Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So whats the appeal of this game?

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Great story, great combat and an overall really fun game to play.

• turinmacleodturinmacleod Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 166
    I was bored stiff in an hour, but to be fair, Asian-themed MMOs don't appeal to me.

T
  • espeonzespeonz Member UncommonPosts: 1
    I'm guessing I am going to have to play this before judging, I have been waiting for it to release and I am pretty excited.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    I was bored stiff in an hour, but to be fair, Asian-themed MMOs don't appeal to me.

T
    +1 I have to say an hour was pushing it for me. Played one, played them all. I actually found ASTA to be a lot more fun if you like these kind of games.
  • JigkiroJigkiro Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Senden said:
    jormm said:
    not even going to read this crap. short answer is, its for the anime nerds!
    As an "anime nerd" I'd agree, the combat definitely has an anime-esque flashiness about it but it's refreshing compared to all the western MMOs I've played over the years. 
    Anime nerd reporting in, and yes.. This is right. So many Western MMOs are just, medieval type of stuff that really has never tickled my fancy. I want my anime, put into a game. Not much to ask for. D:

[PS4: Jigkiro] | [Steam: Jigkiro]

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    edited January 2016
    I don't know what's the appeal of any MMO....

Different strokes for different folks...... It really makes no difference to me, because no matter what game I play I'm bored within a couple weeks there ALL been there done that........ But even if I get that outta them I guess it was worth the time........

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Mortal Kombat online
  • VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    It's new?

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    edited January 2016
    It would've been a good contender against Tera and GW2, but it released way too late in the West.  I haven't heard one person talk about it in other mmos that i've played in the last month.

Maybe i'm delusional, but it looks very similar to Tera.  Their loli female character even has the same animations as Tera's.  Same hairstyles too.  Even Aion and Archeage share the same hairstyles as Tera i think.  It makes me think all three of these games hired the same 3rd party devs to work on their games.  Either that, or they all just ripped off assets from each other.
  • GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281
    So far I'm not to impressed to be honest. Actually let me expand on that. From what I have played and it is not much, I like the menus and the environments. I don't like the hub like zones, I don't like the map overlaying the screen (I know you can tweak this). The reason is like stated by Observer, it feels like Tera. I'm playing a summoner and I dislike that I can't use other races to play that class, but I do like the little feline companion. I really hope the companion changes or evolves or something. I have a feeling I'm going to be disappointed. 

I like that it is free to play so I can potentially see the ending without investing to much money into it before I need to. Honestly I think I'm over MMOs. So many things have changed over the years, but I do like to see what new ones are coming out. I might look at Pantheon, or Black Desert. Hopefully they do something about the gender locking in BD if they have not already. 

Anyway back to this game. From what I have played it does seem rather generic, run of the mill stuff you would expect. I'll honestly say while it doesn't seem bad it does not seem that interesting either. I have only played the one class, but I'm just speaking in general terms. I'll of course try other classes. I do like the story so far and I'm curious to see where it goes. I do like the combat as well. 

The only reason I'd say to try this is because it's free and you can play at your own pace here and there. Otherwise if it was  a monthly sub I would not recommend it. 
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Thane said:
    the movez
    And the boobz :D

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Let me know how the game is after the honeymoon is over (aka the themepark ride).
    You mean, what will everybody be playing next week ? :D
  • JWillCHSJWillCHS Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Graey said:
    So far I'm not to impressed to be honest. Actually let me expand on that. From what I have played and it is not much, I like the menus and the environments. I don't like the hub like zones, I don't like the map overlaying the screen (I know you can tweak this). The reason is like stated by Observer, it feels like Tera. I'm playing a summoner and I dislike that I can't use other races to play that class, but I do like the little feline companion. I really hope the companion changes or evolves or something. I have a feeling I'm going to be disappointed. 

I like that it is free to play so I can potentially see the ending without investing to much money into it before I need to. Honestly I think I'm over MMOs. So many things have changed over the years, but I do like to see what new ones are coming out. I might look at Pantheon, or Black Desert. Hopefully they do something about the gender locking in BD if they have not already. 

Anyway back to this game. From what I have played it does seem rather generic, run of the mill stuff you would expect. I'll honestly say while it doesn't seem bad it does not seem that interesting either. I have only played the one class, but I'm just speaking in general terms. I'll of course try other classes. I do like the story so far and I'm curious to see where it goes. I do like the combat as well. 

The only reason I'd say to try this is because it's free and you can play at your own pace here and there. Otherwise if it was  a monthly sub I would not recommend it. 
    The aesthetics of the art design is great, the combat is fluid, and performance overall is good. Not to mention there are some PvP elements that are very interesting. But this just isn't my type of game. You're right about MMORPGs changing so much over the years.

The one thing that really bothers me is the world building in this game. A lot of zoning and instancing will always ruin my experience in a MMORPG unless there's something truly remarkable about it. I can't find myself getting immersed in this world at all. There's no sense of mystery. That is my number one problem with most MMORPGs today using a quest hub design.

If you're just focused on running instant dungeons/raids, making alts, and doing PvP I'm pretty sure people will have fun. What separates this from other games is obviously the combat. I think that's what sells it for most gamers. For me, it's not enough.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    What world? All I've seen is interconnected tubes so far.
  • gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Well, according to some nerds on their forums it has massive boobs and queues. That seems pretty much everything they need. Utter crap korean f2p game.

Hodor!

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    I gave this a try as it is something new... I always like assassin class characters as I am a huge fan of Melee DPS.

At first the game seemed really cool, I got on the ride and theme parked my way to around lvl 10ish or so, the quests were ok, pretty standard hub style, nothing special here.

Then I come across this quest that basically tells me I am playing my class like shit... This little fidget with rabbit ears talks about doing these insane combos I mean X + 2 + RMB?!!! Took me like 45 mins to nail this 3x to progress the quest. I still try to do this crap while out in the open and I can't for the life of me consistently do nay of the combos for this class.

It is really a downer... I like the way the class plays but unless you're a teenage Asian kid, good luck with these combos...

Now I'll just go back to being an old guy...

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    edited January 2016
    It used to be MASSIVE BOUNCING BOOBIES, but now that that game is censored, I don't think anyone really knows.
  • excela69excela69 Member CommonPosts: 12
    the boobs i think XD
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Reading these forums I often wonder why half of you even play MMORPGs.  Its like people who hate chess, forcing themselves to play chess ... and then going to a chess game forum and complaining about their experience playing chess.  If you don't like MMORPGs, don't play them ... and better yet, quit going to MMORPG forums and crying about them.  MMORPGs are not the only game in town.  Go play something else.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    (  .  )(  .  )
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited January 2016
    Only played to level 8 on a few characters so far but I quite like it for what it tries to do. The game is quite fluid, the story is entertaining and the combat is fun, it's easy to see how it would take a while to master some of the classes.
    I would prefer if it wasn't quite so overtly sexual and if the voiceovers had remained Korean with English subs instead of dubbing, Really cannot stand American dubbing on something that is Eastern based.

It's a shame it's not a bit more open world / less themepark but I'm hoping Black Desert does that side of things.
  • Harbinger1975Harbinger1975 Member UncommonPosts: 244

I would prefer if it wasn't quite so overtly sexual and if the voiceovers had remained Korean with English subs instead of dubbing, Really cannot stand American dubbing on something that is Eastern based.

Then really, honestly, why are you playing it?  You KNEW what Blade and Soul was YEARS ago as Korean.  And western censorship has butchered the game enough already from the original vision of the game.  I'm not trying to be mean here.  But what Blade and Soul is has been know for...what...seven years now?

edited January 2016
    The storyline and interesting characters.

jk

pre censor footage, you're welcome:

Post edited by MikeB on
    edited January 2016
    Then really, honestly, why are you playing it?  You KNEW what Blade and Soul was YEARS ago as Korean.  And western censorship has butchered the game enough already from the original vision of the game.  I'm not trying to be mean here.  But what Blade and Soul is has been know for...what...seven years now?
    Clearly, he was just interested in the story, just like people read playboy for the stories..........

Me, I love boobies, the bigger, the bouncier, the better.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

Err nope, I didn't know what it was like, until the last 2 or 3 days I've only given the game the briefest of glances. Hasn't been on my radar at all.