Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

John Smedley's new company Pixelmage just released a kickstarter

2»

Comments

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568
    Smedley needs to upgrade his PC from that Commodore 64.
  • ThexReporterThexReporter Member UncommonPosts: 124
    HAHAHAHAA
  • donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    Yeah the same Smedley that destroyed SWG and ruined the entire EQ franchise too. Of course this is what everyone does when they get fired is run to kickstarter to beg for money so they can continue to get paid for doing nothing. This is worse than that Pantheon game that McQuaid robbed as his kickstarter failed miserably. People really need to stop throwing money at this garbage. 
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Good rule of thumb do not support any crowdfunding projects at all. If they have a strong enough concept for a modicum of success there is a ton of investor money out there at very low interest I might add. Stop giving people free money that comes with no oversight or conditions. With investor dollars they have waypoints and accounting that keeps them honest, realistic, and driven. With crowdfunding they have parties, new homes, and fast new cars. Enough of this crap stop doing it, all you are doing is hurting the industry. At one point it was a good idea, but now it has become so abused and corrupt that every game developer now feels entitled to as much free money as they want.  
  • breadm1xbreadm1x Member UncommonPosts: 374
    psiic said:
    Good rule of thumb do not support any crowdfunding projects at all. If they have a strong enough concept for a modicum of success there is a ton of investor money out there at very low interest I might add. Stop giving people free money that comes with no oversight or conditions. With investor dollars they have waypoints and accounting that keeps them honest, realistic, and driven. With crowdfunding they have parties, new homes, and fast new cars. Enough of this crap stop doing it, all you are doing is hurting the industry. At one point it was a good idea, but now it has become so abused and corrupt that every game developer now feels entitled to as much free money as they want.  
    Thats funny i think the same way :pleased:
    This is what firefall did with the money peeps spend to improve the game.
    Get a nice custom ride at westcoast custom's :pleased:

And we all know what Lord british is gonna do, visit the ISS again :pleased:

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    psiic said:
    Good rule of thumb do not support any crowdfunding projects at all. If they have a strong enough concept for a modicum of success there is a ton of investor money out there at very low interest I might add. 
    I don't agree with you.

I"m in the arts and I see interesting projects that have fans but that are just not going to make money. That's one of the reasons that when you go to the theater they also ask for donations on top of ticket prices. Ticket prices are only a part of the financial equation for a theater.

The fans, the patrons, those who are interested in this stuff give because they know that there is a small but dedicated audience, they want to see more of it but know that without their support they won't.

Investors invest to make money. To make profit. That's why you go over your retirement investments to make sure you are getting a decent return. Change up your 401k, etc.

Kickstarter allows the dedicated fan base to make things happen that speak to their interests but that won't get investors.

The issues with kickstarters are that people don't take it for what it is (they think if they give money it's a guarantee) and they don't think when it comes to the information given. Is it a group that has a track record of releasing games for instance or is there a playable demo or is there a video of a game that is very far along and they just need to take it to the finish line.

But instead players are shown something cool like some proof of concept video or they are given a laundry list of goods and they immediately jump at it and think that there is a 100% guarantee it will be what they have in their heads. If it comes to fruition.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Zarkin86 said:

Gamers are very dumb. i mean just look at the scam that tim schäfer is trying to pull and his...colleagues...and look at this shitty journalism surrounding us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFX0f_YUn1I  

just watch it. and now tell me if YOU would back this Kickstarter. pls skip the Video back to the start. dont know why its jumping. tried everything.

Thanks for that Video. Very informative. This is a new scam i have not seen before. Very clever way to steal money from people all legal without any way for the scammed to take legal action.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • SyndromofaDownSyndromofaDown Member UncommonPosts: 325
    They just added another pledge $15 which is 5 dollars off the retail price at launch.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,971

Smedley has had a patchy record but going to put that aside. More concerned with the plethora of such kickstarters, players have only so much money and time to spread round. One of the reasons MMO's are struggling is there are two many of them.

Hate to see that happen in indie MMOs.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    edited January 2016
    DMKano said:
    Xodic said:
    That looks interesting. I believe their 1.8 million dollar budget is a little unreasonable,  but maybe the scope of the game justifies that.

I though Brad was the genius behind EverQuest, isn't Smedley just the ring leader?

Nope Eq1 was actually Smedlys concept to begin with.
    Smedley wanted a 3D MMO and provided the funds. Smedley was Director of Development.

But the design and creation of EQ itself was that of Brad. Brad was the Designer and Producer.

• DeathmachinePTDeathmachinePT Member UncommonPosts: 119
    edited January 2016
    Smedly is just a player he is no programmer and not even a designer which in my view must still have knowledge of programming or game art... I don't back anyone who leads a project without that background.
    Anyways nothing of the concept is fresh or innovate. He also murder SWG Box System which is still for me the most innovate progression system...(Which shows no understanding of what he had).
    For me SWG went down because of bad leadership early on, plus every MMORPG that is level based count me out....

ASROCK Z97 E-ITX 
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.5Ghz+KrakenX41
    Gigabyte 1070 8GB Mini OC
    16GB Crucial 1333mhz 1.3V
    SWG 8 Year Vet, WW2OL 8 Year Vet.
    Aka Darksparrow Rancorheart(tempest/farstar), Fxmkorp