos of Divison co-op PvE and ME3 multiplayer side by side, you'd be like "oh it's the same game but one is hard sci-fi and the other is modern-ish."

Seriously-http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mass+effect+3+multiplayer&&view=detail&mid=DFB9BDA72D32D6CFAF9ADFB9BDA72D32D6CFAF9A&FORM=VRDGAR

(skip to about 8:30)
    Before Mass Effect, Gears of War had third person shooter/cover mechanics and before that Resident Evil was a third person over the shoulder shooter as well.  And none of them were any less awesome because of that.  Do you want me to list the number of first person shooters that Destiny is similar to or how many mmo mechanics Destiny borrowed from other mmos?
    3rd person over the shoulder action RPG with light shooter mechanics.

That is not Gears or Resident evil. And not the same level of co-op multiplayer.

Try again though!

Destiny is a shooter, FPS first and foremost - and does very, very well in that regard. The RPG is secondary to the FPS.

Division looks to be heavier on the RPG side.

Again, not saying that is a bad thing - I had a hell of a good time with ME3 multiplayer, I'm just saying Division looks so similar, there is nothing really all that revolutionary about Division.

It's the action/combat and RPG of a Mass Effect 3 in the connected/online multiplayer public/private/phased world of Destiny.

So, like I said initially - the Division, whole thing looks kind of "meh" because I think it has been done better, much better, with more content in a better universe/world with other games.

That is obviously based solely on the impression I got from watching the video in the OP, but being a MMO gamer for 10+ years and a gamer for 25+ years, I can get a LOT out of an hour long play through video.

My biggest concern with Divison is - what's next? After I beat the story, is there Dark Zone and.... ?

Is the game living/breathing and evolving/changing with DLC/expansions a few times a year like Destiny?

If so, Division may be worth checking out.

But the action RPG shooter-light gameplay doesn't look to hold a candle, IMO, to the rock-solid Bungie FPS that is Destiny.
    heerobya said:

You have convinced me that you wont play The Division

So I assume when Star Citizen comes out you will move on to that?  Since Destiny doesnt hold a candle, not even a fraction to that game. I mean its in alpha and its already larger and have more features than destiny.
    edited January 2016
    heerobya said:

You have convinced me that you wont play The Division

So I assume when Star Citizen comes out you will move on to that?  Since Destiny doesnt hold a candle, not even a fraction to that game. I mean its in alpha and its already larger and have more features than destiny.

Star Citizen is the biggest joke in gaming since.... ever?

The gameplay I have seen (even recent stuff) is about as solid as my last shit.

See, I believe what makes a game really good is the moment to moment gameplay. Sure things can sound sweet on paper, or in a video, and there can be some great moments scripted up or as the result of complex interactions...

But if the moment to moment, button press by button press, second by second gameplay is not fun... it's not a good game (to me) and doesn't last long.

The moment to moment gameplay in Destiny, as a FPS, is nearly perfect. The combination of guns and abilities and movement and enemies and environments etc. is ridiculously fun and makes you feel powerful. The RPG back end and MMO-like systems add to the immersion and (honestly) addiction.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer had a similar gameplay "hook" in that it was simply FUN to play the horde mode MP over and over and over. The RPG back end added to the immersion and addiction.

Star Citizen looks boring AF.

The Division looks OK, it's impossible to know without playing it, but I'm just not impressed by the visuals, the environment, the limited details I've seen on the story/setting, or the multiplayer feature set.

It looks like a generic 3rd person ARPG with light-shooter mechanics, as I have said over and over.
    Even if the story is top notch, I don't see anything that leads me to believe there will be long-term viability, as I think the whole Dark Zone gimmick is a TERRIBLE attempt/version of something similar to what you'd find in an MMO.

It's going to be a campers/griefers paradise, and unless there is other high-end multiplayer and especially high-end PvE without a PvP component, like ANY AND EVERY game that tries to force PvP the audience and lasting reach will be extremely limited.

It's like they failed to research or straight up ignored/were ignorant of 15+ years of MMO design successes and failures when they dreamt up the Dark Zone thing. Like, "hey I have this great idea, let's make a high-end zone in the game with the ebst possible gear, and let's put challenging PvE stuff in there, but here's the twist - let's make it fully PvP enabled with about zero real consequence for people acting like asshole's, and let's make our combat system so much more RPG than FPS because nothing says "great PvP" like having success determined 90% by your gear!"

It's a no-lifers / griefers PARADISE. Good luck with that Ubi...
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    heerobya said:

It's going to be a campers/griefers paradise, and unless there is other high-end multiplayer and especially high-end PvE without a PvP component, like ANY AND EVERY game that tries to force PvP the audience and lasting reach will be extremely limited.

It's like they failed to research or straight up ignored/were ignorant of 15+ years of MMO design successes and failures when they dreamt up the Dark Zone thing. Like, "hey I have this great idea, let's make a high-end zone in the game with the ebst possible gear, and let's put challenging PvE stuff in there, but here's the twist - let's make it fully PvP enabled with about zero real consequence for people acting like asshole's, and let's make our combat system so much more RPG than FPS because nothing says "great PvP" like having success determined 90% by your gear!"

It's a no-lifers / griefers PARADISE. Good luck with that Ubi...
    Maybe, maybe not...

The twist in the Dark Zone ganking is that if you die as a rogue, you lose a large chunk of DZ XP points. Lose enough DZ XP, and it could mean that you can't equip any of the sweet DZ loot, which may make your next gank attempt rather difficult.

And the other really interesting twist is that if you kill a rogue agent (a.k.a. ganker), you will earn a large chunk of DZ XP. So vigilante/police type players have a strong incentive to hunt evil dudes. Few PVP games provide any meaningful reward for being the "good guys".

You also don't lose any gear that you had before entering the DZ. The only loot you'll drop is stuff you got during the current session and haven't extracted for decontamination yet.

Will these mechanisms work in practice ? Nobody knows, but I think it's a design with a lot of potential.
    @SpottyGekko ;

Well the Ubisoft would be the first dev in 15+ years to properly incentivize a PK/anti-PK system, which would be great as a model to others, but I won't believe it until I see it.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Tiny map
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Well - looks pretty stupid from a gameplay standpoint - hope the cash shop has some nice items, I might buy them at least and then look at them.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    I like a review to tell me about a game, if I want shouting I can go down a high street on a weekend and listen to the drunks, pointless.